Having bizarre laptop issues (please help)

Started by LostSanity, 2016 Jun 26, 12:03:13

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

LostSanity

I'm sorry to post something like this here but I've tried other 'free computer forum' help and they take way to long to respond and everything they had me try clearly didn't work, and I will show/explain what they had me do. Besides, I got computer help on here before. As always, if this is in the incorrect location, please move it to the correct location. Thank you.

So I've been having weird issues with my Windows 7 laptop.

Basically, what happens, is that my Windows Media Player doesn't work when the computer starts up and I let it load and everything. The program comes up but I get the loading circle and it never loads. So I have to use Task Manager to End Task it. When this happens, my free Avast Antivirus won't run virus scans either. The only fix to this seems to be to restart the computer. Which is annoying.

I've already tried multiple ways to detect viruses, malware, etc. and I have already run previous scans where nothing was detected. So that is not the problem.

If you want proof, here is a thread that I posted on on a forum called 'tech guy' forum. You may need to read it to see everything I had to do to try to fix this. Keep in mind this was before I had to do what I ended up restoring it to factory settings.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-was-told-to-post-here-help-i-guess.1171645/

(I'm AlwaysScrewed in that forum)

It got to the point where I was told to restore my laptop to factory settings to fix it. Which I did. I even installed Windows 7 Service Pack 1, which I didn't have previously, and updated it to the most recent updates.

I didn't have the issue for awhile, but now, it is starting up again.

This is annoying and I don't want to restore to factory settings AGAIN because I already did that once. The restarting is annoying as well.

I really don't know what the issue is or how to fix it, and I can't afford a whole new laptop. If someone on here could help me fix this for good, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.
[shadow=gray,left]I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT REIGNS[/shadow]

The Roman Reigns of the forum

HerpyDooves

The only idea I have is to update media player, but I'm sure you already have. I'll keep looking for a solution though.

LostSanity

Quote from: HerpyDooves on 2016 Jun 26, 18:01:41
The only idea I have is to update media player, but I'm sure you already have. I'll keep looking for a solution though.

As far as I know, it is up to date. So yeah.

FeverishPegasus

It may be a good idea to forget the windows media player altogether, and download an open source media player. If those exist.
What is this 'happiness' others speak of

HerpyDooves

There's VLC, but it's known to drain battery life like it's nothing :c

LostSanity

I don't see how that would fix my other issue of Avast not virus scanning when this happens and this doesn't happen at all on my Windows 8.1 desktop which has the same exact programs.

There's got to be some way to fix this...

ono

FeverishPegasus

I think the issue with Avast not scanning has to do with the idea that Windows likes to open up applications sequentially. If you open Google Chrome, Notepad, and Command Prompt in that order, they will come up in that order, even if google chrome takes 2 hours to get ready. If Windows Media Player refuses to open, windows won't allow you to perform the Avast scan (there is a chance I am completely wrong here).

I give you four options for dealing with Windows Media Player:
1. Uninstall, then re-install it (which you've probably done)
2. Restore computer to factory settings (which you've probably done)
3. Use different video playing software and ditch Windows Media Player
4. Ask Microsoft customer service for help
What is this 'happiness' others speak of

LostSanity

Quote from: FeverishPegasus on 2016 Jun 28, 18:07:36
I think the issue with Avast not scanning has to do with the idea that Windows likes to open up applications sequentially. If you open Google Chrome, Notepad, and Command Prompt in that order, they will come up in that order, even if google chrome takes 2 hours to get ready. If Windows Media Player refuses to open, windows won't allow you to perform the Avast scan (there is a chance I am completely wrong here).

I give you four options for dealing with Windows Media Player:
1. Uninstall, then re-install it (which you've probably done)
2. Restore computer to factory settings (which you've probably done)
3. Use different video playing software and ditch Windows Media Player
4. Ask Microsoft customer service for help

I already did number 2 and I don't want to do number 3

Someone will have to help me with numbers 1 and 4.

LostSanity

I've had it wit this issue so I'm sending it to ASUS, it's possibly hardware-related but since it's a 6 year old laptop they may not make the parts for it anymore. It may be unrepairable.

Which is why I got a replacement at Rent-a-Center.

End thread.

Go Up