Equestrian Vocabulry - Somepony help me!

Started by Silver Gust, 2017 Nov 15, 18:42:43

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Silver Gust

Hey everypony. Lemme jump right into it with some backstory and information.

Being somepony that has been a part of the fandom for a few years but never really communicated with anypony else (because antisocial behavior) I'm more than a little out of the loop when it comes to Equestrian vocabulary and I was hoping somepony here would be willing to give me a few examples of the potentially lesser known words or phrases I might be unfamiliar with.

Obviously, the first paragraph proves my knowledge of terms like "everypony" or "anypony" and I've been exposed to certain terms like "lend a hoof" as well.

I've seen the series, up to and including Season 7, and I've seen all of the EQG movies, and the new 2017 version of My Little Pony The Movie (because there might be a few Gen 1-3 bronies here, just had to specify; and that movie was good, but not great in my honest opinion) so I've seen most of what's in the series officially, but I wanted to know if there were any terms that might not appear in the show as often (things I might have forgotten) or specific terms that don't appear in the show and/or movies but are used often in the fandom.

Reading through a few threads on the forum showed me a couple of other terms (and I saw a few new users make the mistake of using 'everyone' or something  similar lol) but I'm sure I missed quite a bit too, as I only checked threads that interested me (and I didn't check any threads more than 2 months old, because I don't know exactly how 'gravedigging' threads is handled here yet)

Thanks in advance!
Twitter: @flatdragont ~ YouTube: The Flat Dragon ~ Twitch: The Flat Dragon

You can call me Silver. Or Silver Gust. Or Dragon. Whatever works. I plan to update my social media stuff soon.

Void92

2017 Nov 19, 11:14:24 #1 Last Edit: 2017 Nov 19, 11:35:55 by DarkDawn
Well. It depends on the person i think. Some people/ponies will say "Hello everypony" and the others "hello everybody/all" for example. As for the other examples imagine, that you need help in something. You can say "can anypony help me?" Or ask if anypony is online. "Anypony here?" or "where's everypony?" , "How's everypony today?" and so on. I don't know all the "pony terms", maybe somepony else can help you out with that. But the basic ones are a good start i think :P In the end it's up to you. I prefer to use "pony language" in-game and on forums  ^-^ We're all ponies in this game, not the humans(at least try to imagine, that you're a pony), so why not use "anypony, everypony etc.?  0:)

As for the "necro" topics. I posted in a few, that were some months old. Why make a new one, if there already exist one? But i apologised for "necroing" thread anyway, just in case  0:)

Soaring Thunderstrike

I am going to have to keep an eye on this since I myself am kinda new to this Fandom.

Night Striker

As far as Equestrian vocab goes, it usually just replaces certain words to their pony respective. Like for "everyone", it changes to "everypony" or like "helping hand" changes to "helping hoof"

And as far as everypony who says "everyone", there's not really much to say about it. it's just a matter of preference or if they're into rp. I switch the two terms every now and again, so there's nothing wrong with saying either of them :P

While I may not be part of LoE staff, I always try to help others who might have problems in LoE the best I can because I want others to share my enjoyment of the game. ^-^

Want to be in a herd? PM to get more details to join the NLR!

Silver Gust

Quote from: Night Striker on 2017 Nov 19, 19:28:02As far as Equestrian vocab goes, it usually just replaces certain words to their pony respective. Like for "everyone", it changes to "everypony" or like "helping hand" changes to "helping hoof"

And as far as everypony who says "everyone", there's not really much to say about it. it's just a matter of preference or if they're into rp. I switch the two terms every now and again, so there's nothing wrong with saying either of them :P
Being somepony with limited experience and great interest in role playing, I'd love to have some more examples that I might not be aware of. If only to help with the immersion factor.

Thanks for the replies, everypony. Looking forward to joining you in game... just as soon as my life decides it wants to get back on the tracks lol.
Twitter: @flatdragont ~ YouTube: The Flat Dragon ~ Twitch: The Flat Dragon

You can call me Silver. Or Silver Gust. Or Dragon. Whatever works. I plan to update my social media stuff soon.

Cloudy Skies

2018 Jan 28, 08:23:33 #5 Last Edit: 2018 Mar 12, 15:30:14 by Cloudy Skies Reason: Added More
The basics are just "anypony somepony" and "everypony". But the rarer ones are "Sweet Celestia!" Or "Oh my Celestia!" Or "Sweet Luna!" Or "Oh my Luna!" Or others like "I'll lend a helping claw." Maybe even "Holy Celestia" or "Holy Luna".
Shnuggles are nature's way of saying "Want a hug?" :P
Also they are a way of saying "I'm scared." :P
They also could mean "CAN I LATCH ONTO YOU LIKE A CRAZY PONY!?!?!?!"

Asriel

Speaking of Equestrian expletives, there is "ponyfeathers," "don't give a flying feather," and "(darn) it all to Tartarus."

Strangely enough, I think the first two were used in the actual show, and the second one was said by Fluttershy.

Other than that, in general, "hand" changes to "hoof," the -man suffix changes to -mare or -pony (Like firepony or mailmare) For male occupations, it's more up to preference, but I think "mailcolt" sounds more natural than a mouthful like "mailstallion."

But in general among bronies, if it makes sense in a pony setting, people will accept it.

Though at the same time, unless you are writing fanfiction or roleplaying, people will be fine with not bothering with the pony vocabulary at all.
"Henceforth," Ditzy continued, "you shall observe Muffin Monday on the first Thursday of every August! You shall commemorate it... with a minute of solemn silence for reflection on the fragility of life. And then, muffins!"

Go Up