You learn something new...

Started by The Stars, 2013 Aug 07, 20:06:06

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

The Stars

Every day :P So, I started to create this thread on the foundary of wanting to know what interesting knowledge the people of LoE know, so if you have an interesting fact you'd like to share with the public that we may or may not know about, go ahead!

As for my contribution, I've been doing studies in Non-Newtonian fluids and how they really differ from Newtonian fluids like water, and for those who don't know, Newtonian fluids have a certain viscosity that always stays constant, and viscosity is the fluid's tendency to flow( Like Water is able to flow more freely than Syrup is). Non-Newtonian fluids, on the other hand, has their viscosity change depending on how much stress is added. The more stress added, the harder and harder the substance becomes.

Spoiler: show

Imagine my surprise when I looked at this video where this guy shoots a gummiebear to test if it could act as a good body armor, and the Bullet hardly even phases through the smaller bear to reach the bigger one o.o Why? Apparently Gummiebears are considered, in their own aspect, Non-Newtonian fluids :U

Who votes that we should have our troops wearing gummiebear suits?
Heads up!

// Thanks a lot Tiger! :D

Chishio Kunrin

Corgis were originally bred as herding dogs. Their legs are short so that, when a cow or a sheep kicks at them, they miss because they kick above the corgi's head.

Which came first, the Miniature Pinscher or the Doberman Pinscher?
Answer: Miniature Pinscher.
A German tax collector by the last name of Dobermann saw a miniature pinscher and figured that a larger version of that dog would look intimidating enough to help protect him from people who were violent toward tax collectors. So, he set out to breed a larger version of the miniature pinscher.
A doberman's fur is extremely short, and its skin is more tightly pressed to its muscles, to show off its muscles and make it more intimidating. Because of this, they don't handle the cold very well.
Dobermans are born with floppy ears and long tails. Most owners have the ears cropped and the tail docked.

There's a breed of cat called a ragdoll, which goes limp when you pick it up.

Dogs that are considered "hypoallergenic" aren't actually hypoallergenic. They're just a lot less allergenic. This is because they have hair instead of fur. Fur grows to a point and then sheds off. Hair keeps growing. Dogs that have hair, like poodles, require a little more work, though, because they need their hair cut and groomed every once in a while.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Go Up