Odd cooking mistakes

Started by Lord of Madness, 2012 Nov 24, 17:37:39

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Lord of Madness on 2012 Nov 26, 03:41:05
Quote from: SweBow on 2012 Nov 26, 02:59:07
I once reheated a lasanga I made in the microwave. All of a sudden I hear a loud pop noise and the whole inside of the microwave is covered in lasagna. I still to this day haven't figured out how it happened but my guess is some airpocket.

I am still laughing at the image in my head of this.

Me too. :P Splat!

Quote from: ComputerDeathglare on 2012 Nov 26, 03:45:13
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Nov 26, 02:25:47
I burned peanut butter once.

I just... I don't... this forum.

If you've ever put peanut butter on your toast immediately after it comes out of the toaster, you know that peanut butter tastes even better when melted.

Now, melt some peanut butter in the microwave, but only for like... 3 seconds. Mix it with jelly, put it between two slices of bread, and you have an amazing peanut butter jelly sandwich.

If you try to melt it for too long, it'll burn and smell really weird like burnedness and pickles and mustard.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

ComputerDeathglare

Today I had yogurt that tasted like alcohol.

I shouldn't even, but I do.
By Sulfur

dA
Tumblr (SFW)

Rissian

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Nov 26, 04:01:40
If you've ever put peanut butter on your toast immediately after it comes out of the toaster, you know that peanut butter tastes even better when melted.

Now, melt some peanut butter in the microwave, but only for like... 3 seconds. Mix it with jelly, put it between two slices of bread, and you have an amazing peanut butter jelly sandwich.

If you try to melt it for too long, it'll burn and smell really weird like burnedness and pickles and mustard.

That actually makes me wonder if melted peanut butter on an apple is better then normal peanut butter on it, I bet it is.

So I learned you should never ever put poptarts in the microwave, it turned the inside of the poptart into cherry flavored glue that refused to come off your teeth it took some time to get my teeth clean again after that and I'm still unsure as to why it turned into glue.  :I

(Now I want a peanut butter jelly and banana slice sandwich for some reason, I bet apple slices would also be good in it.  :3 )

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Trege on 2012 Nov 26, 04:43:09
So I learned you should never ever put poptarts in the microwave, it turned the inside of the poptart into cherry flavored glue that refused to come off your teeth it took some time to get my teeth clean again after that and I'm still unsure as to why it turned into glue.  :I

A microwave heats something from the inside out, hence how it cooks popcorn and can explode lasagna and hot dogs.
Meanwhile, a toaster heats it from the outside in, which tends to let you make the outside of bread crispy without burning the inside.

Normally, the stuff inside the poptart isn't exposed to a lot of heat because the outside part takes most of the heat.

Rissian

2012 Nov 26, 05:12:29 #24 Last Edit: 2012 Nov 26, 05:25:11 by Trege
Yup, I already knew that it heats things from the inside out I just didn't expect it to have that kind of effect on the poptart. There was just no way of me knowing that poptarts would turn into glue when heated from the inside out as most things similar to them tend to melt instead.  X3  It wasn't gooey glue either it was already slightly solid and sticky at the same time. Kind of like jolly rancher candy.

Chishio Kunrin

I just reheated a rare steak in the microwave, and it came out like... medium rare. I don't understand. And it kind of bothers me a little, considering I do quite enjoy my steak rare.

Rissian

2012 Nov 26, 05:34:03 #26 Last Edit: 2012 Nov 26, 05:47:33 by Trege
Err, is it because rare is usually on the inside of the steak? As the outside is cooked first on grills and stoves. x3

(For some reason rare steaks tend to upset my stomach, the sad thing is they taste good I wonder if I have trouble digesting meat for some reason. Chicken and Turkey never bother me though since they are lighter. :l )

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Trege on 2012 Nov 26, 05:34:03
Err, is it because rare is usually on the inside of the steak? As the outside is cooked first on grills and stoves. x3

(For some reason rare steaks tend to upset my stomach, the sad thing is they taste good I wonder if I have trouble digesting meat for some reason. Chicken and Turkey never bother me though since they are lighter. :l )

Maybe your stomach just has problems with semi-raw meat.

And yesh, but I didn't expect a short time in the microwave to actually do some real cooking. I just wanted it warm, not cooked. It's hard to explain. My brain is derp.

Rissian

2012 Nov 26, 05:54:03 #28 Last Edit: 2012 Nov 26, 06:01:02 by Trege
My brain likes to derp occasionally on me as well. I can't remember half of my cooking mishaps and I know I've probably had more than just burning cookies or glue poptarts.  ovO

(Our Microwave when set to high can burn or cook certain things in seconds.)

SweBow

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Nov 26, 05:50:55
Quote from: Trege on 2012 Nov 26, 05:34:03

Maybe your stomach just has problems with semi-raw meat.

And yesh, but I didn't expect a short time in the microwave to actually do some real cooking. I just wanted it warm, not cooked. It's hard to explain. My brain is derp.

It happens to me when I use way to much power. Basically you boil the steak.

Book Smarts

I tried to microwave a chicken patty, and when I took it out, the patty looked as if it had been inflated. When I took a bite out of it, it was completely burnt on the inside.

DrizzleMutt

I like to see that most of these stories are involving the microwave.

I've once put a tray of french fries into the oven, and later to notice that they had caught fire. Found out that the pan was covered in a flammable grease.

ShadowHeart

I've never had any major ones but I usually just get the handle on the mixer stuck and when it finally gets unstuck, it zooms up to the speed of 10 and flour goes flying

Join the changeling herd, or she'll devour your love!

The Wandering Magus

I've spilled udon onto the stove and had to clean up... oh, and also dropped the flour on the floor.  That was "fun".
(sorry Bakasan, chose this image)
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636
my art: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=298
visiting soldier sister, be back 8/12/2013

Rissian

When I first made pancakes a long time ago if I recall I accidentally made giant ones that didn't cook very well in the middle they were still doey in the middle but also still tasted great I actually like slightly undercooked pancakes now after that.  :D

The Wandering Magus

I can't seem to flip eggs properly...
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636

Lord of Madness

Quote from: The Wandering Magus on 2012 Nov 26, 20:54:36
I can't seem to flip eggs properly...

ever get one to stick to the ceiling?

The Wandering Magus

Julius

This one time I wanted to make scrambled eggs but we were short on ingredients.

I had peaches and some pepperoni though.

That was... So disgusting...

Can't believe it seemed like a good idea at the time. X3

But it was worth a try. I've made some insane mixes when cooking before, but believe me, more often than not the results are fantastic! :]
Purr~

Chishio Kunrin

Burnt omelette is horrible, especially when you're already feeling sick. For some reason, at the time, it smelled a little like peanut butter to me. After tasting a burnt part, I immediately lost my appetite and went back to sleep. :I

Go Up