Borderlands 2 and other co-op related games... Play Styles...

Started by Rainbow Twist, 2014 Jan 29, 00:37:15

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Rainbow Twist

I figured i'd post this here... why not, gotta give a newbie registrant something to do beyond poking at the devs/moderators.

I'll give you a bit of a boring breakdown of things. First off, I've played video games long enough single player for so long, i'm just sick of it. I grew up without anyone to play with, firstly with the initial consoles that arrived, the fact that I lived on a farm which made even a few friend I did have totally unavailable. And when internet became a thing, being restricted to ultra low speed dialup that was so unreliable, that even attempting to play a multiplayer game over it was rather pointless. Wasn't until 2003 that I got my first taste of online capabilities for games. So playing single player really doesn't interest me, at all, one bit. Additionally I honestly don't know anyone in person that plays any of the games. "Where are all your school buddies or whatnot.... people you've met along the way", sadly, I would be considered to be "that one dude" out of an entire school that was into the technology and electronics and stuff, "the weird nerdy/geeky" one. In fact it was at such a level that makes a b rated movie about such a case look rather mild, in terms of an entire school being all about sports and physical activities... I was basically the only one who that played pc games and NES/SNES (at the time). So you can kinda figure out where i'm coming from... oh the country rural life of a technofreak. (I was born 10-20 years too soon perhaps)

I'm already aware of the steam id thread, in fact posted my info there already. But a good of people that add "friends" to a steam list I find rarely ever seem to communicate or rather even play any games together. I know I've got an extremely short list of friends, and it's been well over a year since I managed to work getting in a game.

I find that a large chunk of people WHIP through a game as fast as they can and total disregard for either the other player or looking around, rush ahead and leave the others behind. Like they're just playing single player, and the others are just there to watch it all happen and get tugged around. This however isn't my play style, so I can completely comprehend the issues of those that I may view as impatient as them viewing me as slow. (then again I rarely die vs them getting slaughtered repeatedly .... experience has shown me that.... Sometimes a good offense is the best defense, but if you're dying that much, it's not a good offense....).

I'm searcher, I like to cover everything before moving on, make sure I've collected everything I can and i'm extremely patient. I prefer to work together, provide cover fire in the event of a fps or shoot em up game. I'm also one that prefers let another take the lead and i'll follow so long as you don't just CHARGE full on into an ambush or outright clear suicide.

I'm there to have fun, not to win, sometimes messing up badly and falling to ones death or getting caught up in some unexpected circumstances are among the most interesting and fun things to do. While others tend to get mad and frustrated, I usually enjoy it unless it's a clear and obvious game bug that's occurring.

I like to grind a bit on things, i'll replay zones I've already been for no other purpose than to have fun doing it, no mission or objective to complete.

Most of this is all reference to playing borderlands 2 (I've got one which I haven't finished yet unfortunately as well), but my typical play style mostly goes throughout the various genres.

Strategy games for example is heavy defense and build, the few games I've played with others (rarely have), I've always been the resource/bank and defender of my allies, where my allies usually take point and build their armies while I keep their areas safe.

I'm also one that doesn't mind at all creating a new character to play with someone else. I even save that character for later in the event they wish to play, just so that I don't out level them or what have you.

So i'm not sure how many people out there might have a similar play style or at least a use/respect for this kind. But i'm always looking for someone to have a game with. All my gaming is PC, so unfortunately can't "hang out" with anyone on a console. And i'm not exactly swimming in games either... but I've always got an eye out for a game to try.

Anywho.. enough of the boring stuff.

If you happen to be interested in a game, and I happen to have it.... i'm usually able to play during weekends and evenings CST ( 6pm to 1am GMT -6 no DST)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/dhjudas/

Verdant Tome

We're pretty similar in a bunch of aspects. I, too, take things slower than others, and take time to look around an area before leaving it.

In terms of fighting, my preferred style is to take out whatever's attacking me or my group as fast as possible, before it gets close, so my weapons of choice are sniper rifles and assault rifles in semi-auto or burst-fire mode (with full auto to fall back on when things get hectic).

When I'm in a group, I do my best to keep my teammates out of harm and cover them. If one of them goes down, I will slash my way over to them to get them back up, unless I'm absolutely sure I won't survive long enough to help them.

I will be a leader if I think I'm experienced enough to guide my teammates; otherwise, I'll support them to the best of my ability. If I think I can contribute more by separating, whether to flank an enemy or cause a distraction, I will, otherwise, I am either by my team's side, or covering them with precision fire from farther back.

This is where some dissimilarities pop up, though; whereas you play to have fun, I play to win, and my patience will eventually wear thin, despite my best efforts. Also, I tolerate grinding to a degree, but if I'm doing the same thing for the something-teenth time, it becomes boring, tedious, and disengaging to me.

Most of my co-op experience comes from Left 4 Dead, where cooperation and teamwork is crucial to survival. I've also played a bit of co-op Borderlands 2; my more-experienced friends rushed through so fast that I had to go back and start the game over just so I understood what I had just been dragged through.

Steam profile is here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/codefreak5/ , and I'm available during Mountain Standard time 6 PM to midnight on weekdays, and sometime past noon to sometime past midnight on weekends. (GMT: 1 AM to 7 AM weekdays, past 7 PM to past 7 AM weekends)

We should play Borderlands 2 sometime, I think that'd be fun.

Prismatic

Heh, yeah I remember not being able to play a lot of my older DOS games in multiplayer until I managed to scrounge up a LAN set up last year when I got really bored.

I think what sets me apart is that I'm not really a competitive gamer so a lot of online play doesn't interest me as much.  I know there's a lot of CO-OP games out there but I also lost interest with FPS games sometime after 2004 or so.  I'm the kind of person that I prefer to pick up an FPS, play it for 5 minutes or 5 hours, and it shouldn't matter how I'm geared compared to other players.  Or that FPS games haven't changed much.

Although I've played enough WoW to where I prefer single player games nowadays to take a break from it all.

Rainbow Twist

I tried to keep the main thread post relatively concise.... i can elaborate.... but that'd be pages.

My first multiplayer experience came with Quake, and boy was it a riot. Granted on the dialup 9600bps connection, it was basically a free kill from me... .but boy when things settled, sometimes it's all about the BASIC mechanics of that game that required serious skill and precision the made the old games among the BEST games even today... I swear if they took Quake 1, and completely upgraded the graphics and visuals, a little better netcode to prevent lag and improve efficiency, while keeping the mechanics of the game and it's gameplay, it would be phenominal.

But overall, in a fps or shoot em up style game, i don't dwell on close quarters combat, only very specific games will i get into that kind of setup. Otherwise i tend to favor my sniper rifle, and find sweet spots. Sadly with all the haters of "camping" out there, more modern games implemented camp prevention systems, it's rather sad. "CAMPER!!!".... or worse, getting called a cheater for picking people off without using the scope. "no scope" i beleive they call it, and i can't tell if it's insult or compliment. I've been booted from Counter Strike Source games repeatedly for managing to out fire a machine gun prior to them coding the dual elites to have a delayed fire, even those that tried to code a script to fire them rapidly couldn't touch me.

But i'm not an avid FPSer, like i said.. do it for fun, and playing against entirely ULTRA random people that i have no hope of holding a conversation with ever anywhere, simply doesn't interest me, i'd rather play bots on various difficulties.

I like my diablo 3, that's a fun game to roast through in co-op, would love to experience a 2/3/4 co-op run.

Some strategy games, some side scrollers. Risk of Rain is a good example of what looks like it'd be tough yet quite fun to play multiplayer.

I'm sure there are hundreds of games i'd enjoy. But like i've said, playing single player just doesn't do it.

I know borderlands i've a lvl 39 character whom has basically just finished one roll through on the game and started over at the next rung up for difficulty.

My diablo III character is lvl 46, and has also only done ONE run of game and is i think on act 3 of the next difficulty up.

Those 2 games i think are the only games that actually use xp/levels. The rest i think you can view for what games i have in the steam profile. I do have Mass effect, sadly that isn't co-op (but boy that would be great if it was).

Prismatic

QuoteMy first multiplayer experience came with Quake...

...I had that set up at a brony convention last year, it was very, very well liked.  :3

Although for me I prefer the unpredictability and higher paced FPS games.  I tend to try to take myself not too seriously with them.

(And I will state FPS games of the 90s is where it's at, for me anyway).

Rainbow Twist

i was actually involved in mostly a one man show of compiling a quake pack, with all expansions and maps, combining various packages created by others into a single WORKING and already setup package for quake.

I even did a MASSIVE chunk of the textures myself...

I kept frequent builds and backups of the progress. Used Darkplaces engine for it. Had a good number of the new sounds implemented... and they weren't just copies from newer games, they kept the unique style/effect that make quake, quake, just not limited to a really poor raw 8bit mono sound with little to no depth.

Somehow over the years i managed to lose it, i poured literally hundreds of hours into the project.

I played a handful of Doom multiplayer... but the real fun really began with quake. Even playing co-op is a riot still provided you set the difficulty lever to max.... getting slaughtered repeatedly it quite hilarious.

Go Up