Introducing Karma!

Started by Liska, 2012 Apr 06, 00:06:41

previous topic - next topic

Keep or remove?

Keep the Karma System
Remove the Karma System
Go Down

Legulus

I like this system. Now post count doesn't matter and people will take time to make quality posts :)
There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those that don't ;)
Thanks to Jenzy for mah avatar.

Mr.Darkling

I can see this being abused amongst close-knitted pony groups who would rather give karma to each other for simply being friends with them, than actually giving karma for a decent post.
I hate to be the only one to dislike this feature (seen as so many approve already), but it's features like this that stroke people's egos and creates elitists amongst the community.

I speak on experience from past forums I've been too; an explanation as to why I am negative towards this, I am not saying I am right.

Who knows though, LoE might be different.
"Man is a make-believe animal, he is never so truly himself as when he is acting the part"

Zygrograxgra

Quote from: Mr.Darkling on 2012 Apr 06, 14:26:25
I can see this being abused amongst close-knitted pony groups who would rather give karma to each other for simply being friends with them, than actually giving karma for a decent post.
I hate to be the only one to dislike this feature (seen as so many approve already), but it's features like this that stroke people's egos and creates elitists amongst the community.

I speak on experience from past forums I've been too; an explanation as to why I am negative towards this, I am not saying I am right.

I like the system, but not the way it was implemented. So, I'm in with you on the 'dislike' thing.

Titanium Mushrooms
Are you happy yet?!

McSleuthburger

Quote from: Mr.Darkling on 2012 Apr 06, 14:26:25

we can only hope for that to be true, but meh I dont really put too much into a number
Ye-olde ex mod
You've just been McSleuthburgered!

snarfgsnor

its actully intresting where this will bring us. but i have to agree with darkling here. it might be abused but we'll see how it goes and hope for the best.

avatar made by TheMysteriousArtist,and stardust for the pictures in the signature. go check thoose artists out!!

Sonic Heart

Maybe, also a reason. "Why do you want to give this person -/+ karma?" it will help a little (i think) to stop karma spam , also a link to the post the karma was given.

Mr.Darkling

If the system remains I would rather see why someone's post was given good or bad karma.
At least then it gives understanding and more clarity amongst the community rather than just being some number with no real meaning to others at all, aside from looking a tad pretentious.

I myself have received karma. I know why but no one else ever will.
It's just another number to them.
There should at least be an option to share your Karma info at least; I would certainly have mine set to public.
It gives people a better idea of who I am and the people who karma me for whatever reason and so on.
"Man is a make-believe animal, he is never so truly himself as when he is acting the part"

Ozzy

2012 Apr 06, 17:38:33 #28 Last Edit: 2012 Apr 06, 17:41:29 by Ozzy
I agree with what Mr.Darkling has said, if it's just a number and other users can't see why they have that reputation, I don't see how it is any differen't from the post count really..it's just a number, it influences people giving rep just because sompony already has alot of rep
It could also be subject to Bias in some cases, unfortunatly  >.<
*Gives Mr.Darkling Ironic Rep*

Liska

I will not be making karma public for everyone to see.
Administrators and moderators (I think) are the only ones who have access to view everypony's karma.

I'm giving the Karma system at least a week before deciding to take it down or not.

The whole goal was that reputation was given when someone posts something of good quality. If this doesn't work out, then we'll start lowering people's karma and eventually disabling the system altogether.

It's really just a test.

I see where everyone's coming from about the whole "elite" groups thing, but I've seen a couple of forums where this same karma system worked very well.
Then again, everyone seems too friendly to be giving negative karma when someone deserves it, which may be another problem.

I dunno, we'll see. :)

Lord of Madness

im actually going to be using the dislike button, i see ponies having a petty fight on a thread...

snarfgsnor

i would use the dislike option too sometimes ^^ but i wont say when ovO

Quote"im actually going to be using the dislike button, i see ponies having a petty fight on a thread..."

*whistle* i did nothing  :')

avatar made by TheMysteriousArtist,and stardust for the pictures in the signature. go check thoose artists out!!

Thunder Jet

But the dislike button is =(
The like button is =)

Ninkon

une puissance réputation! Je suis un super héros! Merci Beaucoup poneys agréable.  *-*

_____Cedar Woods____________Chilly Breeze_____________Bronze Kettle_____
http://forum.legendsofequestr

Thunder Jet

Bonjour Ninkon, comment ca va?

Zygrograxgra

Arrête de parler français
Je vais vous poignarder si vous n'avez pas

Titanium Mushrooms
Are you happy yet?!

Ninkon

Quote from: Thunder Jet on 2012 Apr 06, 21:47:09
Bonjour Ninkon, comment ca va?
I'm fine, but I've been told to stop speaking French

_____Cedar Woods____________Chilly Breeze_____________Bronze Kettle_____
http://forum.legendsofequestr

Thunder Jet

Pourqoui est-ce tu ne parle pas francais?

Zygrograxgra

Quote from: Thunder Jet on 2012 Apr 06, 21:59:14
Pourqoui est-ce tu ne parle pas francais?

I do speak it, but this is an English forum. Please only use English in conversations, only side comments should be French. It's not very nice.

Titanium Mushrooms
Are you happy yet?!

Lord of Madness

you guys were greatly confusing me

Go Up