Do you speak another language?

Started by ajf, 2012 Oct 06, 19:27:25

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Rad Thunder

Only English fully, with some German and Spanish.
I'd really like to learn Portuguese, since I have several friends in Brazil. :P

Little Judas

Dutch, English and a basic knowledge of French.
Thanks to Julius for my OC. (see the avatar)

Let it fly in the breeze and get caught in the trees, Give a home to the fleas, in my hair
A home for fleas, a hive for the buzzing bees, A nest for birds, there ain't no words
For the beauty, splendor, the wonder of my hair

Deviant

Dutch , English , Croatian/Serbian , basic German Knowledge , Basic French Knowledge , Basic Russian (speaking only) knowledge.

Poets Corner

How is that like, speaking Spanish and hearing Portugeese? Is it like listening to someone with a weird accent? Or is it closer to what it would be like for me to listen to Pidgin English?
The streets are empty. Wind skims the voids keeping neighbors apart, as if grazing the hollow of a cut reed, or say, a plundered mailbox. A familiar note is produced. It's the one Desolation plays to keep its instrument in tune.

Firey

Ben bilmekebilir Turkce ve biraz Italyan ve ben niyet bilgi cince, Rusca, Japonca, Malayca, Norvecce, Fransizca,  Isvicre, isvecce, Fince ve Almanca.

I can speak Turkish and a little bit of Italian and I plan on learning Chinese (Mandarin), Russian,
Japanese, Malay, Norwegian, Swiss, Swedish, Finnish and German.

It's a lot of languages, but I'll hopefully learn it over time...      ovO
The pain of loneliness...it hurts...

Rayman

Chiallaíonn sé seo do cheist a fhreagairt?  :s
Sometimes when life give you rules you just gotta say, "Forget it. #Yolo."Also thank you Jenzy for the icon. :3
http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=4521.0#new <- To those who wants to know my

ajf

Quote from: Poets Corner on 2012 Oct 07, 18:06:37
How is that like, speaking Spanish and hearing Portugeese? Is it like listening to someone with a weird accent? Or is it closer to what it would be like for me to listen to Pidgin English?
Not Spanish or Portuguese, but I do speak some Spanish. I'd say more like Pidgin English... you recognise a lot of words when written, but they're pronounced pretty differently, and there's also a bunch of things you don't recognise at all.

Sonic Heart

Spanish and portugese resemble a LOT, also there are some parts of countrys that mix both spanish and portugese and have another language (don't know how it's called).
Like the Spain and Portugal borders, they mix some spanish and portugese, or the Argentina - Brasil- Uruguay (my country  :3) borders, they mix some spanish and portugese too.

RF941

My mane (yes, mane...) language is Italian, but also I can understand basic English. Also I know a little bit of French, but really a little bit.

Book Smarts

Can anybody recommend a cheap japanese learning program? I keep trying to independently learn it, but I always get side tracked and distracted  :l

ajf

Quote from: Book Smarts on 2012 Oct 09, 12:34:23
Can anybody recommend a cheap japanese learning program? I keep trying to independently learn it, but I always get side tracked and distracted  :l
If you have an iOS device, iStart Japanese! is really good. (that's an i, iStart, not upside down exclamation mark)

Shining Armor

I don't know any languages as well as English and Spanish, but I speak words in French and German. Tengo un problema de hablar y escribir en francés y alemán.
I don't really shine, too dirty.

Book Smarts

Quote from: ajf on 2012 Oct 09, 13:43:42
Quote from: Book Smarts on 2012 Oct 09, 12:34:23
If you have an iOS device, iStart Japanese! is really good. (that's an i, iStart, not upside down exclamation mark)

I actually had that app for my ipod touch before I sold it, that's how I got what little Japanese I know from

LaptopCommandStation

As a Canadian we are forced to learn both English and French in school(Grades 4-9 are mandatory), but I took it in Gr.10 too.  That was ~6 years ago so i'm starting to forget it(French).  Je n'aime pas parler francais.  Desole.  ovO
I tried making sure I said that correctly and google translate says that means I don't speak french....I speak enough to know that's wrong... lol

The Wandering Magus

2012 Oct 11, 00:40:29 #34 Last Edit: 2012 Oct 11, 00:55:48 by The Wandering Magus
nihongo wo sukoushi naratta kedo, mou jozu ni naritai.  Yon nen dake naratta.

pero mi espanol es poquitito mejor.  no puedo hablar la lenguaje muy rapido, pero en conversaciones normales generalmente entiendo lo que otros estan hablando.  asistie cinco anos de clases en ese lenguaje.

wo jidao wo de zhongwen bu shi tai hao, keshi wo shang le san nen de zhongwen ke.  bu shi tai duo, keshi ruguo wo gen wo de jiaren shuo, wo dong tamen sho de ji.  keshi, wo bu keyi nian hen duo.  wo xiang yao renshi, keshi hen duo de xihao meiyou dong zhongwen de ren zai zharli.

dunhai gno ge guongdongwa du mcho, yiguo yao hai ni do shurng tong ngo lien ye hai si ha gong guongdongwa jiao wa bei gno tang la.

(in case you can't read any of that, japanese, spanish, mandarin and cantonese.  i only took about a year's worth of quenya (elvish), and forgot a lot of my latin, unfortunately.)
(sorry Bakasan, chose this image)
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636
my art: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=298
visiting soldier sister, be back 8/12/2013

Stitchin Time

My main language is English, I do know some French, and I'm learning Russian. :3

Julius

Main language is Spanish and I can perfectly speak, sing, write and think in English. How'd I learn? Videogames. Seriously, no classes, just videogames.

I used to correct my english teachers these past couple of years in highschool (Graduated this year)! lol

Looking forward to learning Italian (Which I somehow understand a bit of, though at the moment can't speak or write... Wait... Pizza! Gelato!) and French (Same as Italian).

I guess I can understand some portuguese since it's so similar to spanish. As someone else said, it's easier to read than to listen to it, that's for sure. But I can still communicate barely with people who speak the language.

And nice spanish Magus! Could use some polishing here and there, but you can get by just fine! ^-^
Purr~

Little Star

Quote from: ajf on 2012 Oct 07, 09:31:02
Quote from: StarSong on 2012 Oct 07, 09:29:24
I speak chinese..... But I dont have the tones in my keyboard :/
But you wouldn't use pinyin anyway, you'd use simplified or traditional Hanzi.

If you look in your keyboard settings you can probably enable the Chinese IME, enabling you to type in pinyin, press space, and see it converted to Hanzi.
Thank you!

Lary

Can you help me carry my el bago to the el hotel room? I have my key-o...

taco...

burrito...

GUACAMOLE!
Could've been something great. But ya' blew it... Ya' blew it.

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: Julius on 2012 Oct 11, 07:30:14
Main language is Spanish and I can perfectly speak, sing, write and think in English. How'd I learn? Videogames. Seriously, no classes, just videogames.

I used to correct my english teachers these past couple of years in highschool (Graduated this year)! lol

Looking forward to learning Italian (Which I somehow understand a bit of, though at the moment can't speak or write... Wait... Pizza! Gelato!) and French (Same as Italian).

I guess I can understand some portuguese since it's so similar to spanish. As someone else said, it's easier to read than to listen to it, that's for sure. But I can still communicate barely with people who speak the language.

And nice spanish Magus! Could use some polishing here and there, but you can get by just fine! ^-^
gracias, julius!  ^-^  un dia quiero hablarla fluentemente x3

Quote from: StarSong on 2012 Oct 11, 07:41:15
Quote from: ajf on 2012 Oct 07, 09:31:02
Quote from: StarSong on 2012 Oct 07, 09:29:24
I speak chinese..... But I dont have the tones in my keyboard :/
But you wouldn't use pinyin anyway, you'd use simplified or traditional Hanzi.

If you look in your keyboard settings you can probably enable the Chinese IME, enabling you to type in pinyin, press space, and see it converted to Hanzi.
Thank you!
nin shi zhonguoren ma? wo de jiating zai guangzhou lai :3

(sorry Bakasan, chose this image)
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636
my art: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=298
visiting soldier sister, be back 8/12/2013

Go Up