Want to play?

Started by SweBow, 2012 Sep 21, 21:42:31

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

SweBow

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Sep 25, 19:10:37
Quote from: Weatherboy1 on 2012 Sep 25, 19:06:45
So... when will you announce more Info, I'm dying to know!

Probably Thursday or Friday. :o

Most likely tomorrow

Xeno Aura

Quote from: The Wandering Magus on 2012 Sep 26, 04:48:09
Quote from: Xeno Aura on 2012 Sep 26, 04:32:29
Luckily I don't think LoE is big enough (yet) to attract the attention of anyone who has any DOS power.

Anyone with any slave computers available would probably hit a more high-profile target, people usually do this for the attention factor, and bragging rights.
makes sense, although given the attention Bronyism in general has gotten in the past, you never know.  I'm probably just paranoid though.

If they wanted to hit the Bronies, they'd hit EQD, that gets thousands of views a day, so we'll have them to draw fire from LoE. :D

And can't wait for tomorrow. :)

SweBow

Quote from: Xeno Aura on 2012 Sep 26, 06:14:07
Luckily I don't think LoE is big enough (yet) to attract the attention of anyone who has any DOS power.

Anyone with any slave computers available would probably hit a more high-profile target, people usually do this for the attention factor, and bragging rights.
makes sense, although given the attention Bronyism in general has gotten in the past, you never know.  I'm probably just paranoid though.

If they wanted to hit the Bronies, they'd hit EQD, that gets thousands of views a day, so we'll have them to draw fire from LoE. :D

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/09/legends-of-equestria-stress-test-during.html <--

Little Judas

Quote from: SweBow on 2012 Sep 26, 07:48:44
Quote from: Xeno Aura on 2012 Sep 26, 06:14:07

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/09/legends-of-equestria-stress-test-during.html <--

SweBow has contacts with EQD, DHN, ...
The word will get out. Then again, I believe everypony has heard about the word.
Thanks to Julius for my OC. (see the avatar)

Let it fly in the breeze and get caught in the trees, Give a home to the fleas, in my hair
A home for fleas, a hive for the buzzing bees, A nest for birds, there ain't no words
For the beauty, splendor, the wonder of my hair

Wandering Star

Ok, new microphone purchased. I am going to record the http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=2470.0">Read the forum rules. outta this stress test. (Only in Spanish, sorry guys  X3)

LaptopCommandStation

Heh, I kinda laughed at this
I was Ddos'd during a comp match last year, which means there are people who play my dinky little game who have the capacity to pull off a dos attack.  Don't underestimate people.
I'm hardly considered high-profile(but I think the other team won because I couldn't get past the dos attack for a good 2 hours)

SweBow

LaptopCommandStation

I was going off the information our clan's programmer/Web admin was giving me.  He said something about a 1-1 dos attack.

I thought flooding a network with packets was a dos attack.  Sorry if I don't understand the difference, I try to sound like I know what i'm talking about... X3

Xeno Aura

2012 Sep 26, 10:32:50 #288 Last Edit: 2012 Sep 26, 10:37:27 by Xeno Aura
DDoS is where multiple systems all flood the server with data at once, only 1 system gives the command and the other systems (usually without the owners knowledge or consent) start attacking the server as well. It then overloads the server and it shuts down.

If you have malware on your system, it may be that someone who uses DDoS attacks has made your PC a slave, and therefore, enabled it to be used in their DDoS attacks.

Some large hacking groups who have followings offer programs you can download where you willingly offer your PC as a DDoS slave for their attacks.

EVE Online was attacked by a DDoS last year, by a rather famous group, who used thousands of PC's to simultaneously flood the EVE servers, causing some of them to crash.

LaptopCommandStation

I actually knew that, I looked up Ddos'ing after the attack on me

What is the difference between a Ddos/dos attack, and flooding my PC causing my network to fail?

Oh, and sorry i'm off topic but if I find out i'm wrong about something I was positive I was right about I love knowing why i'm wrong, especially when it's computer related.

Xeno Aura

2012 Sep 26, 10:43:52 #290 Last Edit: 2012 Sep 26, 10:48:29 by Xeno Aura
Distributed Denial of Service is just a form of Denial of Service.

DoS is used to flood a network. DDoS is a term used when many computers flood a network simultaneously, probably the most common DoS attack.

I don't quite understand what you mean by "flooding your PC"? If your network failed, it's possible they used a PC a send you a ton of packets and your network just couldn't handle it and it disconnected.

LaptopCommandStation

*Sigh*
I have to go to work soon, so I'm gonna drop this for now.  All I wanted to know was what happened to me that day where my network was taken down for 2 hours by "flooding my network with false packets causing it to not respond to anything for 2 hours" and how that is different from a DoS attack as based on my research a DoS attack is "One common method of attack involves saturating the target machine with external communications requests, such that it cannot respond to legitimate traffic, or responds so slowly as to be rendered effectively unavailable."

LouKONG

I am so  :P up for this game, um when does it release?
Blaze

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: LaptopCommandStation on 2012 Sep 26, 11:03:59
*Sigh*
I have to go to work soon, so I'm gonna drop this for now.  All I wanted to know was what happened to me that day where my network was taken down for 2 hours by "flooding my network with false packets causing it to not respond to anything for 2 hours" and how that is different from a DoS attack as based on my research a DoS attack is "One common method of attack involves saturating the target machine with external communications requests, such that it cannot respond to legitimate traffic, or responds so slowly as to be rendered effectively unavailable."
single machine vs multiple machine, in this case.

DoS
#>1? <yes> = DDoS
<no> = DoS

So DDoS is a subset of DoS, or that's what I'm seeing from Xeno's definition.
(sorry Bakasan, chose this image)
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636
my art: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=298
visiting soldier sister, be back 8/12/2013

Anibell April Dash

So does this release on thursday,friday or the start of saturday? I really want to play it and i dont wanna be late to do so!

Ahaut

Friday, when Canterlot Gardens starts. I'm assuming there's going to be a big gaming panel, that's probably when we'll get access to the game.

Also URL text colour needs to be changed :c

The Wandering Magus

between thursday night and friday night, depending on your timezone, if I'm calculating it correctly.  Then again, I'm on the West Coast of the USA, so that might screw around with my perception of time x3
(sorry Bakasan, chose this image)
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636
my art: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=298
visiting soldier sister, be back 8/12/2013

Snowy

Friday night, uh? Seems good enough for me. This is gonna be fun :D I'll be tired but... its gonna be fun  ^-^
((Thanks everyone for the pictures ^-^))

Xeno Aura

2012 Sep 26, 12:23:38 #298 Last Edit: 2012 Sep 26, 12:26:32 by Xeno Aura
Yeah, the LoE panel for CG is Friday, so I'm guessing they'll host the panel, and bring the servers up after the panel has finished? That way, people who really want to stress test it will get to see the panel, instead of both LoE and the panel running simultaneously, competing for attention.

LoE panel is at 12PM to 1PM CG time (GMT-5).

So if they are brought up after:

West Coast USA: 10AM
East Coast USA: 1PM
UK and Portugal: 6PM
Most of Europe: 7PM
Australia: 3AM (Saturday)

Unless my timezones fail me :P

Tekner

Quote from: Xeno Aura on 2012 Sep 26, 12:23:38
LoE panel is at 12PM to 1PM CG time (GMT-5).

So if they are brought up after:

West Coast USA: 10AM
East Coast USA: 1PM
UK and Portugal: 6PM
Most of Europe: 7PM
Australia: 3AM (Saturday)

Unless my timezones fail me :P
Strongsville, Ohio (Canterlot Gardens) is on the east coast. So shift all hours down by one. Also to note is that even though our offical time slot is from noon to 1 PM, we will actually be at our panel earlier than that on Friday, and will be there most of the day on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Go Up