Dumb things that annoy you

Started by Zaner-Boy, 2012 Jun 01, 14:30:22

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Lync Volan

When my mom shhhh's me in our OWN HOUSE cause she thinks i'm embarrassing her with the neighbor but then she starts screaming at ppl and i'm not allowed to tell her what shes doing (even if i do she gonna say she ain't yelling XD)
i also don't understand why anyone should have to feel embarrassed about that stuff but admittedly i have felt "embarrassed" once when i was forced to sing "Hug Your Teddy Bear" in my old school for graduation well throwing a Teddy bear in the air
(i truly dislike teddy bears XD)

Midnight Breeze

Spoiler: show
Quote from: Rissian on 2015 Jun 10, 06:12:18
Midnight I honestly believe that if people want something they shouldn't complain about what it takes to get it and just try and get it, if they're constantly complaining and degrading their view on others it's not going to help them get what they want at all, usually when I see others talk about these kinds of things it's about a job,  their pay, or something else when honestly you can live just fine with a $12-21 an hour job with enough research on what you need. Sure you may not be able to be anything you want but you sure as heck can set proper realistic goals that are in range. Towns and cities are not cheap places to live in, the cost comes from convenience.

People need to research how to get the type of things they want the only thing stopping them is not knowing how to go about it. For instance I'm choosing to buy a place rather than to rent it once I work out what I need to be able to do that, you'll spend far more money on renting than you will on buying. I was taught the same as other kids you can be whatever you want. The thing I applied to that teaching was within realism the only types of things I allow myself to want to be I know are actually possible for me myself to be in this day and age.

Many people believe it's impossible to own land and a house these days so they rent instead, this is just from my perspective as I have no idea what you want to be or do in life. But for me I just want to have a job I can live on, I'm not really picky about it either. Where I live it's possible to buy a house and a small amount of land(About 4-8 acres) with payments of only around $256-300 a month on a loan, that's because I researched the different counties of Missouri and the money per acre required I also researched the cost of the bills I'd likely have and what I need to do to be able to get that loan. The good thing about the areas I researched they're not in the city so I don't have to worry about other issues that can occur from living in the city or renting. You know what my eldest sister pays for rent? $600-700 a month. But she chose the convenience of the city and to rent rather than to own because she's still searching for a specific style of house that she wants she also has a better job than I will have starting out so that option was good for her.

The average cost per acre in central Missouri is $2000 an acre. If I want to get a better price down in southern Missouri it's only $1000 an acre (Depends on the county). That's quite the big change and would knock the loan payment even lower granted it'd be a 10-15 year loan. any less years would cost too much for what my predicted monthly income could handle if I get the job I'm going for since the utility bills would have to be handled carefully. Granted these lands are all determined by the average of the county, one county to another can have vastly different prices.

Now one thing that does annoy me though is parents should not say "If you find a job you love you'll never work a day in your life." Even jobs you love will eventually cause you stress. If a job was meant to be fun it wouldn't be called a job.

This sounds really cliche and cheesey, but Knowing really is half the battle for a lot of things in life. The problem is figuring out what things you need to know then applying them to what you want in life.

So you're agreeing that people need to set realistic goals instead of reaching for the stars and getting upset when they don't grab one, right? Cause that's the point I was making. The idea that we can all be whatever we want if we just work hard at it and never give up is a fairy tale. One that's been fed to an entire generation to the point where millennials feel like failures if they don't achieve their life goals.

Bottom line - In this life you cannot be whatever you want to be, you can only be what the world will let you be, nothing more. Not everyone can be the CEO, or the president - yet that's what everyone aspires to be, to reach the top. There are always thousands rank-and-file workers for every one CEO. That's how it's always been, and that's how it'll always be, you can't have a corporation of all CEOs and no workers. Yet we've been raised to feel like failures at life if we don't achieve our dreams, which is simply a flawed worldview.

You can't tell children that anything is possible through hard work and dedication, it's not, and it sets people up for disappointment and self-blame when things don't work out the way they wanted them to. It's like throwing a chicken leg in the middle 10 homeless dudes and saying "fight for it!" then after the fight you walk up to the 9 who didn't get it and say "Well, you could have had the chicken if you had just fought harder!" Which is true on an individual level, but not on a collective one. No matter how hard they all fought, at the end of the day only one of them could have the chicken. You knew good and well that 9 hobos weren't getting any dinner that night, so why are you making them feel like it's their fault their still hungry?

Rissian

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2015 Jun 10, 09:59:09
[spoiler]

So you're agreeing that people need to set realistic goals instead of reaching for the stars and getting upset when they don't grab one, right? Cause that's the point I was making. The idea that we can all be whatever we want if we just work hard at it and never give up is a fairy tale. One that's been fed to an entire generation to the point where millennials feel like failures if they don't achieve their life goals.

Bottom line - In this life you cannot be whatever you want to be, you can only be what the world will let you be, nothing more. Not everyone can be the CEO, or the president - yet that's what everyone aspires to be, to reach the top. There are always thousands rank-and-file workers for every one CEO. That's how it's always been, and that's how it'll always be, you can't have a corporation of all CEOs and no workers. Yet we've been raised to feel like failures at life if we don't achieve our dreams, which is simply a flawed worldview.

You can't tell children that anything is possible through hard work and dedication, it's not, and it sets people up for disappointment and self-blame when things don't work out the way they wanted them to. It's like throwing a chicken leg in the middle 10 homeless dudes and saying "fight for it!" then after the fight you walk up to the 9 who didn't get it and say "Well, you could have had the chicken if you had just fought harder!" Which is true on an individual level, but not on a collective one. No matter how hard they all fought, at the end of the day only one of them could have the chicken. You knew good and well that 9 hobos weren't getting any dinner that night, so why are you making them feel like it's their fault their still hungry?[/spoiler]

Partially but my main point was people who constantly complain won't get anywhere in life because they've already given up on trying and believe everything and everyone is against them. If you fail then try again because you've only truly failed when you give up. If you can't be a CEO find the next best thing you want to be you should mix dreams with realism.

It's not a lie telling your children they can be whatever they want. It's very true but does that mean it will happen no, does that mean it won't happen no. The point is the possibility is still there and if you tell your kids the more realistic view they're going to have a very depressed life, and they won't have any aspirations at all for what they want to be when they get older. No one is a failure unless they give up. The point is to have dreams to strive for maybe they're too big when you're younger maybe they aren't too big at all it depends on what you do in life and how you react to the situation and if you adjust your dreams according to your situations.

I've never cared for striving to be at the top because the top is meaningless, all I care about is having a place to live and having a job, friends, and family.

Chishio Kunrin

One problem is that public high school says "We're preparing you for college, which will get you a higher paying job than people who don't go to college!" and "We're preparing you for the real world!"

All they really prepare you for is tests that get them funding. That's it. They never teach us anything for the real world, and most parents don't either. Most parents don't sit their kids down and go "Here's how you deal with bills. Here's how you choose a house. Here's how you get a job. Here's a good way to manage your money. Etc."

And a lot of people who go to college really do have as hard a time getting a job as everyone else, the way that things are now. The difference is that many of the college graduates are drowning in debt, while the people who didn't go to college aren't.

If you're gonna tell your kids to be what they wanna be, teach them how to get there so they have the tools to work toward it.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2015 Jun 10, 12:22:41
One problem is that public high school says "We're preparing you for college, which will get you a higher paying job than people who don't go to college!" and "We're preparing you for the real world!"

All they really prepare you for is tests that get them funding. That's it. They never teach us anything for the real world, and most parents don't either. Most parents don't sit their kids down and go "Here's how you deal with bills. Here's how you choose a house. Here's how you get a job. Here's a good way to manage your money. Etc."

And a lot of people who go to college really do have as hard a time getting a job as everyone else, the way that things are now. The difference is that many of the college graduates are drowning in debt, while the people who didn't go to college aren't.

If you're gonna tell your kids to be what they wanna be, teach them how to get there so they have the tools to work toward it.

Not making your kids ashamed to to blue-collar work would be another plus. Throughout our childhoods we were told over and over that a college education is the only way to a comfortable future and that if you don't go to college you're doomed to be stuck in low wages your whole life struggling to scrape a living together. The truth is blue-collar, public-sector jobs usually pay living wages, and have better job security than white-collar desk jobs in the private sector. The problem is millennials don't want to do manual labor because our parents always portrayed such jobs to us as symbols of failure in life. ("If you don't want to end up digging ditches or driving a garbage truck for a living, you'd better get yourself a college education!") The truth is careers in things like construction and waste management are actually decent paying jobs that require no upfront investment like college-level jobs do.

Rissian

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2015 Jun 10, 13:01:29
Not making your kids ashamed to to blue-collar work would be another plus. Throughout our childhoods we were told over and over that a college education is the only way to a comfortable future and that if you don't go to college you're doomed to be stuck in low wages your whole life struggling to scrape a living together. The truth is blue-collar, public-sector jobs usually pay living wages, and have better job security than white-collar desk jobs in the private sector. The problem is millennials don't want to do manual labor because our parents always portrayed such jobs to us as symbols of failure in life. ("If you don't want to end up digging ditches or driving a garbage truck for a living, you'd better get yourself a college education!") The truth is careers in things like construction and waste management are actually decent paying jobs that require no upfront investment like college-level jobs do.

I never did understand the hate for those types of jobs, heck you can get paid $21 an hour for working at CostCo but CostCo requires previous experience to work there. You start out at $11 an hour and you get a 50 cent raise every six months because CostCo is ran on seniority rather than job position. So as long as you do your job you get paid good and it rises the longer you stay two of my cousins work at CostCo and they love it.

Chibalt

Quote from: Rissian on 2015 Jun 10, 13:12:24
I never did understand the hate for those types of jobs, heck you can get paid $21 an hour for working at CostCo but CostCo requires previous experience to work there. You start out at $11 an hour and you get a 50 cent raise every six months because CostCo is ran on seniority rather than job position. So as long as you do your job you get paid good and it rises the longer you stay two of my cousins work at CostCo and they love it.

Unfortunately the cost of living in many areas, particularly in the US, is significantly higher than what you get working a full day for minimum wage, sure, minimum wage should not be enough for luxury, but in those areas it tends to simply not be enough for basic costs and needs, many of which are needed to be able to even get a higher-paying job, thus they are stuck in a low-wage job unless they suddenly get a lot more cash which they really have no source of, not even in work, so they pretty much get stuck in a low place.
My OCs: http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=11833.msg777677#msg777677
Don't be afraid to make suggestions regarding any of the characters there if you have some.

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: Chibalt on 2015 Jun 10, 13:22:48
Unfortunately the cost of living in many areas, particularly in the US, is significantly higher than what you get working a full day for minimum wage, sure, minimum wage should not be enough for luxury, but in those areas it tends to simply not be enough for basic costs and needs, many of which are needed to be able to even get a higher-paying job, thus they are stuck in a low-wage job unless they suddenly get a lot more cash which they really have no source of, not even in work, so they pretty much get stuck in a low place.

Actually, as far as developed countries go, the USA has a relatively low cost of living, especially in the south. When I was living in a small town in Louisiana my minimum wage job allowed me to comfortably afford a 2 bedroom apartment with a dishwasher and washer-dryer in unit. I could afford to keep the AC blaring all summer in triple digit temperatures at 100% humidity, had high-speed internet, ate out a few times a week, ect.

Was it sustainable? No. After all my living expenses I only had about 50-100 dollars left over every month, which was needed to absorb surprise expenses like car maintenance or dental visits. So I could never really afford to buy anything, or go out much, or save money, and a could never even utter the word 'vacation' without giggling. Still though, I was surviving independently, which is a lot more than most minimum wage earners can say.

Chibalt

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2015 Jun 10, 13:40:53
Actually, as far as developed countries go, the USA has a relatively low cost of living, especially in the south. When I was living in a small town in Louisiana my minimum wage job allowed me to comfortably afford a 2 bedroom apartment with a dishwasher and washer-dryer in unit. I could afford to keep the AC blaring all summer in triple digit temperatures at 100% humidity, had high-speed internet, ate out a few times a week, ect.

Was it sustainable? No. After all my living expenses I only had about 50-100 dollars left over every month, which was needed to absorb surprise expenses like car maintenance or dental visits. So I could never really afford to buy anything, or go out much, or save money, and a could never even utter the word 'vacation' without giggling. Still though, I was surviving independently, which is a lot more than most minimum wage earners can say.

USA also has some of the lowest minimum wages, whether you can survive reasonable on the minimum wage depends entirely on the living costs in the area you are in, the minimum wage the state has set and so-on, in some places, sure, you can survive reasonably well on minimum wage, but often not without a fairly small margin for extra expenses, in other places you might not be so lucky with what is avalible.
My OCs: http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=11833.msg777677#msg777677
Don't be afraid to make suggestions regarding any of the characters there if you have some.

Rissian

Quote from: Chibalt on 2015 Jun 10, 13:22:48

I already mentioned the costs of living in the area I live in the US on the previous page. You can get land and a house for $256-300 a month on a 15 year loan and with careful management can still buy food and handle your utilities. In Missouri the prices aren't too bad granted I do not know much of the other state's costs, what I mentioned was mainly about Missouri and my general area. I do know that even Texas and Pennsylvania  has cheaper counties to live in you generally have to do a lot of research it's best to search as many counties near you as possible and check all individual prices.  ^-^

But yeah I think this is going way off topic now...

Midnight Breeze

2015 Jun 10, 15:32:20 #16350 Last Edit: 2015 Jun 10, 15:34:16 by Midnight Breeze
Quote from: Chibalt on 2015 Jun 10, 13:43:34
USA also has some of the lowest minimum wages, whether you can survive reasonable on the minimum wage depends entirely on the living costs in the area you are in, the minimum wage the state has set and so-on, in some places, sure, you can survive reasonably well on minimum wage, but often not without a fairly small margin for extra expenses, in other places you might not be so lucky with what is available.

Unfortunately I think advocates for raising the minimum wage are shooting themselves in the foot by asking for $15 an hour. That's just entirely too high. It makes them seem greedy and hurts their cause.

I think they are making the mistake of looking at other countries' minimum wages and taking them at face value, which is a very misleading thing to do. Comparing wages across national borders is difficult because cost of living, tax rates, currency strength varies wildly from country-to-country. There is a handy scale called purchasing power parity that standardizes the value of wages. When you look at that you will see that the USA is nowhere near as far behind on minimum wage as it may appear to the untrained eye.

The country with the highest minimum wage in the world (both nominal and PPP) is Australia, whose nominal minimum wage is $16.50. Thing is, Australia is a significantly more expensive country than the USA. Adjusted for PPP you'll find that Australia's minimum wage is worth the equivalent of $10.95 in America. Meaning if we raised our minimum wage to $15 it would be, by far, the highest 'real' minimum wage in the world.

The president's proposed minimum wage of $10.10 an hour wasn't pulled out of thin air. That would be the ideal minimum wage for preserving closing the wage gap and reducing poverty without killing intensive or hurting small businesses.

Here's some PPP minimum wages from around the developed world:

Australia = $10.95
France =$10.87
Germany = $10.33
Netherlands = $9.70
UK=$8.32
Canada =$7.74
USA = $7.25
South Korea = $6.10
Japan = $6.03

So a minimum wage of $10.10 would put us in line with western Europe, and well ahead of Canada, Japan, and South Korea. That sounds perfectly fair and reasonable to me. Asking for $10.10 will also get workers a lot further at the bargaining table, since it shows willingness to compromise and not go all-out. Conversely, asking to more than double your wage will just get you dismissed as wanting something unreasonable and brushed off.

One things for sure - I'd have certainly felt rich on 10 bucks an hour in Louisiana.

Chishio Kunrin

For some reason, it kind of annoys me when people are so terrible at telling the difference between dog breeds that they might as well be blind.

And I don't mean "Is that a chocolate Labrador or a Chesapeake Bay Retriever?" At least those two look a lot alike, aside from fur type (Those two labs look a bit wet. They were probably swimming, which labs love to do).

I mean, stuff like...
"*Points at a Chow Chow* This is my pet Siberian Husky!"
:facehoof:
I've actually seen someone do that! Chows and Huskies look nothing alike!! Get some glasses, please!!

That's like confusing a Rottweiler and a Doberman Pinscher! Sure, they look a little similar, but you can still tell the difference!
Or maybe confusing a Doberman Pinscher and a Greyhound.
Or confusing a Pembroke Welsh Corgi and a Dachshund!

Sweet Brew

Waiting for Minecraft 1.9...
Gosh darn it...it's been almost 300 days!

Lync Volan

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2015 Jun 10, 12:22:41
most parents don't either. Most parents don't sit their kids down and go "Here's how you deal with bills. Here's how you choose a house. Here's how you get a job. Here's a good way to manage your money. Etc."

I have been asking my parents to teach me something instead of just throwing me in a school and not caring but they just don't seem interested in teaching me anything

Ryo_D_Disk

time to bang my head against a wall a few times

So closing up the tills, while showing someone how to do the process of cashing up.

two people walk in the buildnig through a door that is suposed to be closed and locked around this time of day. so I say "Don't worry we will carry on, let them stay in the shop we will close the other till in a bit"

I leave the room to go sort out the gate and sign because well nobody has delt with it yet and lead into the main office for a moment to talk with my colege (aka me getting told off for showing someone how to do something they asked me to do, and not doing a job that I wasnt asked to do) at witch point I hear a voice of another colege of mine saying "Right you go show them up to Agatha and let them look around for a bit" ... What so the person I just finished showing how to deal with the money for the admitions is now showing them upto agatha. I already know there planing on leaving early leaving me and someone else to lock up but we had planed on being out of here as soon as possible.

Now we need to wait for these other people to leave close the shop and then close the building so twice as much work for NO money to the company.

Honestly if my workplace had the slightest plan of communication we would be dangorus

looks like another late night for me tonight wooo

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Lync Volan on 2015 Jun 11, 07:26:34
I have been asking my parents to teach me something instead of just throwing me in a school and not caring but they just don't seem interested in teaching me anything

A lot of older adults seem to think that public education is enough and that it'll teach you what you need to know. They're thinking back to when they were in school, which was decades ago. A lot changes in just a couple or so decades.

Public schools have become prison-like institutions that drill you in passing tests, and they've even begun policing the youth in staying perfectly in line. And adults wonder why so many kids get so stressed out and hate school so much.

I'm not even kidding about the "prison-like" part, either. Quite a few of my high school's policies are actually quite similar to or the exact same as policies that prisons have for their inmates. When my dad found out, he was pretty angry.

MarshyMellow

2015 Jun 11, 13:50:48 #16356 Last Edit: 2015 Jun 11, 13:53:00 by MarshyMellow
When I try to sleep at night and my head decides to throb or my body makes feel like there are bugs are on me... >:/

Or that I can't sleep at all..

My body hates me when I try to sleep.. ono

And yes, I know that I can take pills to help me sleep. I'm just getting this off my chest. :/

Birds don't just fly they fall down and get up
Nobody learns without getting it wrong

Stardust Dragon

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2015 Jun 11, 12:54:12
Public schools have become prison-like institutions that drill you in passing tests, and they've even begun policing the youth in staying perfectly in line. And adults wonder why so many kids get so stressed out and hate school so much.

I know for a fact I've been more conditioned to test taking and flushing said information out of my head afterwards...clearly a great policy for dealing with life. -sarcasm sarcasm- :l  And I was one of the kids who actually somewhat liked school, particularly because I always got fantastic grades. 

Elphyda

Chibalt

Quote from: Stardust Dragon on 2015 Jun 11, 14:01:17
I know for a fact I've been more conditioned to test taking and flushing said information out of my head afterwards...clearly a great policy for dealing with life. -sarcasm sarcasm- :l  And I was one of the kids who actually somewhat liked school, particularly because I always got fantastic grades.

Ugh, the mostly useless, and way too frequent tests in school really do promote this, read up for the test, then flush all the information out afterwards, lest you suffer from a huge amount of stress well into the weekend, probably where I got my habit of flushing literally EVERYTHING school-related out of my head when weekend comes around, is literally the only way I can calm down enough from all the stress.

School methods today have not had time to be tested properly, there is just WAY too much stress about in school itself, many people even get physically ill from the at times intense stress they suffer in school, five days of the week, often with a ton of homework to be done over the weekend, which is probably the main perpetrator here, do NOT give homework over the weeked, you're cutting free time, and relaxation time without having to worry about school, even shorter!

Go Up