Dumb things that annoy you

Started by Zaner-Boy, 2012 Jun 01, 14:30:22

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Sweet Brew

Bitter Ex-Bronies.

They still want to hang around the pony sites and their brony friends, yet they are an absolute jerk on how "Horrible" the show is and how much they hate the show.
Seriously, people... If you're in a brony site don't go bashing the show pointlessly, just keep your loud, annoying mean opinion to yourself.

People have no consideration anymore.

Midnight Breeze

Sweet Brew

2017 Mar 26, 02:39:14 #18662 Last Edit: 2017 Mar 26, 02:58:14 by Sweet Brew
You know what really bugs me?
People acting like the melody and harmony is the only important part of a song.

They think drums and the beat can just be some beat kick repeating "Beat, Kick, Beat, Kick, Beat, Kick, Beat-Beat, Kick!".
A good song you should be able to recognize the song instantly by the beat alone, same goes for the bass guitar and everything else.

A truly good song should be 100% iconic, you should be able to hear any part and instantly knock what song it's from.
I get it, not everyone can be a world changing musician, but still....

Stardust Dragon

I was hired as the assistant sound designer for two small shows, and ran troubleshooting while our main sound designer was out on vacation last week.  That was bad enough.  But tonight, BOTH Stage managers call me up asking questions about the light board...which was NOT my department.  Yes, I work lights often, but that does not immediately mean I can diagnose, by phone, what is going wrong with a system I haven't messed around with, especially when your lights board is an emulated piece of software rather than a physical unit that I AM familiar working on.
I had a bad enough time last week with the stress of one of the directors, I was looking forward to spending this weekend not thinking about these shows.  Why do they insist on dragging me back kicking and screaming?

Grizzly

When the difficulty of a video game is based on how much the controls are busted.
The most common accident is the one noone expects.

LunarDusk

Quote from: Grizzly on 2017 Mar 26, 03:18:55
When the difficulty of a video game is based on how much the controls are busted.

*cough*
Action 52
"[glow=blue,2,300]Hue Lunar Dusk archmage of the EverFree at your service.[/glow]"
conflictus nec divinos

OCs
http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=11752.

Midnight Breeze

I hate the overuse of the adage "Life isn't fair". In response to completely legitimate complains. That saying serves little purpose other than to enrage its recipients. I consider it to be little more than a trollish brush-off, akin to "You mad, bro?"

I obviously already know that life isn't fair if I'm complaining about it being unfair. If something isn't fair then don't give me a pointless adage, FREAKING MAKE IT FAIR!

I'm not unrealistic, I don't expect everything to be 100% equitable all the time, but I DO expect the powers that be to at least make an honest effort to make things more equitable when it's within their power to do so, I hardly think that's an unreasonable request.

LunarDusk

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2017 Mar 26, 20:11:28
I hate the overuse of the adage "Life isn't fair". In response to completely legitimate complains. That saying serves little purpose other than to enrage its recipients. I consider it to be little more than a trollish brush-off, akin to "You mad, bro?"

I obviously already know that life isn't fair if I'm complaining about it being unfair. If something isn't fair then don't give me a pointless adage, FREAKING MAKE IT FAIR!

I'm not unrealistic, I don't expect everything to be 100% equitable all the time, but I DO expect the powers that be to at least make an honest effort to make things more equitable when it's within their power to do so, I hardly think that's an unreasonable request.

Hue, if you ask me it can depend on what they claim isn't fair that could be annoying or more specifically, complaining about things that didnt go in their favor cursing anything otherwise.  :]
"[glow=blue,2,300]Hue Lunar Dusk archmage of the EverFree at your service.[/glow]"
conflictus nec divinos

OCs
http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=11752.

OldenEmpire

Something that actually has been bothering me more and more of late is how often the limit of light speed is disregarded by Sci-fi writers. They can and will happily hand over lots of explanations about faster then light travel, but they just about never explain, or are simply unaware, how the can send over information across star systems or see whats happening on the far side of solar system in real time. Im afraid hard sci-fi has ruined a decent amount of sci-fi for me.

Midnight, was it air force, army or navy pt test?
What is the strongest weapon of ponykind? The Elements of Harmony? No! The Princesses? No! The cannon? The spear? The horn? Not at all! Courage and courage alone stands above them all!

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: OldenEmpire on 2017 Mar 27, 19:05:05
Something that actually has been bothering me more and more of late is how often the limit of light speed is disregarded by Sci-fi writers. They can and will happily hand over lots of explanations about faster then light travel, but they just about never explain, or are simply unaware, how the can send over information across star systems or see whats happening on the far side of solar system in real time. Im afraid hard sci-fi has ruined a decent amount of sci-fi for me.

It's my understanding that apparent faster-than-light travel is theoretically possible due to the flexibility of space. Your ship is not actually traveling through space that fast, but that you are actually traveling in a 'tunnel' or 'bubble' of warped space. Within said bubble you are not traveling anywhere close to the speed of light ('absolute' light speed), but the combination of forward momentum and space being warped toward the ship pushes the apparent travel speed above the speed of light. All very theoretical, but it doesn't violate general relativity.

Quote from: OldenEmpire on 2017 Mar 27, 19:05:05
Midnight, was it air force, army or navy pt test?

I'm Chair Force.

OldenEmpire

2017 Mar 28, 10:44:21 #18670 Last Edit: 2017 Mar 28, 10:57:49 by OldenEmpire
Yup, I understand all of that for traveling faster then light speed. Its just FTL sensors and communications that bother me. That and the majority of sci-fi sensors are all active sensors that function like some futuristic space radar, and radar is pretty useless because it has to bounce off something then come back, doubling the amount of time for information to reach you then if you just looked out a window.
What is the strongest weapon of ponykind? The Elements of Harmony? No! The Princesses? No! The cannon? The spear? The horn? Not at all! Courage and courage alone stands above them all!

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: OldenEmpire on 2017 Mar 28, 10:44:21
Yup, I understand all of that for traveling faster then light speed. Its just FTL sensors and communications that bother me. That and the majority of sci-fi sensors are all active sensors that function like some futuristic space radar, and radar is pretty useless because it has to bounce off something then come back, doubling the amount of time for information to reach you then if you just looked out a window.

That's actually what baffled me more than anything about Elite Dangerous. With a top-level scanner you can't scan every object in a star system in a few seconds. RF current travels at exactly light speed (since they are essentially the same thing), so it should take hours to scan an entire star system, unless the radar current somehow utilizes the FSD.

Also, plotting course for a star 10s of light years away is a more subtle oddity. You plot course for right where you see the star, which is where it was 17 years ago, not where it is now. Plotting course for where a star appears to be should spit you out in the middle of nowhere, since the star is long gone.

Curious I dare say, curious...

Come to think if it, why do we even call it the speed of light? Visible light is a relatively tiny frequency range on the electromagnetic spectrum, what makes light so special, eh? Why is it not called the speed of ECM? Discriminatory name, I tell you.

Grizzly

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2017 Mar 28, 21:56:28
That's actually what baffled me more than anything about Elite Dangerous. With a top-level scanner you can't scan every object in a star system in a few seconds. RF current travels at exactly light speed (since they are essentially the same thing), so it should take hours to scan an entire star system, unless the radar current somehow utilizes the FSD.

Also, plotting course for a star 10s of light years away is a more subtle oddity. You plot course for right where you see the star, which is where it was 17 years ago, not where it is now. Plotting course for where a star appears to be should spit you out in the middle of nowhere, since the star is long gone.

Curious I dare say, curious...

Come to think if it, why do we even call it the speed of light? Visible light is a relatively tiny frequency range on the electromagnetic spectrum, what makes light so special, eh? Why is it not called the speed of ECM? Discriminatory name, I tell you.

After reading this i remembered another thing that really ticks me off a lot IRL. Whenever there's a documentary or reports on planets around other stars they almost always say "There is." When in fact most of the data of the planets being reported on are millions, if not billions of years old. An entire civilization could evolve and die in that time span.
The most common accident is the one noone expects.

Elphyda

Whelp, won't be able to draw for a little bit.  half my pen tablet was taken, along with pretty much everything I used to draw traditionally. :/

Irroro

...I can't figure out anything that's a dumb thing and is something that annoys me. :s

OldenEmpire

Elite: Dangerous actually bothers with realistic limitations? Colour me interested.

On a somewhat dis-similar note, that's also something I note is lacking in Equestria. When Celestia moves the sun, it should take somewhere between 7 and 8 minuets for the sun to appear as if its moving. I'm fine with the way it appears Luna is moving the moon, the moon is only a couple light seconds away.

On a similar note, all those fanfictions where Celestia and Luna are taken out of the picture or otherwise lose control of the sun and moon, but the world still ends up fine.  Its a classic three body problem, there is no telling what would happen, except that it would probably end up very poorly for Equestria.

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: OldenEmpire on 2017 Mar 29, 21:00:58
Elite: Dangerous actually bothers with realistic limitations? Colour me interested.

Right up until you run out of fuel, deplete all your oxygen, and explode spectacularly.

Peace Keeper

Whenever playing games that lets you have customizable emblems/insignias, its great to show off your creativity/passion/eh... and other things that could be taboo. I do find interesting to see MLP-related creations of other players and I think "ah that's neat. Hehe suppose its a brony/pegasister cause they show pride in it." Sometimes the only way to show them your emblem or insignia is to defeat them yourself, and in their killcam, your emblem shows.

----------------------
[shadow=red,left]WARNING!!! Rant time![/shadow]
----------------------

Now, here is the dumb thing that annoys me. They like MLP, so they show off their passion in the form of an emblem, showing everyone else they are a brony/pegasister. They don't seem all intimidated when they see your emblem, but when SOMEONE WITH AN MLP-RELATED EMBLEM TOO (I have Derpy as my emblem), THEY BAIL OUT!!! I just wonder if they feel awkward playing against another brony, and this has happened pretty often. I only can wonder if these bronies are more awkward to their own kind. They show their emblem to everyone else, but don't like to be with others who have similar passions. I know there are exceptions cause I have made 2 friends online because of our like for MLP, but often do I see them bail out. Imagine it would suck if they are like that when they are contributing well for their team then bail out cause someone on the other side has MLP and they feel weird. (and it has actually happen once on my gameplay)

:s I no get it...
Representing the Element of Peace, my name is Peacekeeper, and I am an Evershade Crusader. I am also a proud member of Chat-o-Landia. My talent is preventing conflict and maintaining order.

Stardust Dragon

I get home from a day with my visiting family, and discover that there's a random drop in power every so often.  I start timing it, and it happens every 3 minutes, 10 seconds, on the dot.  I then check if it's just my house or other houses, and find out it's the entire neighborhood.  Including the street lights...because THAT'S safe for pedestrians!

So I try and get in contact with my power company, but since I'm renting I don't have the actual account attached to the house, and can't get any info.  My landlord never bothers to answer their phone, but I send them a message anyways (which is a big thing for me, since I hate talking on the phone, even to leave a message.)  The instant I hang up, power is stabilized.  What in Equestria just happened?!  o_o

I'm just waiting for it to crop back up as soon as I try online gaming.  Don't test me, electrical company.

Midnight Breeze

This anti-GMO fear mongering propaganda is getting way out of hand. Everyone and their mother is slapping non-GMO labels on anything they can get away with. I've actually seen such outlandish nonsense as SALT being labeled non-GMO. I've gotta admit, GM salt would be the one GMO I'd genuinely be afraid of...seeing as salt is an inorganic compound that doesn't even have DNA that can be modified.

Trash like that should be regulated as deceptive advertising, but at least it helps informed people like me know which anti-science companies I shouldn't support.

Non-GMO = Non-sale. Take your pseudoscience some place else.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to enjoy my delicious dinner of AquAdvantage salmon with a side of Golden Rice and Roundup Ready corn, an Arctic Apple for dessert, and a nice tall glass of GM rainbow papaya juice.

Go Up