Dumb things that annoy you

Started by Zaner-Boy, 2012 Jun 01, 14:30:22

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: CrabApple on 2015 Feb 18, 16:11:47
When you buy a bag of chips and it looks like a good sized bag. And when you get home and open it its only like 1/4 full!!!  DD: The rest is air! They shouldn't be able to do that. That's just mean.  :/ Same with boxes of cookies or other things that are in boxes or bags. I try not to buy brands that do that but things like Cheetos and lays chips and stuff you can't really find off brand ones that DON'T do that. If anything the off brand ones do it worse.  :c

UUUUUGH! DD:
Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2015 Feb 18, 16:14:35
The price is set by weight, not size, so you aren't paying for the gas. They inflate the bags like that with nitrogen for two reasons: to keep the chips fresh and provide cushioning so they don't get crushed in delivery. The alternative would be to package it in rigid material like Pringles does, but that increases price.

It's one thing when the bag is 1/2 full of chips, but it's another when it's 1/4 full. Most name brand chips are 1/2 full.

I don't buy Munchos anymore because they always seem to be, like, 1/4 full, and their chips are so airy and bubbly that they don't fill you up much. They taste good, but they are not satisfying. :/

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Rissian

Just watched The Hobbit : An unexpected Journey.

Now I can't decide between watching the 2nd movie or playing Zelda Twilight Princess both are awesome.  ovO

My AC is also frozen, which kinda sucks because my room will get hot sometimes even if it's like 10 degrees outside. I'm still amazed it can reach 80+ degrees in here during winter even if the vent in my room is closed.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Trege on 2015 Feb 19, 05:18:50
My AC is also frozen, which kinda sucks because my room will get hot sometimes even if it's like 10 degrees outside. I'm still amazed it can reach 80+ degrees in here during winter even if the vent in my room is closed.

Hey, it'll save you from frostbite, at least. :P

Although we southerners joke about how everything shuts down when there's snow and ice, it's rather rude for northerners to think we're dumb or wimps because of it. We joke about it, not make fun of it. In concept, it seems silly, but when you consider why everything shuts down, it's perfectly reasonable, no matter what northerners think.

Up north, it seems unreasonable, but northerners either don't realize or don't consider that we're not used to snow and ice.
Down south, nothing here is built for snow, ice, and freezing temperatures. No one is prepared for snow, ice, and freezing temperatures. You also need to know that the "snow" we get down here is wetter than the snow up north, so snow here pretty much always leads to ice, especially on roads. Forbid that we get sleet instead of snow... It's much heavier and more problematic.

See, here are the problems:
Driving:
- Our tires are not designed to deal with ice.
- We don't have snow chains. Why would we have snow chains when it rarely snows?
- We don't have the people and equipment to salt the roads immediately on hand. Why would we? It rarely gets cold enough for roads to get iced over.
Home, business, and school:
- The power goes out more often and more easily from snow and ice here than it does up north. Our power lines are not designed to handle that because, again, it rarely happens.
- All of our buildings are lightly insulated, and many of them have lots of large windows. Our houses and businesses literally are not built to handle freezing ice cold temperatures. Not everyone can afford to run the air conditioning on heat enough to keep the place adequately warm, and like I said, the power easily goes out. We once spent 3 days without power because of a sleet storm. I had to use a candle to warm my hands up after playing in the ice because I was a silly child. Also, our water pipes tend to freeze and burst.
- The south has a lot of open campus schools. Open campus means that the school is a collection of buildings. Students actually have to go outside to go to their next class or go to lunch. This, the power easily going out, and the buildings not being insulated enough all add up to closing the schools.
Clothing:
- Most people don't have warm enough clothes and jackets to withstand such freezing temperatures. The only reason I keep my thick heavy jackets is just in case. You never know when Texas will be hit with temperatures in the 30s and 20s again. I rarely need these jackets, but when I do, I'm ecstatic that I have them. I also broke dresscode for a little while in high school by wearing pajama pants. I discovered that if I wear my winter pajama pants (they're thicker and fuzzy) over my pants, they help seal out the cold. I got tired of having my torso warm and my legs freezing. I was the warmest person on campus.

So, next time northerners think we're dumb or overreacting when it comes to freezing cold, snow, and ice, I'd like to suggest that they try coming down here during the summer and see how they handle 100-something degree weather. I guarantee they'll be sweating like crazy and gulping down water like a fish. Why? 'Cause they're not used to it. Just like how we're not used to the freezing cold and snow.
Also, see how they handle driving in the rain right after a drought. If we go too long without rain, oil builds up on the roads, so as soon as we do get rain, the roads are really slippery from all the oil mixed in the water.

Rissian

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2015 Feb 19, 06:43:20
Spoiler: show
Hey, it'll save you from frostbite, at least. :P

Although we southerners joke about how everything shuts down when there's snow and ice, it's rather rude for northerners to think we're dumb or wimps because of it. We joke about it, not make fun of it. In concept, it seems silly, but when you consider why everything shuts down, it's perfectly reasonable, no matter what northerners think.

Up north, it seems unreasonable, but northerners either don't realize or don't consider that we're not used to snow and ice.
Down south, nothing here is built for snow, ice, and freezing temperatures. No one is prepared for snow, ice, and freezing temperatures. You also need to know that the "snow" we get down here is wetter than the snow up north, so snow here pretty much always leads to ice, especially on roads. Forbid that we get sleet instead of snow... It's much heavier and more problematic.

See, here are the problems:
Driving:
- Our tires are not designed to deal with ice.
- We don't have snow chains. Why would we have snow chains when it rarely snows?
- We don't have the people and equipment to salt the roads immediately on hand. Why would we? It rarely gets cold enough for roads to get iced over.
Home, business, and school:
- The power goes out more often and more easily from snow and ice here than it does up north. Our power lines are not designed to handle that because, again, it rarely happens.
- All of our buildings are lightly insulated, and many of them have lots of large windows. Our houses and businesses literally are not built to handle freezing ice cold temperatures. Not everyone can afford to run the air conditioning on heat enough to keep the place adequately warm, and like I said, the power easily goes out. We once spent 3 days without power because of a sleet storm. I had to use a candle to warm my hands up after playing in the ice because I was a silly child. Also, our water pipes tend to freeze and burst.
- The south has a lot of open campus schools. Open campus means that the school is a collection of buildings. Students actually have to go outside to go to their next class or go to lunch. This, the power easily going out, and the buildings not being insulated enough all add up to closing the schools.
Clothing:
- Most people don't have warm enough clothes and jackets to withstand such freezing temperatures. The only reason I keep my thick heavy jackets is just in case. You never know when Texas will be hit with temperatures in the 30s and 20s again. I rarely need these jackets, but when I do, I'm ecstatic that I have them. I also broke dresscode for a little while in high school by wearing pajama pants. I discovered that if I wear my winter pajama pants (they're thicker and fuzzy) over my pants, they help seal out the cold. I got tired of having my torso warm and my legs freezing. I was the warmest person on campus.

So, next time northerners think we're dumb or overreacting when it comes to freezing cold, snow, and ice, I'd like to suggest that they try coming down here during the summer and see how they handle 100-something degree weather. I guarantee they'll be sweating like crazy and gulping down water like a fish. Why? 'Cause they're not used to it. Just like how we're not used to the freezing cold and snow.
Also, see how they handle driving in the rain right after a drought. If we go too long without rain, oil builds up on the roads, so as soon as we do get rain, the roads are really slippery from all the oil mixed in the water.

The crazy thing about Missouri is, we can get to -5 degrees or so in the winter and 90-102 in the summer Yet people here still forget how to drive in rain or snow.  :l I mean come on people we live in the most random weathered state in existence you'd think they'd expect this during spring and winter. Central Missouri is known for it's strange weather. But everytime it snows or rains multiple people get in wrecks I just don't understand it. It's actually a joke around these parts that people forget how to drive in bad conditions here.

Midnight Breeze

Who designed The Crew's faction recruitment system? And more importantly, are they still employed? I don't understand how this managed to make it out of alpha in one piece. Early in the game you are forced to join either the Wolves or the Eagles before ever even meeting the other three factions, then slowly throughout the game you unlock the others and can choose to change factions. Problem is changing factions causes you to lose all your rank and reputation and start over from the bottom.

Anyone with 3 brain cells could see that that would cause the two initial factions to be dominant. Why would anyone want to change to another faction when they're already established in one? It's not "5 way faction war" it's "2 way faction war with 3 other spectator factions on the side that don't really matter." I want to join the Crocodiles so I can rep the South, but the Crocs are so ridiculously underrepresented it would be like playing as the sacrificial lamb 24/7. It's infuriating that this unplaytested hodgepodge of a faction system even made it past Ubisoft's whiteboards.

Ramisha

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2015 Feb 19, 13:15:24
Spoiler: show
Who designed The Crew's faction recruitment system? And more importantly, are they still employed? I don't understand how this managed to make it out of alpha in one piece. Early in the game you are forced to join either the Wolves or the Eagles before ever even meeting the other three factions, then slowly throughout the game you unlock the others and can choose to change factions. Problem is changing factions causes you to lose all your rank and reputation and start over from the bottom.

Anyone with 3 brain cells could see that that would cause the two initial factions to be dominant. Why would anyone want to change to another faction when they're already established in one? It's not "5 way faction war" it's "2 way faction war with 3 other spectator factions on the side that don't really matter." I want to join the Crocodiles so I can rep the South, but the Crocs are so ridiculously underrepresented it would be like playing as the sacrificial lamb 24/7. It's infuriating that this unplaytested hodgepodge of a faction system even made it past Ubisoft's whiteboards.

Hm, that reminds me of Robot Unicorn Attack 2 where you have to choose between Team Rainbow or Team Inferno.
Of course, everyone picks Inferno. Who would want to be rainbow when you can be inferno?
Every day in the game there's a battle of unicorn tears collected for each team so the team that wins gains extra unicorn tears every day,and every day poor Team Rainbow loses.
They could have at least picked some more neutral names, like team red and blue...

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Ramisha on 2015 Feb 19, 16:35:27
Hm, that reminds me of Robot Unicorn Attack 2 where you have to choose between Team Rainbow or Team Inferno.
Of course, everyone picks Inferno. Who would want to be rainbow when you can be inferno?
Every day in the game there's a battle of unicorn tears collected for each team so the team that wins gains extra unicorn tears every day,and every day poor Team Rainbow loses.
They could have at least picked some more neutral names, like team red and blue...

I forgot about Robot Unicorn Attack! O:
I always liked Robot Unicorn Attack: Heavy Metal better than the original one. ovO

Sunshine Smash

Swam a straight 2600 in swim practice, my everything hurts.

Deep inside..... We're kindred spirits...... You..... And I......

Caballia

hamburger helper's heat retaining abilities. Ever after letting it cool for a half hour the stuff is still a mouth scorcher.
Oh, what a night

Flutteron

I got nothing.
Adorable fluffy creatures

GoldenTerrabyte

Quote from: CrabApple on 2015 Feb 18, 16:11:47
When you buy a bag of chips and it looks like a good sized bag. And when you get home and open it its only like 1/4 full!!!  DD: The rest is air! They shouldn't be able to do that. That's just mean.  :/ Same with boxes of cookies or other things that are in boxes or bags. I try not to buy brands that do that but things like Cheetos and lays chips and stuff you can't really find off brand ones that DON'T do that. If anything the off brand ones do it worse.  :c
THIS IS THE BANE OF MY EXISTENCE
Quote from: Ramisha on 2015 Feb 19, 16:35:27
Seriously? I'd pick rainbow, because color is awesome...
I'm back

Midnight Breeze

I don't understand where the running gag of bad public school lunches comes from. I didn't exactly go to a glamorous high-school; it was a public school in a relatively poor area, but the food was quite good. In fact I looked forward to, it was the only time I ever really enjoyed a hot meal. My mom didn't have time to cook because she worked her fingers to the bone, and when my dad was actually around he had more important things to do than worry about trivial things like feeding his child. When I wasn't eating at school I survived my adolescence on fast food and lunch meat...aw who the heck am I kidding, I still survive on that. I digress, where exactly are all these schools that serve terrible food? They must be quite common for it to be a meme in pop culture. Who here has or had bad school lunches?

Ramisha

I wrote the math test very poorly, I'm going to get a C. I know that's not really bad but I'm going to the county math competition, I'm supposed to be good at maths. Why oh why didn't I prepare for the test?!

Caballia

Oh, what a night

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2015 Feb 20, 02:45:28
I don't understand where the running gag of bad public school lunches comes from. I didn't exactly go to a glamorous high-school; it was a public school in a relatively poor area, but the food was quite good. In fact I looked forward to, it was the only time I ever really enjoyed a hot meal. My mom didn't have time to cook because she worked her fingers to the bone, and when my dad was actually around he had more important things to do than worry about trivial things like feeding his child. When I wasn't eating at school I survived my adolescence on fast food and lunch meat...aw who the heck am I kidding, I still survive on that. I digress, where exactly are all these schools that serve terrible food? They must be quite common for it to be a meme in pop culture. Who here has or had bad school lunches?

*Raises hand*
Middle school:
- Corndogs: Pull the cornbread off and what do you see? A shriveled spongy hot dog. :I Really weird...
- Popcorn chicken: Mostly fat. It tasted, felt, and looked like it was probably 98% fat.
- Pepperoni pizza: Literal pools of visible grease sitting on top.
I don't remember much else of the middle school lunches.
High school:
- Pepperoni pizza: Also pretty greasy, but not as greasy as middle school. It got better when they made a deal with Papa John's and started selling that pizza, but I personally don't like Papa John's.
- Chicken strips: Bland cardboard. Ugh. Same with the chicken sandwiches.
- Spicy chicken sandwiches: Overly seasoned to hide the fact that the chicken is bland cardboard.
- Hamburgers: Bland burger meat that tastes like it's not even seasoned. Pretty sure it was some kind of frozen fully cooked patty that they nuked in a microwave or oven or something.
- Spaghetti: Only available once a week. The meatballs were just big spheres of bland unseasoned ground beef. The sauce was just... more like they dumped tomato paste on the noodles, to be honest.
- Salads: How do you mess up a salad? HOW DO YOU MESS UP A SALAD?!! I'LL TELL YOU HOW: Serve rotting lettuce. :l Mind you, this is the high school that has, for decades, been regarded as the better school, since it's in the part of the city where more financially well-off people live. And yet the salads had some rotten lettuce in them.

The First Lady's healthy food overhaul was bittersweet, to be honest.
The bad:
- They removed everything good from the vending machines. ono Also, they clearly did not pay attention to some of the stuff they put in there because this one "healthy" granola bar with strawberry yogurt stuff on the bottom just about killed me with how sweet the strawberry yogurt stuff was. Definitely did not taste healthy. I couldn't finish it because it was giving my teeth a terrible feeling.
- SOMEHOW, the amount of rotten lettuce in the salads increased! Suddenly, it was like almost half the bowl was rotting. Massive waste of money.
The good:
- With healthier food came food that actually tasted better, oddly enough. They switched to wheat buns, which was a plus for me because I prefer the taste of wheat bread over white bread. The big plus was the grilled chicken sandwiches in place of the breaded chicken patty sandwiches. Those actually had some flavor to them. The Mexican food line even got better! You could take one look at the beef they were using and tell that it was something completely different. It all tasted better, too.

You may notice I didn't list any Mexican food in the gross foods list... Yeah, the Mexican food line was my escape from terrible food. I mean, the stuff they were using before the health food overhaul likely wasn't very good for us, and the beef might have been more something else and less beef like Taco Bell used to do (read: used to), but... at least it tasted good. Geez.

And no, they didn't remove the pizza line. They also didn't take away the ranch dressing packets or put a limit on them. So, we still had people putting ranch dressing on their pizza or dumping two packets (yes, two packets) into a salad, mixing it up, and going "IT'S HEALTHY :P" These were big packets, too. They were designed where one was enough for a salad bowl. These people were using two. They were literally drowning their salads, and some of them insisted "No really, I'm eating healthy food."

Caballia

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2015 Feb 20, 02:45:28
I digress, where exactly are all these schools that serve terrible food?

The US
Oh, what a night

Midnight Breeze

2015 Feb 20, 04:15:12 #15476 Last Edit: 2015 Feb 20, 04:22:05 by Chishio Kunrin
I remember the food overhaul, it happened when I was in 11th grade. The food itself wasn't affected at all, but they took out ALL of the vending machines. Before then I had a diet Coke with lunch everyday, but after that I had to have milk, and I don't like milk at all.

You'll probably laugh at this: Despite being stereotypically 'ghetto' my school never had many problems with illegal stuff. But after the vending machines got taken out the black market for snacks and cokes took off. A few kids got busted for smuggling junk food into the school and selling it for a mark up.  lol

Caballia

2015 Feb 20, 04:19:49 #15477 Last Edit: 2015 Feb 20, 04:31:43 by Caballia
Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2015 Feb 20, 04:15:12
But after the vending machines got taken out the black market for snacks and cokes took off. A few kids got busted for smuggling junk food into the school and selling it for a mark up.  lol

Oh yes. My favorite subject: Lunchroom economics. When I was in school energy drinks were a top commodity. Bring a 4 pack of monster into the lunchroom and you had 4 lunches that day.
Oh, what a night

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2015 Feb 20, 04:15:12
I remember the food overhaul, it happened when I was in 11th grade. The food itself wasn't affected at all, but they took out ALL of the vending machines. Before then I had a diet Coke with lunch everyday, but after that I had to have milk, and I don't like milk at all.

You'll probably laugh at this: Despite being stereotypically 'ghetto' my school never had many problems with illegal stuff. But after the vending machines got taken out the black market for snacks and cokes took off. A few kids got busted for smuggling junk food into the school and selling it for a mark up.  lol

lol
I just packed a can of Coke in my backpack each day and saved it til lunch. X3
They didn't take away the vending machines, at least. But they even took the diet soda and Minute Maide Lite and such out of the vending machines and left water, Vitamin Water (which actually is not healthy for you, by the way. Don't try to sue Coca Cola for that, though, because they'll somehow win the suit again with "If you really believe something named Vitamin Water is healthy, then you're stupid." Not even kidding.), Powerade, and Fuse juice.

The only real soda was in the teacher's lounge vending machines. If you were lucky enough, you'd get a cool teacher to take a dollar from you to buy you a soda. One of my teachers did, but she had to smuggle it because she would've gotten in trouble. *Sigh*

By the way, just a reminder to be careful what you talk about on the forum. We want to keep the forum child-friendly. Just doin' my job.

Midnight Breeze

Go Up