Fantasy Life (Nintendo 3DS)

Started by Mint Vanilla, 2014 Oct 29, 20:25:55

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Mint Vanilla

I picked up this delightful little game, and I am enjoying it greatly. There is a story to follow, but it is pretty much a "do whatever you want" kind of game. It is not quite sandbox; new areas still have to be unlocked via story progression, but otherwise the game is fairly open. There is quite a bit to do, mainly leveling up your classes (or Lives, as they're called), of which there are twelve of them to master.

To be honest, I kind of envisioned Legends of Equestria being similar to this--having different "lives" that one could choose to be, probably based on the cutie mark that one receives. I don't know how well it would work in an MMORPG, though.

Is anyone else playing Fantasy Life? No spoilers, please! ^-^

Rikaria

2014 Nov 03, 10:35:27 #1 Last Edit: 2014 Nov 03, 13:40:17 by Rikaria
One of the Skype groups I'm in keeps talking about this game. I still don't know if I wanna get it as this reminds me of Mabinogi (a MMORPG) which I didn't really like, but... I don't know... I guess I just need convincing, because reviews aren't helping.

EDIT: Never mind... I suppose I'll get it. I need a distraction till the major games and DLC for other games come out later this month, anyway.
If I'm not here, I'm most likely on Pokémon Shuffle's Miiverse community.

Mint Vanilla

If you've played London Life in the fourth Professor Layton game, I heard that Fantasy Life is kinda like that (not surprising since they're both made by the same company). I've also heard that Fantasy Life is similar to Rune Factory, minus the farming and marriage.

Mabinogi is that Nexon game, isn't it? I have not played it, so I don't know how similar it is to Fantasy Life. But if they are similar, then I may have to give Mabinogi a try.

Rikaria

I've actually never played any of those games you listed, and yes, Mabinogi is from Nexon. How they're similar is that you can play as whatever class you want to be (tailoring and the like included, though you can switch on-the-go), you can have pets that attack with you and have mounts, and there's big open worlds (with monsters, of course) to explore with friends. What's probably different (I'm not that far yet on Fantasy Life) is that there are instanced dungeons and you can age on Mabinogi.

Anyway, getting back on topic: I really like my character's appearance X3 She has the cat ears hairstyle along with the kitty mouth and "animal nose". I chose mage to start with, but I hope I can get more into tailoring later.

Mint Vanilla

Sounds cute! If you would like to play online multiplayer together, let me know and maybe we can add each other.

Rikaria

I'm like level 8 at the moment, soooooooooooooooo... X3 Maybe after I progress a bit, then I'll play with you.

Spoiler: I'm currently at (spoilers inside, obviously)... • show
I just finished getting the princess out of the castle. Gotta love apples lol

Ryo_D_Disk

to be honest the game is enjoyable and fun and is made by  a fantastic studio.

The game play is simplistic yet solid and progrestion doesnt feel as laborus as you may first think.

However its still a question as to why can't I go back and pick up and play. Logicly there is no reason I can't do so, yet something is holding me back.

I feel as if this is a game once you place it down the idea of the grind begins to haunt your head

(also if your curious as to my progression last I played wich was a couple weeks ago I was in the port town)

Mint Vanilla

Quote from: Rikaria on 2014 Nov 04, 00:13:10
I'm like level 8 at the moment, soooooooooooooooo... X3 Maybe after I progress a bit, then I'll play with you.

Spoiler: I'm currently at (spoilers inside, obviously)... • show
I just finished getting the princess out of the castle. Gotta love apples lol

You can pretty much play however you wish. Your exp level in and of itself doesn't matter a whole lot. I'm level 21, and I have no idea what you're talking about in your spoiler, so I think you're further in the story than I am. lol

Quote from: Ryo_D_Disk on 2014 Nov 04, 06:22:53I feel as if this is a game once you place it down the idea of the grind begins to haunt your head

If you're a completionist like I am, there is soooo much stuff to do in the game, so I can understand that it can be a little overwhelming. I've heard that the main story is pretty easy, though, so maybe if you just beat the game for now and worry about the grind later?

Ryo_D_Disk

oh don't get me wrong I enjoy playing the crafting system is interactive enough to keep me engaged and the story although rather basic is quite good.

All im saying is that the extended rest from the game is making it a hard one to pick back up.

Rikaria

Quote from: Mint Vanilla on 2014 Nov 04, 07:28:18
You can pretty much play however you wish. Your exp level in and of itself doesn't matter a whole lot. I'm level 21, and I have no idea what you're talking about in your spoiler, so I think you're further in the story than I am. lol

Oh... Well either way, I don't wanna be a burden if/when we do play together, so I'd like to at least be remotely around your level before we decide to go anything together X3

Mint Vanilla

Quote from: Rikaria on 2014 Nov 04, 09:27:51
Oh... Well either way, I don't wanna be a burden if/when we do play together, so I'd like to at least be remotely around your level before we decide to go anything together X3

Very well, I look forward to it! ^-^

Quote from: Ryo_D_Disk on 2014 Nov 04, 07:32:02
oh don't get me wrong I enjoy playing the crafting system is interactive enough to keep me engaged and the story although rather basic is quite good.

All im saying is that the extended rest from the game is making it a hard one to pick back up.

I know what you mean. I still have only two badges in Pokémon X... :c

Rikaria

2014 Nov 05, 00:02:24 #11 Last Edit: 2014 Nov 05, 12:30:11 by Rikaria
I think I've reached a point where I feel comfortable venturing with others now. You can find my FC in the link on my forum sig.

EDIT: This is such a funny/witty dialogue-filled game lol

Mint Vanilla

2014 Nov 06, 21:11:34 #12 Last Edit: 2014 Nov 06, 21:14:14 by Mint Vanilla
Added you! But... I can't connect to you in Fantasy Life. :'(

Edit: Can you try connecting to me?

Rikaria

Oh... whoops... I'm sorry... I didn't realize you posted back till now...

Actually, can it wait till tomorrow? I kinda have other stuff to do at the moment... x.x

Mint Vanilla

Oh, my bad. X3 Tomorrow it is.

Rikaria

2014 Nov 07, 11:08:15 #15 Last Edit: 2014 Nov 08, 19:29:23 by Rikaria
Gonna be playing with Ally Mode on, so whenever you feel like playing together, just message me in-game (since I'm most likely gonna forget checking back here... X3).

EDIT: I'm not sure if this is how we'll be able to message each other ingame, but anyway... (I also probably should've posted this way sooner.):

1. Enable Ally Mode by talking to a certain NPC in the Guild Office.
2. Tap Connect on the touch screen.
3. Tap Friends.
4. Press Y for Options.
5. Tap Connect Settings.
6. Turn on Ally Mode by tapping ON.
7. Tap Friend Settings.
8. Find me on your friends list then press A to connect.
9. Back out two screens and see if I'm listed.
10. I think you should be able to send messages to me in-game after that point (naturally, I already connected to you as well).

Spoiler: EDIT 2: I just finished the main story. Here's my thoughts. • show
I absolutely love the dialogue which really makes just about all the characters so lovable. That being said, the game felt a bit on the short side which made me want more witty/funny scenarios, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see what the post-story offers.

DeviousShadow

Just got this game for my gf and myself and we both love it, it has a great child like feel to it with an almost dark souls level of difficulty scaling (difference in recommended level for the second to third area being lvl 18 and 34 respectively) and the wide range of job classes reminded us both of bravely default (which you should totally get if you don't have it)

Overall 7/10 from me

WalterWrap2000

Quote from: Ryo_D_Disk on 2014 Nov 04, 07:32:02

Yeah, I'm currently in that void as well, though I love the game. I just don't have the motivation to continue right now, though I'd like to.  :s
"We have a happy Spring, and Summer, and Fall. Can't Winter be happy too?" -Snowdrop

*crying forcefully* "Yes, Snowdrop. Yes it can." -Walter Wrap

Go Up