33 (35.5%)
Unsure?
6 (6.5%)
Don't like pokemon (that's Impossible)
4 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Go Down

Blues-Music

Not sure what all of you are complaining about. X , and Y are awesome names. Better than calling something "Red." , and "Blue."
X , and Y have more sparks to it.

Flamestriker

I'm not complaining, I'm wondering how they'll name the generation after this one.
[move][/move]

Book Smarts

Quote from: Blues-Music on 2013 Jan 14, 14:39:32
Not sure what all of you are complaining about. X , and Y are awesome names. Better than calling something "Red." , and "Blue."
X , and Y have more sparks to it.

It was like a tradition for the main pokemon games to be named with colors, I've been playing since Pokemon Red and Blue, and it was a shock to me

Flamestriker

It is a shock when a new different name comes, isn't it? Though for a while they were named after gemstones.
[move][/move]

Book Smarts

Quote from: Flamestriker on 2013 Jan 14, 16:04:23
It is a shock when a new different name comes, isn't it? Though for a while they were named after gemstones.

That actually just occurred to me  :P, probably because they give off their own unique color with their shine

Flamestriker

Yeah, probably. As well as the fact that it makes sense. Especially ruby and sapphire.
[move][/move]

Darkangel

I just don't think X and Y are creative names, people always mark stuff as specimen X and specimen Y. X is also a overused letter to make things sound cool. /Noargumentplease
Don't know what to put here.
So I just am typing these words, not knowing what to type here.
Maybe later I'll figure out.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Darkangel on 2013 Jan 14, 18:23:09
I just don't think X and Y are creative names, people always mark stuff as specimen X and specimen Y. X is also a overused letter to make things sound cool. /Noargumentplease

"Hmm, I want my character's name to sound cool... What about... Xander. Dexter. Maximilian. Lex. Yeah, those names are so extreme."
lol

I kept wondering if Black/White would have a third game called Gray, but it never happened.

I also came up with Rainbow and Monochrome, since that would be pretty cool and still be colors. :] Could have a pretty good theme in the story, especially now that Black/White introduced having more differences than just game-specific pokemon. Rainbow could have more bright, colorful, cheerful places, and Monochrome could have places that have a bit of a darker spin. I'd so play Monochrome. ovO

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Flamestriker

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2013 Jan 15, 05:21:51
Quote from: Darkangel on 2013 Jan 14, 18:23:09

"Hmm, I want my character's name to sound cool... What about... Xander. Dexter. Maximilian. Lex. Yeah, those names are so extreme."
lol

I kept wondering if Black/White would have a third game called Gray, but it never happened.

I also came up with Rainbow and Monochrome, since that would be pretty cool and still be colors. :] Could have a pretty good theme in the story, especially now that Black/White introduced having more differences than just game-specific pokemon. Rainbow could have more bright, colorful, cheerful places, and Monochrome could have places that have a bit of a darker spin. I'd so play Monochrome. ovO

That'd be cool. Monochrome sounds so cool.
[move][/move]

Blues-Music

Pretty sure the reason it wasn't called grey is because nintendo wasn't sure if they should call it gray , or grey.

Rikaria

And while we're still waiting, I bring fanarts from the interwebz!

Spoiler: Totally would do this XD • show

Spoiler: show

If I'm not here, I'm most likely on Pokémon Shuffle's Miiverse community.

Book Smarts

Quote from: Rikaria on 2013 Jan 15, 09:57:58
And while we're still waiting, I bring fanarts from the interwebz!

Spoiler: Totally would do this XD • show

oh noooo, the cuteness X.X

Now I want to make a fox team  :3

Blues-Music

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Blues-Music on 2013 Jan 20, 06:04:59

Technically, the others could be considered colors and shades of colors. If something is a specific shade of red that reminds us of a ruby, then we tend to call it ruby, that kind of thing. Anything golden or silver colored tends to be referred to as gold or silver.

Diamond and Pearl, though, you've got me there. No one really calls anything diamond-colored, and calling something pearl comes up rarely.

Though, to me, "pearl" comes up as a color when I look at this:

Darkangel

Exactly. Only six games were named after colors. They were mostly valuable things.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Darkangel on 2013 Jan 20, 06:12:39

Exactly. Only six games were named after colors. They were mostly valuable things.

I'll say it again: Ruby, sapphire, emerald, silver, and gold are often words used to describe the color of something.

But you guys are right on diamond and crystal, and somewhat on pearl. Once again, I'll point out that it's not very often that you see a color that's pearl-like, so you're more likely to call something "pearly", unless you're talking about that beautiful pearl horse I posted.

Darkangel

I'm pretty sure the Pokemon developers were thinking of the mineral, not the color. Nobody uses minerals to describe color, except you may be right on the silver/gold part.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Darkangel on 2013 Jan 20, 06:24:07
I'm pretty sure the Pokemon developers were thinking of the mineral, not the color. Nobody uses minerals to describe color, except you may be right on the silver/gold part.

I've heard people use mineral colors to describe something's color, at least as an adjective. And not just in "ruby lip gloss", or the ruby slippers in Wizard of Oz.

Though, they may have started out like "We need more dynamic colors. How about ruby, emerald, and sapphire? Hey, that's like red, green, and blue!" then moved on with "You know what else is dynamic? Silver and gold. And... uh... Crystal? Hey, the precious objects." and transitioned into precious objects. :c

Rissian

According to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapphire_(color) sapphire is considered a color and was first used in english to describe a color in 1430. But the color itself is also a reference to the minerals themselves but they are considered real colors as well. Ruby and other gems were likely used to describe colors in the same way.

If I recall emerald ruby and sapphire games were transparent so they were likely referring to the gems but ruby sapphire and emerald are still considered colors as well as gems.

Darkangel

2013 Jan 20, 06:35:12 #99 Last Edit: 2013 Jan 20, 06:37:19 by Darkangel
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2013 Jan 20, 06:29:44
Quote from: Darkangel on 2013 Jan 20, 06:24:07

I've heard people use mineral colors to describe something's color, at least as an adjective. And not just in "ruby lip gloss", or the ruby slippers in Wizard of Oz.

Though, they may have started out like "We need more dynamic colors. How about ruby, emerald, and sapphire? Hey, that's like red, green, and blue!" then moved on with "You know what else is dynamic? Silver and gold. And... uh... Crystal? Hey, the precious objects." and transitioned into precious objects. :c
That's how I think of it. They are all named after precious objects. By the way, G/S/C was made before R/S/E. And C/E was made after G/S and R/S. You stated it wrong. Or I'm being a total idiot and you're actually saying that they didn't want to make R/S/E first.

Edit: I also think its minerals because of the transparent games and the Emerald boxes sparkled.

Go Up