OH SNAP, VIRUSES.

Started by Ründo, 2013 Mar 26, 23:13:49

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Ründo

2013 Mar 26, 23:13:49 Last Edit: 2013 Mar 26, 23:20:08 by Ründo
Got hit by the MoneyPack: federal bureau of investigations  Virus.   Fortunately the thing is benign, and simply requires a system restore.
Currently: staring into space
Was: working on Tekner's MLP Minecraft Mod
Playing: Minecraft, Space Engineers, Cities: Skylines

The Stars

Heh, funny, Never heard someone use benign in the terms of a PC virus.
I also had one of those annoying browser redirect viruses that I had to manually fix in one of system 32's subfolders
Heads up!

// Thanks a lot Tiger! :D

Ründo

I hate those so much.

Seriack

I guess I'm pretty lucky. Not really had any big ol' bad viruses my Anti-Virus couldn't take care of.
[move][/move]
Thanks Soriku for the Pixel Poneh!
My OC's((Only one so far))
"Let me carry your burdens"

The Stars

I went through 7 antivirus programs now :U
Heads up!

Bravo 658

I hope to get to know my task manager so well that I can just terminate the virus's activity whenever it pops up... X3

Book Smarts

One of my room mates got a virus that told him the FBI locked his laptop down because he downloaded illegal software. The only way to unlock it was to go buy a CVS gift card and send it to a certain email address(clearly not government). Some of these virus' really don't try too hard  >.<

Ründo

yeah it's pretty bad...FYI: the FBI is more likely to just knock on your door and drag you off rather than give you prior notice.

Book Smarts

Quote from: Ründo on 2013 Mar 27, 00:49:23
yeah it's pretty bad...FYI: the FBI is more likely to just knock on your door and drag you off rather than give you prior notice.

Informed him of that after I was done rolling on the floor laughing

Seriack

Avira hasn't let me down yet!
[move][/move]
Thanks Soriku for the Pixel Poneh!
My OC's((Only one so far))
"Let me carry your burdens"

Rissian

2013 Mar 27, 02:27:40 #10 Last Edit: 2013 Mar 27, 02:29:20 by Trege
I've been through 3-4 Antivirus programs and none have worked as well as Comodo. I switched from Norton to Mcafee to AVG and finally found Comodo. Norton back when we used XP couldn't even protect from the blaster worm as far as I know. We had one of those worms that restarted your PC constantly. Eventually I just formatted the system. One thing sucky about worms is their ability to spread without the user doing much at all if I recall they got through some exploit early on in XP's life.

Mcafee proceeded to release all the viruses it had quarantined once the subscription expired at least that's all I can assume that happened, as right as it expired the PC began to crash. Likely it was just the protections expiring is all I can think of because a PC crashing right after something expires is so unlikely that it can't have been a coincidence.

(This was also on XP so It was likely early on in it's life when exploits for it were easy without proper security. Likely service pack 1. Since we had our old XP around 2001+.)

I don't have much to say about AVG as I liked Comodo the best after I switched to it. It's one of those security systems that only allows things you want to run on your PC and asks you about everything you do run, secure from automated threats but if the user themselves ran anything harmful that's a different story. Although Comodo does have lists of unsafe programs that it checks, and definitions with each update.

Anyways hopefully that virus wasn't a time activated one, if it was system restore will just delay it although it could be one of the less well designed viruses that system restore can get rid of. Also hopefully your system doesn't have some form of malware that downloads viruses over time that would also suck.  :s

Ründo

It's probably gone.  as for Malware...ugh, I hope that isn't how it got on.  Would be such a pain to remove.

Chishio Kunrin

When I was a kid, I liked to play the 3-day free trial of ToonTown. I did that two or three times, and every single time, once my trial got to the 3rd day, my computer would start having issues working and would almost die. We had to restore the computer to a previous state each time. X3 So, I nearly killed that computer two or three times for an obviously infected kid MMO. It was such a fun game, though. I didn't realize where the virus was coming from at first.

Still a bit odd that it would kick in on the 3rd day, though. o_o

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Lord of Madness

Quote from: Book Smarts on 2013 Mar 27, 00:41:52
One of my room mates got a virus that told him the FBI locked his laptop down because he downloaded illegal software. The only way to unlock it was to go buy a CVS gift card and send it to a certain email address(clearly not government). Some of these virus' really don't try too hard  >.<

the person that made that virus did not think it through that well did they :P

Lucien

Quote from: Lord of Madness on 2013 Mar 27, 12:50:54
Quote from: Book Smarts on 2013 Mar 27, 00:41:52

the person that made that virus did not think it through that well did they :P

"I'm not so sure how well this plan was thought through. Master?" (i have a big head and little arms)

I remember dealing with a registry virus that involved my manipulation of CCleaner. Somehow the virus had shut down my Avast antivirus. I got Spybot Search and Destroy and a few other antivirus things (malwarebytes included), and eventually my computer got back to normal. I felt kind of accomplished because it was mostly my manipulation of a simpler program without an antivirus to get rid of it. (Kill off all the startup programs that you deem malicious, and find registry errors and fix them)

Also, the TeaTimer program Spybot uses to make sure viruses aren't getting in through registry (shows you registry changes and asks if you want to allow or disallow them) uses up a lot of CPU, which is a little annoying.
Starting anew. I am a musician. My past here means nothing.

HerpyDooves

My computer is so horrible that if I want to do something, I just do it anyway lol I use AVG and CCleaner, and I only bump into a virus once every few months.

I am very smart when it comes to virus' though, but my brother ...if I see Ilivid on here one more time...

Also, if any of you use Firefox or Googlechrome, get adblock, usually helps with some stuff, can keep you away from virus' sometimes.

Charizard_2

I hate viruses. The XP Defender Virus is the worst I've encountered.
It just blocks everything, and you can't go on the internet, paint, type in notepad.
The only solution is just starting from scratch.
With pie comes great responsibility.

My Pony Name: Charred Flame (Char for short)

SweBow

I myself use a couple of stuff to protect me.

Microsoft Security Essentials (Surprisingly good and light!)
My brain!
and Spybot Search & Destroy (I love the possibility to blacklist known viruses etc. before they even enter my system :D)

Pipkin

I can't really call avast an antivirus, kinda slow and useless, so really I don't have antivirus, was looking for something decent.  I forgot about spybot....can't remember why I stopped using it.

As for Norton, my father told me....oh, 7-8 years ago it was garbage and to never use it.  I assume he knows his computer stuff being a school board IT supervisor.

The Stars

Ok, just got fooled by that freaking Ow.ly trojan worm.
Basically it's a virus that only screws with the proper operation of skype, causing it to become unstable and some functions will not work correctly
Don't click on ow.ly links :U If you do, heres what you do: Uninstall skype, Run a virus scanner, run CCcleaner. I mean GET UP IN THAT HARDDRIVE If you want this gone, just to be safe XD Reinstall skype after that, and just to be safe, like Itty Bit told me, Change your password >.>
Heads up!

Go Up