Equestrian technology

Started by Griffon, 2014 May 21, 18:28:09

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Griffon

Let's see at the Equestrian technology.

The horse drawn trains are no more.

EKG has been seen in some episodes.

Princess Celestia: Ah, Philomena, my pet. You're awake.

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: Griffon on 2014 May 21, 18:28:09
EKG has been seen in some episodes.

Spoiler: show

That's not EKG, it's telemetry.  ^-^

Mizuki

I'm sure if Lauren Faust were still around, telemetry wouldn't have made it into the show :c

Heck she didn't even want to have "normal" trains (it's why horses pulled them in the first place) but when you add her leaving plus Hasbro's influence, yeah :C

Inconsistency is pretty annoying when you're trying to get a "feel" for their world. It's becoming more like MLP: Tales where the only key difference is that there's no humans around.

Which could be good or bad, depending on the location I guess.

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

SnoWidget

It's hard to say what level of technology they're in, I think it's safe to say they have some sort of mix of somewhat modern tech(trains) and then a lot of it still being in a somewhat renaissance state. 

Dawnstar

I'd say their technology is some weird hybrid transition of pre-industrial to post-industrial technology levels. Given their access to magic I would assume that they are able to bypass some of the (Human) requirements of industrialization which allows cities like Manehattan to appear so modern while small/frontier towns like Ponyville and Appleoosa appear less advanced. Probably due to a mixture of being more removed from more advanced areas (amplified by lack of fast information capabilities like internet or even phones), as well as their populations being very traditionalist.

Also, while Canterlot may appear more renaissance in its styling, I would be extremely surprised if the capital of Equestra wasn't at least close to being on-par with cities like Manehattan. Rather the renaissance appearance is likely much like many old European and early American cities where classic architecture was maintained, but upgraded with modern technology.

MrEmu

The show seem to be in a 'Free-Style' state where you'll see a fridge and phone but then a horse drawn cart and stuff.
I found this quite endearing about the show because it gave it simplicity! if somepony has a toaster in their fanfic it's no big deal because Equestria could actually have those for all we know...

HerpyDooves

Lauren Faust was one that originally designed the show, and apparently she was the only one that cared about small details, so I'm sticking with her, meaning that anything that would need electricity or any modern technology is completely out of the question, no matter what. In a world full of magic, there is no room for it.

I also know that there's another thread kinda like this somewhere, so if you wanna read up more on the topic, it's... somewhere lol

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: HerpyDooves on 2014 May 26, 21:06:52
Lauren Faust was one that originally designed the show, and apparently she was the only one that cared about small details, so I'm sticking with her, meaning that anything that would need electricity or any modern technology is completely out of the question, no matter what. In a world full of magic, there is no room for it.

What the...

You realize they had electric lighting in season 1....

HerpyDooves

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2014 May 26, 21:19:47
Quote from: HerpyDooves on 2014 May 26, 21:06:52

What the...

You realize they had electric lighting in season 1....

What. What episode?

I'd say that it was confirmed that magic completely replaced science in Equestria, but that might be my thoughts on the other topic replacing actual fact. Hmm.

I dunno. But just know that we can only meet Hasbro halfway. We can't rely on them for all the details.

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: HerpyDooves on 2014 May 26, 21:48:17
I'd say that it was confirmed that magic completely replaced science in Equestria, but that might be my thoughts on the other topic replacing actual fact. Hmm.

This suggestion is OFFENSIVE AND RACIST!  >:O

How dare you suggest that those of us without the natural ability of unicorn magic should be denied such basic technological comforts? I am quite frankly DISGUSTED, sir!

Quote from: HerpyDooves on 2014 May 26, 21:48:17
I dunno. But just know that we can only meet Hasbro halfway. We can't rely on them for all the details.

You can't just cover your eyes and pretend those things aren't there, you know. If they are in the show then they are in the show. You can't pick and choose the canon you want to accept.  :/

HerpyDooves

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2014 May 26, 21:52:14
This suggestion is OFFENSIVE AND RACIST!  >:O

How dare you suggest that those of us without the natural ability of unicorn magic should be denied such basic technological comforts? I am quite frankly DISGUSTED, sir!

You know there are different types of magic then just physical unicorn magic. :] People say that Earth-ponies are left out when it comes to magic, and they even leave them out when the bring up alicorns (saying that they are a mixed breed between just unicorns and pegasi). But they are known for their strength and will, and you can't as well ignore that :3

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2014 May 26, 21:52:14
You can't just cover your eyes and pretend those things aren't there, you know. If they are in the show then they are in the show. You can't pick and choose the canon you want to accept.  :/

I'm not even sure, Midnight. I'm 50% positive that Lauren did confirm this, though. So there's still a chance that both ideas may be canon. I'm just too lazy to go through her Twitter right now. lol

Midnight Breeze

2014 May 28, 13:15:47 #11 Last Edit: 2014 May 28, 13:22:22 by Midnight Breeze
Equestria as a whole can't be equivalized to any particular real-world era because its cities are meant to be thematic. Its cities span the ages from the renaissance to the modern era.

Thematically Appleoosa and Marrebonne would be more 'advanced' than Canterlot and the Crystal Empire (which is apparently only one city despite being an 'empire') if we're talking calendrically. That's because Canterlot and the Crystal Empire are themed toward the renaissance era during the real-world 1300-1500, while Appaloosa and Marrebonne are themed toward the era of the American frontier, which wasn't until the 1700. Then we have Manehattan, which seems to be themed toward 1850-1900.

Given the track record for cities spanning the eras, I wouldn't be surprised if we came across a city themed in the information era of 2010+.  :P

Howitzer

The one thing I want to know is which time period they're set in, photography wise.
Of course we have the most popular camera shown, the huge brownie camera in a case. so with this you would think either this is set sometime during the early 1900's or camera progress was set back 70 years.

But yet we also have the advanced film cameras shown either with ponies using them in large crowds, or if they need something portable. 1970's

And then there's......EQG, which (though it is not interconnecting with the show) throws logic out the door further with full digital DSLR cameras. Today

LoE not working as it should? Submit bugs here: http://phabricator.legendsofequestria.com/maniphest/task/edit/form/1/
------->  Jurassic Systems <-----------

HerpyDooves

Quote from: Howitzer on 2014 May 28, 15:47:11
The one thing I want to know is which time period they're set in, photography wise.
Of course we have the most popular camera shown, the huge brownie camera in a case. so with this you would think either this is set sometime during the early 1900's or camera progress was set back 70 years.

But yet we also have the advanced film cameras shown either with ponies using them in large crowds, or if they need something portable. 1970's

And then there's......EQG, which (though it is not interconnecting with the show) throws logic out the door further with full digital DSLR cameras. Today

I wouldn't actually count EQG, considering how it's set in a different world altogether. But the different cameras in the same time period definitely is noteworthy.

Dawnstar

2014 May 29, 00:07:04 #14 Last Edit: 2014 May 29, 00:15:54 by Dawnstar
Yeah, EQG is a different setting all together.

I would almost say the more modern, but probably not quite digital cameras that we see more commonly than the older style cameras are likely the actual technological norm in that case. I tried looking around for more examples of the older style ones and as far as I can tell Photo Finish and Cranky Doodle Donkey are the only ones to have used it (unless someone can find an example I couldn't). In Cranky's case it sort of falls into the 'old guy with old camera' stereotype and it is likely something he's held onto for years. As for Photo Finish: well... if anything it fits her eccentric style. Maybe she just likes the design of older cameras, who knows?

Also, I wouldn't rate Canterlot under a renaissance tech level at all. Yes the architecture looks like it might be your standard renaissance/fantasy type city, but, for one, it would make absolutely no sense for the capital of all Equestria to not have comparable facilities as some of the other, more advanced cities.

Secondly, there are cities all over Europe and in parts of the US that still maintain many of their renaissance, colonial and industrial styled buildings all while having very modern accommodations. If anything any modern additions to Canterlot are carefully hidden or disguised to maintain appearances.

In fact, honestly, at the bare minimum Equestria falls under early industrial. Ponyville itself has access to electricity as well as probably a few other industrial+ technologies. Not to mention steam trains and airships. The kitchen Applejack was working in during a Canterlot Wedding also had sinks which indicate working plumbing as well as a rather modern looking stove. This is of course not even including Manehatten which sits somewhere in the late industrial to early modern area, and if the official map is included there are a couple other cities that share a similar advanced tech state.

Whether their technology is powered by electricity or magic makes little difference. Though given the dam in Mysterious Mare do Well and It's About Time, my bet's on electricity.

WalterWrap2000

/\
                                                                       /\
                                                                       /\                    :P
"We have a happy Spring, and Summer, and Fall. Can't Winter be happy too?" -Snowdrop

*crying forcefully* "Yes, Snowdrop. Yes it can." -Walter Wrap

Echo-13

2014 Jul 10, 22:31:31 #16 Last Edit: 2014 Jul 10, 22:34:06 by Echo-13
Much of the technology in Equestria is based on transportation, healthcare, and various career types ie. photography, writing, music stuff... Anyway very little is actually used for entertainment and much of what they have for entertainment is meant to be used in a group setting.
And considering ponies are incredibly social and put social relationships as a high priority they wouldn't really need computers, TV, video games etc. yes they do have them but many ponies use them.
What I'm trying to say is that they really only have what's needed to help maintain those social relationships. It's actually pretty cool.  X3

Post Merge

Much of the technology in Equestria is based on transportation, healthcare, and various career types ie. photography, writing, music stuff... Anyway very little is actually used for entertainment and much of what they have for entertainment is meant to be used in a group setting.
And considering ponies are incredibly social and put social relationships as a high priority they wouldn't really need computers, TV, video games etc. yes they do have them but many ponies use them.
What I'm trying to say is that they really only have what's needed to help maintain those social relationships. It's actually pretty cool.  X3

Sunlit Shadow

They use Final Fantasy like tecnology :p  there are tv's . Lasers. Reactors, giant robots but you fight with swords bows and magic... (excluding the fact that some uses guns). Its the kind of thing that i preffer to enjoy than argue... it gives me headaches thinking too much on it. Thanks for the time :3

Ps: first post/reply   yaaayy!

Bro1997

2014 Jul 31, 18:40:38 #18 Last Edit: 2014 Jul 31, 19:07:51 by Bro1997
Quote from: SnoWidget on 2014 May 21, 22:09:16
It's hard to say what level of technology they're in, I think it's safe to say they have some sort of mix of somewhat modern tech(trains) and then a lot of it still being in a somewhat renaissance state.

It wouldn't make much since for the ponies to have modern technology like computers and television because that won't teach children or little girls in this case that there is more to life then technology. Plus, most of our modern technological advances is only done because we don't have magic and we have features like hands.

Post Merge

Quote from: Echo-13 on 2014 Jul 10, 22:31:31

Post Merge

It makes a whole lot of sense now that I think about it. Technology has really damaged the whole reason why we are here on Earth. I'm certain that social relationships are the most important in our world as much as in Equestria and that we should focus on that then all the technology out there. It really does make me feel bad how technology has impacted myself with developing social skills alone and I feel that I could be better off living as a pony in Equestria spending time with family and friends rather then having to stress out over the amount of technology out there. Plus, how could you use cars, video games, TVs, and computers if you have hooves? Not to mention that you have magic if your a unicorn or alicorn.

Post Merge

Quote from: Dawnstar on 2014 May 29, 00:07:04
Yeah, EQG is a different setting all together.

I would almost say the more modern, but probably not quite digital cameras that we see more commonly than the older style cameras are likely the actual technological norm in that case. I tried looking around for more examples of the older style ones and as far as I can tell Photo Finish and Cranky Doodle Donkey are the only ones to have used it (unless someone can find an example I couldn't). In Cranky's case it sort of falls into the 'old guy with old camera' stereotype and it is likely something he's held onto for years. As for Photo Finish: well... if anything it fits her eccentric style. Maybe she just likes the design of older cameras, who knows?

Also, I wouldn't rate Canterlot under a renaissance tech level at all. Yes the architecture looks like it might be your standard renaissance/fantasy type city, but, for one, it would make absolutely no sense for the capital of all Equestria to not have comparable facilities as some of the other, more advanced cities.

Secondly, there are cities all over Europe and in parts of the US that still maintain many of their renaissance, colonial and industrial styled buildings all while having very modern accommodations. If anything any modern additions to Canterlot are carefully hidden or disguised to maintain appearances.

In fact, honestly, at the bare minimum Equestria falls under early industrial. Ponyville itself has access to electricity as well as probably a few other industrial+ technologies. Not to mention steam trains and airships. The kitchen Applejack was working in during a Canterlot Wedding also had sinks which indicate working plumbing as well as a rather modern looking stove. This is of course not even including Manehatten which sits somewhere in the late industrial to early modern area, and if the official map is included there are a couple other cities that share a similar advanced tech state.

Whether their technology is powered by electricity or magic makes little difference. Though given the dam in Mysterious Mare do Well and It's About Time, my bet's on electricity.

I don't think that electricity exists in Equestria. Most things that are powered are probably by magic. It would certainly be more environmentally friendly and knowing the citizens of Equestria, they probably do care a lot about the environment more. We have electricity only because magic doesn't exist.

Post Merge

Quote from: HerpyDooves on 2014 May 28, 17:29:09
Quote from: Howitzer on 2014 May 28, 15:47:11

I wouldn't actually count EQG, considering how it's set in a different world altogether. But the different cameras in the same time period definitely is noteworthy.

The reason for this is because digital cameras would have no sense in having since Equestria doesn't have the internet or computers for that instance and that film cameras are more appropriate since they can develop actual pictures that the ponies could look at. Both worlds are set in the same time period, but the fact that ponies have different features then us humans and the fact that friendships are way more of a big deal in Equestria then our love for technology just proves that the pony world is way better then our world. EQG is set in our world which is the obvious reason for more modern technology. Twilight herself was confused when she was in the human world over how to work a keyboard and the fact that she didn't understand how she was being shown on the TV screens in the school hallway and why she was being bullied for it. Believe me, this just proves that technology can hurt relationships and the person itself.

Bro1997

What I don't get is that Button's Adventures (it's pilot) had modern technologies like Televisions, a refrigerator, NES, Game Boy (Joy Boy), and things I don't see in MLP FIM. Yet, Hasbro put a C&D on JanAnimations because it looked more like the show!

Go Up