Dark Souls

Started by Sunshine Smash, 2014 Oct 29, 16:00:02

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Sunshine Smash

So I just found out I have Dark Souls downloaded on my Xbox. Figured I'd give it a go. Is it as hard as people say it is?

Deep inside..... We're kindred spirits...... You..... And I......

Zsaszz

Turn back while you still can... save your sanity  ovO

Sunshine Smash

Quote from: Zsaszz on 2014 Oct 29, 16:21:41

Already beat the Asylum Demon. How hard could it be?

-ReiMar-

Quote from: Sunshine Smash on 2014 Oct 29, 16:22:50
Quote from: Zsaszz on 2014 Oct 29, 16:21:41

Already beat the Asylum Demon. How hard could it be?

This fool knows not what he says~ Beware! BEWARE!! Big chest ahead! Try holding with both hands!
ovO

Shadow Mare

I have Dark Souls but should I skip it and go straight for Dark Souls 2?

Zsaszz

dark souls 2 was easier, but that's probably because i already had beaten ds1 so i did knew in what i was getting myself into,
but well that was until new game+ when things got real in ds2. i would suggest to beat first ds1 to get knowledge of the lore and the curse itself, but if you're not interested in the story you can easily jump to ds2.

Etherdrone

I would say that Dark Souls is a game that is about as difficult as you make it to be. If you are careful, read your surroundings and learn how enemies fight you and strike back accordingly, then you are bound to not have such a hard time when playing it. Try to hardball through the enemies, however, and you'll die like a dog and the game will laugh at you.

Itty Bit

I heard somebody once beat Darksouls with a Guitar Hero controller. I don't know how they did it, or if I even want to believe it.

I've played a bit of it myself. I really got into it about a year ago, but I actually never got around to finishing it... Although I really aught to try again some time.

Rissian

2014 Nov 01, 15:45:39 #8 Last Edit: 2014 Nov 01, 15:49:48 by Trege
Quote from: Etherdrone on 2014 Oct 31, 00:44:28
I would say that Dark Souls is a game that is about as difficult as you make it to be. If you are careful, read your surroundings and learn how enemies fight you and strike back accordingly, then you are bound to not have such a hard time when playing it. Try to hardball through the enemies, however, and you'll die like a dog and the game will laugh at you.

-Insert name here has invaded with super OP gear somehow-
-YOU HAVE DIED-   ovO

Seriously though playing online in DS you never know what's going to happen. There are many strategies you can use but so can a enemy player. Unless you play in offline mode. Then your boss fights are harder because few bosses have NPC summons. Still I love the game and have 5+ characters in DS1 and DS2 for PC.

I have an archer named Octavia in DS1 I actually drove red phantoms insane with her.  I have the ring of the fog hornet ring and eagle ring combined with mail breaker and a Electric Bow. I lured the red phantom who had really good armor, and a giant flipping sword to the bridge, ran behind him and threw him off the cliff. Reason being he invaded my world for 30 minutes straight getting hit by arrows then healing then getting hit again I really got tired of his healing.  x3

Midnight Breeze

I bought it a few months ago but the PC version sucks big time and I didn't even make it past control mapping.

I've heard player-made mods fixed all the jarring issues with the PC version but I haven't gotten around to trying it out yet.

Teal Turken

2014 Nov 08, 18:37:40 #10 Last Edit: 2014 Nov 09, 09:22:41 by Teal Turken
Dark Souls 1 is a harder and, in my opinion, a better game than Dark Souls 2.
However it has a poor intro that turns most players off. Aside from that, a fantastic game. Most playstyles are viable, but don't try an "archer" character or you'll have an extremely tough time.

Dark Souls 2 is very hard, though easier than Dark Souls 1. It has a much friendlier intro and is far easier to get into than Dark Souls 1. The level design is more "video gamey" than the first game and everything moves faster. The game mostly suffers from poor balancing with magic and lazy boss designs mimicking the first game's bosses (but not all of the bosses).

That's just a short summary of what I think of both games.
Either game will feel somewhat easy if you complete one and then play the other.

Sunshine Smash

So I was walking around The Depths trying to free this guy. Walked in to the boss room by accident..... I was less than pleased with dying....  >:O

Teal Turken

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2014 Nov 05, 01:45:51
I bought it a few months ago but the PC version sucks big time and I didn't even make it past control mapping.

I've heard player-made mods fixed all the jarring issues with the PC version but I haven't gotten around to trying it out yet.

The PC version of Dark Souls (1) was not a very good port. You do need mods in order to make it playable.

Dark Souls 2 PC is fully functional and is in fact better than the console ports. If you can, get the PC version of Dark Souls 2. The load times are super fast and the game looks much better.

Sunshine Smash

And it's done! I beat the game, except for the NG+. But I'm counting that as a game completion. Kid Icarus Uprising was harder  :s

Chibalt

Dark souls 2 has in my opinion some SERIOUSLY flawed design with enemy placements in the DLC, need I mention Iron Passage? That place is hell, you can't take out the mages in any way except luring or ranged attacks, while they slow you and you are being attacked by 3-4 enemies in every single room, and because of the slowing running past them is harder too, not to mention the boss afterwards is basically one they ruined the original design of by making recovery animations on it so fast it's almost impossible to hit it without constantly risking getting hit yourself.

The difficulty came from cheap enemy placements, not hard enemies. And the bosses were often really boring and really lore-insignificant.
My OCs: http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=11833.msg777677#msg777677
Don't be afraid to make suggestions regarding any of the characters there if you have some.

Go Up