Games going down the drain?

Started by Blues-Music, 2012 Jun 24, 11:11:45

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Blues-Music

If you are a good gamer you know the meaning of bad games.Yes thats one thing it takes to be a good gamer bad gamers usually buy any game then say if I spent money on it its amazing so they don't feel like they paid money for nothing ,but whats worse than a bad game?A good game getting a bad sequel here is a thread to discuss them well heres a list of mine:

Legend of zelda twilight princess:Look I may be a little off on this it's a sort of nice game not my favorite in the series ,but first of lets state the meaning of sequels in the legend of zelda its all categorized by graphics it goes like this majoras mask is sequel to ocarina of time four swords ,and spirit tracks are sequels to windwaker ((I think I got that one wrong)) ,and I bet your all saying if thats true then Twilight princess is not a sequel skyward sword is a sequel to it ,but actually its a sequel to majoras mask sort of after the big hit of majoras mask the best zelda game for scaring you in a subtle way instead of having things pop out on you nintendo kept going:Hmm people liked majoras mask because it was dark....Lets give it graphics ,and turn everything dark through the graphics with bad colors ,and not being able to see anything.Majoras mask had so many depressing things such as the chance of the sad tree in the beginning of the game being the Deku butlers son ((I have proof ask ,and i'l post it.))If you fail romani's alien quest she gets abducted ,and all of her family react ,and the moon destroying everything. also go to romani ranch at the 3rd day at night ,and you talk to cremia ((Or something like that))And out of fear she asks Romani to sleep next to her to cuddle her sister with love before their demise.It had so many depressing moments that its an insult that nintendo thought that the way to gain its depression was to give it dark graphics.

Starfox adventures:I love starfox ,but this doesn't need talking what happened to starfox 64?The flying the shooting the barrel rolls!I wanted that instead of a basic beat em up game with its own language.Begining of the game:auay djoeil sjduey krazoa palace.

Banjo kazooie nuts ,and bolts:Again not talking about it much.They just got the over world made it empty gave you a car ,and told you to get missions fully outside banjo kazooie style I would understand if it was any other game about lego cars ,but why slap banjo kazooie on it?

Most sonic games:I say this a lot ,and I mean ALOT ,but sega had the best games ever thanks to sonic such as sonic 4 ,and sonic heroes ,but then they suddenly got drugged ,and made the sonic story book series which I am certain is just because they ran out of money to make actual cutscenes ,and they turned sonic into a werewolf WHY JUST WHY?!?!?What made them think it was a good idea to turn a fast hedge hog into a werewolf?WHY DID YOU GIVE UP AND TURN IT INTO A BEAT EM UP GAME?

Well what else didn't I mention?Chat about that here.

Lary

Those are only a handful of series. There are still a lot of good games in this day and age. Like all media, you need to wad through the crap to get to it.
(Example: Sonic Colors and onward take Sonic back to what the fans expect from him)

Gaming has a big gaping wound in it, but it's not dying.
Could've been something great. But ya' blew it... Ya' blew it.

Rad Thunder

The thing about Nuts N' Bolts is, most people don't like it because it doesn't fit what Banjo and Kazooie's past games were like. I enjoyed it myself because once you got past that, it was a fun game. :P

I agree with SF Adventures. If memory serves me correct, it wasn't even supposed to be a Star Fox game in the first place, but it somehow got painted with Fox and his team. :l

Twilight Princess is my 2nd fav in the series, next to MM. But I always find fun in Zelda games, but it could just be the Nintendo fanboy in me.

And I stopped playing Sonic after SA2. That's all I'm saying about that.

Blues-Music

2012 Jun 24, 11:17:44 #3 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 24, 11:22:47 by Blues-Music
To Larry:
Oh sorry I forgot to type in that this doesn't go to all games some good things are coming up *Most are just FPS ,but I forgive you companies that are too scared to think outside the box*
To Rad:
Exactly I keep wondering why they would make a need for speed game ,and slap banjo kazooie on it.Its like making the Legend of zelda Modern warfare 3.Also the reason Twilight princess took so long to describe as bad is because its good just bad to the Legend of Zelda standards.

snarfgsnor

its funny you kinda only took thoose exampels. i can come up with more example that isnt that kinda of toonish adventure games (zelda is better than that though)

BUT!
the biggest reason why sometimes the games becomes "bad" is becuase the concept and the idea os the games are getting old. you have seen it several time and felt it several times and thus making it kinda old. you can complain and say you still love the concept etc. thats fine and it is awesome if you can hang out on the game after several sequals witht he same style. and the end it becomes boring and therefor it feels more bad. new and shiney is always the best, in most cases.
new ideas: new ideas can be gamebreaking in both ways. it can turn a good game into bad and bad into good. i have seen several times that have happend.
when a gold mine of a game starting to loose its fan base most company would try to keep them and start doing weird things to make the games feel new and polished. sometimes the idea are just stupid and sometimes they can be good. diffrent gameplay could be changed and very often it can be a success because gameplay is very importent to make new things look intresting and awesome. graphics and evirment is ofcourse importent.

but yeah all games becomes "old" sometimes and some companies make sequals just to make money. and some ideas can ruin a whole series and make everything out of place. but in order to make a serie survive it will need change. becuase i doubt you would run through 10 games with exact same gameplay and style but just with new courses and flashies lol if you do, then wow o_O then you must be a fan lol

avatar made by TheMysteriousArtist,and stardust for the pictures in the signature. go check thoose artists out!!

Book Smarts

It's not the plot that's destroying games, it's the way the companies are trying to get extra dough at the expense of gamers. Battlefield 3 is my favorite example of this since I enjoyed playing the game when it was first released back in last Fall. The first thing I noticed which made me upset was the Online Pass requirement which I was lucky enough to have since my Xbox 360 copy was brand new. If it wasn't, I would've had to pay up another $15 to play the best part of the game which was multiplayer(I never touched the single player campaign). If you got the game used from a rental service or from Gamestop, this would defiantly make you lose your mind since you would have to pay up.
In addition to this, another thing that angered me was the first map pack released which cost another $15 and only gave you four new maps. This started to put a damper on my gaming experience since half the servers were cut off from me because I never decided to purchase the pack.
The final straw came with the radical redesign of the online half of the game which introduced expensive server rentals that took away the well moderated DICE servers and replaced them with luny non moderated ones. I literally couldn't play a regular match since friendly fire was always on and my own team mates would C4 me when I was actually trying to play seriously. If I got a jet, a team mate would be waiting at the AA gun and shoot me down as I'm taking off. No matter which public rental server I went on, the same thing would always happen. There were still DICE servers, but they always well hidden and even if you were able to find one amongst the rental servers, they always have long queue lines which were always filled with,"premium," players who were promised front of the line permission for coughing up a another one time fee of $60.
After a week of the revamp, I got rid of the game and swore never to buy another FPS or anything from DICE again.

(I typed this up quickly, please excuse any grammar mistakes)

Lary

Quote from: Book Smarts on 2012 Jun 24, 12:44:11
It's not the plot that's destroying games, it's the way the companies are trying to get extra dough at the expense of gamers. Battlefield 3 is my favorite example of this since I enjoyed playing the game when it was first released back in last Fall. The first thing I noticed which made me upset was the Online Pass requirement which I was lucky enough to have since my Xbox 360 copy was brand new. If it wasn't, I would've had to pay up another $15 to play the best part of the game which was multiplayer(I never touched the single player campaign). If you got the game used from a rental service or from Gamestop, this would defiantly make you lose your mind since you would have to pay up.
In addition to this, another thing that angered me was the first map pack released which cost another $15 and only gave you four new maps. This started to put a damper on my gaming experience since half the servers were cut off from me because I never decided to purchase the pack.
The final straw came with the radical redesign of the online half of the game which introduced expensive server rentals that took away the well moderated DICE servers and replaced them with luny non moderated ones. I literally couldn't play a regular match since friendly fire was always on and my own team mates would C4 me when I was actually trying to play seriously. If I got a jet, a team mate would be waiting at the AA gun and shoot me down as I'm taking off. No matter which public rental server I went on, the same thing would always happen. There were still DICE servers, but they always well hidden and even if you were able to find one amongst the rental servers, they always have long queue lines which were always filled with,"premium," players who were promised front of the line permission for coughing up a another one time fee of $60.
After a week of the revamp, I got rid of the game and swore never to buy another FPS or anything from DICE again.

This is why you don't buy realistic-themed FPS games. The purchasable ones suck, and will not be missed when the sequel comes out in less than two years later. ovO

With that said, I play Halo for the story. 8)
Could've been something great. But ya' blew it... Ya' blew it.

snarfgsnor

Quote from: Lary on 2012 Jun 24, 12:49:08
With that said, I play Halo for the story. 8)

this! the story is intresting, and i cant wait for the halo 4. new shinies! ovO better not disapoint me! :D

avatar made by TheMysteriousArtist,and stardust for the pictures in the signature. go check thoose artists out!!

Blues-Music

Actually most bad games are born when a company is bought lets take rareware for example with nintendo they made donkey kong country golden eye 007 banjo kazooie banjo tooie conkers bad fur day.Then it happened....Microsoft bought rareware.They started making the worst games after that.

Book Smarts

Quote from: Blues-Music on 2012 Jun 24, 13:03:23
Actually most bad games are born when a company is bought lets take rareware for example with nintendo they made donkey kong country golden eye 007 banjo kazooie banjo tooie conkers bad fur day.Then it happened....Microsoft bought rareware.They started making the worst games after that.

Same thing happened to when Blizzard was bought up by Activision  :l

sonyablademaster

I like games with a good story and a good background story. I'm always asking the what, when, where, and why of the story and don't care how the game looks

snarfgsnor

Quote from: Book Smarts on 2012 Jun 24, 13:05:07
Quote from: Blues-Music on 2012 Jun 24, 13:03:23

Same thing happened to when Blizzard was bought up by Activision  :l

activision loooooooves money. someone gotta feed them with diamonds at the breakfesat table you know.

Zygrograxgra

Most every game series I look at, to me at least.
Halo just got worse and worse after the first.
Call of Duty just got worse and worse.
Creatures 4 looks terrible.
Saw Myst 5, looks like crud.
...yeah lotsa games.
I think I'll stick with my early 2000's games for now.

Titanium Mushrooms
Are you happy yet?!

Ozzy

I am superstitious about the 4th game in a series, I never like them, Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Resident Evil 4, Silent Hill 4, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

And the list goes on...

Secret

I wish I could give my own opinions on the games you mentioned, but...

I played the old Legend of Zelda's but haven't played any of the newer ones after Wind Waker, the peak was Ocarina of Time though (imo).

I haven't even played Starfox 64 let alone this newer one you mentioned, one of the better games I missed apparently.

Banjo and Kazooie 1 was amazing, 2 was good but I feel like it wasn't AS good as the first one, haven't played the newer one you mentioned.

Played almost every single Sonic game since the early '90s, the last one I played was Sonic Unleashed (there is a few before this I didn't play though) but I only played it for a couple of hours. I really liked Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 (battle) and all of the older ones but sadly I don't think these types of games appeal to the larger audience these days.

---

Resident Evil is a good one I can relate to though, played it since it was first released in 1996 and it is probably my favourite game series.

The first one was amazing and had me terrified lol.

The second one was also really good.

The third one was perhaps my favourite due to unexpected attacks from Nemesis throughout the game.

(skipping the games between 3 and 4 here and sticking to the main numbered ones otherwise I'll be here all day)

Now the 4th... a lot of people consider this the 'peak' of the Resident Evil series but I consider it the downfall. I HATED the fact they took the survival 'horror' element out of the game (I could argue this point all day, it was gone in this game no matter what anyone says) and replaced 'zombies' with Las Plagas and a completely different story, it killed me to see my favourite game series take this turn. Good for an action game, but leaving their roots and jumping genres like that while taking a big name with them was extremely frustrating.

Resident Evil 5... I actually liked this game a lot for an 'action' game, but again it didn't have the survival horror element which Resident Evil was known for.

Resident Evil 6 promises to go back to its roots and give it back the survival horror element, but that isn't out until October I believe, so we'll see.

---

So yeah, I can see where you are coming from with this topic but it really does vary from series to series, but developers are far too focused on genres such as FPS these days, it really is sad to see such drastic changes in the gaming industry from back in the day.

Remedy

Quote from: Blues-Music on 2012 Jun 24, 11:11:45
Starfox adventures:I love starfox ,but this doesn't need talking what happened to starfox 64?The flying the shooting the barrel rolls!I wanted that instead of a basic beat em up game with its own language.Begining of the game:auay djoeil sjduey krazoa palace.

Oh, you just reminded me I have a half played game of Starfox Adventures awaiting me.
Playing this game back... And this time, without cheats... I've actually grown to appreciate it a lot more than I used to. I get a stick to hit things with and some nifty little puzzles. What more do you want from a game?

Quote from: Blues-Music on 2012 Jun 24, 11:11:45
Most sonic games:I say this a lot ,and I mean ALOT ,but sega had the best games ever thanks to sonic such as sonic 4 ,and sonic heroes ,but then they suddenly got drugged ,and made the sonic story book series which I am certain is just because they ran out of money to make actual cutscenes ,and they turned sonic into a werewolf WHY JUST WHY?!?!?What made them think it was a good idea to turn a fast hedge hog into a werewolf?WHY DID YOU GIVE UP AND TURN IT INTO A BEAT EM UP GAME?

If Sonic Heroes is your example of a good Sonic game... Then I have to tell you there's a lot more Sonic games out there that you've probably never even heard of.
That said, Sega seems to have ups and downs while annoying all of the fans simultaneously with each release. Though the fact they seem to be "Soul searching" with each release certainly does not help remedy the problem.

I personally don't like the idea of picking fault with game series as they progress... Though sometimes it is nicer to see games end in a blaze of glory. Gex for instance. Great games, but I haven't heard of any coming out for the modern platforms. Gex went out with style, and as much as I'd love to see a new Gex game, I'm happy that there's no bad sequels ruining everyone's memory of it.

I'd also like to see more gaming companies try something new. Surely that's better than listening to the sound of disappointed fans?

Go Up