Roleplay Assistance and Tips! Posts now allowed! Contributions to the thread too

Started by Teal Turken, 2012 Oct 18, 10:10:24

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Octavia

Quote from: Chirp on 2013 Dec 30, 15:52:39
If you want your posts to be more fancy whilst your character is saying a lot, you can use these words instead of "said":

Generally don't do this, unless in moderate amounts. The word 'said' is something that's just there to indicate speech. It's not supposed to stand out, unless it adds to the situation at hand. Sure, you can use words like 'yelled', or 'whispered', but again-- moderation is key. You don't want to distract from the rest of the post with these replacements. It'll only make them give less of an impact for when they do fit in the scene. Instead, make your characters stand out with what they do.

Basically, don't use words other than 'said' often, unless the situation really calls for it. You might want to use a word like 'yelled' when talking to someone across a cliff, for example, else it'd look silly, but otherwise, 'said' works most, if not all the time.

Oh-- Since we're on the topic of speaking, you might want to have your characters actually do something while they're talking, whether it be scratching their leg, or looking about. Have them interact with the environment around them. They're not just statues in an empty white room, after all. It's these little things that help make your posts stand out amongst the rest.

Chirp

Quote from: Octavia on 2014 Jan 02, 07:32:13

I suppose it's a personal thing. I don't quite like saying "said", but whatever. I guess I just wanted to share that your speech can differ. Ranging from yelling, to whispering, to inaudible mumbling, back to sarcastic and so on, so forth.

And you've made a good point. Not just should you yourself be doing things (we're alive afterall), but also interact with what others are doing, not just with what they're saying. If someone starts dancing, you might want to join in, feel awkward, or ignore it. Just think what you would do if you were your character in that situation.

Prismatic

One of the tips I can think of would be to put certain things in context.  For example an introduction may put in a setting and a character it doesn't necessarily put the character alongside the others in RP (for example meeting others one could add the required description to both write it towards the interaction as well as that I have a habit of forgetting a lot of stuff in RP).

Teal Turken

Added a new tip under "How to make your Post".
EDIT
Added another new tip under "How to make your Post".

LostSanity

I need RP's to participate in due to the major fallout I just had with another MLP:FiM forum who will not be named even though I kind of already named them in another thread.

Feel free to persuade me to join your RP...

Now!!

lol

Or don't... either way...

I still need a hug...

:(
[shadow=gray,left]I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT REIGNS[/shadow]

The Roman Reigns of the forum

Luminescence

Tip: Always try to make your first post really good. It helps set the scene of where you are, and possibly where you came from. Trying to start off on a meh-ish intro to why and how your OC is there, is very difficult, unless it is your point to seem vague.
Furthermore, try to lead your posts into peoples possible actions.
Spoiler: Example • show
"(Mysterious OC) walks to the hardware store." This is okay in respect of leading in others, but vague in its execution.
"(Mysterious OC) starts towards the hardware store, nodding at those who passed by." This is better to lead others in.

What do you think about this for a basic "Keep in Mind" Making a Post tip?
I believe the shape of happiness resembles glass. Even though, we don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there, we merely need to change our point of view slightly, and that glass will sparkle whenever it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else can argue its own existence so perfectly

GoldenTerrabyte

Another thing that has been said before that I feel I must say again. It kind of bugs me when someone just says "a hooded figure wanders through Ponyville" for a few reasons.

1. A hooded figure seems like it would be someone trying to hide themselves, as if they were untrustworthy. Nobody would really be approaching that pony.
2. It really just shows that you can't think of anything better to start with.
I'm back

Luminescence

Quote from: Yellowpikmin476 on 2014 Feb 04, 21:06:27
Another thing that has been said before that I feel I must say again. It kind of bugs me when someone just says "a hooded figure wanders through Ponyville" for a few reasons.

1. A hooded figure seems like it would be someone trying to hide themselves, as if they were untrustworthy. Nobody would really be approaching that pony.

As you said, it bothers me as well when something so quintessential to the start off of your part of RPing is just passively dealt with. Oh, and to add:
3. A hooded figure wouldn't generally be a common sight in most parts of Equestira. And when they did come, it shut things down(ie. Zecora (although it might be part to do with her being a zebra, but eh))
4. People trying to be sneaky (which is what is sometimes the reason for with the typical cloak method) would actually try to blend into the crowd quietly, not trying to separate themselves.
I believe the shape of happiness resembles glass. Even though, we don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there, we merely need to change our point of view slightly, and that glass will sparkle whenever it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else can argue its own existence so perfectly

Renatan

As soon as I read this, not minutes before I made a post introducing 3 new characters to my RP, one of them being hooded  :I

Forget my life  :c
Beware the writer. She will feed off everything you say and store it into her memory, so don't be surprised if a few years from now you open up a book and see something you said years ago there. I'm always watching ovO

Teal Turken

Quote from: Renatan on 2014 Feb 05, 22:21:49

As soon as I read this, not minutes before I made a post introducing 3 new characters to my RP, one of them being hooded  :I

Forget my life  :c

It's quite true that hooded figure posts are quite annoying. The posts that follow are pretty copy paste from any other time a hooded figure post is made.

This does NOT mean hooded figure posts can never be used. Lets say that in your previous RP session your character had done something to make them a wanted criminal. They wouldn't want to be seen then. Or maybe your character would be banded a freak if seen.

If you're going to make a hooded figure post, at least tell us who's under the cloak. It's more annoying to actually be interested in the mysterious hooded figure only to find out it's an OC we've seen before. Something like this;
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwing on a long cloak and covering his head with a hood to hide his identity, Teal walks through town heading for the store to get his friend a present.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This hooded figure post is good because you know exactly who is under the hood, but characters in the roleplay do not. Characters who know him might find his voice familiar. My character has reason to be hiding himself. Etc.

I don't think I really need to show an example of a bad hooded figure post.

Grizzly

Well i think the point of a hood on your character would actually attract attention rather than conceal it. On Teals note, yeah, if i would write a hooded char and it would turn out to be Blue poeple would be angry, cause she is pretty much known as she is my main OC XD. But, if it turned to be someone like Deraxis, whom i dont even have on my OC page yet (there is alot of characters i dont have there), who is a zebra shaman/necromancer, having him consield would make much more sence, even more so if i would use it to keep ponies away from him, he is more of an negative character X3
The most common accident is the one noone expects.

Teal Turken

Added a new section "Playground Roleplays" right below "Combat in Roleplay"

Renatan

Hmm, in my "hooded character" post, there was 3 ponies: two mares and a stallion. Only one of the mares wore a cloak and hood. The other two did not. These characters were characters made for that RP and that RP alone. It would be impossible to know them already. The post was to show a bit of background information about the current conflict (ponies races being changed). None of them are called by name in it, as I actually have not named them yet  X3 I will. Honest.

I'm not sure if that makes it a BAD hooded post or a GOOD one  o.O Oh roleplay, you so silly.
Beware the writer. She will feed off everything you say and store it into her memory, so don't be surprised if a few years from now you open up a book and see something you said years ago there. I'm always watching ovO

Teal Turken

Quote from: Renatan on 2014 Feb 08, 14:32:42
Hmm, in my "hooded character" post, there was 3 ponies: two mares and a stallion. Only one of the mares wore a cloak and hood. The other two did not. These characters were characters made for that RP and that RP alone. It would be impossible to know them already. The post was to show a bit of background information about the current conflict (ponies races being changed). None of them are called by name in it, as I actually have not named them yet  X3 I will. Honest.

I'm not sure if that makes it a BAD hooded post or a GOOD one  o.O Oh roleplay, you so silly.

I'll have to see the post to determine if it is. I can't assume anything yet.

Renatan

Quote from: Teal Turken on 2014 Feb 08, 15:07:15
Quote from: Renatan on 2014 Feb 08, 14:32:42

I'll have to see the post to determine if it is. I can't assume anything yet.

Daw, look at Tealy Wealy, always ready to help!  :3

It was this post:

Spoiler: show
The grey mare slammed a hoof onto the table, eyes glaring. "Look what you did! Do you realize what this has done?" she shrieked at the other pony across the table. The second pony, a mare cloaked in a robe sighed. "I know. I'll fix it. I'm sure it's not that bad!" she reasoned. "Besides, it's not like I changed Celestia's race or something. They're just a few commoners. Nopony will even notice before I fix it!"
"No, they've noticed! I've been watching them all! You messed up so many ponies in Ponyville!"
"Um, Ponyville. Right. Where is that again?"
The grey mare tossed a map across the table, hitting the spot marking the town. "Right here!" she snapped. "Now get a move on! Before you mess up things even more!"

"What's going on?" asked a third who had just entered, a stallion with a brown coat. The grey mare gestured to the cloaked figure. "Guess who botched things up for us? We'll never advance at this rate!" she hollered, stomping a hoof down onto the stone floor. Through the darkness of the cold, large room a pale yellow light could be seen as the stallion's horn lit up, picking up the map and examining it. He noticed a hoof mark on Ponyville. "Did something happen in Ponyville?" he asked, looking up at the hysteric mare. "You could say that to put it lightly." she grunted. The unicorn looked over to the cloaked pony. "If I know anything, I know that you're being sent there to reverse whatever has happened. I'm coming with you." he said. The mare seemed surprised, looking to the other mare. "Can he come?' she asked hopefully.
"Fine. Whatever. Take him with you. Take everypony you want; I don't care. Just get there and fix your stupid mistake so we can learn this the proper way and get closer to our goal!" she snapped before turning around, galloping up the spiraling stairs at the back of the room, leaving the mare and stallion alone.

"Well, let's get going." he sighed, turning to leave. The mare followed.

In case you're wondering, yes, it was meant to be vague  X3 Looking back on it I find it a bit awkward to read, but hey, we all have off days.

Teal Turken

I know this is a little late but;
This specific case, the hooded pony isn't be used in any cliche way possible. It's perfectly fine as it is.

Sweetstuff2258

This really helped thank you teal turken I will try to stay by these rules but......this might be weird but.........It says that I can't enter that pony creator thing it says "enter at your own risk" and then when I clicked it....It got blocked! :o :I o.O

Pipkin

That's odd, it redirecting from a yahoo search, but it didn't block for me

This is the link he was trying to post, hopefully he can fix it when he comes online.

http://generalzoi.deviantart.com/art/Pony-Creator-Full-Version-254295904

Elphyda

Quote from: LaptopBrony on 2015 Jan 20, 23:20:33
That's odd, it redirecting from a yahoo search, but it didn't block for me

This is the link he was trying to post, hopefully he can fix it when he comes online.

http://generalzoi.deviantart.com/art/Pony-Creator-Full-Version-254295904

More updated version here:
http://generalzoi.deviantart.com/art/Pony-Creator-v3-397808116

Vick McBread

I will most diffidently post here > : D. When I come back, I'll have some > : )
Vick McBread; the small orange pegasus stallion is BACK!
Steam: -CHA- Vick McBread
I do RPs. Here, and on steam.
I just wanna say "hello."

Go Up