A thread to help people be up to speed on LoE

Started by Chishio Kunrin, 2012 Apr 15, 01:04:58

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Rissian

2012 Oct 06, 05:34:04 #80 Last Edit: 2012 Oct 06, 05:37:07 by Trege
FFXI houses are stored on the FFXI server itself. All it stores is what items you have in your storage the placement of furniture you buy and what plants you have growing in your house. Because the room is already in each copy of FFXI it only needs object placement data X Y Z cords item storage and that's about it since the rest is built in the game itself. At least that's what I gather from playing the game for years. It probably has more variables than that but the data size can't amount to much at all since all objects are in the game itself already models and everything.

And any player can enter your house on FFXI if you allow them through the party menu.

Ründo

2012 Oct 06, 05:51:55 #81 Last Edit: 2012 Oct 06, 06:05:40 by Ründo
any form of housing would work like that, with the exception of requiring the players to be in a party.
hmmm, but that doesn't address any of the issues of house placement.

Over-all, if they use a back-end server to store the houses and simply load the ones that the currently logged players have access to, into the appropriate front-end(aka world) server; they would be able to minimize the amount of data usage in any one of their servers. It'll also be effective for players on the same front-server when visiting each other; since only the server they are communicating with has to manage and distribute the data multiple times. This could even be expounded further by temporarily storing house data client side, in-case players enter and exit the house frequently.  Meaning only altered data would have to be retransmitted.

I'm sure they'll think of something.

EDIT:

just realized in the case of split ownership, etc. or anything similar. if 2+ players using a house are on different world servers they would need to delegate management of the houses data to a master server. which could be any of the 3+ involved servers. in which case players would possibly be communicating with the master server, instead of the server they logged into.  But since they're isolated from the world in that case, it shouldn't case to many problems.
Currently: staring into space
Was: working on Tekner's MLP Minecraft Mod
Playing: Minecraft, Space Engineers, Cities: Skylines

Rissian

2012 Oct 06, 05:56:49 #82 Last Edit: 2012 Oct 06, 06:03:18 by Trege
By house placement do you mean the physical houses in the game world? Or data of the houses.

(Err, nevermind I'm getting too far off topic now.)

Ründo

Rissian

2012 Oct 06, 06:09:40 #84 Last Edit: 2012 Oct 06, 06:17:10 by Trege
An instanced house doesn't need placement in the game world all it requires is a zone changer that takes you to the house which is stored on the server for your character. That's what FFXI uses there is no house placement what so ever it's just a zone that takes you to a room that has data stored for your character that's separate from other zones in the game.  ^-^

Ründo

I know
Quote from: Ründo on 2012 Oct 06, 05:25:12
I get it...    ...Though that isn't much different than the player housing town idea, in such a case.

I think the biggest concern is weather or not the servers can handle the extra data;  and if it's worth the effort to implement.
from what I know of computers today; data capacity isn't an issue, so much as if the housing will have an impact on CPU and bandwidth usage.  As for, is it worth implementing, you decide:
Quote from: Ründo on 2012 Oct 06, 05:11:42
The biggest advantage of having a house is for displaying stuff like trophies/rewards.  It would also have the potential to provide benefits to stuff like crafting; such that players wouldn't have to run around the world/town to make various things.  Also It could benefit the players from a RP perspective since it'll allow private meetings, and home related activities.

Rissian

2012 Oct 06, 06:19:24 #86 Last Edit: 2012 Oct 06, 06:21:17 by Trege
That could be where client side things come in, like you said earlier have the server send the data once then store it client side unless something is changed. Although storing things client side can often lead to exploits which is bad.

But yeah it's up to the team to decide anyways, speculation is fun though.

Ründo

true.  but smart programmers would have it so the client sends changes, and has the server double check. then redistribute valid changes to all players currently inside the house. Also, when a player re-enters a house that has had changes to it; they get updates on the changed parts. (like player positions, furniture in the rooms, etc.)

Weatherboy1

Well I would like homes to be added but I understand if they can't be

SweBow

I can shoot you all right now.

Housing isn't something we're planning to do. If we add it, it's going to be a late feature.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: SweBow on 2012 Oct 06, 09:53:56
I can shoot you all right now.

Housing isn't something we're planning to do. If we add it, it's going to be a late feature.

I noticed last night that people were discussing ways to implement houses, and I added to the first post that housing is low priority and if the team does decide to consider adding them, it'll be late in development. X3

So, guys, perhaps we should hold the discussion of how to work houses into the game until much later on, if the devs say they're considering it.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Chelicera

Player houses
Another thing I've seen mentioned that I'm also eager about is player houses. "It would be great if all those houses in Ponyville had more of a purpose than decoration!" I asked the devs about player houses back on the EO Suggestions forum. All I got was a big maybe. The thing is, if (big if) they do decide to let us have houses, it'll most likely be pretty much just house interiors. Actual houses that physically occupy space on a map would easily take up server space, plus the fact that there will likely be many, many players who will get houses.

• The design team is leaning much more toward no because it would be too hard. So it's pretty much a no. However, Tekner has said that he has been trying to push for a player houses or player-owned buildings system. It's still a huge maybe.

I'm aware of the people who posted suggestion for player housing and Chishio Kunrin's recent post about holding the discussions about it but let me just say my thoughts here at least once in a simple manner. Firstly, it would really be efficient to use Trege's suggestion of having a warp for houses so the interior wouldn't really occupy any part of the map. In fact, this is the solution of most online games and may only be the logical way over crowded masses in mmorpgs. Secondly and the last, if we want to live in equestrian landmarks, which I assume as people's preference over having a new area for player housing, we are left with no other choice but to have multiple players per house. To answer the problem of houses becoming overly occupied, I'll follow with one of Ründo's solution of having a virtually unlimited space in capacity. I do believe it is possible though programming solution for this might be complex and the size it holds is tremendous. Let me illustrate it. A player can choose his/her house in the map and that particular house has a code. Wherein the code holds the House ID which includes the place(eg. Ponyville) the street and the name of the house(named by moderators). Inside each house has its multiple directories, much like when choosing a server. After choosing a "server"(in relation to the topic housing), you can search for the uniquely named house by the player and then TADA! Objective complete. The "servers" cannot be chosen by the players but it acts as a module of balancing so unexpected overload will not occur. Of course as I mentioned earlier, after entering "servers" there comes the customizable house names. To sum it up: House Code for the real structure in the map and the House Directory for a systematic player address. Customization is good to represent each others' style so fixed furniture/house decoration is a no-no for me. Multiple houses is nice but there should be a limitation, of course. I find this idea quite decent and I would really love this to be implemented.

Additional Notes: It might pose a problem if some houses are being  D:"unpopular" DD: so it would be nice to add lively environments and activities around all areas in all places and if isn't that much possible anymore, just make something uniquely attractive(like a house floating at a river plus a nearby waterfall or a place with good perspective within your house' reach) or a some kind of promotion so every houses receive mixed appreciation. The thing about housing in online games might be absurd for some but for semi-obsessive mmorpg players like me who feels the character's world as theirs, how nice it is to have a shelter in a paradise of you wildest dreams~  ;)

Tekner

2012 Oct 08, 10:36:01 #92 Last Edit: 2012 Oct 08, 10:37:36 by Tekner
Quote from: Chelicera on 2012 Oct 08, 08:58:04
Spoiler: show
Player houses
Another thing I've seen mentioned that I'm also eager about is player houses. "It would be great if all those houses in Ponyville had more of a purpose than decoration!" I asked the devs about player houses back on the EO Suggestions forum. All I got was a big maybe. The thing is, if (big if) they do decide to let us have houses, it'll most likely be pretty much just house interiors. Actual houses that physically occupy space on a map would easily take up server space, plus the fact that there will likely be many, many players who will get houses.

• The design team is leaning much more toward no because it would be too hard. So it's pretty much a no. However, Tekner has said that he has been trying to push for a player houses or player-owned buildings system. It's still a huge maybe.

I'm aware of the people who posted suggestion for player housing and Chishio Kunrin's recent post about holding the discussions about it but let me just say my thoughts here at least once in a simple manner. Firstly, it would really be efficient to use Trege's suggestion of having a warp for houses so the interior wouldn't really occupy any part of the map. In fact, this is the solution of most online games and may only be the logical way over crowded masses in mmorpgs. Secondly and the last, if we want to live in equestrian landmarks, which I assume as people's preference over having a new area for player housing, we are left with no other choice but to have multiple players per house. To answer the problem of houses becoming overly occupied, I'll follow with one of Ründo's solution of having a virtually unlimited space in capacity. I do believe it is possible though programming solution for this might be complex and the size it holds is tremendous. Let me illustrate it. A player can choose his/her house in the map and that particular house has a code. Wherein the code holds the House ID which includes the place(eg. Ponyville) the street and the name of the house(named by moderators). Inside each house has its multiple directories, much like when choosing a server. After choosing a "server"(in relation to the topic housing), you can search for the uniquely named house by the player and then TADA! Objective complete. The "servers" cannot be chosen by the players but it acts as a module of balancing so unexpected overload will not occur. Of course as I mentioned earlier, after entering "servers" there comes the customizable house names. To sum it up: House Code for the real structure in the map and the House Directory for a systematic player address. Customization is good to represent each others' style so fixed furniture/house decoration is a no-no for me. Multiple houses is nice but there should be a limitation, of course. I find this idea quite decent and I would really love this to be implemented.

Additional Notes: It might pose a problem if some houses are being  D:"unpopular" DD: so it would be nice to add lively environments and activities around all areas in all places and if isn't that much possible anymore, just make something uniquely attractive(like a house floating at a river plus a nearby waterfall or a place with good perspective within your house' reach) or a some kind of promotion so every houses receive mixed appreciation. The thing about housing in online games might be absurd for some but for semi-obsessive mmorpg players like me who feels the character's world as theirs, how nice it is to have a shelter in a paradise of you wildest dreams~  ;)

We're very aware of the many strategies to implement this kind of feature, but that still doesn't lessen the workload it'd impose on us that would only detract from developing everything else even more vital to the game. Right now it's a big maybe because we need to focus on so many other things first and there are a lot of variables to consider beyond what many of you realize, solely from a technical aspect of things. As much as I appreciate your enthusiasm, I'm going to ask you all to drop it and continue using this thread as it was originally intended to be used. If you feel the need to discuss player housing from a contemplative perspective, feel free to make a thread about it.Thank you, Chishio.

We'll let you all know if/when we decide to add such a feature in the future.

Weremetalwolf

There will be the possibility that individual pony can create unique clothes and accessories? for example, a unique accessory that can create only one who is a certain guild. ((I'm not sure this goes here))
<br />My channel<br />My DA<br /><br />

ShadowHeart

2012 Nov 29, 10:08:06 #94 Last Edit: 2012 Nov 29, 10:09:55 by ShadowHeart
I watched the livestream and it looks like u go to the well to place the new mini game

and this looks like they got some new thing at the top center of the screen. Not sure wut it is......
and if u watch the vid where this came from then it shows an updated canterlot

Join the changeling herd, or she'll devour your love!

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: ShadowHeart on 2012 Nov 29, 10:08:06
I watched the livestream and it looks like u go to the well to place the new mini game
Spoiler: show

and this looks like they got some new thing at the top center of the screen. Not sure wut it is......
and if u watch the vid where this came from then it shows an updated canterlot

I mega zoomed in, and it looks like the red and blue on either side of that circle up there is a health bar and an energy bar. That's an interesting way to put the HP and energy bars in the HUD.

ShadowHeart

...but i wonder what's in the center of the two bars

Chishio Kunrin

I have no idea. That couldn't possibly be for exp with the scroll displaying your level. Could it? That's actually probably not it, but I'm not sure what else to guess.

lurk852

Well, in a lot of modern MMOs, your character's face would go there...
"The passions are, and ought only to be the slave of reason." - David Hume

ShadowHeart

Go Up