A thread to help people be up to speed on LoE

Started by Chishio Kunrin, 2012 Apr 15, 01:04:58

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Blues-Music

Quote from: Tagmannn on 2012 Jul 09, 18:19:13
I know that the we cant use the characters from the show as NPCs, but will they allow us to create them via character creation and use them in-game?

You will be able to make similiar looking characters ,but no you can't create them they also will not be NPCs

Chishio Kunrin

I know that we cant use the characters from the show as NPCs, but will they allow us to create them via character creation and use them in-game?

You'll be able to make your character look similar, but they're likely going to have a filter on the character naming box so that you can't name them after characters from the show. For example, if you type "Fluttershy" into the box, it's not going to let you name your pony that.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

lurk852

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Jul 09, 19:22:01
I know that we cant use the characters from the show as NPCs, but will they allow us to create them via character creation and use them in-game?

You'll be able to make your character look similar, but they're likely going to have a filter on the character naming box so that you can't name them after characters from the show. For example, if you type "Fluttershy" into the box, it's not going to let you name your pony that.

I just hope we don't have tons of ponies running around with names like "Fluttërshy" and "Xtwilightxsparklexx".  :x

Maybe I should have higher expectations for this community, though.
"The passions are, and ought only to be the slave of reason." - David Hume

Crystal Chaos

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: lurk852 on 2012 Jul 09, 19:28:24
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Jul 09, 19:22:01

I just hope we don't have tons of ponies running around with names like "Fluttërshy" and "Xtwilightxsparklexx".  :x

Maybe I should have higher expectations for this community, though.

At first, I wondered "Why do that?" but then I realized how many people here already have the names of show characters. Then, I thought about how many people on chatrooms I've been to would all log on as anime characters to where there'd be multiple people of each character. Oh, I thought, People logging on as their favorite character is inevitable. People do that all the time.

Weatherboy1

If anyone has questions Please respond below this comment!

Handledrobin

Hey i've been having issues, the game wont let me sign in. everytime i try it says I dont have games access.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Handledrobin on 2012 Oct 03, 17:58:51
Hey i've been having issues, the game wont let me sign in. everytime i try it says I dont have games access.

It's because the stress test is over. We were only allowed to play September 28-30, just to help them test the servers.

Little Judas

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Oct 03, 18:01:40

It's because the stress test is over. We were only allowed to play September 28-30, just to help them test the servers.

Yeah, playing the Pre-Alpha is so last-week, no-one plays it any more.
Thanks to Julius for my OC. (see the avatar)

Let it fly in the breeze and get caught in the trees, Give a home to the fleas, in my hair
A home for fleas, a hive for the buzzing bees, A nest for birds, there ain't no words
For the beauty, splendor, the wonder of my hair

Weatherboy1

The Pre-Alpha Stress test is over, So you can't access it.

Tekner

Even before the stress test was over, I modified the servers to disallow all characters except for letters and spaces when making a name. Therefore It's not possible to spoof names with latin-accented characters, and yes the name filter blocks all the swears that the chat filter blocks as well as reserved names both canon and from our storyline.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Tekner on 2012 Oct 04, 02:48:49
Even before the stress test was over, I modified the servers to disallow all characters except for letters and spaces when making a name. Therefore It's not possible to spoof names with latin-accented characters, and yes the name filter blocks all the swears that the chat filter blocks as well as reserved names both canon and from our storyline.

Characters from your storyline? Very smart. I didn't think about that! I guess it would be pretty awkward if someone named their pony the same as one of the NPCs.

Ründo

2012 Oct 05, 18:45:00 #72 Last Edit: 2012 Oct 05, 18:48:36 by Ründo
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Apr 15, 01:04:58
Player houses
Another thing I've seen mentioned that I'm also eager about is player houses. "It would be great if all those houses in Ponyville had more of a purpose than decoration!" I asked the devs about player houses back on the EO Suggestions forum. All I got was a big maybe. The thing is, if (big if) they do decide to let us have houses, it'll most likely be pretty much just house interiors. Actual houses that physically occupy space on a map would easily take up server space, plus the fact that there will likely be many, many players who will get houses.

• The design team is leaning much more toward no because it would be too hard. So it's pretty much a no. However, Tekner has said that he has been trying to push for a player houses or player-owned buildings system. It's still a huge maybe.

Spoiler: Tekner's quote on the matter • show
[quote author=Tekner link=topic=3292.msg236128#msg236128 date=1341335747]
At this time, there are no plans to add player housing or owned buildings. Personally, I am pushing for such a system to be implemented (and it may be if I, or another programmer, finds a simple and efficient way to go about doing it. Don't assume that means it will be added, though.)
[/spoiler]
[/quote]

have they figured it out yet. My guess is that the most efficient method involves a back-end server to handle all custom data. that way you only have to load active data into the front-end servers, freeing up needed memory.  Though I'm guessing the real problem might lie in world placement.

Edit:

maybe you could implement apartments or something.
Currently: staring into space
Was: working on Tekner's MLP Minecraft Mod
Playing: Minecraft, Space Engineers, Cities: Skylines

Rissian

2012 Oct 05, 19:55:23 #73 Last Edit: 2012 Oct 05, 19:59:01 by Trege
If they are worried about data and world storage using an instanced room would work for houses, if they ever decided to change their minds on it. The instances would only need variables from that point on that the server could store in maybe a house file for each registered player. FFXI has you walk into a zone changer that looks like tons of houses are in the background but then takes you instantly to an instanced room that players in your party can see kind of like Guild Wars 1 partying.

Since all of the objects are in the game data itself models etc. You could just store location data of objects the player wants in the house on the server. Now if you had a million or so players I could see data storage adding up. Lets say if by some miracle housing was added and each player house only stores 1MB of data. then 1000 players would only be 1GB of data the server would have to have on it's HDD. and nowadays you can get 500GB HDDs for pretty cheap prices usually.

I'm not sure how much RAM and CPU would affect housing as the data could be so small that it doesn't add up to much, there's also networking to look at too though.

(Now I could be horribly wrong on all of this as I've only handled home servers for Minecraft and a few other games.)

Weatherboy1

Quote from: Trege on 2012 Oct 05, 19:55:23
If they are worried about data and world storage using an instanced room would work for houses, if they ever decided to change their minds on it. The instances would only need variables from that point on that the server could store in maybe a house file for each registered player. FFXI has you walk into a zone changer that looks like tons of houses are in the background but then takes you instantly to an instanced room that players in your party can see kind of like Guild Wars 1 partying.

Since all of the objects are in the game data itself models etc. You could just store location data of objects the player wants in the house on the server. Now if you had a million or so players I could see data storage adding up. Lets say if by some miracle housing was added and each player house only stores 1MB of data. then 1000 players would only be 1GB of data the server would have to have on it's HDD. and nowadays you can get 500GB HDDs for pretty cheap prices usually.

I'm not sure how much RAM and CPU would affect housing as the data could be so small that it doesn't add up to much, there's also networking to look at too though.

(Now I could be horribly wrong on all of this as I've only handled home servers for Minecraft and a few other games.)

I have a good idea of what you are saying... But the only way it would work is if other people couldn't access the house, and like you said. The House is "Downloaded" onto our hard-drives

Tekner

There are a lot of variables, programmatically and not, that go into such a feature. The first is how to best optimize the save data. Do we save objects by position, type, and other data, or should we give houses set things to have (couch, counter, a few pre-positioned paintings, etc), so all we'd have to store is which "slot" that thing is, and what the model is. Aside from how we go about saving the data, I'm surprised no one has brought this up yet: Even if we allowed all those currently unused houses to be owned by players, what happens when all the houses have been occupied? Do we allow a house to be technically owned by multiple players? Do we block them out? Does it get rented out by the first owner? There's so much more that goes into this than you realize. The other thing is, what would the true point of a house even be? There has to be more of a reason than "I want a house because it would be cool" if we're going to implement it, unless we have literally nothing else to do.

Perteks

What about this idea.
Only guilds/herds can rent house, in each city only few houses (smaller city= smaller houses/price) and of course if didn't payed rent house will be free to rent again.
Ignore my grammar or PM me with correct version (it will help me to learn)

Ründo

2012 Oct 06, 05:11:42 #77 Last Edit: 2012 Oct 06, 05:15:21 by Ründo
Quote from: Tekner on 2012 Oct 06, 04:36:29
There are a lot of variables, programmatically and not, that go into such a feature. The first is how to best optimize the save data. Do we save objects by position, type, and other data, or should we give houses set things to have (couch, counter, a few pre-positioned paintings, etc), so all we'd have to store is which "slot" that thing is, and what the model is. Aside from how we go about saving the data, I'm surprised no one has brought this up yet: Even if we allowed all those currently unused houses to be owned by players, what happens when all the houses have been occupied? Do we allow a house to be technically owned by multiple players? Do we block them out? Does it get rented out by the first owner? There's so much more that goes into this than you realize. The other thing is, what would the true point of a house even be? There has to be more of a reason than "I want a house because it would be cool" if we're going to implement it, unless we have literally nothing else to do.

The biggest advantage of having a house is for displaying stuff like trophies/rewards.  It would also have the potential to provide benefits to stuff like crafting; such that players wouldn't have to run around the world/town to make various things.  Also It could benefit the players from a RP perspective since it'll allow private meetings, and home related activities.

Though yes there is a concern about the amount of in-town houses. but There are various solutions to this.

• You could make it so that some structures like apartments, are mysteriously infinite in capacity

• you could, as you suggested, make it so more than one player could 'own' a house (though this would be a bit strange)

• lastly you could make a completely new area for player housing. to which you could add all sorts of things to make navigating and getting around easier

Rissian

I was mainly speaking of instanced houses not houses placed in the world itself. FFXI houses are created when player data is created. And because it's instanced there's no game world limitation. I'm not sure how to describe it. But in FFXI you enter a zone and the zone you goto is an instance of your house. Something other players can't even see basically unless they were in your party and the server sent them to the same instance.

&feature=player_detailpage#t=106s

The best example I could find was this. The player entered the house and it warped them to a new zone only they can see unless they invited others to the same zone using the party system.

FFXI did have advantages to using the houses as they improved crafting and other things but yeah it's kind of pointless to have houses unless they have some use other then looking cool.

(This is probably off topic now though.  :s  )

Ründo

I get it.  That's an interesting method but, what if players want the option of sharing a house. Then, the game data would still have to be held on a server.  Though that isn't much different than the player housing town idea, in such a case.

Go Up