Cast Voices & Singing Voices

Started by Morphius, 2014 Oct 18, 17:08:34

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Morphius

Is there a post already containing what I mentioned (or video of con), or is this a first?

Okay, I would like to get this out of the way/ have people figure this:

Why is it that we have Tara Strong as Twilight Sparkle but not able to sing by herself, I mean seriously, don't you even see how well she sung back then (Melody from The Little Mermaid II/ Timmy from Fairly Odd Parents, etc.)? What about Tabitha St. Germain? Doesn't she sing by herself (like in MLP:G3, & -- uh, well there's gotta be some sining roles she did back then...). What about Sweetie Belle? I may think Michelle Creber did good as sining voice, but I first thought "99 Buckets of Oats" was sung by Claire Corlett, butthat was also Michelle. Why with these substitutional singing voices.

Kazumi Evans as Adagio (same Singing Voice as Rarity & Princess Luna)
Rebecca Shoichett as Sunset Shimmer (same singing Voice as Twilight Sparkle)
Which of the Mane 6's voice actresses will be used next for future villains?

If you ask me, it felt almost disturbing at first. Well, now it almost feels annoying if I don't speak my mind sooner. Oh, "Prepared for This Part I", shifts from Rebecca to Tara & back, or even that one scrapped song from Rainbow Rocks when Twilight was singing horribly in the barn, couldn't that at least have been Tara? But alas.

Probably that more actors & actresses wish to be recognized, or that some are shy to sing or can't sing to begin with. Or even how Hasbro runs it's staff on how to handle the money...

So what's with these different voice & singing actors.I await your replies...

Tiger

Actually, Claire became Sweetie Belle's singing voice in "Hearts Strong as Horses".

A link to my tumblr above!
Tiger's OC page. Should re-do it...

GreenTab

I did myself the same question but then i remembered... I can't even recognize my mom's voice on the phone

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: GreenTab on 2014 Oct 18, 22:11:33
I did myself the same question but then i remembered... I can't even recognize my mom's voice on the phone

I can't recognize my own voice, when it's played back to me.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2014 Oct 18, 22:15:00
Quote from: GreenTab on 2014 Oct 18, 22:11:33

I can't recognize my own voice, when it's played back to me.

SAME!
Apparently, the way our voice passes through our skull to our ears being different from the way it passes through the air into other people's ears is what makes it sound different. That could, of course, be totally made up and wrong, but that's what I was told. It sounds like a plausible explanation, especially since I know from experience (read: Putting a pair of headphones on the sides of my head and turning music up to full blast) that sound can travel through your skull to your ears.

But thaaaat'ssss wayyyyyy off-topic.

Maybe the reason Tara isn't Twilight's singing voice is because she does better at a different pitch that doesn't sound as much like Twilight's singing voice or something. Meh, I dunno.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Mizuki

iirc, it all has to do with location, not talent or anything like that.

Tera Strong lives in LA but a lot of the show's recording is done in Canada. (Or maybe it's the other way around? Feel free to correct me 'cause I'm too lazy to look it up) So for Tera to keep having to make the trip every single time they needed her to record a song...realistically, it wasn't gonna happen.

I believe Tera records her normal lines either at home or at the studio closest to her location, but Song-type of recordings need to be done physically in person so that everyone can harmonize together.

I could be totally wrong about this though, but I'm pretty sure that's the reason behind it.

Also characters sharing voice actors isn't new, and having a different actor do the singing is a practice that's pretty old. Remember The Nightmare Before Christmas? Danny Elfman was the one who did his singing bits, where as Chris Sarandon played him the rest of the time.

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

Go Up