I have a shoe box

Started by Tiger, 2012 Oct 19, 01:59:07

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Princess_Luna

save it! then when the zombie apocolups starts you can eat it... or keep a small zombie in it
Rub some bacon on it.

The Wandering Magus

...use it as a miniature landscape? x3
(sorry Bakasan, chose this image)
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636
my art: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=298
visiting soldier sister, be back 8/12/2013

ChocolateRain

Quote from: lurk852 on 2012 Oct 20, 14:32:22
Okay, fine!

Assuming box width = about 20 cm (not length) = 0.2 m
Carbon atom radius = 77.2 pm (assuming carbon's the biggest common atom in there) -> diameter = 144.4 pm = 144.4 * 10^-12 m

Box width / atom diameter ~= 1.38 * 10^9

Log base 2 of that thing > 30

Therefore, you could divide the boxes 30 times and still have boxes larger than an atom. This means that you could have a total of 2^30 boxes = over a billion boxes. Still pretty impressive.

Yeah... One can do lot's of fancy stuff with that many boxes... :) E. g. building amazing sculptures... Like a mole. Guess this would take a mole of boxes. lol

All work and no candy makes Choco a dull colt!
deviantArt

Princess_Luna

Okay, fine!

Carbon atom radius = 77.2 pm (assuming carbon's the biggest common atom in there) -> diameter = 144.4 pm = 144.4 * 10^-12 m

Therefore, you could divide the boxes 30 times and still have boxes larger than an atom. This means that you could have a total of 2^30 boxes = over a billion boxes. Still pretty impressive.

i wish i knew what your talking about becuse it sounds intresting.... can you maybe dumb it down for me? say... 7th grade level, 'cuse i do wish to know what that is. :D
Rub some bacon on it.

Tiger

I GOT ANOTHER SHOE BOX!!

*da da da daaaaaaaa*

:D

A link to my tumblr above!
Tiger's OC page. Should re-do it...

lurk852

Quote from: ChocolateRain on 2012 Oct 20, 16:01:10
Yeah... One can do lot's of fancy stuff with that many boxes... :) E. g. building amazing sculptures... Like a mole. Guess this would take a mole of boxes. lol

Avogadro's Boxes.  :]

Quote from: Princess_Luna on 2012 Oct 20, 22:19:38
Okay, fine!

i wish i knew what your talking about becuse it sounds intresting.... can you maybe dumb it down for me? say... 7th grade level, 'cuse i do wish to know what that is. :D

Sure - so I'm assuming that any time you have a shoebox, you can trade it away for two shoeboxes, each of which is half as large. So let's say you start with a normal-sized box, then you trade it and get two half-sized boxes - then you can trade each of those, so you end up with four quarter-sized boxes.

If you're not familiar with exponents, 2^(number) = multiply 2 by 2, and then by 2 again, etc. until you've done it (number) times. So:
2^2 = 2*2 = 4
2^3 = 2*2*2 = 8
2^4 = 2*2*2*2 = 16 etc.
Then you have logarithms, which are just reversed exponents; saying "log 16 = 4" means you have to divide 16 four times to get 2.

The number of boxes you have after (number) trades is just 2^(number), and the boxes you get are 2^(number) times smaller. Basically, I'm just seeing how many times I can divide the original shoebox's size by 2, without getting smaller than an atom. I used logarithms to find out how many times you can divide your boxes before they get too small, which is 30. So after 30 trades and divides, you have 2^30 tiny boxes, which is about a billion.

Quote from: Tiger on 2012 Oct 21, 00:25:57
I GOT ANOTHER SHOE BOX!!

*da da da daaaaaaaa*

O:

TWO BILLION
"The passions are, and ought only to be the slave of reason." - David Hume

The Wandering Magus

2012 Oct 21, 00:48:26 #46 Last Edit: 2012 Oct 21, 00:51:34 by The Wandering Magus
Okay, fine!

atoms = tiny particles that make up everything

box width about 20 centimeters = about 1/5 of a meter

assume the box's atoms are about 144 2/5 picometers (that's one trillionth of a meter- very small!) in diameter (largest length of a sphere)

so the width of the box divided by the diameter is about 1.39 billion atoms across!

how many times do you have to multiply by two to get that number if you start with two?  over thirty times!

Therefore, you could divide the boxes 30 times and still have boxes larger than an atom!  that's over a billion boxes!
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636

lurk852

Quote from: The Wandering Magus on 2012 Oct 21, 00:48:26
Okay, fine!

atoms = tiny particles that make up everything

box width about 20 centimeters = about 1/5 of a meter

assume the box's atoms are about 144 2/5 picometers (that's one trillionth of a meter- very small!) in diameter (largest length of a sphere)

so the width of the box divided by the diameter is about 1.39 billion atoms across!

how many times do you have to multiply by two to get that number if you start with two?  over thirty times!

Therefore, you could divide the boxes 30 times and still have boxes larger than an atom!  that's over a billion boxes!

"...And that's terrible."

Spoiler: show

ChocolateRain

Quote from: Tiger on 2012 Oct 21, 00:25:57
I GOT ANOTHER SHOE BOX!!

*da da da daaaaaaaa*

OMG OMG OMG :3

That's amazing! Now I want a box too... Wait... I've got some boxes around. :3

deviantArt

Flamestriker

I've got about 12.  ovO
[move][/move]

Princess_Luna

Quote from: lurk852 on 2012 Oct 21, 00:35:47

Okay, fine!

Sure - so I'm assuming that any time you have a shoebox, you can trade it away for two shoeboxes, each of which is half as large. So let's say you start with a normal-sized box, then you trade it and get two half-sized boxes - then you can trade each of those, so you end up with four quarter-sized boxes.

If you're not familiar with exponents, 2^(number) = multiply 2 by 2, and then by 2 again, etc. until you've done it (number) times. So:
2^2 = 2*2 = 4
2^3 = 2*2*2 = 8
2^4 = 2*2*2*2 = 16 etc.
Then you have logarithms, which are just reversed exponents; saying "log 16 = 4" means you have to divide 16 four times to get 2.

The number of boxes you have after (number) trades is just 2^(number), and the boxes you get are 2^(number) times smaller. Basically, I'm just seeing how many times I can divide the original shoebox's size by 2, without getting smaller than an atom. I used logarithms to find out how many times you can divide your boxes before they get too small, which is 30. So after 30 trades and divides, you have 2^30 tiny boxes, which is about a billion.

ok thank you for clearing that up :D
Rub some bacon on it.

Vertigo

... can you maybe dumb it down for me? say... 7th grade level, 'cuse i do wish to know what that is. :D
[/quote]
Are you calling me dumb?  >:( >:(

Princess_Luna

no... i just did not understand it, irl im in 7th grade so i dont know much about math. why would you think the question had to do with you or somepony else being dumb?
Rub some bacon on it.

The Wandering Magus

misunderstandings, I'm sure, correct, Vertigo?  I'm sure McSleuth can come over if you REALLY need serious clarification, but of course everything's settled now.

Back on topic!

ChocolateRain

Quote from: The Wandering Magus on 2012 Oct 21, 17:15:42
Back on topic!

I've made a gift today and didn't put it into a shoe box but in a plastic bag... Does that make me a bad pony? :s

deviantArt

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: ChocolateRain on 2012 Oct 21, 17:22:22
Quote from: The Wandering Magus on 2012 Oct 21, 17:15:42
Back on topic!

I've made a gift today and didn't put it into a shoe box but in a plastic bag... Does that make me a bad pony? :s
you're an awesome pony for giving a gift! ^-^

Tiger

Quote from: Vertigo on 2012 Oct 21, 14:27:13
... can you maybe dumb it down for me? say... 7th grade level, 'cuse i do wish to know what that is. :D

Are you calling me dumb?  >:(
[/quote]
*removed the extra smiley*
... She wasn't even talking to you at all! How did you even come to such a conclusion!?

Anyway, lately I've been using my two boxes as a box table covered with my cheetah-print blanket (no real fur/skin used) to make a cheetah box table on my bed ovO

But, any ideas, still?

lurk852

If you have a guinea pig, you could cut a door in it and give it to your pig as a combination house/snack. Guinea pigs love shoeboxes  :]

...but you probably don't.  :c

Tiger

Nope, I don't. No pets here  :c
That's a cute idea though.

Book Smarts

Make it into a pair of shoes  lol

Go Up