Why Derpy?

Started by Lightning Wing, 2013 Feb 11, 21:54:06

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Lightning Wing

Okay I am so lost with whats going on with Derpy.  Why was that one episode censored?  How did this all start? :P

Chishio Kunrin

2013 Feb 11, 22:18:06 #1 Last Edit: 2013 Feb 11, 22:21:24 by Chishio Kunrin
Someone contacted Hasbro or something, saying that they felt that Derpy was a little offensive in the way she was talking and acting. Hasbro panicked and went into "Please don't sue us" mode. As far as the show is concerned, they're still in that mode. As far as merchandise? "Bronies love Derpy so much, they'll buy anything of her!"

They're right, though. X3 The limited edition Derpy toys they sold around the time of Comic Con sold out extremely fast. The moment Hot Topic started selling Derpy toys, they ended up sold out quickly and repeatedly. I had to order mine from Amazon because they get sold out from Hot Topic's website too much. And I'm looking forward to buying the brushable Derpy and the Derpy messenger bag.

So much Derpy. They'll be getting so much of my money. lol So, we're lucky that Derpy is so profitable for them.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Lightning Wing

Okay who is the person who complained?  I mean no one ever complained about patrick from spongebop squarepants.  No one complained about Ed from Ed, Edd, and Eddy.  Why complain about a background character that gets one episode to shine only to be censored.

Gracie Sky

I think it's a little different with shows that are supposed to be... off.

Anyways, I think the issue was that Rainbow Dash called a pony "Derpy" in a rather... upset manner, which I guess is like profanity to some parents. In the context many parents probably interpreted the word, I don't even think shows like Ed, Edd, and Eddy call other people by such names.

Now, if they stuck to what the pony was actually named and Rainbow Dash said "Careful, Ditzy!", none of this would be happening. That's just my speculation.
Character Critique Thread

Have your OC fairly and honestly evaluated!

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Gracie Sky on 2013 Feb 11, 22:48:00
I think it's a little different with shows that are supposed to be... off.

Anyways, I think the issue was that Rainbow Dash called a pony "Derpy" in a rather... upset manner, which I guess is like profanity to some parents. In the context many parents probably interpreted the word, I don't even think shows like Ed, Edd, and Eddy call other people by such names.

Now, if they stuck to what the pony was actually named and Rainbow Dash said "Careful, Ditzy!", none of this would be happening. That's just my speculation.

But "Ditzy" has a connotation attached to it, as well.
Quoteditzy
also ditsy, "stupid, scatterbrained" (esp. of women)

People would've taken it as Dashie calling her a stupid, scatterbrained dumb-blonde.

Besides, I never took "Ditzy Doo" as being her actual name. I noticed that Derpy is right there helping during the Winter Wrap Up song, but the ponies said that Ditzy Doo flew north to get the birds.

Stardust Dragon

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2013 Feb 11, 23:07:55
Besides, I never took "Ditzy Doo" as being her actual name. I noticed that Derpy is right there helping during the Winter Wrap Up song, but the ponies said that Ditzy Doo flew north to get the birds.

I think at that time, the Derpy we know was a different character than the mentioned Ditzy Doo.  My understanding is that episode was already set to run before the Brony community exploded with Derpy, so she got no other cross-eyed scenes until "Feeling Pinkie Keen", when the animators had the time to add her into the episode. 

In terms of fanon, I think both names are used differently: for instance, in Doctor Whooves and Assistant, Ditzy is her real name, but the Doctor takes up the nickname Derpy that she was given by other ponies because he likes it better. 

Quote from: Lightning Wing on 2013 Feb 11, 22:28:00
Okay who is the person who complained?  I mean no one ever complained about patrick from spongebop squarepants.  No one complained about Ed from Ed, Edd, and Eddy.  Why complain about a background character that gets one episode to shine only to be censored.

I've wondered the same thing, really.  It mystifies me that Spongebob can run for...what is it, 9 years, with Patrick at the helm, but one reference to Derpy sends parents into a panic?  I think it's more that the people who thought Derpy was offensive were just LOUDER than anyone who objected to Patrick, since I doubt he got off scott free.  Either that, or the fact that he was a major character prevented the higher-ups from ordering a change.  I don't really blame Hasbro for changing Derpy's one scene, I still think the original airing is canon, I'm just saying that since she was a one-shot thing people objected to, she got changed. 

McSleuthburger

the difference (I think) between Ed / patrick and Derpy is that the two of them are just shown to have low intellegence while Derpy has a physical deformity (eyes) and with that some people might associate people with derpy eyes to have a lower intelligence and that is what will offend people 

yes people are over reacting but that is how some people are
Ye-olde ex mod
You've just been McSleuthburgered!

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Stardust Dragon on 2013 Feb 12, 18:45:35
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2013 Feb 11, 23:07:55

I think at that time, the Derpy we know was a different character than the mentioned Ditzy Doo.  My understanding is that episode was already set to run before the Brony community exploded with Derpy, so she got no other cross-eyed scenes until "Feeling Pinkie Keen", when the animators had the time to add her into the episode. 

In terms of fanon, I think both names are used differently: for instance, in Doctor Whooves and Assistant, Ditzy is her real name, but the Doctor takes up the nickname Derpy that she was given by other ponies because he likes it better. 

Doesn't change the fact that Derpy was right there when they said Ditzy Doo was somewhere else. Maybe it's the fact that I really really don't like the name "Ditzy Doo" for Derpy. It doesn't feel right, to me. I think at one point, I decided Ditzy is actually Derpy's twin whose eyes are normal or something.

Anyway, I think one of the things people noted as "offensive" was that they thought Derpy seemed mentally... er... y'know. They felt that Derpy had a mental condition, rather than a physical one. In truth, there's a physical condition in real life that's like Derpy's eyes. It's called Brown's Syndrome. One of the tendons on an eye has trouble working properly, causing it to turn an awkward way.

Book Smarts

Quote from: McSleuthburger on 2013 Feb 12, 19:08:00
the difference (I think) between Ed / patrick and Derpy is that the two of them are just shown to have low intellegence while Derpy has a physical deformity (eyes) and with that some people might associate people with derpy eyes to have a lower intelligence and that is what will offend people 

I've seen people go swimming in a chlorinated pool(part time lifeguard), sometimes their eyes will actually go cross eyed, it doesn't always have to be from deformity.

McSleuthburger

Quote from: Book Smarts on 2013 Feb 12, 22:53:16
Quote from: McSleuthburger on 2013 Feb 12, 19:08:00

I've seen people go swimming in a chlorinated pool(part time lifeguard), sometimes their eyes will actually go cross eyed, it doesn't always have to be from deformity.

but what im saying is the combo of eyes and Derpy appearing to be slower than normal is what offends people
Ye-olde ex mod
You've just been McSleuthburgered!

max_silverfox

on the bright side since hasbro banned derpy all fanmade derpys are free to be selled...

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: max_silverfox on 2013 Feb 13, 11:27:18
on the bright side since hasbro banned derpy all fanmade derpys are free to be selled...

Hasbro is still selling Derpy merchandise, which means she's still copyrighted and trademarked by Hasbro. They're just taking her out of the show, is all. They still plan to profit off of her.

Rissian

2013 Feb 13, 15:57:55 #12 Last Edit: 2013 Feb 13, 16:00:08 by Trege
I wonder if it would work out better if Hasbro adapted a different fan view of Derpy, not slow just Ditsy and actually quite intelligent.

That's one of my favorite views on Derpy.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Trege on 2013 Feb 13, 15:57:55
I wonder if it would work out better if Hasbro adapted the fan view of Derpy, not slow just Ditsy and actually quite intelligent.

Spoiler: show

That's my favorite view on her too. She's bubbly and hyper, but she's really pretty smart.

Rissian

2013 Feb 13, 16:03:09 #14 Last Edit: 2013 Feb 13, 16:06:17 by Trege
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2013 Feb 13, 15:59:46
Quote from: Trege on 2013 Feb 13, 15:57:55
I wonder if it would work out better if Hasbro adapted the fan view of Derpy, not slow just Ditsy and actually quite intelligent.

Spoiler: show

That's my favorite view on her too. She's bubbly and hyper, but she's really pretty smart.

Yeah it's my most favorite view of her. It would be awesome if it became canon, I keep re-watching those episodes as well.  ^-^

max_silverfox

derpy knows quantum phisics and rocket sience, just because her eyes she has a sigtly deficience when coordinating her own body... thats mah view of her

Weatherboy1

Derpy was spotted in her natural state! of googly eyes!

Jenzy

Night Pony

Spoiler: MOAR DERPY • show

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

Jenzy

Derpy was really "Where's Waldo" in the Finale.

Hasbro, you tease... :/

Go Up