Super Mario Thread [Share your Super Mario Maker levels here!]

Started by Jenzy, 2012 Dec 15, 13:28:32

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Rikaria

After sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much editing, here's mine:

Bite-sized Levels Pack #1
116E-0000-002F-3A6D
Five puzzle-like levels crammed into one!

EDIT: Kinda relevant to this thread:

If I'm not here, I'm most likely on Pokémon Shuffle's Miiverse community.

Billow Pillow

2015 Sep 15, 22:13:24 #401 Last Edit: 2015 Sep 15, 22:15:52 by Billow Pillow
Interesting.. I was not aware one could upload packs! I appreciate this new information, but in the meantime I will leave you with my horde of levels.

* SS Penguin: Fixed: F459-0000-0039-1349 (Difficulty: Above Average)
* Anchored Up: 9A34-0000-0033-8921 (Difficulty: Average)
* Bombs Away: 3D48-0000-0033-C979 (Difficulty: Easy)
* Emblems, and Dungeons! Oh my!: 8430-0000-0034-F2D6 (Difficulty: Hard)
* The Basics: 66FB-0000-0037-1918 (Difficulty: Very Easy)
* Alternative Fright: 02BD-0000-003D-6E82 (Difficulty: Varies depending on path) (Newest)
* To Squid, or not to Squid: 772B-0000-003F-AB3E (Difficulty: Below Average)

Each one has secrets, Shortcuts, and some have alternative routes.  Please enjoy, and have a blessed day.
Senpai Notice me

LOE Craft: Here
My OC: Here
Dragon Cave Click Meow.

Rikaria

It's not actually a pack; it's just small levels crammed into one.

Anyway, I'll try out your levels later.

EDIT: While long levels are nice and all, the fact that there's no checkpoints in this game kinda ruins the enjoyment, especially if you get far in the level then get hit by an enemy/object/etc. while you're Small Mario :l

Jenzy

Quote from: Rikaria on 2015 Sep 15, 22:49:04
While long levels are nice and all, the fact that there's no checkpoints in this game kinda ruins the enjoyment, especially if you get far in the level then get hit by an enemy/object/etc. while you're Small Mario :l

THIS!! ^

I think I lost about 80 lives in the Alternative Fright level, and there was a point I almost reached the flag, but suddenly, THWOMP!

Also, I hate the Lost Lives counter. Always had. And there are so many cheap deaths in most levels...

Rikaria

I had to make some fixes, but anyway... Here's the revised version of my newest level:

Ground Pound the [?] Blocks!
  • 6705-0000-0049-0975

• A puzzle-ish level where the title is self-explanatory. Inspiration came from a couple of the sample levels (or courses, if you prefer).

Jenzy

I've posted my first level!
Springy Village
(1999-0000-004C-1A41)

Based on the Starter tutorial level. And you can probably tell what will be involved in the title...

Second level! I hope you all enjoy~
Light Up, Inquire Goals Inside
(3C63-0000-006D-C76C)

Rikaria

Finally done with this:

Bite-sized Levels Pack #2
6C18-0000-007B-05AC

Probably easier compared to Pack #1, but that depends on if you remember the controls.

Jenzy

*gasp* A new Level? You gotta be squiddin' me!

Squiddin' the Skies
(FA77-0000-0085-1F1F)

Have fun! This level requires some jumping on cannonballs. Beware the Bloopers.

Also, I love the Airship Theme that they made for Classic SMB~

FlameandIce

welp might as well post some levels here o3o

Mushrooms and Stars (6689-0000-0051-F1E3)
Underground 2 (7333-0000-001B-22F5)
Follow the coins! (6DD2-0000-0023-840D)
Super Goombros (0326-0000-0023-EB3E)
underwater block head (8408-0000-0030-08F5)
ladies and gentleman (7756-0000-0042-3E54)
not on cloud nine (2A93-0000-0047-C720)
Ships and tracks (BFD4-0000-004B-73F7)
Propeller Caves (B925-0000-0051-C3DB)
now let's all agree to never be creative again thank you Sugercup
http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=8674.msg666435#new
RP idea give me feedback

Rikaria

I have two challenging levels for you all:

The Misadventures of Toon Link
  • E9AA-0000-0092-B61F

• A dungeon-like level that heavily uses Tracks to somewhat replicate the top-down Zelda games.

[Glitch] Cloud Blocks are Lies? <updated!>
  • 10BE-0000-0098-F64C

• This level abuses a glitch that I saw on a video to some extent. Don't worry; you have SOME help... maybe.

Jenzy

New courses! Don't be afraid to comment and Star after you've played through the levels, so I can post more. I'd really appreciate it.

You're free to also share my courses to other sites too~

Wacky Trials Castle
(198C-0000-0097-2DFF)

A short castle stage taking inspiration from the Super Mario Maker Idea Book. Have a look for yourself. There are Warp Doors in the beginning to reset the area without having to Restart, if you accidentally take out the Magikoopa you need to clear the path. Enjoy!

Airship Station
(A185-0000-00A0-8C4F)

Another airship level! I actually designed part of it on paper first, before implementing it to Super Mario Maker. Mainly the sub-area, so you don't see it in the main layout when you view it in-game. This has alternate paths of varying difficulty. It's not too long. Hopefully you'll be able to clear it.

Rikaria

Here's my last level for a long while:

Let the Shells Open the Way! <updated again!>
  • FBA1-0000-00B6-1A37

• Open a path for the Shell Blasters, and they'll open a path for you! There's also a secret area that takes inspiration from another level I played.

Jcfraven

I'm about to get this, hopefully, so look forward to some difficult levels!

Any words of advice regarding the usage of the Super Mario Maker?

Rikaria

I wanna say "anything goes", but:
  • In order to be able to upload a level, you need to be able to beat it yourself first.

• Following the above, consider the difficulty you're trying to set. What might be easy to you might not be as easy for others unless you're intentionally making it hard.

• If you're gonna make a puzzle/puzzle-like level, make sure you're not forced to restart the whole level. Although that's still an option, players get more annoyed if they have to resort to that. Use Pipes that spawn certain items/enemies in, for example. Even if the items/enemies disappear, the Pipes will spawn in more of them (as long as you're not too close to the Pipes, anyway).

• Make it apparent where the player needs to go (again, unless you're purposely making the level harder). If a stage isn't linear, use things like Arrow Signs (not available immediately), make an arrow with blocks/coins, etc. as guides.

• Once you unlock them, don't overuse sound effects. Though they help emphasize correct/wrong decisions, warn players of what's coming up, and/or build up the atmosphere of the level, using too many in a row can be a major nuisance.

• There are certain limits on what you can place in a level. Keep this in mind, as all elements are split into different categories; once one category reaches its limit, the rest of the elements for that group are also affected (ex.: place way too many ? Blocks and you won't be able to place ground/wall Blocks, place way too many Goombas and you won't be able to place any Koopas, etc.).

• Experiment with the many combinations this game has to offer. Ever wanted to make a block follow a set path? Put them on Tracks! Ever wondered what a flying Thwomp would do? Put wings on them! Always wanted to fight a big Bowser underwater? Give him a Super Mushroom and change the theme to underwater! That's just a few of the MANY examples you can do.

• Like the game tells you, sometimes you won't know what to do for a level. If that ever happens, try playing others' levels to see if you can get inspiration from them.

• Have fun with what you make!

That's all I can think of for now. I'm pretty sure there's a lot of stuff I'm missing, but I'm sure you'll find out in time :)

Jcfraven

Quote from: Rikaria on 2015 Oct 14, 18:43:28
I wanna say "anything goes", but:
  • In order to be able to upload a level, you need to be able to beat it yourself first.

• Following the above, consider the difficulty you're trying to set. What might be easy to you might not be as easy for others unless you're intentionally making it hard.

• If you're gonna make a puzzle/puzzle-like level, make sure you're not forced to restart the whole level. Although that's still an option, players get more annoyed if they have to resort to that. Use Pipes that spawn certain items/enemies in, for example. Even if the items/enemies disappear, the Pipes will spawn in more of them (as long as you're not too close to the Pipes, anyway).

• Make it apparent where the player needs to go (again, unless you're purposely making the level harder). If a stage isn't linear, use things like Arrow Signs (not available immediately), make an arrow with blocks/coins, etc. as guides.

• Once you unlock them, don't overuse sound effects. Though they help emphasize correct/wrong decisions, warn players of what's coming up, and/or build up the atmosphere of the level, using too many in a row can be a major nuisance.

• There are certain limits on what you can place in a level. Keep this in mind, as all elements are split into different categories; once one category reaches its limit, the rest of the elements for that group are also affected (ex.: place way too many ? Blocks and you won't be able to place ground/wall Blocks, place way too many Goombas and you won't be able to place any Koopas, etc.).

• Experiment with the many combinations this game has to offer. Ever wanted to make a block follow a set path? Put them on Tracks! Ever wondered what a flying Thwomp would do? Put wings on them! Always wanted to fight a big Bowser underwater? Give him a Super Mushroom and change the theme to underwater! That's just a few of the MANY examples you can do.

• Like the game tells you, sometimes you won't know what to do for a level. If that ever happens, try playing others' levels to see if you can get inspiration from them.

• Have fun with what you make!

That's all I can think of for now. I'm pretty sure there's a lot of stuff I'm missing, but I'm sure you'll find out in time :)

I appreciate your extensive advice, and I will be sure to keep it all in mind! Here's hoping I do actually get it though, otherwise I'll be sad, haha.

Jenzy

Like the game's slogan says, "If you can dream it, you can make it." ;)

Once you get posting, it may be helpful to eventually post advice sometimes in the comments. Seems like several of my levels may need some.  I usually put advice in "Spoilers" so it's normally hidden.

• Make sure you can beat your level several times before you decide to post it.

• You can determine what you're level's icon is going to be depending on the area you're at when you Save! It'll probably look much more appealing than showing the Start Ground.

• Don't put too many traps in your level. That's just quite a huge nuissance. If you have a misleading area that's part of a puzzle, make sure it doesn't force a death or cause the player to restart.

• You can use amiibo (or play through the 100-Mario Challenge) to unlock Mystery Mushroom costumes! You could think of a theme for the Super Mario Bros. style (only) to make a theme based on the character. "Squiddin' the Skies" uses Splatoon's Inklings as the Mystery Mushroom costumes in the level.

• If you have an area that might be a very tough section to jump the first time, you could add a bridge or safe area to land at for the player to be able to continue and somehow get back without having to restart the level entirely. My "Airship Station" level something like that. I give them a little setback if they miss the jump instead of fall off to the pit. "Squiddin' the Skies" has an area that gives necessary Mystery Mushrooms for a particular puzzle I included in the level

• Well, that was said already... When you get the game, you should play the 10-Mario Challenge in order to unlock the pre-made courses that's available with the game. They may give you some ideas.

• You can use the layout from the Title Screen to create and Save. Maybe the layout will give you an idea on how to make your adventure.

• Use sound effects to make the level feel less bland or boring to go through. But like Rikaria said, when you unlock Sound Effects... don't overuse them!

• Super Mario Maker comes with an Idea Book. Use the codes in the book to input in the Manual to watch some videos that's included in the game for ideas. Or just enjoy the creative things Nintendo has crammed in to it.

• People love levels with creative designs. Think creative! Make the blocks appear like sprites or combine elements to make it look unique. Work with the theme or story in mind when creating a level.

• Give your levels Creative Names! It's probably a good idea to not keep naming levels with the same name, and just a number, unless you are seemingly going for a "series" of levels.

• Don't overuse enemies in one area!! There are a lot of "hard" levels that consist on mainly luck rather than skill. Only use enough of what's needed in the area to maneuver around.

I have no advice on how to share levels. There is the obvious upload, but what I mean is for getting others to go through it. I haven't really had anyone share mine at other sites, and it sometimes feels weird to share levels at others' comment sections, unless they actually encourage it. There's also not a lot of us here in this thread, but for sure, we'll give your creations a try~

Hope you get the game and make great levels!

Rikaria

Oh duh... I totally forgot the Idea Book... whoops x.x I promise you I didn't forget it exists; I've just been using ideas from other levels x.x

Also, while e-Manuals for other games are pretty generic, Super Mario Maker's is preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetty extensive and even comes with its own custom visuals. Actually, that's like... your source for a majority of the advice you need in one place X3 Anyway, I highly recommend you go through both the book and the manual.

Jenzy

New course! Don't be afraid to comment and Star after you've played through the levels, so I can post more. I'd really appreciate it.

You're free to also share my courses to other sites too~

Course Art for Stay Fresh Waters

Treasure at Stay Fresh Waters
(17F4-0000-00B0-1075)

Spoiler: In-game Layout for Main Area • show

My underwater Splatoon level is here! It should be around Normal or Medium difficulty. Just be careful squiddin' around in this open sea. The final part involves some maneuvering around Boo Buddies. I've hidden a Builder Mario, Dr. Mario, and 2 Lucario costumes. Enjoy exploring all around Stay Fresh Waters!

Jenzy

Quote from: Rikaria on 2015 Oct 27, 11:02:53
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/10/super_mario_maker_gets_mid-level_checkpoints_and_more_in_upcoming_update

Woohoo! :D

Mario: It's about time!

Pretty hyped for this update. I'll finally be able to add checkpoints to my courses! (Some of them desperately need checkpoints!)

Also, I'll be updating one of my courses' layouts. Specifically, Treasure at Stay Fresh Waters.
Spoiler: Version 1 • show
Old

Spoiler: Version 2 • show
New

It's a shame not that many people are playing/clearing my courses. And I have no idea what's the best way to get it spread out to the community better... :s

Go Up