Does Luna Actually Have Any Political Power?

Started by Midnight Breeze, 2012 Aug 24, 02:23:59

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Midnight Breeze

As someone who likes Luna better the Celestia, it's a bit aggravating that all of Luna's appearances besides as Nightmare Moon (Yes, all two appearances) she is just the butt of a joke. Everypony trembles when Celestia strolls into town, as thought they're scared that one false move will see them sent straight to the moon. Yet the show little, if any respect for Luna.
      Kind of wonder if Luna is actually Co-Ruling Equestria, again, since Celestia pretty much seems like the sole dictator. I mean, where is her throne in Canterlot Castle? Why is Luna never there at important Holidays or events? Seriously though, Luna deserves more screen time and actually legitimacy....

Dragnmastralex

Princess Celestia and Princess Luna ruled all of Equestria equally for a long time until the jealousy took over Luna and made her Nightmare Moon in that time of her banishment Celestia had to take over both jobs of raising and lowering the sun and moon and because of that she lost the ability to use the Elements of Harmony.
When Princess Luna returned to normal she again has taken up her royal duties and now is responsible for ruling all of Equestria... at night.

So yes she has equal rule as Celestia but everypony sleeps during her rule and her kingdom is that of a slumbered land of ponies which is what made her jealous in the first place.  During the day Luna is fast asleep and thus never shows up for the events held during the day like the royal wedding or the gala.  It's a sad lonely rule that is only satisfied by the one time of the year that ponies stay up all night and celebrate the night and have fun fearing Nightmare Moon, Nightmare Night.

hope that answers your questions.
[/center]

Little Judas

Also Equestria is a big place, non-canon visits to other cities or countries are always a possibility.
Ponyvile is not the only place a royal visit can take place.
Thanks to Julius for my OC. (see the avatar)

Let it fly in the breeze and get caught in the trees, Give a home to the fleas, in my hair
A home for fleas, a hive for the buzzing bees, A nest for birds, there ain't no words
For the beauty, splendor, the wonder of my hair

Book Smarts

You could actually see Luna coming from raising the moon in the season 2 finale, I think everything is back to normal with the sisters co ruling Equestria.

videogamehunter

Probably because Luna Sleeps during the day.

Soft Fang

Luna rules at night. Celestia during the day. Equal and shared power. Makes sense to me.

/That said, i hope to see more of my beloved princess soon.

Silverweed

Quote from: Dragnmastralex on 2012 Aug 24, 03:34:22
Princess Celestia and Princess Luna ruled all of Equestria equally for a long time until the jealousy took over Luna and made her Nightmare Moon in that time of her banishment Celestia had to take over both jobs of raising and lowering the sun and moon and because of that she lost the ability to use the Elements of Harmony.
When Princess Luna returned to normal she again has taken up her royal duties and now is responsible for ruling all of Equestria... at night.

So yes she has equal rule as Celestia but everypony sleeps during her rule and her kingdom is that of a slumbered land of ponies which is what made her jealous in the first place.  During the day Luna is fast asleep and thus never shows up for the events held during the day like the royal wedding or the gala.  It's a sad lonely rule that is only satisfied by the one time of the year that ponies stay up all night and celebrate the night and have fun fearing Nightmare Moon, Nightmare Night.

hope that answers your questions.

^ Utterly quote this. Also, the fact that Luna's been away for 1000 years, leaving to Celestia all the royal duties, has strong influence to Luna's political position imho. Probably, since Luna's return, Celestia has started to hand back some responsibility to her, but more likely not altogether at once...just gradually. I don't know if before Luna's banishment they actually had the same power, but now it seems that Celestia is a bit more important than Luna...though maybe this is all due to the fact that Celestia rules during the day and nopony cares who rules the night...

deviantART is magic
/!\ FIY: I sleep from 3 PM to 1 AM...curse you, time zones!

Blues-Music

Luna , and Celestia both have equal power over equestria.When a pony of them has any political ideas they discuss it as a council by agreeing , or disagreeing.However if a decision has something to do with day/night it is sort of the one that rules the time of the days responsibility.So if luna wanted to make a decision about the night it would be easier to pass since she rules it.However lets say Celestia wanted to make daylight savings.She can easily do that.Even though Luna might make an arguement there is a better chance Celestia wins the arguement since its her time.

The Wandering Magus

there are also issues of being able to comprehend and handle the massive social, economic and political changes over the past thousand years.  treaties have been made, wars have occurred, trade has shifted, technology has arisen, and even language itself has moved on from what it once was, as Luna learned very quickly during her first Nightmare Night.

Give her time, a thousand years is a lot to catch up on.
(sorry Bakasan, chose this image)
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636
my art: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=298
visiting soldier sister, be back 8/12/2013

Vick McBread

Vick McBread; the small orange pegasus stallion is BACK!
Steam: -CHA- Vick McBread
I do RPs. Here, and on steam.
I just wanna say "hello."

The Wandering Magus

you're quite intelligent yourself, vick :]
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636

Cresto

From our official knowledge of the show. I'm guessing Luna doesn't have that much "power", but I would also speculate neither does Celestia.

So far all we've seen of any government is local (Mayor Mare). I'm guessing as incredibly peaceful of a nation as Equestria is though really don't have much need for more obvious forms of government such as police forces. Of course, since Ponyville is a relatively new town (maybe about fifty-sixty years) with a pretty small population they probably haven't had much a need for a police force. Who knows though, maybe crime is almost non-existent and can be handled entirely by the citizens.

On the note of the Mysterious-Mare-Do-Well. I'm pretty sure the stallion in the uniform is a security officer, most likely to keep the patients who are not as mentally well (Screw Loose) from leaving.

The Wandering Magus

most of the guards seem to be royal guards though, which you'd think would be under control of the princesses?

Cresto

Quote from: The Wandering Magus on 2012 Sep 29, 21:16:10
most of the guards seem to be royal guards though, which you'd think would be under control of the princesses?

It does make sense for the sisters to have control over the Royal Guard, and we saw them blocking the entrance to Sugarcube Corner in Bird in the Hoof. Which implies that the princess is in need of some sort of "protection". Or, alternatively playing off the peaceful nation theory, they could just be founded on tradition. That once many years Celestia was in need of constant protection, but is no longer so.

The Wandering Magus

seems reasonable; a "secret service" or "royal guard" are still used in first-world nations after all.

Go Up