Started by Aria BIaze, 2015 Nov 28, 19:09:24

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Aria BIaze

2015 Nov 28, 19:09:24 Last Edit: 2015 Nov 29, 01:29:14 by lily7603
Spoiler: show
So, what'd you all think?
And what was your favorite part?
I thought it was all outstanding! The writers sure have outdone themselves this time!  :nod:
I couldn't have a favorite part, there is so much to choose from!
I also wonder if we'll be seeing Starlight Glimmer often in season 6. Now that'd be something interesting to see!  X3

Radiant Light

I can only hope for her to be part of the mane  >A<
...and not dumped to a franchise/ark like Sunset  :c

Solv

2015 Nov 29, 03:27:17 #2 Last Edit: 2015 Nov 29, 14:12:45 by Chishio Kunrin
There's a lot I loved about the whole thing (Twilight and Starlight both becoming increasingly savvy with each other's tactics per encounter and even Starlight's backstory~!), but for the sake of not putting everyone to sleep, I'll just point out one thing that stood out to me:

Starlight herself saw how Equestria fell apart into an actual wasteland, and that didn't stop her from fighting. She didn't care if she ended the world, she was bitterO:

(Also, it's a universal constant that no matter what the situation, be it normal, post-apocalyptic warrior, or even swampy tribal hunter, Pinkie Pie remains a cutie pie! :))

Mod note: Please use spoiler tags until the Monday after the episode.
:) :D          PINKIE PIE!  <3            :D :)

BludSpammd

2015 Nov 29, 07:28:59 #3 Last Edit: 2015 Nov 29, 11:03:36 by BludSpammd
This finale made me just as hyped as the season 2 finale. Each moment felt so intense. The smug face Starlight Glimmer had. You really felt like you wanted Twilight to succeed taking her down.
She didn't even hesitate to use lasers to try cutting Starlight in half.

It was all so brutal, but hey. It's really cool that we got to see what happened if the villains actually succeeded in taking over Equestria. It just shows how important it really was for the mane 6 to be there.

LostSanity

My thoughts are in the S5 thread.

Some may not like it.  :s
[shadow=gray,left]I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT REIGNS[/shadow]

The Roman Reigns of the forum

Mizuki

I absolutely loved it! <3

All of the Alternate Timelines were really creative! I remember when I saw the first one, my initial thought was "Hey wait a second, shouldn't Nightmare Moon be throwing the world into eternal night by now?" and lo and behold, they actually showed that time line! (Though, technically, everyone would be DEAD, but whatever-) I was also really impressed with Zecora's explanation of how time flows in their universe, (which sorta lamp-shaded my original complaint) and it was cool to see her at the forefront of a resistance against Queen Chrysalis :)

I don't think I need to mention how cool Pinkie, Maud and Rainbow's designs were in the War AU haha. Speaking of the War, it was nice to see War!AJ be really understanding to Twilight's plight. It could have easily been a cop-out, but the writers found a way to make it work imo. (like keeping the Map in a place where AJ has probably been to a million times)

It was very refreshing to see Twilight actually struggle in this one. I don't think I've seen a bad guy actually get the upper hand ever since Discord was introduced. Starlight Glimmer's cunning and condescending attitude was also really entertaining! (Plus all of those smug faces, lol) I also liked how the conflict between them wasn't solved with just brute force (although there was still some action involved, which I liked), but Starlight and Twilight had to actually talk it out. SG needed to be convinced that destroying a friendship wasn't going to bring her old friend back into her life.

I also liked how they showed that Starlight Glimmer actually had some valid points, like when she and Twilight had that exchange infront of the bullies and filly Fluttershy. Yes Starlight Glimmer was only being "nice" to get the upper-hand, but they had an open dialogue about bullying and debating some of the flaws in their society, which was nice. (Starlight still ended up being in the wrong, but mainly because she seems to misunderstand the whole point of cutie marks. They're not meant to show off how objectively superior some ponies are over others, they're meant to show off what makes everyone different. It's okay to have friends who are nothing like you! <3)

I kinda don't want SG to be a member of the mane 6 though :l I'm okay with them all being friends with eachother, but I just think about Sunset Shimmer and Moon Dancer and all of Twilight's friends back in Canterlot. But we'll see how it goes ^-^

Her backstory was pretty weak though. Wouldn't it make more sense for her to study magic- (which I'm guessing is her special talent) but then somepony else gets more recognition than her because they think they're "better" at magic than she is? In my opinion that would have been a more logical reason for her to be so obsessed with equality than the whole "my friend got sent away because of his cutie mark" thing. But that's just me.

Anyway it was worth the wait for me. Season 5 was sorta a drag for me so seeing this was really satisfying~

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

Dawnstar

2015 Nov 30, 15:09:24 #6 Last Edit: 2015 Nov 30, 15:14:22 by Dawnstar
Spoiler: Starlight's Probation • show
I'm honestly surprised at how much people seem to speculate that Starlight is going to become a part of the main cast. To me it looked more like they were keeping her around because she was too dangerous to trust off on her own.

We'll probably get appearances in later seasons, but I don't see her becoming a prominent character.

Right now though I think the ponies just want to keep an eye on her until they're sure she can be trusted not to have a relapse.

Spoiler: Alternate Timelines • show
I loved the alternate timelines though. Makes you wonder just how things changed over the years just based on how very different each event in Cloudsdale was.

I'm actually more interested in the Nightmare Moon timeline than I am the Sombra timeline though. The transition of rulers couldn't have been that unpleasant seeing as there wasn't the same kind of strife in many of the other timelines. Plus Twilight's alternate friends didn't seem to have any issue serving Nightmare Moon.

As for the whole eternal night killing off all life. I think what may have happened was that Nightmare Moon has strong enough magic to move the sun like Celestia (Celestia was only able to beat her with the Elements after all). My guess is that she keeps the sun up in the daytime long enough to make sure everything doesn't die off.

Also, did anyone else notice the moon was shaded in the colors of Celestia's mane?  :]

Out of all the timelines though I think the one with Chrysalis may have been the darkest second only to the Wasteland one. If only because they made it seem like Zecora's village was the last remaining holdout able to fight back against the changelings which means they'd pretty much absorbed all of Equestria by that point.

I also found it interesting how they chose Applejack to be Chrysalis' disguise. Hiding deception behind the face of honesty. Of course since AJ, Rainbow and Rarity were all changelings I can assume nothing good happened to those three in that timeline.

As for the Wasteland timeline though, I think that may have actually been the timeline where Starlight managed to take over Equestria like she had planned.

Without the specialized talents of the three pony races I can imagine their carefully balanced ecosystem collapsing without the care they give it.

Spoiler: Another Interesting Thought • show
In all of the timelines none of the other villains managed to regain power, so while the world was still in turmoil the other villains still managed to get defeated.

Either because they joined up with the victorious villain of that timeline, or because Equestria was still able to find a way to defeat them.

I'll use Sombra's timeline as an example.

Only Celestia was there to fight back against Sombra's forces which means Luna was either rebanished or destroyed, same with Discord unless the war put a damper on his fun. The Changelings were probably wiped out. Of course since the timelines were all present-day that also means that Tirek was also dealt with in some fashion.

Equestria's technology did seem to be a bit more advanced in that timeline than the others so the lack of Elements and the war with Sombra probably pushed them to develop a technological advantage.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Dawnstar on 2015 Nov 30, 15:09:24
Spoiler: Starlight's Probation • show
I'm honestly surprised at how much people seem to speculate that Starlight is going to become a part of the main cast. To me it looked more like they were keeping her around because she was too dangerous to trust off on her own.

We'll probably get appearances in later seasons, but I don't see her becoming a prominent character.

Right now though I think the ponies just want to keep an eye on her until they're sure she can be trusted not to have a relapse.

I loved the alternate timelines though. Makes you wonder just how things changed over the years just based on how very different each event in Cloudsdale was.

I'm actually more interested in the Nightmare Moon timeline than I am the Sombra timeline though. The transition of rulers couldn't have been that unpleasant seeing as there wasn't the same kind of strife in many of the other timelines. Plus Twilight's alternate friends didn't seem to have any issue serving Nightmare Moon.

As for the whole eternal night killing off all life. I think what may have happened was that Nightmare Moon has strong enough magic to move the sun like Celestia (Celestia was only able to beat her with the Elements after all). My guess is that she keeps the sun up in the daytime long enough to make sure everything doesn't die off.

Also, did anyone else notice the moon was shaded in the colors of Celestia's mane?  :]

Out of all the timelines though I think the one with Chrysalis may have been the darkest second only to the Wasteland one. If only because they made it seem like Zecora's village was the last remaining holdout able to fight back against the changelings which means they'd pretty much absorbed all of Equestria by that point.

I also found it interesting how they chose Applejack to be Chrysalis' disguise. Hiding deception behind the face of honesty. Of course since AJ, Rainbow and Rarity were all changelings I can assume nothing good happened to those three in that timeline.

As for the Wasteland timeline though, I think that may have actually been the timeline where Starlight managed to take over Equestria like she had planned.

Without the specialized talents of the three pony races I can imagine their carefully balanced ecosystem collapsing without the care they give it.

Spoiler: Another Interesting Thought • show
In all of the timelines none of the other villains managed to regain power, so while the world was still in turmoil the other villains still managed to get defeated.

Either because they joined up with the victorious villain of that timeline, or because Equestria was still able to find a way to defeat them.

I'll use Sombra's timeline as an example.

Only Celestia was there to fight back against Sombra's forces which means Luna was either rebanished or destroyed, same with Discord unless the war put a damper on his fun. The Changelings were probably wiped out. Of course since the timelines were all present-day that also means that Tirek was also dealt with in some fashion.

Equestria's technology did seem to be a bit more advanced in that timeline than the others so the lack of Elements and the war with Sombra probably pushed them to develop a technological advantage.

Remember what Nightmare Moon said, though? No pony was allowed to have more powerful magic than her. The reason she was so successful and didn't have a resistance against her is because she stamped out any possibility of anypony rebelling against her by making it to where nopony had enough power to defeat her.

Spoiler: Another Thought • show
Well, in real life, in times of large wars, technology makes huge leaps to meet the needs of the warring sides. Not just technology for tools of combat, but also for medicine and medical procedures, as well as ways of more efficiently producing what the people need.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Dawnstar

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2015 Nov 30, 16:27:31
Remember what Nightmare Moon said, though? No pony was allowed to have more powerful magic than her. The reason she was so successful and didn't have a resistance against her is because she stamped out any possibility of anypony rebelling against her by making it to where nopony had enough power to defeat her.

Well, in real life, in times of large wars, technology makes huge leaps to meet the needs of the warring sides. Not just technology for tools of combat, but also for medicine and medical procedures, as well as ways of more efficiently producing what the people need.

Hm. I must have missed that line, but it wouldn't surprise me if she had the power to overwhelm most of the major villains too.

We already knew she was stronger than Celestia as Nightmare Moon, and she probably wouldn't have held back against Discord either. I also imagine Chrysalis wouldn't have been as powerful as the primary timeline since I doubt there'd be as much love to feed on.

Though I am curious about how she'd defeat Tirek, but I guess she could've caught him before he regained his power and likely did away with him completely.

What I found interesting though is how Twilight's friends supported her in that timeline. They didn't exactly seem like they were resigned to defeat, but more like genuine supporters.

I was actually going to make that comparison but decided against adding it. I did think it was interesting how that detail made it into that timeline though.

Guard120

Didn't really like it. You are not going to like what you see.

All the alternate time lines looked cool, but they were fan pandering/fluff really.

Starlight Glimmer, ahh Starlight, the evil one that literally got away with murder. She assaulted and held an entire town captive, as well as the mane 6, then went on a rage induced time trip trying to wipe out the lives we know, all because she didn't think to look for her old friend? wow.

Then at the end, despite everything, she is accepted, there is no being humble, there is no, justice, no repentance, just a pat on the back and all forgiven. Not even Sunset Shimmer got away with this, it took 2 movies just to earn their trust.

Then there is her power. Twilight might as well give up her cutie mark, because the Element of Magic herself (who also gave up most all of her young life to her craft) was bested by this Unicorn, which never made sense. The writers should have used different tactics. To say nothing of every pegasus basically being made obsolete by how effortlessly Starlight was able to fly.

No, All Starlight Glimmer taught me was that Petty, vindictive rage is more powerful than the Magic of Friendship and I will never forgive her for it

wingedpineapple

2015 Dec 07, 22:00:44 #10 Last Edit: 2015 Dec 07, 22:03:20 by wingedpineapple
Quote from: Guard120 on 2015 Dec 07, 09:54:48

Then there is her power. Twilight might as well give up her cutie mark, because the Element of Magic herself (who also gave up most all of her young life to her craft) was bested by this Unicorn, which never made sense. The writers should have used different tactics. To say nothing of every pegasus basically being made obsolete by how effortlessly Starlight was able to fly.

No, All Starlight Glimmer taught me was that Petty, vindictive rage is more powerful than the Magic of Friendship and I will never forgive her for it

Are spoilers even necessary rule wise? eh.

This complaint keeps annoying me.

Starlight can be a powerful magical user because she has studied as hard if no more than twi, and not necessarily because she was bitter.

Was Starlight more powerful than an alicorn for the sake of the plot?
Yes.

Was Starlight's magic more powerful than magic of friendship?
We don't know, Twi was alone in the finale, without her friends she couldn't brainwash Starlight like she did with Sunset.
(Yes, Sunset had to earn the thrust of everyone in the second movie but she became suddenly harmless and a good girl after the rainbow blast so I find it pointless)

tl;dr
Starlight was more powerful than an alicorn because the plot demanded it.
Twilight can't use the magic of friendship without friends so we can't really compare it with Starlight magic
[move][/move]

Guard120

2015 Dec 08, 09:21:49 #11 Last Edit: 2015 Dec 08, 09:24:57 by Guard120
Quote from: wingedpineapple on 2015 Dec 07, 22:00:44
Are spoilers even necessary rule wise? eh.

not sure to be honest, just did it that way to continue with the threads theme. :)

Yeah I get the plot point of being more powerful but as I mentioned, I think it was just bad writing and should have been done differently,(it was an easy cop out) but I get what you are saying.

I still don't like Starlight and probably wont for a long time, and that is my right and my burden. Maybe I will change my mind if I decide to watch season 6, who knows, maybe the writers will surprise me, they didn't with that episode though. :D

wingedpineapple

Quote from: Guard120 on 2015 Dec 08, 09:21:49
I still don't like Starlight and probably wont for a long time, and that is my right and my burden. Maybe I will change my mind if I decide to watch season 6, who knows, maybe the writers will surprise me, they didn't with that episode though. :D

I can't blame you for that, the backstory they gave to Starlight wasn't exactly the best and everything we know about her personality was related to her town or her revenge.
We can only wait and see what are they gonna do with her, I'm guessing the next season finale she is going to be important to save the day like Discord was in the season 4 finale or sunset in the second movie.
[move][/move]

LostSanity

No thanks.

I'd rather not see her EVER AGAIN.

>:O

Dawnstar

Honestly, I'm expecting Starlight to have an appearance in the season 6 premiere. If only because they made it sound like she was going to become Twilight's student now. So they will likely start that up right away.

After that she'll probably pop up at intervals throughout the season, but I doubt she'll get too much screen time.

Also, while I will fully agree that her backstory did seem a bit rushed I can at least see a semblance of progression for her state of mind:
Spoiler: Starlight's Mental State • show
[list]
[li]Her friend gets his cutie mark and gets sent off to Canterlot. She doesn't hear from him after that.[/li]
[li]She becomes too afraid to try and make new friends because she's afraid another cutie mark will take them away from her.[/li]
[li]That negativity festers and develops into her complete disdain for all cutie marks and her belief that without them no one would have to worry about losing friends over cutie marks.[/li]
[li]Fast forward to the point where she founds her village based on that belief and things probably go very well for her at first which only serves to prove to her that what she believes about cutie marks is right.[/li]
[li]The mane 6 arrive at her village and Starlight sees it as an opportunity to spread her ideals across Equestria by attempting to get a princess to accept her cutie mark ideology.[/li]
[li]This doesn't take of course and for a second time cutie marks take away ponies who Starlight believed to be her friends, but this time it's her whole village. Something she had put a large portion of her life into and believed to be proof that she was right.[/li]
[li]As her world comes crashing down around her Starlight becomes desperate and attempts to rob the mane 6 of their cutie marks forever. This is also where the writers establish that Starlight has similar magical knowledge to Twilight, the difference being Twilight has made improvements to the spells she has learned.[/li]
[li]Having escaped she turns that desperation into vengeance and proceeds to follow the mane 6 around to find some way to ruin their lives forever. At which point she finds out about the first sonic rainboom and, taking a page from Twilight, she modifies Starswirl's time travel spell and goes on to utterly destroy all of Equestria's recent history.[/li]
[li]Now some people might argue that a normal unicorn like Starlight shouldn't be able to go toe to toe with an Alicorn. However, she has a high level of magical knowledge like Twilight, and Twilight has never really been that much of a fighter. The battle with Tirek doesn't really count because it was just a slug-fest of sheer power.

Also, one thing that seems to have been forgotten was that Twilight ran around a few different timelines trying to figure out how to fix things and tiring herself out in the process which would've leveled the playing field a little too.[/li]
[li]Either way Twilight had to resort to convincing Starlight to stop because, for one reason or another, she couldn't beat her in a straight up fight. Even then Starlight refused to listen until Twilight finally pushed her to go out and make new friends like she needed to all those years ago.[/li]
[/list]

LostSanity

You guys really don't seem to understand how worried about this I am.

I seriously don't want to see Starlight Glimmer EVER AGAIN.

There's a chance I might quit the fandom and the show if she does. This is different from the Alicorn Twilight situation. I admitted I overreacted to that. But... this is just too different.

I'm sorry but I can't bring myself to like her. AT ALL. EVER.

I don't want to see her in S6. Or the movie. Or in the show EVER AGAIN.

I want to continue to watch the show and to be a brony... but... if she shows up... I'm just concerned that I won't be able to.

:I

wingedpineapple

2015 Dec 11, 20:19:11 #16 Last Edit: 2015 Dec 12, 08:58:52 by wingedpineapple
Quote from: LostSanity on 2015 Dec 11, 18:27:34
I want to continue to watch the show and to be a brony... but... if she shows up... I'm just concerned that I won't be able to.

:I

That's your choice and your opinion but keep in mind that other people want to see her and their opinions are as valuable as yours.
I really want to see her character and backstory get developed and maybe a chapter with Sunburst, and I'll be upset if it doesn't happen just like I'm upset about the background ponies in slice of life probably not appearing (as characters) ever again.

Not everyone is going to like the decisions of the writers or Hasbro, I definitely didn't like the way Tiara was redeemed, but I'm not going to say "If she appears ever again, I'll quit the fandom FOREVER!" every time the discussion comes or at least not thrice in the same page.

Sorry if this came out sounding aggressive.
[move][/move]

LostSanity

I'm not the type to do something like this. I always finish what I start. It's just something I've always done. It's the kind of person I am.

Just try to keep one more thing in mind.

The possibility of me liking episodes with Starlight Glimmer in them are about as likely as me liking episodes with Discord in them.

In fact...

There's more of a chance of me liking Discord episodes than Glimmer episodes.

Got it memorized?

:\

wingedpineapple

2015 Dec 12, 18:33:05 #18 Last Edit: 2015 Dec 12, 19:14:48 by wingedpineapple
Quote from: LostSanity on 2015 Dec 12, 18:21:01
Got it memorized?

Nah, we obviously need you tell us how much you don't like them a fifth time in this thread.
[move][/move]

McClaw

Quote from: wingedpineapple on 2015 Dec 12, 18:33:05
Nah, we obviously need you tell us how much you don't like them a fifth time in this thread.

You forgot a sarcasm emote. :P :/ 0:)
Watch for "Census Taker" (pegasus), "Chuck Wagon" (earth pony), and "Bug Hunter" (unicorn).

Go Up