Bad news.

Started by Zaner-Boy, 2012 Oct 01, 05:34:42

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Rissian

Alright I'll keep those pictures in mind while we work on this. First can you check boot sequence and tell me what it lists?

Zaner-Boy

1: CD/DVD/CD-RW Device
2: Internal HDD
3: USB Storage Device
4: Diskette Drive
    Modular Bay HDD
    Cardbus NIC
    D/Dock PCI slot NIC
    Onboard NIC

Rissian

Okay in the boot sequence does it say any devices are not present?

Zaner-Boy

What I typed is exactly what it said on-screen, not including the explanation of what the Boot Sequence is. So no.

Rissian

Alright can you check the onboard devices area and tell me what it says?

Zaner-Boy

Fast IR
Integrated NIC
Internal Modem
External USB ports
Integrated USB hub
Parallel Port
Serial Port
PC Card

Rissian

2012 Oct 01, 18:46:32 #26 Last Edit: 2012 Oct 01, 18:50:15 by Trege
Okay try going back to the boot sequence area and see if it lets you select internal HDD and if it does tell me if anything pops up.

Zaner-Boy

It allows me to select it, take it off of the list for starting up, and move it up and down the list. Nothing special shows up when I do any of these things.

Rissian

2012 Oct 01, 18:56:44 #28 Last Edit: 2012 Oct 01, 18:59:01 by Trege
Alright I have an idea though I'm not sure this will work. You said you typed everything you saw so press spacebar on the internal HDD and tell me if a number appears by it.

Err nevermind my brain derped on me yet again sorry.

Zaner-Boy

There's already a number by it. I typed a 2 next to it in the post. Pressing Space takes the number away, and puts it back again if I press it twice.

Rissian

2012 Oct 01, 19:01:10 #30 Last Edit: 2012 Oct 01, 19:05:04 by Trege
Try moving the HDD to the top of the list and taking the numbers off the other devices. If it still won't boot the OS either the MBR is damaged or the HDD itself is damaged. The MBR is fixable though. Make sure you save and exit the bios after changing the settings though.

When your computer decided not to boot what were you doing on it last before it messed up? and was it acting odd at all.

Zaner-Boy

Er mah gerd, it worked! The computer is booting up now. Thanks Trege, you're a lifesaver!

Rissian

No problem.  ^-^ I've had to deal with Dells a lot they are pretty annoying when they decide to break over stupid reasons. For some reason your PC was trying to boot the wrong device that had nothing on it.

If you lost power or anything the bios settings were likely corrupted and needed to be set to something normal.

Zaner-Boy

Nothing too odd happened yesterday. Maybe it was because my computer REALLY hated the LoE Pre-Alpha. Oh well, thanks for the help, man. :D

Rissian

If you restart it and it happens again. The bios may have something that's preventing it from saving, which isn't that big of an issue it just means setting the boot sequence each time it starts Hopefully it stays saved now though.

Zaner-Boy

More bad news. It wouldn't boot up again this morning, and wouldn't let me in the bios until I unplugged all of the usb ports. Even then, the save options hadn't changed, but when I exited the bios, it worked fine. What the heck is going on?

Rissian

So the options you set were the same? Did you have any flash drives during start up. The PC does consider them disks so it could have tried to boot from those although I'm not sure why usually you have to tell the bios what you want it to boot and then it keeps those settings.

SweBow

Quote from: Zaner-Boy on 2012 Oct 02, 05:48:33
More bad news. It wouldn't boot up again this morning, and wouldn't let me in the bios until I unplugged all of the usb ports. Even then, the save options hadn't changed, but when I exited the bios, it worked fine. What the heck is going on?

I would suggest if you can, do a BIOS update. Sounds to me like a corrupt BIOS there.

Lord of Madness

Quote from: SweBow on 2012 Oct 02, 07:30:35
Quote from: Zaner-Boy on 2012 Oct 02, 05:48:33

I would suggest if you can, do a BIOS update. Sounds to me like a corrupt BIOS there.

^ im a second opinion. Do what SweBow says.

Zaner-Boy

It worked when I booted it up five minutes ago after getting home... maybe the computer was just a bit slow, and I was impatient this morning. Oh well, if it happens again, I'll try that.

Go Up