What exactly is a closet brony?

Started by Bro1997, 2014 Aug 09, 12:04:28

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Bro1997

I'm not sure what a closet brony means and how many are that?!

hazardtime

Closet bronies are people who are interested in the show/fandom, but either don't acknowledge it openly or just outright act like a hater because they are afraid of being judged.

Chishio Kunrin

Basically, they're a brony, but they're hiding the fact that they're a brony. Like, they're hiding in a closet. I guess the "closet" term maybe comes from the thought of them hiding any pony stuff in their closet, so no one else will ever see it.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

hazardtime

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2014 Aug 09, 12:46:45
Basically, they're a brony, but they're hiding the fact that they're a brony. Like, they're hiding in a closet. I guess the "closet" term maybe comes from the thought of them hiding any pony stuff in their closet, so no one else will ever see it.

Actually, I believe the term comes from the homosexual "coming out of the closet".  The person "hiding in the closet" knows what they are but refuses to publicly come out and admit it due to fear of being judged, so they stay in the closet and hide their true feelings.

Then again, your theory is legitimate, as well.

Bro1997

2014 Aug 09, 19:14:32 #4 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 09, 19:18:32 by Bro1997
Quote from: hazardtime on 2014 Aug 09, 12:19:36
Closet bronies are people who are interested in the show/fandom, but either don't acknowledge it openly or just outright act like a hater because they are afraid of being judged.

I thought the term was more used toward bronies who still live at home with their parents and don't want them to know because they'll get furious at them for liking something that isn't appropriate for their age group or gender, especially if they are male and won't allow them to like it for that reason.

Post Merge

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2014 Aug 09, 12:46:45

It's a shame that this world is like that. This whole "Ponies for little girls" thing needs to come to an end. This isn't 1963 anymore. IT'S FRECKIN 2014!!!!!! We need to recognize gay and homosexuals and accept people for their personality, not what they like. You may not agree with what they like, but don't tease them, make fun of them, or bully them because bullying needs to END!!! And that's now!

nyditch

I'd say I'm a closet brony toward my family, but not toward my friends anymore. Many of them are aware that the show is awesome. Well... at least I try to tell them that it is. Most don't seem to believe me. Ah well, their loss. :P
ditch - a safe place in an unsafe world

AaronMk

Regular person. Brony by night.

Basically if you knew what being "closeted" met and "Coming out of the closet" you'd be able to parse together what being a closeted brony is.

#DeposeGothsFromRomanClay

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: hazardtime on 2014 Aug 09, 12:52:01
Actually, I believe the term comes from the homosexual "coming out of the closet".  The person "hiding in the closet" knows what they are but refuses to publicly come out and admit it due to fear of being judged, so they stay in the closet and hide their true feelings.

Then again, your theory is legitimate, as well.

Hiding one's sexuality is called being in the closet for the same reason: It comes from the phrase "skeleton in the closet" which is British slang for keeping a big secret.

Bro1997

Quote from: nyditch on 2014 Aug 11, 02:10:34
I'd say I'm a closet brony toward my family, but not toward my friends anymore. Many of them are aware that the show is awesome. Well... at least I try to tell them that it is. Most don't seem to believe me. Ah well, their loss. :P

They won't understand and won't think it is appropriate for anyone that isn't a young female to like something like ponies. You need to see it in the world's perception. Your family like most men and women who don't understand fandoms like bronies won't believe you at all. They might not get you and allow you to be a brony and might even get upset if you tell them your friends know about this. It's just not socially acceptable to most people in this world and might even think your sick for liking something like MLP. Yeah, I don't think your friends will believe you either. They might respect your interests, but as long as they don't try out the show they'll have the same generalized thoughts when it comes to colorful ponies. It's not right in this world to bully anyone, but if you think about it most people will never get you very well.

Chishio Kunrin

I was a closet brony toward my family at first, but then I ended up letting them know. Women get a lot less guff about being bronies than men do, but we still get it for being "too old." Same as how adults who play Pokemon will occasionally run into people who're like "Aren't you a little old to be playing Pokemon?"

My mom didn't quite understand me liking MLP until she read that one of her favorite bloggers watched an episode with her husband and liked it. So, my mom brought it up on Netflix and watched the same episode as her. I think it was May The Best Pet Win. She said it wasn't as pre-school as she thought, and she really likes Rarity.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Bro1997

2014 Aug 11, 17:44:52 #10 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 11, 17:51:37 by Bro1997
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2014 Aug 11, 16:31:54
I was a closet brony toward my family at first, but then I ended up letting them know. Women get a lot less guff about being bronies than men do, but we still get it for being "too old." Same as how adults who play Pokemon will occasionally run into people who're like "Aren't you a little old to be playing Pokemon?"

My mom didn't quite understand me liking MLP until she read that one of her favorite bloggers watched an episode with her husband and liked it. So, my mom brought it up on Netflix and watched the same episode as her. I think it was May The Best Pet Win. She said it wasn't as pre-school as she thought, and she really likes Rarity.

Some don't seem to understand that even though you do grow up, you can still be young at heart. Sure, adults do need to care more about things in the family then children do because they understand better and are more independent and trusted. I'm guessing it's just that some adults have different beliefs about things more intended towards children like Pokémon and MLP then others do and can't get that both can be enjoyed as adults as well. Sure, it's more understanding for a woman to enjoy MLP then a man because they probably enjoyed it as a child and it's still sort of socially acceptable in a way. Pokemon and MLP are a whole lot more decent to enjoy then some things that are intended for adults like all those war games that make no sense at all or some things that adults like to see on the internet. It's probably that people who no longer have or never had interest in either one of them will never understand and respect other people's likings. The generalized belief that many adults seem to have is that you need to focus on getting a job, getting married, having children, taking care of your dying family members, and etc. They should focus on personality, not their interests unless it's against the law or something. Just many of the things why this world sucks.

Go Up