Anyone else think there might be a race imbalance?

Started by Jellytoezz, 2012 May 09, 21:42:43

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Jellytoezz

Does anyone else think that there will be a major race imbalance, like a lot of Pegasi and less Unicorns and like no Earth Ponies?

Rad Thunder

We did a poll not too long ago, and while it won't be even, there seems to be somewhat of a balance.
Of course there will be more unicorns and pegasi, but there will be a fair share of earth ponies. :)

Dr. Krest

^

Once everyone realizes that pegasi and unicorns are the opposite of tanks tons of people will switch to earth pony xD

Blaze

I'm sure that the LoE team will find a way to balance them out quite well! They've mentioned balancing of races in their livestreams a couple of times.  I also believe that the amount of a race depends on peoples' OCs and what race their characters are (which most pony OCs that I've seen are pegasi).  ^-^

LemonDrop

Earth pony all ze way :3
If there is a race imblance it wont really matter, unless the number of people in one affects how successful they are, if so, I've seen other games put a tax system using data from the race sizes in comparasion to other ones to make them equal.

Chishio Kunrin

Once the team gets around to balancing the races in Alpha, people will find out that earthponies are just as good as pegasi and unicorns.

Besides, someponies might be disappointed when the game comes out and they find their pegasus flying much slower than in the Pre-Alpha footage or realize their unicorn refuses to teleport all the way across the map. =P

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

LemonDrop

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 May 09, 22:31:26
Once the team gets around to balancing the races in Alpha, people will find out that earthponies are just as good as pegasi and unicorns.

Besides, someponies might be disappointed when the game comes out and they find their pegasus flying much slower than in the Pre-Alpha footage or realize their unicorn refuses to teleport all the way across the map. =P

I doubt that you can teleport like that as far as you can see, I bet there will be a range limit and a cooldown.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: LemonDrop on 2012 May 09, 22:32:39
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 May 09, 22:31:26

I doubt that you can teleport like that as far as you can see, I bet there will be a range limit and a cooldown.

Exactly what I'm sayin'. ^-^ They'll be mighty disappointed when their unicorn won't teleport that far without a cooldown.

Tiger

The team said that there WILL be a limit of how far the unicorns can teleport. And pegasi cannot fly above the treeline, thus not making them overpowered in Everfree  0:)

A link to my tumblr above!
Tiger's OC page. Should re-do it...

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Tiger on 2012 May 09, 22:45:24
The team said that there WILL be a limit of how far the unicorns can teleport. And pegasi cannot fly above the treeline, thus not making them overpowered in Everfree  0:)

And pegasus flying won't be as super speedy as it is in the Pre-Alpha footage. :D

Dawnstar

I'm not going to be super worried about balance issues until I see for myself how each compares to the other, and it sounds like they already have ideas on how to even the playing field.

I myself can see multiple possible advantages and disadvantages each one has, as well as competitive counters to each others' ability.

lurk852

Given that we have virtually no information beyond a single ability on each race, it's probably a bit premature to speculate about comparative strengths.

...unless you're just referring to the distribution of players, in which case yeah, lots of pegasi.
"The passions are, and ought only to be the slave of reason." - David Hume

Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Honestly now that we're talking races, I'm kind of torn here. Should I go as an earth pony like my avatar or pegasus because of the height advantage?
[move][le templar here]          [/move]

wildfire283

yes there is an imbalance the earth pony have nothing unless hey are given killer physical moves.  and last time i check the race poll thread it said there was only gonna be 30 earth pony. i know not everybody interested in this game voted yet but still number wise earth pony will lack  . unicorn snd pegasi will have more

Tiger

Quote from: wildfire283 on 2012 May 10, 02:44:42
yes there is an imbalance the earth pony have nothing unless hey are given killer physical moves.  and last time i check the race poll thread it said there was only gonna be 30 earth pony. i know not everybody interested in this game voted yet but still number wise earth pony will lack  . unicorn snd pegasi will have more

Earth ponies will run far faster than pegasi and unicorns, and if I'm not wrong they will also have more defense, making them the tanks of the team that will take the damage while the others attack the enemies.

A link to my tumblr above!
Tiger's OC page. Should re-do it...

lol

Deviant

Lary

Every race will have their own pros and cons. You must remember that the gameplay footage you see is still early in development, and that everything is subject to change at the developers' will.

But to be fair, I personally feel the concept of flight in a game that encourages exploration is a rather powerful ability...
Could've been something great. But ya' blew it... Ya' blew it.

lurk852

Quote from: Lary on 2012 May 10, 09:22:19
Every race will have their own pros and cons. You must remember that the gameplay footage you see is still early in development, and that everything is subject to change at the developers' will.

But to be fair, I personally feel the concept of flight in a game that encourages exploration is a rather powerful ability...

Still, exploration without flight is more satisfying, IMO. Having played WoW before and after the addition of flying mounts, it's a lot less interesting if you can just go anywhere you want with no effort.
"The passions are, and ought only to be the slave of reason." - David Hume

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: lurk852 on 2012 May 10, 09:25:01
Quote from: Lary on 2012 May 10, 09:22:19

Still, exploration without flight is more satisfying, IMO. Having played WoW before and after the addition of flying mounts, it's a lot less interesting if you can just go anywhere you want with no effort.

Exactly. If a pegasus and an earthpony decide to get to the top of a mountain, a pegasus is just gonna fly up there and go "Huh, that's cool" and leave. An earthpony is gonna have fun climbing and working for it.

But yeah, like Lary said, the gameplay footage is only Pre-Alpha. We should remember the races are incomplete and will be balanced in Alpha. Right now for Pre-Alpha, they're just focusing on world building.

Go Up