New Chatbox - Post feedback and suggestions for it here!

Started by Liska, 2013 Oct 14, 01:32:57

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Puynsi

I see that Im not the only one with the endless load time of the chatbox, funny thing is that It loaded the 1º time that I Logged in after the migration, after that, I can only use it by clicking the pop-up button.  =P

Liska

If you click on another webpage and then navigate to the forum index, the chatbox should load.
I'm not quite sure why the chatbox isn't loading when you first load the forums. I'll try reinstalling the chatbox sometime soon, maybe.

Night Pony

Suggestion:
Whenever we add a member in the ignore list, the messages from said member in the chat would be ignored also.

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

Liska

Okay, the chatbox should be loading properly now. ^-^

Julius

After a day of testing I can say it does without an issue! Thanks Anya! ^-^
Purr~

Syphor

I have just recently got the idea for a roleplay live chatbox.  People keep doing that on the regular chat, confusing people and/or annoying others.  So I would suggest making a second live chatbox for the roleplaying forums, plus the public likes roleplaying when it's more frequent and faster paced instead of having to post and wait... and wait... and wait...  So this is my suggestion to also fix a problem of confusion and annoyance in the live chat on the main forum page.
I used to hate MLP, now I don't.  Who cares what others think, they are just weak minded.  Bronies have conventions, what do haters have?

Pipkin

Personally I think the roleplay board is sufficient for roleplaying.

People aren't supposed to be roleplaying in the chatbox anyways...

Night Pony

But then again what is the purpose of the chatbox?  o.O

Weremetalwolf

Maybe the purpose of that chatbox was a way to find some friends within the forum, if you want to find someone friends a chatbox is a easier way to find them, in my opinion.
<br />My channel<br />My DA<br /><br />

Pipkin

The chatbox supplements what the old IRC channel did, it gives the forum members the ability to talk to each other.

Contrary to roleplaying which is....well, roleplaying

Night Pony

Pipkin

I have my own theory but I never heard an official reason.  Perhaps the team thought it would be easier to moderate a chatbox directly off the forums instead of an IRC channel(Not my theory btw), even though it's not...lol.

I honestly don't know  X3

Prismatic

I was never around during the days of the IRC.

This is just my own observation but from what I've seen on other sites with a 'box it's usually good for those topics that don't necessarily belong in any existing threads that typically results in one of those threads that's so random and long it's an eyesore.

McSleuthburger

With the chatbox the IRC wasnt really necessary because it stretched the mods even thinner
But like others have said before RP in the RP section
Ye-olde ex mod
You've just been McSleuthburgered!

Pipkin

But that doesn't make sense because the IRC was shut down 5 months before the chatbox was implemented  :P

But this isn't the place to be discussing it...i'll drop it, sorry  X3

McSleuthburger

has it been that long? I dont remember anything anymore apparently  x3
Ye-olde ex mod
You've just been McSleuthburgered!

Liska

The chatbox is not for roleplay. It is for chatting. Roleplay in the forums.

Puynsi

Im being honest... I think that a chatbox may have been a, well.... a bad move.

Pipkin

Well I already stated that a chatbox for a forum this size was a bad idea.  It's hard to moderate without a legit reporting system, and even with my clan's chatbox, which was alot smaller, it was hard to moderate....even with me on my computer all the time and getting admin PM and email alerts within seconds of a report.  I can't imagine how hard it is for the mods here, they'd have to have someone here 24/7 and that's nearly impossible even with the new hires.  My clan had 20 active server admins at the height of the clan and we had issues with ours...

Prismatic

Quote from: Pipkin on 2014 Jan 15, 21:42:05
Well I already stated that a chatbox for a forum this size was a bad idea.  It's hard to moderate without a legit reporting system, and even with my clan's chatbox, which was alot smaller, it was hard to moderate....even with me on my computer all the time and getting admin PM and email alerts within seconds of a report.  I can't imagine how hard it is for the mods here, they'd have to have someone here 24/7 and that's nearly impossible even with the new hires.  My clan had 20 active server admins at the height of the clan and we had issues with ours...

Some of the brony social networks (including the one I used to moderate) had full fledged chatrooms which  the option of creating rooms that were invisible or password locked (and were inaccessible to myself back in my day) and instant messaging of users privately outside those rooms.  Not including the shoutboxes that existed on every 'page' (like a group sort of thing).  The biggest caveat is that system required a whole new login and had no way of going back and seeing what happened past a few minutes ago without crashing the server.

The chatbox here is actually not too terribly problematic in comparison.

Go Up