Games that went completely under the radar but were great

Started by rhyme writer, 2013 Feb 21, 19:14:57

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

rhyme writer

2013 Feb 21, 19:14:57 Last Edit: 2013 Feb 21, 20:17:29 by rhyme writer
I'm sure some of you read gaming magazines and you'll see an article for a new game and you think, "That sounds cool! Can't wait to play it." Then it comes out and you love it, but when you tell someone about it, they've never even heard of it. This topic is to recognize those games which went unnoticed by the masses but some of us loved.

So I'm gonna go first. I'll posted the covers of the games when I get back to my computer.

1.Fragile Dreams: Farewell ruins of the moon (Teen)

2.The Last Story (Teen)

3.Corpse Party series (Mature)

4.Eternal Sonata (Teen)

I took the liberty of putting the ESRB ratings incase anypony wants to try them.

Sea Foam

Okami and Shadow of the Colossus(PS2... Okami is also on Wii) have their followings, but I still feel them to be much too under appreciated.
Both are highly artistic and wonders to look at.

Earthbound(SNES): I understand why it was not popular back when it came out, but today I don't see much excuse for those who haven't played it other than they don't like the RPG genre. If you love Earthbound, chances are you know the rest of the Mother series. Though I still believe Mother 3 to be a required game for anyone who's ever existed ever...
I can not recommend Mother 3 highly enough.

Chibi Robo(Gamecube): It's a very interesting concept that is executed quite well. My only problem with the game is that it is very difficult to discern what you're supposed to do. The game does not do good job in directing the player.

Threads of Fate((PS1; can be found on the Playstaion network, to my knowledge.): This a really nice and interesting game. It goes surprisingly unnoticed for something developed by Square, the same company responsible for the Final Fantasy series, Kingdom Hearts, Chrono trigger, Secret of Mana, the list goes on. It is not a turn based game, but the fighting style resembles that of Kingdom Hearts. It may not be as good as some of these other games, but it certainly deserves recognition.

There's much more in my head, but they're not coming out as I type. I do very much recommend these games to anyone interested in the pertaining genre. But not Mother 3...... Everyone should play Mother 3...... Everyone...

Images of broken light which dance before me like a million eyes;
they call me on and on across the universe.
Thank you, Durpy, for the banner!

rhyme writer

I have played all of those except for Shadow of the Colossus.

Zero Escape series-If you like challenging puzzles with an element of suspense, play these. The first game 9 persons, 9 hours, 9doors is on the DS. The second one, Virtue's last reward is for the PSVITA. They have sprawling story routes and replay is part of the games.

Trace Memory- One of the first games for the DS, this puzzle game really puts the machine through its paces. The storyline is also well written and gives the game a great air of mystery.

Luxe-Pain- another DS game, it has an intriguing storyline, great characters and is all around, a great game. The soundtrack is awesome

Sea Foam

Quote from: rhyme writer on 2013 Feb 21, 21:07:28
Zero Escape series-If you like challenging puzzles with an element of suspense, play these. The first game 9 persons, 9 hours, 9doors is on the DS. The second one, Virtue's last reward is for the PSVITA. They have sprawling story routes and replay is part of the games.

I may have heard of this. Is this the game that bases itself off the Prison Dilemma experiment?

Images of broken light which dance before me like a million eyes;
they call me on and on across the universe.
Thank you, Durpy, for the banner!

FlameandIce

Metriod other M I love this game I actually like Samus's voice I don't mind the fact that she doesn't stop I really like the story I just love this game
now let's all agree to never be creative again thank you Sugercup
http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=8674.msg666435#new
RP idea give me feedback

Stardust Dragon

Quote from: FlameandIce on 2013 Feb 21, 21:29:38
Metriod other M I love this game I actually like Samus's voice I don't mind the fact that she doesn't stop I really like the story I just love this game

I liked the story of Other M as well.  Some people whine about how she wasn't a tough, no nonsense woman all the time, but consider the trauma she's gone through?  Does anyone wanna volunteer to endure her life and THEN act like it doesn't bug you 24/7?

Anyways...I sort of think that the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series is kinda underrated.  I only played MD Blue, but from what I've seen of the sequel games they're also pretty amazing.  Probably more than the original, but I've never played them personally.

KoalaLover99

2013 Feb 22, 05:08:51 #6 Last Edit: 2013 Feb 22, 05:11:02 by KoalaLover99
Sky odyssey [PS2]. It does seem a bit strange putting a flying game (Which I think is why people avoided it) but it is really fun, and tediously difficult. You start off going through a ravine, which seems hard at first but eventually leads you to try to fly through an extreme thunder storm, with lightning paralysing you. I also remember a level where you go through a spring/canyon which looks quite relaxing, to then have an earthquake start and you having to get out before you get crushed by rock :s

Detective Woona

XIII -  Cell-shaded FPS with a great story. They made the ending a cliff hanger with the intent of making a sequel. Never happened.

Genji: Dawn of The Samurai - Absolutely beautiful hack-and-slash game. It had amazing music too.

Bushido Blade - Best fighting game I ever played. The sequel was meh, but the first one is exceptional. 
Steam Name: The Bird Lion
MC Name: Stalwart_Shield

Mmmm, quite.

super_chris85

I loved Bushido Blade

I would have to say Sonic Shuffle- I liked playing it. It went under because people were thinking it was just another rip off of Mario party the mini-games were hard as heck to win but they were fun

Night Pony

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

FlameandIce

2013 Feb 23, 08:01:13 #10 Last Edit: 2013 Feb 23, 08:04:34 by FlameandIce
Shadow of destiny for the playstaion 2 this game is a great Gem and I really don't know anypony who knows this game
Spoiler: show
now let's all agree to never be creative again thank you Sugercup
http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=8674.msg666435#new
RP idea give me feedback

rhyme writer

Yes, Virtue's Last Reward uses the Prisoners' Dilemma.

I think Gravity Rush didn't get much notice. It has its fans, but it's a beautifully made game.

Other M made me really happy. I was nervous when Nintendo had Team Ninja make a a Metroid game because Retro Studios kinda dissolved. But the cutscene finishers for enemies and bosses did make Samus look like a total bad *squee*. Though the final Ri-I mean space dragon battle was actually endless if you didn't use the finishing move.

Sonic Shuffle was the party game of my childhood. And the opening theme song was and has been one of my favorite video game songs.

I don't think that Infinite Undiscovery got much love either. Its an awesome RPG for the 360

Go Up