Dumb things that annoy you

Started by Zaner-Boy, 2012 Jun 01, 14:30:22

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Sweet Brew on 2016 Jan 09, 03:23:15
America was built to where it in now in only 300 years...
I could see how that'd be hard to believe.

Man, when you really think about it, America is extremely young.

It kind of annoys me when people talk about history like "Ugh, that was, like, 60 years ago. It was so long ago. Get over it already!"
No.
You don't seem to understand.

In terms of history, 50 or 60 years is not long ago at all. It's extremely recent. You know why? Because in 50 or 60 years, the absolute majority of us here will still be alive (barring any unfortunate incidents happening to any of us). We will still be alive, and we will still remember what happened in 2015 and what will happen in 2016.

50, 60, 80, or 100 years is actually very recent history. It may have been quite a while before our time, but it is recent, considering there are still people here today who were alive when that stuff happened, and there are people here today whose parents were alive during that time.

You have to think of history in terms of the people, not the individual years. One lifetime is actually an incredibly short frame of history, even though it's a long time for one of us.

I'm sure there are still some people alive today who were kids during The Great Depression. They'd be in their 70s or 80s now, depending on if they were born in the 20s or 30s.
"That was 80 years ago. It was sooo long ago. Get over it." doesn't change the fact that what they lived through was terrible.

The 1954-1968 American Civil Rights Movement? There are people from both sides of that who are still alive today! You bet they are!

History is a string of human lifetimes, and every lifetime is a very short frame of time in which a lot of things can happen and each human can do and change a lot of things. The repercussions of what happens in that human lifetime will be felt in the generations that follow. Just because it was during your parents' or grandparents' times does not mean it's irrelevant now. Its effects can still be felt today because it has affected what the generations at the time have done, which has led to where we are today. Each event in history is like throwing a rock into a pond - the waves reach out into the future generations through history.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: Sweet Brew on 2016 Jan 09, 03:23:15
America was built to where it in now in only 300 years...
I could see how that'd be hard to believe.

Actually with the exception of electrical technology America has been in the place it is now for over 100 years. So it took much less than 300 to build it up.

Lync Volan

Quote from: Sweet Brew on 2016 Jan 08, 18:21:19
Monster hunter did it well I thought.
The reason your stats boost is because you get better armor, your characters base stats never get any better so using low level gear is like being a low level derp again, in addition there are plenty of different weapons you can use, but they take a lot of skill to use and master, it take a real hardcore fan to master all of them, usually no one can because they're so different.

It's a great game series, you should look it up.
I've already looked up that game series and put the first one on my list to get (though lots of other games have gotten first before it since i'm still collecting 2 to 4 player games for when i have guests)

LostSanity

The Command Board is not "Fun"

It's BS. And Annoying. And Ridiculous.

I can't do it. I lose most of the time. Yes I got some good commands but I'm not doing well at it.

Plus I got beat up quite badly by Wheel Master. I didn't get a Game Over but I wasn't exactly doing well.

I. SUCK. AT. THIS. GAME.

>:O
[shadow=gray,left]I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT REIGNS[/shadow]

The Roman Reigns of the forum

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: LostSanity on 2016 Jan 09, 18:27:36

I can't do it. I lose most of the time. Yes I got some good commands but I'm not doing well at it.

Plus I got beat up quite badly by Wheel Master. I didn't get a Game Over but I wasn't exactly doing well.

I. SUCK. AT. THIS. GAME.

Oh yeah, I always lost at Command Board, too. The only thing I liked it for was getting commands that I couldn't have gotten so easily elsewhere.

Wheel Master... That's the one in Sleeping Beauty's world, right? Uuugh, that one was terrible.

Do you have the command that lets you set a line of mines in front of you? That command is the best. I always used it to set a trap for the enemies running toward me.

Chromastone64

Quote from: LostSanity on 2016 Jan 09, 18:27:36

I. SUCK. AT. THIS. GAME.

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2016 Jan 10, 03:53:28
Oh yeah, I always lost at Command Board, too. The only thing I liked it for was getting commands that I couldn't have gotten so easily elsewhere.

Wheel Master... That's the one in Sleeping Beauty's world, right? Uuugh, that one was terrible.

Do you have the command that lets you set a line of mines in front of you? That command is the best. I always used it to set a trap for the enemies running toward me.

Also, if you're playing Ventus, try to get the Faith command. That's saved me tons of times.
A self-proclaimed "jack-of-all-media-types". I tend to say "freaking" a lot.<br />My OCs: http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=13316.0

Greyscaleisme

I'm not even an adult, and I feel really run down at the end of ever day.. I'm only ever happy when I'm building something, or creating something in general. But noooo, my school is more important than the Photography Portfolio I'm building, more important than the knowledge I'm gaining in architecture and engineering when I'm building things.. Why can't my school have shop classes or home ec, or music of all things?! Uhg. Schools these days only focus on testing, not on learning. *sigh*
'Cause sometimes to stay alive you gotta kill your mind.

Chishio Kunrin

"Why should we bother teaching kids cursive? There's no point. We should just stop."

Very many old documents are written in cursive or in a cursive-like writing style. If kids don't learn cursive, then when they're older, they won't be able to read those documents, and a lot of them are important to our history.

LostSanity

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2016 Jan 10, 03:53:28

Um... Wheel Master is the first boss for Terra. You can't get any Mine commands that early.

:s

Either way I found other ways to win.
[shadow=gray,left]I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT REIGNS[/shadow]

The Roman Reigns of the forum

Kirru

May have been said already..... but...

Swag. (Class > Swag sorry folks!)
Yolo.
Sonic.exe.
#Everything and #Anything.
Today's Radio. *cry* Oh do I wish for better music.
Never managing to make it into the beta weekends. For once I shall!!! *eyes countdown like a hawk* I know about you this time, open beta weekend!!!!!  ovO :/ ovO :/ :D
White Pegasus with a baby or robins egg blue/white mane/tail. Long, not short. and ehhh 20% cooler than Rainbow Dash :P If any would like to give a shot at donating art for me? :D :D

DawnsEmbrace

Quote from: LostSanity on 2016 Jan 10, 18:24:23
Um... Wheel Master is the first boss for Terra. You can't get any Mine commands that early.

:s

Either way I found other ways to win.

You should try playing on Critical, like my brother and I did once.  You will have a heck of a time.
<br />

Nuserame

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2016 Jan 09, 05:29:55
Man, when you really think about it, America is extremely young.

It kind of annoys me when people talk about history like "Ugh, that was, like, 60 years ago. It was so long ago. Get over it already!"
No.
You don't seem to understand.

In terms of history, 50 or 60 years is not long ago at all. It's extremely recent. You know why? Because in 50 or 60 years, the absolute majority of us here will still be alive (barring any unfortunate incidents happening to any of us). We will still be alive, and we will still remember what happened in 2015 and what will happen in 2016.

50, 60, 80, or 100 years is actually very recent history. It may have been quite a while before our time, but it is recent, considering there are still people here today who were alive when that stuff happened, and there are people here today whose parents were alive during that time.

You have to think of history in terms of the people, not the individual years. One lifetime is actually an incredibly short frame of history, even though it's a long time for one of us.

I'm sure there are still some people alive today who were kids during The Great Depression. They'd be in their 70s or 80s now, depending on if they were born in the 20s or 30s.
"That was 80 years ago. It was sooo long ago. Get over it." doesn't change the fact that what they lived through was terrible.

The 1954-1968 American Civil Rights Movement? There are people from both sides of that who are still alive today! You bet they are!

History is a string of human lifetimes, and every lifetime is a very short frame of time in which a lot of things can happen and each human can do and change a lot of things. The repercussions of what happens in that human lifetime will be felt in the generations that follow. Just because it was during your parents' or grandparents' times does not mean it's irrelevant now. Its effects can still be felt today because it has affected what the generations at the time have done, which has led to where we are today. Each event in history is like throwing a rock into a pond - the waves reach out into the future generations through history.

This!

The more you learn of history, the more you realize how absolute its influence is in making today's nations, cultures and societies. Even events that happened thousands of years ago still have repercussions today.

Would be good if more people realized this rather than pass history off as boring and irrelevant to anything.
Slate Grey, my OC! Awesome profile picture by Bakasan94

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2016 Jan 10, 18:10:18
"Why should we bother teaching kids cursive? There's no point. We should just stop."

Very many old documents are written in cursive or in a cursive-like writing style. If kids don't learn cursive, then when they're older, they won't be able to read those documents, and a lot of them are important to our history.

I wrote in cursive until I was like 17. I was the only one. Haven't written in cursive besides signatures since.

Lync Volan

2016 Jan 11, 04:57:02 #17893 Last Edit: 2016 Jan 11, 05:03:34 by Lync Volan
Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2016 Jan 11, 03:00:59
I wrote in cursive until I was like 17. I was the only one. Haven't written in cursive besides signatures since.
i can't even write that way though if i could i'd totally write down names in a bunch of fancy ways

Post Merge

I'm sorta annoyed at myself for not being very active in the fandom lately, i mean i still talk to my friends i made in it on fb and stuff but i haven't talked much about it for at least somewhere around last year and when i'm on this website i only use 2 of the threads really

Pipkin

-10°C with over a foot of snow and I still don't have much money for winter essentials.  My coat has holes in it and needs replacing.  No mitts, boots or hat.

On a related note, both my ears are now infected, so tomorrow I have to bus to the doctor and get those disgusting drops I hate putting in my ears.

Related note-My dad has my car for the week because I didn't expect to have to drive anywhere this week.  Fun times.

Greyscaleisme

Why do I keep on losing the will to continue in life? I go through two-four week long periods of major depression, followed by points where I am probably the most hyper/fun person ever.. Stupid hormone/chemical imbalances.
'Cause sometimes to stay alive you gotta kill your mind.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Greyscaleisme on 2016 Jan 12, 23:13:41
Why do I keep on losing the will to continue in life? I go through two-four week long periods of major depression, followed by points where I am probably the most hyper/fun person ever.. Stupid hormone/chemical imbalances.

From depressed to hyper?
I wonder if you have manic depression.

Midnight Breeze

I believe that's called adolescence.

Howitzer

From what I learned in Psychology, that sounds a lot like the symptoms of Bipolar Disorder.
LoE not working as it should? Submit bugs here: http://phabricator.legendsofequestria.com/maniphest/task/edit/form/1/
------->  Jurassic Systems <-----------

Lync Volan

2016 Jan 13, 23:14:47 #17899 Last Edit: 2016 Jan 14, 05:16:55 by Lync Volan
Ugh! someone tried to hang the Guitar on top of the tv in my room!
why would someone want to remind me of my constant failure for and even after my mom took ownership of it >:/!

Post Merge

This one isn't such a big deal but i just noticed one of my online besties & two of my favorite cousins seem to love those Koren Dramas & music videos, all 3 of them are recommending dramas & songs and i can't seem to say no even though i prefer to DD:

Go Up