living on other planets? questions on how space works, ask me

Started by hyper drive [HD], 2012 Sep 18, 22:47:33

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

hyper drive [HD]

2012 Sep 18, 22:47:33 Last Edit: 2012 Sep 18, 22:49:46 by hyper drive [HD]
i strongly think we will live on other planets. as we are starting here on earth testing biospheres. to live on other planets. you can look up the biospheres and what they do. i i was correct the first biosphere has failed but the 2 others where an success. this is a basic outline of my theories. using mars as an example planet. sorry but i needed to share this with someone.

here is the start of the mars base operation. as you can see they are using a plastic substance and using it like a biosphere to breath in without there hellments. the substance will keep radiation and other harmful space chemical dangers like made in the suits. and then a general space station to relaunch there space crafts back to earth to collect more materials

this is the stage in witch we start to farm in witch we take the the crops to produce fresh clean and free oxygen and to grow food instead of eating out of tubes. at this point we will be looking for new materials to use in our space exploration and structures on mars.

at this point of time we start to explore new ways to grow and store our food in better faster more efficient way. and we are starting to find more minerals and found new energy source. better technology and more humans on the planet.

at this time we have found new ways to travel and get around for more materials and at this point we start to build larger structures to hold more of the earths population.

we have now built single podded cities and have used up 65% of mars surface area.

at this time we have used up 95% of mars surface area. and have built cities big enough and streets with domes over the streets so we could breath and at this time we have started making the human race inhabit more and more planets.

just a little theory.   if you have any problems or concerns leave a message

Lary

The only problem with Mars is that the atmosphere isn't thick enough to hold the oxygen and carbon dioxide we, and in turn plants, need to live. The soil is proper, water can exist, and temperatures aren't half bad (will be even better when a stable atmosphere can be inserted).
Could've been something great. But ya' blew it... Ya' blew it.

hyper drive [HD]

Quote from: Lary on 2012 Sep 20, 07:27:30
The only problem with Mars is that the atmosphere isn't thick enough to hold the oxygen and carbon dioxide we, and in turn plants, need to live. The soil is proper, water can exist, and temperatures aren't half bad (will be even better when a stable atmosphere can be inserted).
that is the idea of the biospheres

Book Smarts

We need to find some kind of water source on Mars , we can't export water from earth, it would strain our fresh supply, that's my only problem with colonizing mars :l

hyper drive [HD]

Quote from: Book Smarts on 2012 Sep 21, 11:06:59
We need to find some kind of water source on Mars , we can't export water from earth, it would strain our fresh supply, that's my only problem with colonizing mars :l
well there have been signs of a past life on mars because on its surface it has crevasses from where water use to be just like earth. and they have discovered a puddle of frozen water on mars with there newest land rover ^-^

Zygrograxgra

...make a machine that combines H2 and O?
Use that for a bit, put the water out there, and you likely won't need to do it again. Repeat for each planet you'll colonize.

I say we should focus less on spreading our species across the galaxy and just keep a few planets at most unless we REALLY need to.
We won't be going to other systems with FTL or anything close to it, that I can guarantee. You'll likely disintegrate the ship, and if it collides with ANYTHING you'll have a sizable explosion.
Where I learned this: http://what-if.xkcd.com/1/
Yes, the content in that link is perfectly fine, I double checked.
Ironically, it would probably be safer to mess with spacetime than to do FTL.

Now here comes other intelligent life. It will likely be at or past the point we are in technology by then, and thus going to war with them would be a bad idea. They too would likely understand that, and would likely either ignore us or try to form an alliance of some sort, or at least stay neutral and trade.

I'll post more later when it comes to me.

Titanium Mushrooms
Are you happy yet?!

Lary

Quote from: Zygrograxgra on 2012 Sep 21, 18:05:03
I say we should focus less on spreading our species across the galaxy and just keep a few planets at most unless we REALLY need to.

At the rate this generation is making babies populating (and increasing with each generation...), we're gonna need it.
Could've been something great. But ya' blew it... Ya' blew it.

hyper drive [HD]

Quote from: Zygrograxgra on 2012 Sep 21, 18:05:03
...make a machine that combines H2 and O?
Use that for a bit, put the water out there, and you likely won't need to do it again. Repeat for each planet you'll colonize.

We won't be going to other systems with FTL or anything close to it, that I can guarantee. You'll likely disintegrate the ship, and if it collides with ANYTHING you'll have a sizable explosion.
Where I learned this: http://what-if.xkcd.com/1/
Yes, the content in that link is perfectly fine, I double checked.
Ironically, it would probably be safer to mess with spacetime than to do FTL.

Now here comes other intelligent life. It will likely be at or past the point we are in technology by then, and thus going to war with them would be a bad idea. They too would likely understand that, and would likely either ignore us or try to form an alliance of some sort, or at least stay neutral and trade.

I'll post more later when it comes to me.
there is a flau in your pose. if your in the goldi lox zone it might work but planets to close will evaporate the water making steam but we already can use steam fdr other reasons and for planet to far it will just freeze up

The Wandering Magus

...you know what, how about you all just go read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming_of_Mars
and this: http://www.howstuffworks.com/terraforming.htm

all the technical stuff there.  plus stuff on feasability, cost, etc etc.  And you can also use nanotechnology, preferably self-replicating sorts.
(sorry Bakasan, chose this image)
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636
my art: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=298
visiting soldier sister, be back 8/12/2013

Flinckie

There are some technological advancements we must make before this becomes feasible, but this topic interests me a lot.

The first thing we need to take care of is transportation, since we can't colonize anything that's 8-9 months away. We need more efficient and less expensive rocket fuel. The solution has been staring us in the face for decades, but nobody wants to do it because it has a bad reputation. Of course I'm talking about nuclear propulsion. It's been estimated that we can cut the traveling time to Mars all the way down to just a few weeks, which is a lot more practical. Before someone makes this happen, we're probably not even going to manage to construct a base on the Moon. That's an important thing to note, too. We could use a lunar base as a docking station, so we could launch big spacecraft from there, where there's less gravity and no atmosphere to escape from. Imagine that, we could construct a big space rocket on Earth, launch it, and then it would never enter the atmosphere of Earth again.

Another thing that needs to be addressed is that a base on Mars would be a lot like a research station on Antarctica. That is, more or less completely dependent on Earth for supplies. But it would be a lot more isolated due to the restrictions of the speed of light. The lowest possible distance between the Earth and Mars is roughly 4 light-minutes, and 20 light-minutes at most. This means that if you wanted to access an Earth-based website on the Internet, you would need to wait until the signal travels to Earth and back, which would mean a wait from 8 - 40 minutes, depending on where the Earth is. Not to mention that there would be no Internet access at all while the Earth is behind the Sun unless there's a relay somewhere, which would mean an even longer wait than 40 minutes. Same goes for all communications. Text-chats with your family would have this kind of lag.

Let's not forget the health-hazards of prolonged exposure to low-gravity. The human body will lose muscle and bone tissue. The only real way to prevent this is exercise, exercise and exercise. You would also have to watch your blood pressure constantly, since it would go up. The health problems would apply to plants, too. Growing plants, even in light houses would take many adjustments. For example, the sunlight is not nearly as intense on Mars as it is on Earth, so you would have to keep artificial light going constantly, which takes a lot of energy. Another possible solution is specially-bred or even biologically engineered plants for low-gravity and low-solar exposure.

The possibility of large-scale terraforming is not really available, since it would take tens of thousands of years.

It would be very wise to make a base on the Moon before Mars, if only to gather experience on off-world settlements.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on anything, since my knowledge on this is mostly self-taught.
Somewhat a musician.

ChocolateRain

Quote from: Lary on 2012 Sep 24, 07:52:14
At the rate this generation is making babies populating (and increasing with each generation...), we're gonna need it.

I don't think moving into space can ever be solution for overpopulation as you would need to get a huge part of earths population of the planet soon. A nice article on this problem can be found here (actually it's about getting everyone off earth, but I think that doesn't differ that much): http://what-if.xkcd.com/7/

All work and no candy makes Choco a dull colt!
deviantArt

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: Flinckie on 2012 Oct 02, 15:02:57
There are some technological advancements we must make before this becomes feasible, but this topic interests me a lot.

The first thing we need to take care of is transportation, since we can't colonize anything that's 8-9 months away. We need more efficient and less expensive rocket fuel. The solution has been staring us in the face for decades, but nobody wants to do it because it has a bad reputation. Of course I'm talking about nuclear propulsion. It's been estimated that we can cut the traveling time to Mars all the way down to just a few weeks, which is a lot more practical. Before someone makes this happen, we're probably not even going to manage to construct a base on the Moon. That's an important thing to note, too. We could use a lunar base as a docking station, so we could launch big spacecraft from there, where there's less gravity and no atmosphere to escape from. Imagine that, we could construct a big space rocket on Earth, launch it, and then it would never enter the atmosphere of Earth again.

Another thing that needs to be addressed is that a base on Mars would be a lot like a research station on Antarctica. That is, more or less completely dependent on Earth for supplies. But it would be a lot more isolated due to the restrictions of the speed of light. The lowest possible distance between the Earth and Mars is roughly 4 light-minutes, and 20 light-minutes at most. This means that if you wanted to access an Earth-based website on the Internet, you would need to wait until the signal travels to Earth and back, which would mean a wait from 8 - 40 minutes, depending on where the Earth is. Not to mention that there would be no Internet access at all while the Earth is behind the Sun unless there's a relay somewhere, which would mean an even longer wait than 40 minutes. Same goes for all communications. Text-chats with your family would have this kind of lag.

Let's not forget the health-hazards of prolonged exposure to low-gravity. The human body will lose muscle and bone tissue. The only real way to prevent this is exercise, exercise and exercise. You would also have to watch your blood pressure constantly, since it would go up. The health problems would apply to plants, too. Growing plants, even in light houses would take many adjustments. For example, the sunlight is not nearly as intense on Mars as it is on Earth, so you would have to keep artificial light going constantly, which takes a lot of energy. Another possible solution is specially-bred or even biologically engineered plants for low-gravity and low-solar exposure.

The possibility of large-scale terraforming is not really available, since it would take tens of thousands of years.

It would be very wise to make a base on the Moon before Mars, if only to gather experience on off-world settlements.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on anything, since my knowledge on this is mostly self-taught.
getting off the earth: Space Elevator
energy: solar/fusion
transportation: variable ion engine aka VASIMR (nuclear propulsion would never get approved by the international committee)
communication: entangled particles
low gravity: centripetal acceleration
food: genetic engineering
oxygen: genetic engineering, decomposition of oxygen-containing compounds (common enough within the system at least)

terraforming: theoretically possible within a timeframe of 50 years, actually, given correct conditions.  See Living Universe Society.
(sorry Bakasan, chose this image)
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636
my art: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=298
visiting soldier sister, be back 8/12/2013

Go Up