Having weird YouTube issues (need technical help)

Started by LostSanity, 2016 Feb 06, 15:28:58

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

LostSanity

I didn't know where else to post this and I don't know where the best place to ask is. I asked on the YouTube support a couple of minutes ago. If this is the incorrect area please move it to the correct area. Thank you.

Starting yesterday I've been having youtube video speed issues. It won't even go about 1,000kbps on the 'stats to nerds' information when it used to go way above that sometimes to even the 10,000kbps range. I have having this issue on both wired and wireless connections. I am using FireFox.

I don't want to use another browser because I like FireFox and it wasn't happening before. I tried doing a speed test and it seems to be perfectly fine. I also called my ISP and they weren't able to help me and just told me it wasn't from my end.

I tried clearing my cache and cookies and that didn't work either.

I'm really not sure what other information I need to give. All I can say is that YouTube is loading really slow for me on all quality settings and it wasn't happening before.

I'm just trying to see if anyone else here is having this issue and if not, if someone could please help me fix this issue.

I'd really appreciate any help with this.

Thank you.
[shadow=gray,left]I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT REIGNS[/shadow]

The Roman Reigns of the forum

Jcfraven

I know you mentioned that you don't want to use another browser(though personally I must question why you keep using Firefox), but can you try Google Chrome and see if you experience a similar problem?

If you do, then it could be your computer or network, though if it's network, I can't help much, as I'm not too good on networking.

If not, then perhaps there's something that's gone amiss with your Firefox installation. You could do one of these:
-If you do want to keep a similar experience, try installing Waterfox. Waterfox is simply a 64-bit version of Firefox, allowing it to utilize more resources of your computer if need be. Waterfox tends to work better with certain things, so perhaps that would help.
-If you really want to stick to just Firefox, try uninstalling and reinstalling default, or wiping modifications made to it(set it to default).

I'll be here to help you the best I can.

LostSanity

I tried doing it but it was giving me a 2-5 hour install time. So I cancelled it.

Since you said you don't know anything about networking I guess I'm screwed?

Jcfraven

You tried installing Google Chrome and Waterfox and it did that? Strange. I'm not really sure man, try what I said to do with Firefox, and run a Malwarebytes Scan(to see if it's a virus/malware doing something). If those don't work, I can't really help you.

LostSanity

2016 Feb 06, 18:27:50 #4 Last Edit: 2016 Feb 06, 18:57:29 by LostSanity
Then who can help me?

Post Merge

I did a MalwareBytes scan and nothing was detected.

The database was old and I updated the database after the scan was completed and it updated without any problems.

This is seriously weird and I have no idea what's going on or how to fix it.

Jcfraven

Did you run a scan with an updated database? Either way, I suppose it truly isn't malware then.

You could also try Webroot, but I would assume it'll be a similar story(though it is known, at times, to pick things up Malwarebytes doesn't, since it's an Antivirus, not a specialized Anti-Malware).

Did you set your Firefox to default or try to uninstall/reinstall? Also, are you using the YouTube Flash or HTML5(or whatever it was) player?

LostSanity

2016 Feb 06, 19:09:45 #6 Last Edit: 2016 Feb 06, 19:16:29 by LostSanity
I didn't do the scan with the updated database.

Also, like I said, it happens on wired connection too so I don't really see the point on doing it on both computers.

I tried downloading something with the FireFox DownloadThemAll plugin and it downloaded normally.

I don't know what YouTube player I'm using because I can't tell the difference. I never messed with the YouTube player so I don't know the answer to that.

I haven't tried the FireFox reset but I've already had to do that once before. Do I really have to do it again?

EDIT: I right clicked on a YouTube video and at the bottom it says "About the HTML5 Player" so I'm assuming it's that one.

Jcfraven

If it comes down to it, a reset might be necessary.

When it comes to the player, if you've never messed with it, it's likely flash. Go to https://www.youtube.com/html5 first, and see if activating that player fixes the speed issues, before trying what I said. If it happens with downloads as well though, it could just be your browser being strange.

Also, did you mean downthemall? I'm reading into it, that may be another issue, but I'm not sure. Webroot could probably tell you if it's actually causing a problem though.

LostSanity

Yes sorry. It's DownThemAll. I've had it for a really long time and never had YouTube problems while I've had it ever.

I clicked that link and it has a checkmark next to "The HTML5 player is currently used when possible."

I am making this post from my wired connection. I use my wireless mostly. I check it again on wired connection and it is still occurring.

Jcfraven

Downthemall is apparently associated with a bunch of problems, but if you've never had any, maybe it's been modified since then.

Try using flash then(uncheck the HTML5 player). If that doesn't work, you may want to just try a reset of Firefox(or get a better browser :p).

LostSanity

2016 Feb 06, 20:02:05 #10 Last Edit: 2016 Feb 06, 20:14:36 by LostSanity
I've never had issues with FireFox and I happen to like FireFox thank you very much.

I don't see how I'm supposed to "get a better browser" when I can't even seem to do that.

Also I can't take away the checkmark I'm clicking the checkmark and nothing happens.

Post Merge

UPDATE:

I just tried YouTube on Internet Explorer on my wired connection and the same issue occurs. Now what?

Jcfraven

Quote from: LostSanity on 2016 Feb 06, 20:02:05
I've never had issues with FireFox and I happen to like FireFox thank you very much.

I don't see how I'm supposed to "get a better browser" when I can't even seem to do that.

Also I can't take away the checkmark I'm clicking the checkmark and nothing happens.

Post Merge

UPDATE:

I just tried YouTube on Internet Explorer on my wired connection and the same issue occurs. Now what?

My suggestion was a joke, but I did forget about the fact that even if you were to heed my advice, it wouldn't have worked. If it happens on Internet Explorer as well, then it must be your connection, or something weird on your computer(that may or may not be a virus, you can try running a Webroot scan if you can somehow acquire/download it). I'm not a network guy though, so I may not have anything else useful to tell you.

Also, it's strange you can't disable HTML5 Player, don't know what to tell you. It used to be optional, thought it still was(it might be, but somewhere in Youtube settings, no clue). Sorry that I can't be of more help.

LostSanity

2016 Feb 07, 11:38:45 #12 Last Edit: 2016 Feb 08, 13:16:28 by LostSanity
Then I guess I'm screwed. This is ridiculous.

:l

Post Merge

I don't see how it can be a virus when it is happening on both my computers/connections.

Post Merge

Here's something I've noticed.

If I leave the quality at Auto it seems to be okay as long as I let it load for a couple of minutes (which I never used to have to do) however when I attempt to increase the quality it goes back to being a snail.

Does this help at all? I'm assuming no.

Jcfraven

2016 Feb 08, 13:26:10 #13 Last Edit: 2016 Feb 08, 16:27:47 by Jcfraven
If I had something helpful, I'd tell you, but I honestly don't. As I said, not really a network guy, and it seems that's probably the issue.

One thing I can suggest, is go into your router settings, and do a reset of it software-wise(since I assume you've already tried it hardware-wise). I don't know the specifics here, but if you tell me your router/ISP, I could try to find the specifics.

LostSanity

2016 Feb 08, 18:04:55 #14 Last Edit: 2016 Feb 08, 18:21:58 by LostSanity
Quote from: Jcfraven on 2016 Feb 08, 13:26:10
If I had something helpful, I'd tell you, but I honestly don't. As I said, not really a network guy, and it seems that's probably the issue.

One thing I can suggest, is go into your router settings, and do a reset of it software-wise(since I assume you've already tried it hardware-wise). I don't know the specifics here, but if you tell me your router/ISP, I could try to find the specifics.

I think I already tried that. My ISP tried then when I complained about the issue to them enough for them to send a technician out.

They stated that it is not an issue on their end. They tried restoring my modem to factory settings and even swapped it with a new modem.

It still didn't work.

But to answer your question, according to my ISP it's a router/modem in one. An Arris TG1672 and my ISP is Time Warner Cable.

Jcfraven

I've heard a lot about Time Warner Cable regarding throttling, though if you hadn't had issues up until now, than it's still possible, but admittedly unlikely.

That's about all I can really offer explanation-wise though, since your description in the OP does bear a resemblance to what would be the case there. You could attempt a VPN Connection, if you have the means to download a file elsewhere and put it on your computer, but I'm not sure if that would do anything. You did mention two computers it's being strange on though, so that might yield a solution.

After this, I'm fresh out of ideas, since you have said they've done a complete refresh, reboot, etc.. Maybe just having them look at it will be what you need to do.

LostSanity

Quote from: Jcfraven on 2016 Feb 08, 18:30:57
I've heard a lot about Time Warner Cable regarding throttling, though if you hadn't had issues up until now, than it's still possible, but admittedly unlikely.

That's about all I can really offer explanation-wise though, since your description in the OP does bear a resemblance to what would be the case there. You could attempt a VPN Connection, if you have the means to download a file elsewhere and put it on your computer, but I'm not sure if that would do anything. You did mention two computers it's being strange on though, so that might yield a solution.

After this, I'm fresh out of ideas, since you have said they've done a complete refresh, reboot, etc.. Maybe just having them look at it will be what you need to do.

A technician from my ISP came to my house yesterday and said it wasn't an issue on their end.

Jcfraven

Well, it's not an "Issue" to them if they are doing it. To them it's normal, standard business. They wouldn't tell you they're throttling it, if that was the case.

LostSanity

2016 Feb 09, 12:40:03 #18 Last Edit: 2016 Feb 09, 15:45:52 by LostSanity
Well it wasn't happening before so I really don't see why it's happening now.

I guess I'm SOL thanks for trying though.

:'(

Post Merge

Okay so without me doing anything it has 'somewhat' returned to normal.

I was getting great speeds today after I came home from work and just tested it again now and I'm getting around 3000kbps which isn't 'amazing' and wasn't what I was getting this morning but it's better than what I was getting and I can switch qualities again.

About all I can say is that either it was some sort of ISP issue that my ISP didn't want to admit to me or it was somehow fixed by the CCleaner cleaning I did yesterday.

I have no idea how it was fixed honestly.

I do CCleaner stuff once a week. Is that good enough or should I do it once a day? That seems a little too much though...

Go Up