Dumb things that annoy you

Started by Zaner-Boy, 2012 Jun 01, 14:30:22

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Thunder Spin

Don't get me wrong on this, I don't hate Americans (they're half-Europians after all) but I can't stand hearing an English word being spelled in another way. Why can't they just spell the word the correct way? I know that maybe they want to be unique, but sometimes, it's really annoying. I don't care about the fact that they seem to hate the letter "U" tho.

I also don't hate French people, I am even learning French this year. But, French people look racist to me. When I visited France, I only knew a few French words so I spoke English to them. "But nobody came" . Only a little amount of the people there talked to us in English. Why? Nobody will laugh at them because they are giving us directions! And the worse fact is that many people in that country do speak English. And I didn't only visit Paris!

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: Thundergirl on 2017 Oct 21, 02:32:04I don't hate Americans (they're half-Europians after all)

Uhhh, I'm trying to find a way to word this that doesn't sound provocative but... you realize that's a pretty ethnocentric thing to say. Over 1/3 Americans aren't even white, and regardless of ancestry most Americans have no connection to their ancestral culture anyway.

I'm kinda curious what the other half of 'Half-European' is.  :s

Thunder Spin

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2017 Oct 21, 03:15:03Uhhh, I'm trying to find a way to word this that doesn't sound provocative but... you realize that's a pretty ethnocentric thing to say. Over 1/3 Americans aren't even white, and regardless of ancestry most Americans have no connection to their ancestral culture anyway.

I'm kinda curious what the other half of 'Half-European' is.  :s

Half of the population of America is half-European right? "Indian" people were it's real residents, but some people from Europe went to the USA in the 17th century I think (not gonna open my History book)

Ferro_the_King

Quote from: Thundergirl on 2017 Oct 21, 02:32:04When I visited France, I only knew a few French words so I spoke English to them. "But nobody came" . Only a little amount of the people there talked to us in English. Why?

They're not racist, they are nationalistic. A lot of French people speak either English or German, but they usually don't want to. It has to do with their nation's pride and some historical grievances (100-years war, WWII and so on...).
I actually was in France, when I was a kid and since I only spoke English and a little bit German by that time, they didn't wanted to speak to me at all. I had to start every conversation with a phrase "Excuse my bad English, I am from Czech republic". Then they actually would speak to me in English without any problem lol
Excuse my English, it tends to misbehave...

Thunder Spin

Quote from: Ferro_the_King on 2017 Oct 21, 10:58:01They're not racist, they are nationalistic. A lot of French people speak either English or German, but they usually don't want to. It has to do with their nation's pride and some historical grievances (100-years war, WWII and so on...).
I actually was in France, when I was a kid and since I only spoke English and a little bit German by that time, they didn't wanted to speak to me at all. I had to start every conversation with a phrase "Excuse my bad English, I am from Czech republic". Then they actually would speak to me in English without any problem lol

Τhat's what I mean, you have to pray to some of them to speak English to you and give you directions lol . They do know English and some of them speak it very well, but they don't want to talk English to you idk why.

Ferro_the_King

That people change. And sometimes all it takes is a month of well-paid job in a bank to turn a perfect pegasister into pony-hater. So much that she even doesn't speak to you anymore, because "She would be a laughing stock of whole company, if someone found out"...      :c

Night Striker

Quote from: Ferro_the_King on 2017 Oct 22, 21:39:06That people change. And sometimes all it takes is a month of well-paid job in a bank to turn a perfect pegasister into pony-hater. So much that she even doesn't speak to you anymore, because "She would be a laughing stock of whole company, if someone found out"...      :c

On the flip side, you could argue the fact that people can at least change for the better, like getting rid of bad, addicting habits, so people changing isn't always bad ^-^

While I may not be part of LoE staff, I always try to help others who might have problems in LoE the best I can because I want others to share my enjoyment of the game. ^-^

Want to be in a herd? PM to get more details to join the NLR!

Thunder Spin

Quote from: Ferro_the_King on 2017 Oct 22, 21:39:06That people change. And sometimes all it takes is a month of well-paid job in a bank to turn a perfect pegasister into pony-hater. So much that she even doesn't speak to you anymore, because "She would be a laughing stock of whole company, if someone found out"...      :c

Indeed, the good news is that my cousin who went to Toulouse said that now people do speak English to her and are even glad to give her directions :) . Also I think I started 'sharing' a hate-love relationship with a video game I'm playing because it's fandom ruined the mystery of some characters and maybe the game itself.

Midnight Breeze

I suck at my job big time. Really, I do. I'm having trouble learning at a decent pace because, to put it bluntly, it doesn't interest me.

I work in electronic warfare, and no it's not anywhere near as cool as it sounds. I'm a mechanic, I maintain and repair radar jammers for jets. I'm six months into my apprenticeship and I still feel lost. Any time I try to sit down to study the material I feel braindead, it's not easy to absorb information that I'm not interested in.

I have my written exam coming up in a 6 weeks. I'm not worried that I'll fail it since they make it almost impossible to do so. I'll be given an oral exam in a few weeks and if I don't perform well on that I'll be put on mandatory study and forced to reread the material until I can pass, but what I'm most worried about is what comes after. Once I become a journeyman I'll be expected to work on my own without guidance. That scares me to death. I really don't want to be 'that guy' whom everyone else has to save from himself and pick up the slack for his incompetence.

Admittedly I have a bit of an inferiority complex. I have a history of underestimating my own ability and eventually proving myself wrong, but this is new territory. I realized I've never had a job before where I've had to actually think on my feet and use my own judgement. At every job I've ever had I've had people tell me what to do and I just did it, no real responsibility involved. Here I have a real potential to jack something up if I'm not careful.

Well uh, just 4 and a half more years and I can cross train out, eh? Assuming I can make it that long before getting kicked out for gross inaptitude.

Howitzer

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2017 Oct 23, 10:05:29I suck at my job big time. Really, I do. I'm having trouble learning at a decent pace because, to put it bluntly, it doesn't interest me.

I work in electronic warfare, and no it's not anywhere near as cool as it sounds. I'm a mechanic, I maintain and repair radar jammers for jets. I'm six months into my apprenticeship and I still feel lost. Any time I try to sit down to study the material I feel braindead, it's not easy to absorb information that I'm not interested in.

I have my written exam coming up in a 6 weeks. I'm not worried that I'll fail it since they make it almost impossible to do so. I'll be given an oral exam in a few weeks and if I don't perform well on that I'll be put on mandatory study and forced to reread the material until I can pass, but what I'm most worried about is what comes after. Once I become a journeyman I'll be expected to work on my own without guidance. That scares me to death. I really don't want to be 'that guy' whom everyone else has to save from himself and pick up the slack for his incompetence.

Admittedly I have a bit of an inferiority complex. I have a history of underestimating my own ability and eventually proving myself wrong, but this is new territory. I realized I've never had a job before where I've had to actually think on my feet and use my own judgement. At every job I've ever had I've had people tell me what to do and I just did it, no real responsibility involved. Here I have a real potential to jack something up if I'm not careful.

Well uh, just 4 and a half more years and I can cross train out, eh? Assuming I can make it that long before getting kicked out for gross inaptitude.

I'm starting to feel the same way about my programming classes. I will sit in lecture and understand the logic behind the concepts that the instructor teaches, but as soon as he says "Now show me how to do it" I just sit there and cannot get as much as a thought out about how to actually accomplish it in practice. I feel like these things will come to me in time, but time isn't something I have right now.
LoE not working as it should? Submit bugs here: http://phabricator.legendsofequestria.com/maniphest/task/edit/form/1/
------->  Jurassic Systems <-----------

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: Howitzer on 2017 Oct 25, 15:48:47I'm starting to feel the same way about my programming classes. I will sit in lecture and understand the logic behind the concepts that the instructor teaches, but as soon as he says "Now show me how to do it" I just sit there and cannot get as much as a thought out about how to actually accomplish it in practice. I feel like these things will come to me in time, but time isn't something I have right now.

I think for me it's more of a compatibility issue than anything. Weaponry isn't really my thing, I want to do something more practical rather than destructive.

I guess I'm just still a bit butthurt because I didn't get the job I wanted. I was supposed to be a space systems operator. That would have been a dream come true for me. I'd have been stationed near Denver, Colorado permanently and never deployed. While there I could have studied astronomy at the University of Colorado while simultaneously learning and getting experience in space tech through my job. By the time all was said and done I could have had a master's in astronomy and an associates in air and space technology, plus 10+ years of space operations and military leadership experience. With a resume like that I'd have been all but guaranteed a job at NASA when I got out.

Unfortunately, the Air Force giveth and the Air Force taketh away. They decided that I would be more useful to them in combat support...so yeah, they kinda did a switcheroo on me. I'm not angry about it, I understand that the military is not a charity organization and I'm supposed to be doing what's best for the overall mission, not what's best for me, but still...dey tewk mah jawb.

Stardust Dragon

When places you submit job applications for don't respond. Not even to say "no".  I have issues enough feeling ignored, thanks, I don't need you compounding my waking nightmares.  At least if you tell me you're not interested I can move to try something different, but nope, leave me hanging on wondering if today's the day they call back. Gah.

Oh, that and questioning every single thing you do because you don't feel you quite understand it.  Makes life exhausting.

Ferro_the_King

Quote from: Stardust Dragon on 2017 Oct 29, 02:46:29When places you submit job applications for don't respond.

Yeah, I know that one. A few years back (When there was the world-wide crysis) there was an advertisement that the International Airport is hiring security personnel. I was unemployed at the time, so I tried to apply for the job. One day after I sent my CV, they replied that I'm "beeing processed" and should hear from them soon. This was the last time they contacted me. Just a week after that they had new ad in newspapers, so I realized they just don't want me.

It's been 4 years now, there's no crysis and unemployment rate is at its historical minimum. I have a good job at another security branch and... I got an email from the airport, whether I'm still interested in the job and that I could enlist immediately!  lol  lol  lol

Midnight Breeze

When I moved into my new house I was so glad to be able to take baths again. I've been  having to take showers for the past 15 months because I haven't had bathtubs in the various dorms I stayed in.

Unfortunately, my bathroom has a vicious, outdated exhaust fan that roars at what seems like 60+ decibels. I can't even turn it off either because it's on the same switch as the light. Apparently it's some kind of rental law in South Carolina that windowless bathrooms on rental properties are required to have an exhaust fan active at all times during use to prevent mold growth.

Nooooo, South Carolina, how could you? You've stolen my somber bathtub relaxation time.

Pipkin

I forgot this topic existed...
What's been annoying me, where do I start
Trying to get Saturdays off for nearly 3 months so I can do DnD without sleeping for only 2 hours, doing a 6 hour session, then 10 hours at work, only to not only be denied the day off, but to see our newly hired night lead has been getting them off every week despite my 9 month seniority over him (Only 9 months at this job and i'm already the senior employee...)

I'm in constant pain, to the point I need to take 2 advil every 4 hours to keep it manageable.  Been like that for a month and a half now.  Apparently my benefits don't cover restorative dental so I cant get my cavities filled.  Apparently they said I set them up like that.  You think if I had the option to set up dental benefits, do you think I would?
I also think my wisdom teeth are causing this excessive pain.  Again, this isn't covered by my benefits or oddly enough, even the canadian health plan...

I think my car is burning oil, pan ran dry for the second time this year

Working night shift is bad, nights off are worse.  You literally sit around and do nothing all night.

I'm sure I have more, i'm too exhausted to remember them all.

Midnight Breeze

This tendency people have, particularly on the internet, to use abbreviations and shortenings of longer words that completely change the meaning. I get the appeal of wanting to shorten lengthy words, but you have to take etymology into consideration to avoid changing the word completely.

A good example is 'androgynous' which is often shortened to just 'andro'. The word androgenous is a combination of the greek terms 'andr' meaning male and 'gyne' meaning woman. So androgynous pretty much litterally means 'Both masculine and feminine'. When you shorten it to just 'andro' you remove the female term entirely, so when you say that something is "andro", you are saying that it is distinctly masuline, which obviously isn't what you mean. It's like shortening 'black and white' to just 'black', it makes no sense.

Same thing with 'anthropomorphic'. Anthropomorphism is the act of assigning human characteristics to non-human things. 'Anthro' meaning human and 'morph' meaning to change or alter. When you shorten it to just 'anthro' then that's just human. It loses all connection with changing or altering anything in a human fashion, it's just humans.

Now, I'm normally not one to harp on grammar too much, but if you say "I like to draw andro anthros", then you are saying you like to draw this:

Spoiler: show

When you mean you like to draw this:

Spoiler: show

Big difference. I'm just saying.

PoserPanda

I don't like seeing large, red text that covers my entire screen. I like it better whenever it stats in the Local chat.

Sweet Brew

*sigh*
Ever sense they removed the chat this site has been a ghost town.... :s

Stranger Wings

That's why I can't find it, then. I see chat constantly get mentioned in rules, like over and over, but nope. I can't find anything of that sort.
What is left after nuclear explosion? Dust.

Night Striker

People who use swear words constantly. It just bugs me, I'm not sure why.

While I may not be part of LoE staff, I always try to help others who might have problems in LoE the best I can because I want others to share my enjoyment of the game. ^-^

Want to be in a herd? PM to get more details to join the NLR!

Go Up