Cadance and Twilight as the new Celestia and Luna?

Started by dynamite, 2014 Jan 03, 20:11:56

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Night Pony

QuoteWhy all the claims that Twilight only became an alicorn to sell more toys? It was always Lauren Faust's intention that she would someday succeed Celestia. I would have thought that statement would put this nonsense to rest.

Because with the exception of the opening, nothing has changed literally. She is the same pony with the same duties with the same social standing. She is just another pony...only that she isn't.

QuoteAs for people not treating Twilight like a princess, she hasn't been given any official duties yet. Apart from her coronation ceremony and the summer sun celebration (both of which took place in Canterlot) nobody who doesn't already know her is likely to recognize her. It seems as though the old castle in the Everfree Forest is being refurbished by the mane six, so presumably Twilight will move in there at the end of season 4. Perhaps then, in season 5, people will actually recognize her.

Why isn't she tasked with royal duties?  o.O She is an official princess of Equestria. She should be doing royal jobs and stuff like getting a cab shouldn't be a problem. Everypony in Equestria should know her. Why is she and her friends cleaning the castle? Why they need a cab? As a princess she should be command of ponies and should be able to tell them to restore the castle. Also she should have a royal carriage that gives her a lift whenever and to wherever she needs to.

As Dave Polsky mentioned on True Equestria Radio, Twilight isn't really princess of anything at the moment. I expect throughout season 4 we'll see her getting prepared for a new life.

Why isn't she? She did turn into an alicorn. She was officially crowned as a Princess. If she was just going to continue her every day life then why was she made into a princess? Why has she received wings?  o.O

Quote from: dynamite on 2014 Jan 06, 05:50:23
Well I can see Twilight and even Cadance at some point learning how to move the sun and moon and then have responsibilities for changing night and day when say Celestia and Luna are off on a business trip or vacation. Could be an interesting take.

Could but I doubt they have reached the magical power of such thing. Also Princess is a job that has no vacations, so Luna and Celestia being constantly there it just seems pointless for them to take control of the celestial bodies. Also Cadence has enough to worry about with her empire.

On the plus side we can conclude from the reactions of the ponies so far to Twilight that Alicorns is not something unique or restricted to princesses.

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

ArtVeigar

I think we are seeing things a little different here. In my point of view, she hasn't been made an Alicorn to become a princess, but she became a princess because she turned into an Alicorn. I think the alicornization was something Twilight achieved on her own after acquiring enough knowledge, power and, mainly, wisdom. Because being an Alicorn is recognized as being wiser and more powerful, they are made leaders. That's why only by being an Alicorn should be reason enough for her to be more respected in society, even if ponies don't know about her coronation.
So, right now, she has the status of a princess, but because it wasn't something prepared, even if Celestia probably was sure it was going to happen, they actually don't need another princess. Everything is in complete control, and Twilight can live her life normally as she chose to. But that is something that must be only temporary, until Celestia organize her stuff and find a place to put Twilight in the political world of Equestria, and that's what I'm waiting for.
Probably Twilight doesn't have any carriage to take her to places and servants to do things for her just because she doesn't want to. She'd rather fix the castle by herself and with her friends than ask others to do so.

Jinxie Umbra

Quote from: ArtVeigar on 2014 Jan 06, 15:51:32
Probably Twilight doesn't have any carriage to take her to places and servants to do things for her just because she doesn't want to. She'd rather fix the castle by herself and with her friends than ask others to do so.

This is a valid point. Twilight hasn't gotten used to her new status yet and doesn't like being called "Princess Twilight Sparkle" all the time. She certainly would rather do stuff with her friends than order minions around.

Night Pony

2014 Jan 08, 07:06:19 #23 Last Edit: 2014 Jan 08, 07:08:30 by Night Pony
But if they didn't need another princess then her entire coronation was just for show and completely pointless. Why make a new princess when it's not needed?  o.O Is she a backup? A spare tire that is to be used only when one of the main ones blow out?  o.O

She shouldn't need to ask. Celestia should've ordered the restoration rather than telling Twilight to restore the castle.
Didn't she in Equestria girls got used to her new title and role of a leader?  o.O Then the question is why did she accept the princess status if she wasn't going to use it and doesn't like it? Because her teacher wanted it? She could've easily refused to become a princess and continue her life as it was.

Becoming a leader isn't about what you would like to do but what you need to do. Maybe Twilight prefers to do things on her own but it would be best for the entire country if she focused on more important tasks and not cleaning rubble.

ArtVeigar

Quote from: Night Pony on 2014 Jan 08, 07:06:19
But if they didn't need another princess then her entire coronation was just for show and completely pointless. Why make a new princess when it's not needed?  o.O Is she a backup? A spare tire that is to be used only when one of the main ones blow out?  o.O

Because she became an Alicorn. As I've said in my theory, an Alicorn is a being considered to be wise and powerful, and because of that, they are made into leaders. Celestia probably organized Twilight's coronation to show the world that another Alicorn has appeared, to show the world that Twilight is now equal to her and the other two Alicorn princesses. But because Celestia hasn't prepared anything for Twilight yet, she is currently on hold, so you could call her a backup, but I'd rather consider her a new support, who will be put in an important position in the actual government of Equestria or given something to rule soon.

She shouldn't need to ask. Celestia should've ordered the restoration rather than telling Twilight to restore the castle.
Didn't she in Equestria girls got used to her new title and role of a leader?  o.O Then the question is why did she accept the princess status if she wasn't going to use it and doesn't like it? Because her teacher wanted it? She could've easily refused to become a princess and continue her life as it was.

I don't think she doesn't want it, but it took her by surprise. She wasn't ready to take such a responsibility so soon in her life.

Becoming a leader isn't about what you would like to do but what you need to do. Maybe Twilight prefers to do things on her own but it would be best for the entire country if she focused on more important tasks and not cleaning rubble.

As I've said, she is currently on hold while Celestia and Luna prepare her new position and she ready herself to assume it. Meanwhile, there is no problem in occupying her time with activities with her friends, the ones she will miss more after assuming the responsibilities of a leader.

Night Pony

Quote from: ArtVeigar on 2014 Jan 08, 14:29:25
Because she became an Alicorn. As I've said in my theory, an Alicorn is a being considered to be wise and powerful, and because of that, they are made into leaders. Celestia probably organized Twilight's coronation to show the world that another Alicorn has appeared, to show the world that Twilight is now equal to her and the other two Alicorn princesses. But because Celestia hasn't prepared anything for Twilight yet, she is currently on hold, so you could call her a backup, but I'd rather consider her a new support, who will be put in an important position in the actual government of Equestria or given something to rule soon.

The reaction of the ponies or the lack of one towards alicorns disproves your theory. If they are such why are they treating her like a normal pony?  o.O => Alicorns are not so unique and rare as we claim them to be.
Plus Cadence is also recent alicorn and Twilight should not be needed to be made as an example.

ArtVeigar

Quote from: Night Pony on 2014 Jan 08, 14:36:35
The reaction of the ponies or the lack of one towards alicorns disproves your theory. If they are such why are they treating her like a normal pony?  o.O => Alicorns are not so unique and rare as we claim them to be.

Alicorns are as unique and rare as we claim them to be. Otherwise more should be known by now. From what was shown in the season three finale and the Crystal Heart Spell book, you need to do something really special to become an Alicorn. And if they weren't as unique and rare, the writers wouldn't place the only ones known in the highest positions possible. That's another reason Twilight's alicornization seems to be only to sell toys, because she is the only alicorn that doesn't cause any reaction in the overall public. It's like they don't even notice her wings.

Quote from: Night Pony on 2014 Jan 08, 14:36:35
Plus Cadence is also recent alicorn and Twilight should not be needed to be made as an example.

Twilight isn't an example. She is someone who achieved the greatest achievement a pony could achieve and received the highest status a pony can have as a reward.

Night Pony

Quote from: ArtVeigar on 2014 Jan 08, 14:52:05
Alicorns are as unique and rare as we claim them to be. Otherwise more should be known by now. From what was shown in the season three finale and the Crystal Heart Spell book, you need to do something really special to become an Alicorn. And if they weren't as unique and rare, the writers wouldn't place the only ones known in the highest positions possible. That's another reason Twilight's alicornization seems to be only to sell toys, because she is the only alicorn that doesn't cause any reaction in the overall public. It's like they don't even notice her wings.

By that logic there is only one zebra, two griffons, a few mules and the majority of the population of Equestria is female. The fact that the show is focusing on normal ponies in Ponyville doesn't speak for every other place.
Also they were chosen to be the leaders of the nation. The fact that they are alicorns has nothing to do with it. Sombra for example is a prince but is not an alicorn, same with Shining. The leaders of that country that were visiting (I forgot the name, the ones tall as Celestia) neither had wings nor horns.

Or maybe they do notice them but they aren't anything to be worth reaction. Maybe it's like reacting to a pegasi that s/he has wings, a unicorn that s/he has a horn.

ArtVeigar

I said Alicorns are made leaders, but I've never said only Alicorns could be leader. What makes sense if Alicorns are rare and unique. There are less Alicorns than countries and empires to be ruled.

It is possible indeed for more Alicorns to exist, or even be common, but I don't think that, if they were that common, the show wouldn't give such emphasis to Twilight's alicornization and place the only ones known in the most important positions in Equestria. I think the show is trying to make it pretty clear, even if still not a fact, that Alicorns are rare, unique and special. Well, at least they were until the end of the season four premier.

Night Pony

Quote from: ArtVeigar on 2014 Jan 08, 15:23:34
I said Alicorns are made leaders, but I've never said only Alicorns could be leader. What makes sense if Alicorns are rare and unique. There are less Alicorns than countries and empires to be ruled.

Do you have anything to support those claims?

Quote from: ArtVeigar on 2014 Jan 08, 15:23:34It is possible indeed for more Alicorns to exist, or even be common, but I don't think that, if they were that common, the show wouldn't give such emphasis to Twilight's alicornization and place the only ones known in the most important positions in Equestria. I think the show is trying to make it pretty clear, even if still not a fact, that Alicorns are rare, unique and special. Well, at least they were until the end of the season four premier.

Or they were giving emphasis that she grew as a character and such rather than sprouting wings. The rest is just your opinion and headcannon.

ArtVeigar

Quote from: Night Pony on 2014 Jan 08, 15:32:42
Quote from: ArtVeigar on 2014 Jan 08, 15:23:34

Do you have anything to support those claims?

No, I don't. It's a possible conclusion based on my previous assumptions, and all arguments that support this possibility are in my past posts. Sorry if it sounded like I was stating a fact.

Quote from: Night Pony on 2014 Jan 08, 15:32:42
Quote from: ArtVeigar on 2014 Jan 08, 15:23:34It is possible indeed for more Alicorns to exist, or even be common, but I don't think that, if they were that common, the show wouldn't give such emphasis to Twilight's alicornization and place the only ones known in the most important positions in Equestria. I think the show is trying to make it pretty clear, even if still not a fact, that Alicorns are rare, unique and special. Well, at least they were until the end of the season four premier.

Or they were giving emphasis that she grew as a character and such rather than sprouting wings. The rest is just your opinion and headcannon.

And so they decided to make her an Alicorn to give emphasis to her character growth. So, instead of trying to make it clear that Alicorns are rare and unique, they already assumed it was clear. Otherwise, her transformation could be taken as just an everyday thing in Equestria, what would actually take a lot of the emphasis rather than giving.

Night Pony

Quote from: ArtVeigar on 2014 Jan 08, 17:34:23
And so they decided to make her an Alicorn to give emphasis to her character growth. So, instead of trying to make it clear that Alicorns are rare and unique, they already assumed it was clear. Otherwise, her transformation could be taken as just an everyday thing in Equestria, what would actually take a lot of the emphasis rather than giving.

A lot of things could be assumed clear and being a fact but remember that a lot of people denied that alicorns were named alicorns but instead winged pegasi until they actually mentioned it in the show. We may assume something for granted and clear as day but it takes only one episode to change it all of it.

ArtVeigar

Yep, I'm pretty aware of that. But until that moment comes, the moment where something is made canon, we can only assume what is most probable or even what we would like it to be. If there is still a chance for it to be true, than why not? It's fun to disscuss the possibilities either way.

Night Pony

I like to debate on anything regarding alicorns.  :P

ArtVeigar

I just like to debate. It's really amusing to see how others are thinking about the matter, to complete what you've thought with things you might have missed and spot any flaw your idea might have, to make a more solid idea. Even if a conclusion isn't reached, both parts open their minds to new possible conclusions.

It was a nice debate here, and I hope we can keep it going as we get more information about this matter. And even discuss about other things in the near future, too. ^-^

Night Pony

Welp, I got nothing more on this topics to add/debate.  :P

Aerial Perspective

@night pony...I couldn't say that love and friendship are opposites. Friendship is a form of love. But it is an interesting idea. If we say twilight represents selfless love for friends/family Ethos and Cadence is the embodiment of Eros, which is the somewhat more intense, I love you as I love myself connection between lovers and spouses.

In that respect Cadence is the pony of dark, Since Eros needs an infusion of agape or enduring love to not warp into something perverse. Shining armor might be Agape(?) and the way him and Cadence work together makes them very pure and strong.

Ethos is the basic love any relationship is based off of and its friendship in its purest form, It's even to go so far as to selflessly love your enemies  ^-^ so since twilight is the embodiment of the magic of friendship she has to be the pony of light.

philosophy in ponies...gotta love it

ArtVeigar

Quote from: Aerial Perspective on 2014 Jan 11, 13:10:53
@night pony...I couldn't say that love and friendship are opposites. Friendship is a form of love. But it is an interesting idea. If we say twilight represents selfless love for friends/family Ethos and Cadence is the embodiment of Eros, which is the somewhat more intense, I love you as I love myself connection between lovers and spouses.

In that respect Cadence is the pony of dark, Since Eros needs an infusion of agape or enduring love to not warp into something perverse. Shining armor might be Agape(?) and the way him and Cadence work together makes them very pure and strong.

Ethos is the basic love any relationship is based off of and its friendship in its purest form, It's even to go so far as to selflessly love your enemies  ^-^ so since twilight is the embodiment of the magic of friendship she has to be the pony of light.

philosophy in ponies...gotta love it

I guess these descriptions fits better Cadence as Ethos and Chrysallis as Eros, as Chrysallis desires the love so much that she tried to get it forcefully, while Cadence, in the "Crystal Heart Spell" book, is said to have converted a witch into somepony good with her love.

WalterWrap2000

Well, as of the Season Four finale, I think you people have gotten your answers. ^-^
"We have a happy Spring, and Summer, and Fall. Can't Winter be happy too?" -Snowdrop

*crying forcefully* "Yes, Snowdrop. Yes it can." -Walter Wrap

Go Up