Struggles

Started by SerenityFaithful(SammyElise88), 2015 May 11, 19:37:40

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

SerenityFaithful(SammyElise88)

I've been a Brony for about a year or so, and my family has just found out. :c 
The problem is they won't stop teasing me about it, especially my little brother. They keep calling it a kids show, though it was original intended to be one (obviously) they just don't get the fact that there might be something good about the show if teens and some adults watch it. :facehoof:
Does anyone know how to deal with this? I'm just about ready to pound them!  >:O
Check out my deviantart!:  http://thequirkygamer.deviantart.com/ it's not much, but doesn't hurt to look!

Night Pony

Yeah just igjlnore it. They just found a new thing to tease you with and have fun. They will most likely continue until it gets boring or you stop reacting.

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

Chishio Kunrin

MLP:FiM is family entertainment, not strictly children's entertainment. This means that it's aimed at everyone. It's made in a way where there are things that teens and adults can enjoy, and even jokes that only teens and adults will understand that may have some humor to children.

Your family most likely thinks MLP:FiM is like Generation 3, which was truly aimed at strictly children and was actually pretty terrible. G3 had pretty much no actual conflict, was super overwhelmingly girly, and the characters were all really bland. They were basically cookie cutter characters - everyone has basically the same personality, and the only way you can tell the difference is that they're decorated differently. In fact, that's actually the best way to describe the G3 ponies. They're all a bunch of sickeningly sweet cookies that were decorated with different colors of super sugary icing.

Most people who've never seen anything of MLP:FiM (which is Generation 4, by the way) think that it's the exact same thing. The characters are all cookie cutter characters who're sickeningly sweet, living in a world that's 90% pink, doing nothing but having lovely tea parties with sunshine and rainbows and no problems whatsoever, in the most cutesy way imaginable.

They tease you because they think you're watching something else.
Basically summed up by these pictures:
Spoiler: Kinda large images • show

One good way to fix the problem is to attempt to clear things up with them, that FiM is absolutely nothing like G3. The season 4 finale was actually a pretty stunning example of how different FiM is.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Thanks for the advice. I'll try not to let it bother me, but that's easier said than done. :P
Even though if I try t explain it, they still think it's gen 3. Thankfully I just got a neice so hopefully I can turn her into a Brony  ovO
Check out my deviantart!:  http://thequirkygamer.deviantart.com/ it's not much, but doesn't hurt to look!

Chishio Kunrin

Make them watch the season 4 finale and see if that changes their minds. ovO

Nala Valor

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2015 May 12, 10:20:22
Make them watch the season 4 finale and see if that changes their minds. ovO
nah season 2 opening. Discord is most original villain.

lol if I made my brother sit through that... xD

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Nala Valor on 2015 May 12, 10:22:22
nah season 2 opening. Discord is most original villain.

The season 4 finale shows off how different FiM is from G3 the most, though. As soon as they see the Twilight vs Tirek fight scene, their minds will be blown. ovO

Sunshine Smash

Tell them to stop. I have better advice, but it's kinda vulgar so I'm not going to go too far into it. But that's the key, just tell them to not.

Deep inside..... We're kindred spirits...... You..... And I......

Howitzer

Sarcasm is always an option.
LoE not working as it should? Submit bugs here: http://phabricator.legendsofequestria.com/maniphest/task/edit/form/1/
------->  Jurassic Systems <-----------

Mizuki

As Chishio said, MLP is a family show. Kids are meant to watch it with their parents, and their parents are meant to be able to watch it without feeling like it's painful torture :)

Though I must say; whenever a show is created with children in mind, (especially girls) it's usually deemed as terrible...unless it somehow becomes "good", then suddenly it becomes an "everyone can watch it!" type of show. Funny how that works. :/

Anyway! As for what you can do about your family...it's tough to enjoy something while still being teased for it. I remember when I was in middle school (back in the early 2000's) I was teased relentlessly for "still liking" Pokemon. I would get SO mad! I was like- how is that a reason to ridicule someone? Plus Pokemon is awesome, so why SHOULD I be teased for something like that?

I think the best advice I can give is to roll your eyes and not take it personally. They may not understand the show's appeal, but not everybody is going to be interested in a flash animated show about pastel horses. You just gotta tell yourself: "Hey! I'm comfortable with just being myself, and enjoying the things that make me happy! It's just a cartoon, it's nothing to be ashamed of."

Eventually they'll see you're unphased by their teasing and they'll back off. Maybe you can show your siblings a cool/funny pony music video. I remember in the early days of the fandom, people became intrigued when they started seeing Pony synced up to Movie Trailers lol

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

Quote from: Mizuki on 2015 May 13, 01:36:07
As Chishio said, MLP is a family show. Kids are meant to watch it with their parents, and their parents are meant to be able to watch it without feeling like it's painful torture :)

Though I must say; whenever a show is created with children in mind, (especially girls) it's usually deemed as terrible...unless it somehow becomes "good", then suddenly it becomes an "everyone can watch it!" type of show. Funny how that works. :/

Anyway! As for what you can do about your family...it's tough to enjoy something while still being teased for it. I remember when I was in middle school (back in the early 2000's) I was teased relentlessly for "still liking" Pokemon. I would get SO mad! I was like- how is that a reason to ridicule someone? Plus Pokemon is awesome, so why SHOULD I be teased for something like that?

I think the best advice I can give is to roll your eyes and not take it personally. They may not understand the show's appeal, but not everybody is going to be interested in a flash animated show about pastel horses. You just gotta tell yourself: "Hey! I'm comfortable with just being myself, and enjoying the things that make me happy! It's just a cartoon, it's nothing to be ashamed of."

Eventually they'll see you're unphased by their teasing and they'll back off. Maybe you can show your siblings a cool/funny pony music video. I remember in the early days of the fandom, people became intrigued when they started seeing Pony synced up to Movie Trailers lol

Funny you say that, when I got into pokemon it was pretty much just "the norm" or at least I think... but I see where you're coming from. In fact, my mom didn't laugh when I talked a bit about it yesterday so I think the advice is working, thanks everyone! :)

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: SammyElise88 on 2015 May 13, 10:25:19
Funny you say that, when I got into pokemon it was pretty much just "the norm" or at least I think... but I see where you're coming from. In fact, my mom didn't laugh when I talked a bit about it yesterday so I think the advice is working, thanks everyone! :)

You're welcome! ^-^

I think the best comparison for how MLP:FiM is family entertainment is the fact that Disney movies are family entertainment. Disney movies are usually viewed as being movies for kids, but teens and adults also watch and enjoy them too. Both are aimed at the whole family, but some people still try to say they're for kids.

Quote from: Mizuki on 2015 May 13, 01:36:07

There's also the problem that, when a show really and truly is aimed only at children, the creators tend to hold themselves back a lot. Instead of thinking "What would be a good story?" "What would be a funny joke?" and "What would be entertaining?" they think, "What would kids think is a good story?" "What would kids think is a funny joke?" and "What would kids think is entertaining?"

Oddly enough, way too many adults in the entertainment business who try to make something specifically for little kids severely underestimate children. :l They think kids aren't very smart, have a really simple and dumb sense of humor, and have a very short attention span that won't let them follow a normal story.

As for the jokes, kids laugh at the jokes because they think that's the kind of thing they're supposed to laugh at because the show looks at them and says "Listen to the characters laugh/the laugh box, that was totally funny!" Kids are still developing their sense of humor. That's why they turn to you and say "That's so funny, right?!" after laughing at the show. But they start figuring out their sense of humor after a while, and they can and will reach a point where they can figure out what's funny for themselves. We all reach a point where we can tell that the drivel that true little kids' shows think are jokes just aren't funny.

That's one great thing about MLP:FiM. It doesn't laugh at its own jokes. It doesn't play a laugh box, and it doesn't have the characters laugh at every single joke that's ever made in every single episode. They tell the joke and move on, and if you think it's funny, you think it's funny. Simple as that. It doesn't reach out of the TV and tell the kid "I told a joke! Laugh! This is humor!" It also doesn't oversimplify most of the stories it tells. It just tells a story. It doesn't hold the kid's hand through the whole story, trying to over-explain so the kid doesn't get lost or confused.

Walt Disney was completely right when he said "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

Like I said above, there are people out there who look at family entertainment, including Disney movies, and still insist on saying it's for kids, even if they think it's good or enjoy it.

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2015 May 13, 13:54:15
You're welcome! ^-^

I think the best comparison for how MLP:FiM is family entertainment is the fact that Disney movies are family entertainment. Disney movies are usually viewed as being movies for kids, but teens and adults also watch and enjoy them too. Both are aimed at the whole family, but some people still try to say they're for kids.

There's also the problem that, when a show really and truly is aimed only at children, the creators tend to hold themselves back a lot. Instead of thinking "What would be a good story?" "What would be a funny joke?" and "What would be entertaining?" they think, "What would kids think is a good story?" "What would kids think is a funny joke?" and "What would kids think is entertaining?"

Oddly enough, way too many adults in the entertainment business who try to make something specifically for little kids severely underestimate children. :l They think kids aren't very smart, have a really simple and dumb sense of humor, and have a very short attention span that won't let them follow a normal story.

As for the jokes, kids laugh at the jokes because they think that's the kind of thing they're supposed to laugh at because the show looks at them and says "Listen to the characters laugh/the laugh box, that was totally funny!" Kids are still developing their sense of humor. That's why they turn to you and say "That's so funny, right?!" after laughing at the show. But they start figuring out their sense of humor after a while, and they can and will reach a point where they can figure out what's funny for themselves. We all reach a point where we can tell that the drivel that true little kids' shows think are jokes just aren't funny.

That's one great thing about MLP:FiM. It doesn't laugh at its own jokes. It doesn't play a laugh box, and it doesn't have the characters laugh at every single joke that's ever made in every single episode. They tell the joke and move on, and if you think it's funny, you think it's funny. Simple as that. It doesn't reach out of the TV and tell the kid "I told a joke! Laugh! This is humor!" It also doesn't oversimplify most of the stories it tells. It just tells a story. It doesn't hold the kid's hand through the whole story, trying to over-explain so the kid doesn't get lost or confused.

Walt Disney was completely right when he said "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

Like I said above, there are people out there who look at family entertainment, including Disney movies, and still insist on saying it's for kids, even if they think it's good or enjoy it.

Yeah! In fact I've actually started watching MLP because most of the shows on Disney Channel, Cartoon Network, etc, most of the content especially recent shows make me feel they're trying to brainwash me because it's so bad... :facehoof:

SimK64

Quote from: SammyElise88 on 2015 May 13, 20:26:06
Yeah! In fact I've actually started watching MLP because most of the shows on Disney Channel, Cartoon Network, etc, most of the content especially recent shows make me feel they're trying to brainwash me because it's so bad... :facehoof:

I used to like watching television, but not many good shows are on these days and I resort to watching shows online. :(

I miss those days. :'(

Mizuki

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2015 May 13, 13:54:15
You're welcome! ^-^

That's a good point! Though arguably, Pinkie Pie can be the designated "laugh box" of the show. But I don't think she's really that bad in that regard, and it's not like she takes up the entire show's running time or anything :)

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

NomDePlume

I get teased lightheartedly by my uncle and cousins, but that's about it. They're generally fairly accepting, so that's really nice. Other people, like school friends, aren't as open about it, so I understand where you're coming from.
"Every secret of a writer's soul, every experience of his life, every quality of his mind, is written large in his works."<br />--Virginia Woolf

Go Up