favirote video games

Started by lozer35, 2014 Aug 14, 20:07:50

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

lozer35

what is your favorite video game and video game moment and easter egg, my favorite game: red dead redemption (so far) 
my favorite moment: when you find peach on mario
my favorite easter egg: probably the traidor in ac1 that turns red with eagle vision but is wearing assassins clothes
me,spectrum, splashy, and lightning are THE pegasus four !!

PocketShadow

Don't know about moments or easter eggs. Just too many, y'know? Same with video games honestly. =P
Anyway, some of my favorites as of now has to be FF9, Spyro 1, Crash 2, SA2B, Metroid Prime, Okami, Pokemon SoulSilver, Pokemon Y and LOZ:Majora's Mask.  ^-^ I'm sure I forgot some.   X3
:P

Zsaszz

2014 Aug 16, 01:41:16 #2 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 16, 01:43:46 by Zsaszz
Favorite game: Metal Gear (series), if I were to choose a specific one I will pick, Mgs 3 (counting all the Times I completed it on the PS2 and on the HD collection I have completed this game 23 times in total)or Peace walkers

Favorite moment: that will be...
Spoiler: Really big spoiler for Gears of war 3 ahead • show
The sacrifice of Dom to save Marcus and the others from the lambent

Favorite Easter egg: those will be too many to count, but some will be getting the Tsuchinoko in Metal Gear 3, or the Guard Johnny hidden conversations in the different metal gears, or the Snake dream in the prison cell in MGS3(you need to save in the cell, advance a few hours, then load the game and you will start in the snake's dream...or better say nightmare).

NomDePlume

Favorite Game: Anything Legend of Zelda or Animal Crossing
Favorite Moment: When you're launched out of the cannon in Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker  lol
Favorite Easter Egg: Let me get back to you on that one.
"Every secret of a writer's soul, every experience of his life, every quality of his mind, is written large in his works."<br />--Virginia Woolf

AaronMk

I've been playing a lot of games lately due in part to the righteous wallet destruction that is Steam sales, in particular the last Summer sale. Of which I picked up and rather enjoyed Wolfenstein: New Order, Far Cry 2, Sleeping Dogs, and Tomb Raider. I shall explore.

Wolfenstein: New Order is the standout to me. I sort of expected a campy sort of Nazi-killing romp given the Inglorious-styled game trailers (What with the amazing German re-imagening of 60's pop songs). What I got was what I expected and so much more. Nazis, and a hard-core, heavy metal blitz through an alternative 60's.

The game takes a very dark note and it doesn't let up on letting you know who the enemy is. It doesn't let up on reminding you of their nature. But beyond what previous Wolfenstein titles do it adds many hefty tons of backstory and cordite-soaked depth to the characters. Blazkowicz in comparison to old titles is no longer the character-less machine. He now has a character, emotions, aspirations. Along with many others. There are some flaws in the execution, but Machine Games obviously tried and they did VERY well. The characters are great. They are terrifying, they are hopeful, and they are gritty. Standouts being Set Roth and the titular villain Deathshead.

Did I mention it has an amazing OST?

Beyond that, the game breaks often enough from the shooting to dabble in other mechanics. It introduces weapons and tools on a regular enough basis and provides enough obstacles that they'd be useful that you never forget they exist (with the exception of pistols). Though the puzzle aspects are not necessarily the strong-suit of the game, they are included often enough in the boss battles that it keeps the fights fresh and unique throughout the game.

I'm probably going to come off as being blasphemous here, but having beaten Far Cry 3 I can say in my objective opinion that Far Cry 2 is a much better game. I will however admit that it is weak. But at the same time I can't help but enjoy the weakness. I just know Far Cry 2 - or its concept - can be rebuilt to make an amazing title. And I love it for that. Even if it divorces from the original plot and point of the first Far Cry and its connection to it is up for debate (which will never end until Ubisoft decides to settle it).

The game has a strong survival feel to it. You know the moment you leave the tutorial village and begin the game proper that you are a stranger in a hostile land. The game takes place in a fictional African country in the throws of civil war between the UFLL and APR with the innocent civilians stuck in the middle being helped by the Underground. You play as a hitman hired by an unknown contractor - likely the US - to hunt and kill the arms dealer named The Jackal, who for as long as the conflict has been raging has been selling arms to both sides and entrenching and prolonging the conflict.

If you simply play through the game concentrating purely on the task at hand and banging through the required quests to simply beat the game you're going to miss a lot of story. Already the story-telling is pretty limp and only really makes serious leaps in evolution later on. But if you take the time to do a bit of exploring you can at least hear of - and learn of - The Jackal's ideology and motivations in the conflict which adds continuing depth to him, easily making him a stand out among the poorly fleshed out characters in the game, including the "buddies" you pick up along the way.

In the end, not even The Jackal's motives can save the plot. But what really stands out is the game's mechanics. First and foremost you are introduced to malaria in the game. Granted, this features feels like a second-hand concept and feels like it was included in the game at last minute. I did so many Underground quests I think I may have convinced myself I had infinite malaria pills because I never ran out and never learned what it does, despite turning the screen yellow and muffling all sounds with a weird ringing.

Beyond the malaria there's a more constant threat of gun jamming and misfires which can define fire-fights. The fire-fights are already chaotic, but it can turn against you when the AK you have in your hands fails to take a round and you need to unjam it mid-fight, or it simply explodes. Which leads to the other bit I like: the game is chaotic.

Far Cry 2 has a certain pechant for just intensifying. Most of the all-to-plentiful outposts are stockpiles of explosives, ammo, or petrol which when blown up or severely damaged can explode. Often times the explosions and sometimes resulting spread of fire can tear through the outpost catching vehicles, explosive hazards, and what not on fire driving the AI mad with panic.

At the same time, the AI will actively hunt for you. On any difficulty. IF they know something's up they will go out, seek you out, and flank you. Even on easy mode. And if you're positioned right by a road, or close enough, any randomly driving cars will stop and join in and the situation will escalate. This can be magnificently fun, especially with the right weapons; the mortar and flame-thrower are especially good at this.

In the game as well there'll be a few moments that you'll be chomping at the bit. With the buddies you get an alternative way to complete missions. More often than not they end with you having to rush to your buddy's aid resulting in a defensive stand with you and him/her against the African and foreign mercs both sides have recruited.

I will admit that Sleeping Dogs is in ways a poorman's version of GTA. But it's still fun, despite the lack of escalation in police responses as you might get from a Rockstar title.

The game's emphasis is less on gunplay as it is in martial arts, which makes it stand out. Instead of engaging in point-and-click adventures you need to gauge enemy reactions and their enemy type to bring them down. Button mashing won't bring down many types and you'll have to use a combination of methods to kung-fu a Hong Kong gangster to submission, including but not limited to the use or abuse of scattered and fatal map hazards like ventilation fans of phone booths.

All the same, the game isn't Mortal Kombat as I may have started describing it. It's a free-roaming venture in which you play as Huei Shen, underground cop in  the HKPD tasked with bringing down the Triad, in particular the Sun On Yee.

The game re-adapts Hong Kong to a fictional Hong Kong which I found upsetting. But I got over the fact I can bust through the sight of the old Kowloon Walled City in some fictional hot-rod while playing Cantonese hiphop. Likewise, the names of the major Triad gangs are adapted and are similar to their RL counterparts, which I learned as fun trivia (for instance to those oblivious: the Sun On Yee is a play on the RL Sun Ye On, and the 18k which is the 14k; I think).

I rather enjoyed the story of Sleeping Dogs which explores Shen's conflict in staying true to his mission and his growing loyalty to his now extended family in the Sun On Yee. He gets deep enough in where he sees and learns of the politics in the gang and realizes that if he stops the mission where his bosses want him to then things would get disastrous and its dramatic to watch this conflict of interests on multiple fronts pan out.

I'm not done playing the Tomb Raider reboot. But I will say that it's 10/10 beautiful game with some rather awesome quick-time failure screens; if very brootul.

#DeposeGothsFromRomanClay

Rainbow Twist

While Pong and Pac-Man were great starts to the original video games, along with of course Nintendo's Donkey Kong which brought about the creation of the world best known icon being Mario, the most favorite game is an always evolving and changing thing, with past favorites remaining in their top choice place for the era/generation they belong.

Considering that the real consoles really didn't gain ground until Nintendo made the home consoles which ment prior to that .. the Atari and other home consoles weren't really all that popular yet, and a vast amount of arcade places were still huge even after the console launch.

Still considering where I grew up (a farm) which was 100 miles + away from any urban center, and being basically the ONLY one within a 25 mile radius that enjoyed console base video games, I really didn't have anyone to share the experience with. Plenty of hours..... in fact thousands of hours spent playing games among the countless hours involved in farm labour of which was heavily physical. (I am rather physically fit and imo don't really fit the physical description of the stereotyped video game nerd nor intellectual geek... I likely don't fit any category that exists at all well).

While I love the first official Super Mario bros on the nes, I thrived on one of the most difficult games on the nes that deserves more attention than it gets. Metroid was a favorite. However there are numerous others, I can usually even today still play Metroid (though taking years to manage to beat it is a thing of the past, with my current ability to beat it in a matter of an hour give or take depending on which order I decide to do things or if I decide to skip items entirely)... I should also mention that "The Guardian Legend" is a rare diamond amongst all the NES games out there... it deserves way more attention.

Now above paragraph is going to mostly set the tune for what is actually one of my favorites that will remain regardless of era, a top choice. Getting access to a super Nintendo not more than a year prior to the n64 launch (the n64 being something I never owned or had the chance to play much on at all), I was introduced to Super Metroid, this is just a phenomenal game with incredible replay value.

Sure donkey kong Country was always enjoyable, so was tons of other games, including Mario kart and the super Mario worlds, but contra and tetris attack (the latter of which is again a game I excel at), are hard to pick and choose over either. Secret of Mana and Breath of Fire are utterly fantastic too....

PS1 and Xbox and Future generations of console games have had some good and bad. Sadly with the current development of games and their paths, a lot of the attention has moved away from gameplay, which basically due to the lack of any significant graphics capabilities in older consoles meaning that if it didn't look pretty, you HAD to have amazing gameplay and replay value, in fact even if you had impressive graphics for the time, unless the game was actually a decent thing to play specially over and over... it would be a dead product.

With indie game explosions and triple A titles failing to deliver proper complete games, it's really hard to point out anything within the last 10 years that deserves credit and attention. Having played a bit of numerous games, a look back and I can say that I've wasted a pile of cash sadly.

While the Mass Effect trilogy was an enjoyable game to play, there are numerous issues that dock it value... still it would be something i'd recommend someone play...
Borderlands, the first 1 is dry but is a good start to getting things going, borderlands 2 however with the co-op system is phenominal.

Something I should also mention is the lack of Co-op style games and how consoles and pc games alienated a 2 or more player game styles without being forced to get into a cookie cutter multiplayer limited non story board style gameplay system (fps and capture the flag or whatever), granted those are good to an extent, there used to be a plethora of games in which a 2nd player or sometimes more players could play through the entire storyline of the game together, and with every player added, added increased difficult (optional in many cases) which made the game not nearly as simple as modern games today that seem to slap co-op on like a sticker and neglect the fact that 2 player playing together was basically the "We win" button being pressed.

Tons of the highest rated games available in the last 10 years I've actually considered rather poor. I cannot pick a favorite though. Every game that is worth mentioning has specific characteristics that make it valuable in on itself. But portal, and borderlands and deadpool are probably the most recent games that I think are great.

Yuriski

http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=2470.0">Read the forum rules., that's a hard one. I'd say PAYDAY 2 right now. The ability to use that inner evil inside you combined with an epic soundtrack, great gun-play and a wide array of different missions (especially with the DLCs such as Armoured Transport) makes the game so worthwhile. The feeling of success you get also when you complete a 5 million dollar job is so rewarding, and alas, the feeling of rage and/or despair when you get so close to finishing a hiest, then you get cornered by shields and FBI as you try to fend off yourself with that last magazine of ammo to no result.

The fact that it forces everyone to co-operate in some way is what really makes it for me though. Being able to actually play  a game where people aren't competing for the highest place on the scoreboard, or taking all of the objectives to increase their own EXP, but instead working as an effective team in order to achieve that similar goal of a million-dollar payday makes the game much more enjoyable for me.

Yet, as I'm writing this, before I made my (second) transfer over to PC gaming from console, Halo 3 was my all-time favourite for a long time. The campaign was astounding (some may argue that CE and 2 had better campaigns X3) and as it was also the first game I played multiplayer for, it really did captivate me into gaming. Forge mode was pretty amazing too. Sure, it was more limited to the forge in Reach and Halo 4, but it was the first big step into making FPS games more customisable, and not limiting it to "kill people; complete objective". There were some great times with friends on custom maps and gamemodes, which just did not compare to that of the CoD or Battlefield of the time.

TL;DR - PAYDAY 2 is definitely my favourite out there.

Go Up