Favorite developer joke in a game?

Started by Rissian, 2012 Aug 26, 21:28:02

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Rissian

This is probably my favorite boss in the kirby games and judging by the way it plays out it seems to be a joke boss the developers wanted to make.

&feature=player_detailpage#t=212s

(Warning does contain spoilers if you haven't played the game.)

Assuming the link worked correctly it should be on the boss fight itself, it seems like the developers had fun making that boss from the dialog alone especially the points earned at the end of the fight.

Anyways what are some of your favorite developer jokes in games?

Lary

Go ahead. Flip an Elephant in Halo 3.

Could've been something great. But ya' blew it... Ya' blew it.

Book Smarts

Gilgamesh from Final Fantasy V could be seen as a developer joke,

You face him multiple times and he gets harder to beat, but at the same time, you can steal pieces of a special armor set with every fight against him.  lol

Lary

Quote from: Book Smarts on 2012 Aug 26, 21:52:39

You face him multiple times and he gets harder to beat, but at the same time, you can steal pieces of a special armor set with every fight against him.  lol

Joke characters do not get the best battle music in the game. Sorry, bro.
Could've been something great. But ya' blew it... Ya' blew it.

Book Smarts

Quote from: Lary on 2012 Aug 26, 21:56:06
Quote from: Book Smarts on 2012 Aug 26, 21:52:39

Joke characters do not get the best battle music in the game. Sorry, bro.

As a boss, you shouldn't allow thieves to steal pieces of armor off of you in the middle of combat

Chishio Kunrin

The developers of the Fable series are quite the jokers. I think chickens are a running joke in that series, though it seems to become kind of obsessive.

They also have a habit of putting jokes wherever they can. A lot of gravestones have jokes on them. During the childhood stage in Fable 2, you have to collect warrants that were blown away. The warrants have jokes on them. The one I remember most:
"Assault with a deadly weapon
Assault with a potentially deadly weapon
Assault with an item that couldn't possibly have been deadly but unfortunately was"

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Rissian

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Aug 26, 22:00:44
"Assault with a deadly weapon
Assault with a potentially deadly weapon
Assault with an item that couldn't possibly have been deadly but unfortunately was"

lol Me and my sister loved that one I remember some of those but that one stood out the most. I think it had 5 warrants some of the gravestone jokes were funny as well, but I can't remember most of them, I think Fable 1 had a few grave jokes to but I'm not sure.

"Leroy "Unremarkable" Stone
Known aliases: Leroy Ten-Fingers, Leroy One-Nose, Leroy Two-Eyes, Leroy Has-Hair, Leroy Is-Alive.
Wanted for: Suspicious Though Otherwise Unremarkable Behavior."

Theres another warrant about a firearm which was hilarious.  ovO

FF8 had a funny chocobo joke in it, if you kept stepping in front of a baby chocobo that was running and knocking it off the road, eventually It's mother would run you over and throw you off the road into the next area if I recall.

Ninkon

No developer would ever use the Whilhelm Scream if it wasn't a joke

_____Cedar Woods____________Chilly Breeze_____________Bronze Kettle_____
http://forum.legendsofequestr

lurk852

There are too many examples in the Metal Gear Solid games to list, although I guess half of them would be considered inappropriate for this forum.

First thing that comes to mind is how in MGS3, you can use the "cure" menu to look at Snake's medical history, which is usually used to keep track of all the various injuries you've racked up throughout the game. Near the end, you
Spoiler: show
gain access to Eva in that menu too, and she has several bizarre entries in her medical history that serve no conceivable purpose other than to make people who find it say "wait, what?"
"The passions are, and ought only to be the slave of reason." - David Hume

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: lurk852 on 2012 Aug 27, 01:40:28
There are too many examples in the Metal Gear Solid games to list, although I guess half of them would be considered inappropriate for this forum.

First thing that comes to mind is how in MGS3, you can use the "cure" menu to look at Snake's medical history, which is usually used to keep track of all the various injuries you've racked up throughout the game. Near the end, you
gain access to Eva in that menu too, and she has several bizarre entries in her medical history that serve no conceivable purpose other than to make people who find it say "wait, what?"

What're we talking here? Slipped on an ice cube? Used poison ivy as toilet paper?

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Rissian

2012 Aug 27, 02:26:06 #10 Last Edit: 2012 Aug 27, 02:35:10 by Trege
Knowing Hideo Kojimas joke style it's probably something that can't be mentioned here for one reason or another though I don't know myself as I've never checked her medical history I didn't even know you could check the main characters medical history let alone Eva's.

Edit :
(I ended up checking youtube and finding out myself some are funny like her inability to know which food is poisonous and some not so much, due to a style of humor I dislike.)

Book Smarts

When Final Fantasy I took a shot at Nintendo with a tombstone inscribed with,"Here lies Link."

Wandering Star

In the Valley of Mines, the orc invaders have built a high palisade wall blocking the view of the harbor from the paladins holding the castle. An NPC in the game claims the orcs built the wall to hide the scale of the invading horde, said to be numerous.

If you have your character climb the wall, you find an empty stretch of rolling land, and a single sign. The message contains numerous misspellings, probably from having been translated into English, and is signed Alien Dwarf. The sign congratulates you on getting this far, and confirms that there's no invading horde behind the wall.

lurk852

Quote from: Trege on 2012 Aug 27, 02:26:06
Knowing Hideo Kojimas joke style it's probably something that can't be mentioned here for one reason or another though I don't know myself as I've never checked her medical history I didn't even know you could check the main characters medical history let alone Eva's.

Edit :
(I ended up checking youtube and finding out myself some are funny like her inability to know which food is poisonous and some not so much, due to a style of humor I dislike.)

Yeah, it's a mixed bag.

Better one: MGS3 - if you go out of your way to kill a character who appears in the later games, you get a game over screen with the lines "The future will change! You've created a time paradox!"
"The passions are, and ought only to be the slave of reason." - David Hume

Rissian

2012 Aug 28, 16:57:33 #14 Last Edit: 2012 Aug 28, 17:02:39 by Trege
"OCELOT IS DEAD"
Problem solved series over.
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

"Snake you can't do that, you've created a time paradox you can't go messing with the future like that!"

I want to play one of the MGS games on European Extreme now, but I can't remember if game over by being spotted counts as an alert or not for your final rank at the end if you hit continue.

My favorite aspect of MGS3 is how much they improved the stealth in it, it's nerve wrecking to have a enemy soldier walk near you at 90% camo.

Go Up