Why is Applejack so Hated?

Started by Noob Bot 2.0, 2015 Aug 22, 20:29:55

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Moon Pearl

2015 Aug 28, 02:18:13 #20 Last Edit: 2015 Aug 28, 02:23:35 by Moon Pearl
Quote from: Necroceine on 2015 Aug 27, 23:33:10
Applejack is like the straight man of the group and on top of that has her life the most together. She's got a successful business she isn't looking to expand. She's competitive and stubborn to some extent, but they've explored that plenty even in just season 1.

All of those traits require another character to play off of. The straight man, the competitor, or the stubborn. And that all makes it difficult to write an episode focusing so heavily on her. She cares about her family and wants Sweet Apple Acres to be a successful business, but that leads to Apple family episodes (or Apple family + Mane 6). I think she needs something new and personal to be able to really carry her own episode. Maybe if they have the map send her somewhere alone... but short of that, I don't really know what her episode would be about at this point.

Massive Spoiler of Episode 24.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiZ7E1HvT7c

This may be the Applejack episode we're waiting for fellas.....

All Units. Battle Formation. Break Through the Front

Necroceine

Oh, wow, how'd I miss this? Guess I'm more out of the loop than I thought.

Spacecase101

Quote from: Necroceine on 2015 Aug 27, 23:33:10
Applejack is like the straight man of the group and on top of that has her life the most together. She's got a successful business she isn't looking to expand. She's competitive and stubborn to some extent, but they've explored that plenty even in just season 1.

All of those traits require another character to play off of. The straight man, the competitor, or the stubborn. And that all makes it difficult to write an episode focusing so heavily on her. She cares about her family and wants Sweet Apple Acres to be a successful business, but that leads to Apple family episodes (or Apple family + Mane 6). I think she needs something new and personal to be able to really carry her own episode. Maybe if they have the map send her somewhere alone... but short of that, I don't really know what her episode would be about at this point.
I agree about AJ being the straight man i think she shines the best in the background, keeping the others going when they fail. That doesnt mean shes a bad character or a poorly written one. It just means she doing what she does best which is keeping the others going. Should their be more episodes where shes the main character? Of course. But is that best place to put her? I dont know. I do like Applejack, but i dont think the way her character is developed, thats the best way to place her, or were here talents are best utilized. Some times you do need a down to earth character, especially in a large group to keep the rest of the group grounded, especially when you have extreme personalities in said group. 

LIFE AS STRANGE AS IT SEEMS.
IT LIES ON ITS SIDE AND SCREAMS!!
We are many...We are one...HOMELINGS!! Mucho of de Wooting!!

McClaw

To expand on an earlier point, I remember an anime example I read on TV Tropes (but can't find it there at the moment).

There was an anime TV series where the mother of one of the main characters was never present -- except for one episode. She, being competent and capable, completely blocked and resolved all the crazy antics that usually happened in the series well before they became plot points. At the end of the episode, she left again and things returned to normal.

In other words, having Princess Celestia actually doing her job or Applejack and her common sense being more available (or for that matter having a Royal Guard, Wonderbolts, Mayor, or other authority that can actually handle the typical episode goings-on) undermines the writers' ability to present a simple story or show off other characters.
Watch for "Census Taker" (pegasus), "Chuck Wagon" (earth pony), and "Bug Hunter" (unicorn).

Spacecase101

Quote from: McClaw on 2015 Aug 28, 15:18:11
To expand on an earlier point, I remember an anime example I read on TV Tropes (but can't find it there at the moment).

There was an anime TV series where the mother of one of the main characters was never present -- except for one episode. She, being competent and capable, completely blocked and resolved all the crazy antics that usually happened in the series well before they became plot points. At the end of the episode, she left again and things returned to normal.

In other words, having Princess Celestia actually doing her job or Applejack and her common sense being more available (or for that matter having a Royal Guard, Wonderbolts, Mayor, or other authority that can actually handle the typical episode goings-on) undermines the writers' ability to present a simple story or show off other characters.
I was thinking of the old comedy groups like the Marx Brothers, or Abbott and Costello to name a few. Their was usually one grounded member to play off the zaniness of the others. which made their antics that much funnier. Granted MLP-FIM isn't a true comedy, but with all the extreme personalities on the show, you do need one member to keep the others in check.

LIFE AS STRANGE AS IT SEEMS.
IT LIES ON ITS SIDE AND SCREAMS!!
We are many...We are one...HOMELINGS!! Mucho of de Wooting!!

Caiz

-The Forsaken And Vengeful Son-

PrincessButton

Quote from: Caiz on 2015 Sep 05, 22:43:11
She's largely hated?  :o
Not at all. She's slightly disliked just as much as any other character is.  ^-^ No character is unanimously liked!
[Avatar drawn by Dusky Hues; Thank you!]

ManeFlame

The weak can't handle the pure strength of her awesomeness. Hard worker, not afraid of mud, cute as a button, Freckles of Cute+3, country accent -and- she doesn't lie?
Too much for most mortals.

Go Up