About that Filly Funtasia show...

Started by MrSpyro, 2014 May 30, 17:39:44

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

MrSpyro

Apparently, there's this show called Filly Funtasia coming out, and here's what i know.

There are five main races in the show, and each main character will represent one of them.
Willow (far left) is a Fairy Filly. Yes, even males are called fillies. Anyways, all I know is that they can fly, and that all of them have green wings.
Bella (left) is an Elf Filly. Nobody really know anything about them except they have pointer ears than the other races (duh), and they wear winged crowns.
Rose (center) is obviously a Unicorn Filly. They have horns and live on floating crystals. 'Nuff said.
Cedric (right) is a Princess Filly. Well, actually he's a prince, but Princess is what the race is called in general. They wear those crowns (the circular ones).
Lynn (far right) is a Witchy Filly. Witchy Fillies wear capes that give them their magic. All five races have magic, but Witches are the ones I know most about. Each one of them has one of five different capes, and their powers are determined by that cape. The cape types are love, flower, light, air, and water.
Anyways, do you think the show will be another G3? Or do you think it has potential.?
Derp race!
[move] :P[/move]
[move]    :P[/move]
[move]       :P[/move]
[move]          :P[/move]

MrEmu

I'm going to sound like a jerk...But I'm sorry, this just looks like somepony is trying to rip off of MLP.
Willow looks like a bad OC, I mean dark colors, a Prince, Creepy wings...yeah...

And having the main character a UNICORN even? yeeaahh they're seriously ripping off of MLP here...
Whoever these people are....they need to think of their own idea's and not rip off of other ones...

I'm sorry if I sound harsh or mean...but But I just really reeeaaalllyyy hate rip offs...

AaronMk

2014 May 30, 21:02:16 #2 Last Edit: 2014 May 30, 21:04:19 by AaronMk
I'mma be "that guy" and say: You just learned of this now?

Derpibooru was all up on it with uploads for a while and we decided to forget sometime a week or two after to before Season 4. This isn't old news, I think even Equestria Daily reported on it. So, not exactly "timely" in any case. This was a thing before Season 4.

/"That guy" routine

But, on the topic:

And if the DB comment box is an example, I predict this will be the thread:

Spoiler: show

#DeposeGothsFromRomanClay

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: MrEmu on 2014 May 30, 20:51:36
I'm going to sound like a jerk...But I'm sorry, this just looks like somepony is trying to rip off of MLP.
Willow looks like a bad OC, I mean dark colors, a Prince, Creepy wings...yeah...

And having the main character a UNICORN even? yeeaahh they're seriously ripping off of MLP here...
Whoever these people are....they need to think of their own idea's and not rip off of other ones...

I'm sorry if I sound harsh or mean...but But I just really reeeaaalllyyy hate rip offs...

I'm going to to sound like a jerk...but you're being a fanboy, here. Ideas cannot be copyrighted. If no one ever followed suit on a successful idea the world would be pretty lackluster in terms of creative content.

If ideas could be copyrighted the people would be able to claim ownership of an entire genre of entertainment. Could you imagine a world with only one rock band, one rapper, and one country singer? How about one sci-fi author, one action author, and one romance author?

How is it bad for consumers for people to "copy" a good thing? Doesn't that mean more good things from more people?

Chishio Kunrin

They look sorta kinda cute in their own way, I guess.

The main thing I don't like is that all of the ponies are referred to with female nouns. I'm not sure this is going to be very progressive a show at all. Not saying it has to be progressive to be good, but... it's just weird to call them all fillies and call an entire race a princess race. This is definitely aimed at little girls so much that they've gone and girlified it, possibly to sickening extremes. I wouldn't be surprised if this show will have... *Dramatic zoom-in* G3-itis.

Regardless, I'll probably check the show out if I can. I thought MLP:FiM would be stupidly girly before I watched it, after all. We all did. :P

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2014 May 31, 11:26:07
The main thing I don't like is that all of the ponies are referred to with female nouns.

Not that big of a deal. In the real world titles are often defaulted to masculine nouns and pronouns. I'd imagine and matriarchal world would do the opposite.

MrSpyro

2014 May 31, 11:42:13 #6 Last Edit: 2014 May 31, 11:46:26 by MrSpyro
Two of the main characters are male, that's a good sign!

And here's a trailer:
[ Invalid YouTube link ]
I think the hand mirrors act like cell phones, and at 0:50, Rose took a selfie with Lynn, so I guess they double as cameras.
Derp race!
[move] :P[/move]
[move]    :P[/move]
[move]       :P[/move]
[move]          :P[/move]

Grizzly

Er... what in Equestria is this? First time i'm seen this, and my reaction: "What the hay?"
The most common accident is the one noone expects.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: MrSpyro on 2014 May 31, 11:42:13
Two of the main characters are male, that's a good sign!

And here's a trailer:
Spoiler: show
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

I think the hand mirrors act like cell phones, and at 0:50, Rose took a selfie with Lynn, so I guess they double as cameras.

It looks cuter in action. O:
I actually kinda giggled a little during that video. But I can't really judge yet just based on that video. I need to hear some voice acting and see what kind of stories it'll have. Buuuut based on that video, I'm likely going to check out the pilot when it comes out.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

MrEmu

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2014 May 31, 10:00:26
I'm going to to sound like a jerk...
Nah, You're not being a jerk, I understand people insulting something they don't know to much about is kinda derpish to do! ;)

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2014 May 31, 10:00:26
Ideas cannot be copyrighted. If no one ever followed suit on a successful idea the world would be pretty lackluster in terms of creative content.

If ideas could be copyrighted the people would be able to claim ownership of an entire genre of entertainment. Could you imagine a world with only one rock band, one rapper, and one country singer? How about one sci-fi author, one action author, and one romance author?

How is it bad for consumers for people to "copy" a good thing? Doesn't that mean more good things from more people?
there's a difference between saying "Hey, The Lord of the Rings is popular, I'll make a Midevil (Shh, I can't spell midevil the right way) fantasy book!", that is something totally different from what I'm seeing here though, I mean using ponies was a unique twist that Hasbo did. Most cartoons uses cats or dogs or bunnies, you know...but I have NEVER seen one based around ponies or horses before besides MLP...that was quite unique of them!

I'll still give it a chance but I'm sorry it REALLY looks like they are just trying to ride off of MLP's popularity...and not to be mean...but I'v never seen a single cartoon come even close to MLP for characterization, and emotional depth in my book...(Not insulting other cartoons, complementing MLP)

I understand though I relate to the characters of MLP so much more then almost any other show out there...so it's going to hit me a lot more emotionally deeper then others...

Anycase...I'm done rambling! :]

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: MrEmu on 2014 May 31, 20:51:42
...and not to be mean...but I'v never seen a single cartoon come even close to MLP for characterization, and emotional depth in my book...

You never watched As Told By Ginger!?

MrEmu

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2014 May 31, 20:55:06
Quote from: MrEmu on 2014 May 31, 20:51:42
...and not to be mean...but I'v never seen a single cartoon come even close to MLP for characterization, and emotional depth in my book...

You never watched As Told By Ginger!?
That is the first time I'v heard of it actually... But as I said, there are just some personal elements that made MLP all the more special to me...

Prismatic

I've heard about the show for a while now.  If I am not mistaken the Funtasia toys are more or less European in origin (Germany?) in comparison to My Little Pony.

I would probably watch it in the sense of seeing something new.

Griffon

2014 Jun 01, 13:16:07 #13 Last Edit: 2014 Jun 11, 16:44:29 by Griffon
I have seen this toy in Germany and now it's sold in my country too.
Princess Celestia: Ah, Philomena, my pet. You're awake.

Blitz Freeman

I don't know why I didn't see this sort of thing coming, but here's my reaction:

I feel like Filly Funtasia will appeal to kids specifically. I imagine that young kids today have become accustomed to CGI cartoons, much in the way that the older demographic (teens to college kids) grew up with fluid 2D animation stuff. So the little ones might get a kick out of it.  :nod: Older bronies? I'd rather doubt it.  :s But you truly never know. Nonetheless, imma check it out. After all, it's doing something right over in Germany.
I fight so that she may go on...for I am just a pony.

Sea Foam

Oh jeez, I forgot all about this.
Those times were glorious.
Everyone was so mad.

Images of broken light which dance before me like a million eyes;
they call me on and on across the universe.
Thank you, Durpy, for the banner!

Grizzly

I was never a fan of CGI. Then again, never really liked vector graphics either X3
I guess what i'm trying to say is the visual presentation is important, for me it's not nearly as important as the stroy, character chemistry and stuff. Will i check it? Yeah, eventually, i mean to MLP i got before S4 started. (watched g1 when i was little though)
The most common accident is the one noone expects.

Mumble

As much as I'm sick of "princess franchise for little girls", the 3D production seems quality, the design is sturdy, and not all.. anorexic bratz-like, which I like.

I'm not going to watch it. And I'm still going to force Adventure Time and MLF Friendship is Magic on my future children. Each to their own, I suppose!  :nod:

-ReiMar-

So, Princess is a race now? Wow, that's new...and weird) XD
ovO

Bro1997

2014 Aug 03, 23:25:34 #19 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 03, 23:38:40 by Bro1997
Quote from: MrSpyro on 2014 May 30, 17:39:44

Apparently, there's this show called Filly Funtasia coming out, and here's what i know.

There are five main races in the show, and each main character will represent one of them.
Willow (far left) is a Fairy Filly. Yes, even males are called fillies. Anyways, all I know is that they can fly, and that all of them have green wings.
Bella (left) is an Elf Filly. Nobody really know anything about them except they have pointer ears than the other races (duh), and they wear winged crowns.
Rose (center) is obviously a Unicorn Filly. They have horns and live on floating crystals. 'Nuff said.
Cedric (right) is a Princess Filly. Well, actually he's a prince, but Princess is what the race is called in general. They wear those crowns (the circular ones).
Lynn (far right) is a Witchy Filly. Witchy Fillies wear capes that give them their magic. All five races have magic, but Witches are the ones I know most about. Each one of them has one of five different capes, and their powers are determined by that cape. The cape types are love, flower, light, air, and water.
Anyways, do you think the show will be another G3? Or do you think it has potential.?

I think It'll be in the middle. It might have potential, yet again it sort of has that G3 feeling. I do enjoy G3 though, so my opinion is probably different from other bronies! X3

Post Merge

Quote from: -ReiMar- on 2014 Jun 17, 13:47:41
So, Princess is a race now? Wow, that's new...and weird) XD
ovO

Nothing new. It's a different series of fillies from Filly. There is Fairy, Unicorn, Princess, Wedding, and I think also Witches as well. These are the toy categories for Filly. It's more popular in Germany though.

Post Merge

Quote from: Mumble on 2014 Jun 17, 13:00:38
As much as I'm sick of "princess franchise for little girls", the 3D production seems quality, the design is sturdy, and not all.. anorexic bratz-like, which I like.

I'm not going to watch it. And I'm still going to force Adventure Time and MLF Friendship is Magic on my future children. Each to their own, I suppose!  :nod:

Well that's a shame. Not giving a show that might actually have potential a chance is like not giving MLP FIM a chance. Also, your children might choose not to watch your cartoon shows. And what do you mean by "Each to their own, I suppose!"?

Post Merge

Quote from: Blitz Freeman on 2014 Jun 01, 13:43:20
I don't know why I didn't see this sort of thing coming, but here's my reaction:

I feel like Filly Funtasia will appeal to kids specifically. I imagine that young kids today have become accustomed to CGI cartoons, much in the way that the older demographic (teens to college kids) grew up with fluid 2D animation stuff. So the little ones might get a kick out of it.  :nod: Older bronies? I'd rather doubt it.  :s But you truly never know. Nonetheless, imma check it out. After all, it's doing something right over in Germany.

I'm sure that someday that these little kids will grow up being like us complaining about animation then. It's just nature. Don't judge a book by it's cover, it's one of the lessons that MLP FIM taught us or at least Rainbow Dash learned that lesson herself by claiming that reading is for "eggheads" lol Yeah, it's the #1 Girls toy in Germany.

Post Merge

Quote from: Griffon on 2014 Jun 01, 13:16:07
I have seen this toy in Germany and now it's sold in my country too.

Makes you wonder if Filly will eventually reach the states as well and compete with MLP. Dracco doesn't sell it's merchandise for some reason in the US though. I wonder why?

Go Up