Tough World for Bronies

Started by HerpyDooves, 2013 May 09, 06:43:42

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

SSomegah

I hate it when anti-bronies pick on us. It doesn't affect the so why are they being big meanies about it? That took serious guts dude, I hope everything turns out ok!  ^^
SWAG :D

Cotton Ball

I  im gonna go invade some anti brony forums now
[move][/move]
Don't be a salad, be the best broccoli you could ever be.

Jack_Daft

Quote from: Cotton Ball on 2013 Jul 10, 16:55:34

I wouldn't recommend that. Unless you are the epitome of wit and can make Discord dumbfounded by your razor sharp charisma, don't retaliate against it. You're just adding more fuel to the fire. No matter what walk of life you choose to trot down somebody is going to irrationally hate you for it. You can't please everypony.

Just be a decent pony and move on.

LoE: Bucky Geldin
Level 1 Sugarcane Farmer Earf Pony

Cotton Ball

Quote from: Jack_Daft on 2013 Jul 10, 17:25:28

I wouldn't recommend that. Unless you are the epitome of wit and can make Discord dumbfounded by your razor sharp charisma, don't retaliate against it. You're just adding more fuel to the fire. No matter what walk of life you choose to trot down somebody is going to irrationally hate you for it. You can't please everypony.

Fair point beside im not spending all day checking my email for a forum account not that i do check my email  lol
[move][/move]
Don't be a salad, be the best broccoli you could ever be.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Cotton Ball on 2013 Jul 10, 20:03:12
Quote from: Jack_Daft on 2013 Jul 10, 17:25:28

Fair point beside im not spending all day checking my email for a forum account not that i do check my email  lol

Yeah, sadly some anti-bronies are anti-bronies simply because of the bronies out there who go out of their way to be obnoxious to people who don't like bronies or the show.
Some anti-bronies are just sick of seeing tons of pony art flood Tumblr and Deviantart. Some are especially sick of seeing pony crossover art. The crossover stuff is one reason we can't just tell them "Then don't look at/search for pony stuff." Their response would be something like "I search 'Deadpool' and I find that stupid pink pony!" "I search 'Assassin's Creed' and I find pony crossovers of it!" stuff like that.

There are different kinds of bronies, and then there are different kinds of anti-bronies.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

ComputerDeathglare

Wait, Imma get the popcorn...

One thing I HATE is looking at pony mods, then seeing anti-bronies cry because "we're clogging up the main page!" I have yet to see a pony mod get featured on any site, not saying they don't, but still. Do I cry at your Dragon Ball Z or Sonic the Hedgehog? No. Please, PLEASE just SHUT UP AND LET US PLAY OUR GAMES WITH PONIES. Don't click, god...
By Sulfur

dA
Tumblr (SFW)

Jack_Daft

Quote from: ComputerDeathglare on 2013 Jul 19, 04:14:27
One thing I HATE is looking at pony mods, then seeing anti-bronies cry because "we're clogging up the main page!" I have yet to see a pony mod get featured on any site, not saying they don't, but still. Do I cry at your Dragon Ball Z or Sonic the Hedgehog? No. Please, PLEASE just SHUT UP AND LET US PLAY OUR GAMES WITH PONIES. Don't click, god...

I'm on the fence about this, and I'm sorry for the slight derail on the thread topic. I certainly have nothing wrong with people making pony mods for the games they play. It's your game, play it however you want!  What's there to argue? See too many Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie horse reskins in Skyrim? The latest Twilight Sparkle tank getting you down? Does that Engineer talk like Applejack? Too bad. If you don't like it, don't download it.

Now more of a "my two cents", I like ponies. I really do. But I will admit they can be really out of place in most videogames they have pony mods for. Immersion in a videogame is a huge thing for me, and seeing a Fluttershy dragon in Skyrim, albeit amusing, doesn't belong and is awfully out of place. I wish Animal Crossing was moddable because a MLP mod for AC would be fantastic.

Though well meaning, some pony mods are downright horrifying.

LoE: Bucky Geldin
Level 1 Sugarcane Farmer Earf Pony

ComputerDeathglare

Quote from: Jack_Daft on 2013 Jul 19, 17:10:00
Quote from: ComputerDeathglare on 2013 Jul 19, 04:14:27

I'm on the fence about this, and I'm sorry for the slight derail on the thread topic. I certainly have nothing wrong with people making pony mods for the games they play. It's your game, play it however you want!  What's there to argue? See too many Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie horse reskins in Skyrim? The latest Twilight Sparkle tank getting you down? Does that Engineer talk like Applejack? Too bad. If you don't like it, don't download it.

Now more of a "my two cents", I like ponies. I really do. But I will admit they can be really out of place in most videogames they have pony mods for. Immersion in a videogame is a huge thing for me, and seeing a Fluttershy dragon in Skyrim, albeit amusing, doesn't belong and is awfully out of place. I wish Animal Crossing was moddable because a MLP mod for AC would be fantastic.

Though well meaning, some pony mods are downright horrifying.

I understand, too. I've seen some darn creepy mods, and yeah, a Skyrim or Fallout pony is really, really out of place, but what about Gmod, where people are mixing Portal with Doctor Who? That's when complaining is wrong.
By Sulfur

dA
Tumblr (SFW)

Raxbe

i dont wat to say at all :3

Gharial

I know this might be  little on the side of necroing. But I have to say this being a fan of a tv show and getting ridiculed for it like in the case of most bronies is very frustrating. I am a pegasister a otherkin and a FEMALE transformers fan. Not only are all these groups not recognized or respected but one group is  confused about what exactly it is. Its not a religion or a fandom though some people try to make it such its all rather confusing in the Otherkin and Therian community to be honest. Some say were a group of furries not true some say were emos also not true. We are varied people basically a picture of any person you pull off the web could be a person who identifies as therian or otherkin. Trying to figure out what exactly defines a Therian or Otherkin is something no one has done. We cant even figure out why this happens or what exactly it is its not a religion a fandom or exactly an identity so what is it? No one know right now. A lot of groups are in the same situations as Bronies and some have it worse especially groups such as Otherkin and Therians.  Not only do we not know what we are science religion no  one knows how to define us. When theres no words to describe your belief in the English language other than very demeaning or insulting ones then you've got a BIG problem. Therians and Otherkins are NOT bad people we are all very different. Some of us are bad some of us are good. People who try to turn Otherkin or Therian into a religion or demean it by calling it fandom or believe that they can BECOME their theriotype are stirring trouble. Unfortunately these groups are a VOCAL minority. Then look at female transformers fans well I'm going to say it outright I don't keep up with fandoms very well but I never even knew other girls liked transformers until recently. I'm glad I'm not alone. Then I recently became a pegasister and let me say something catching up with a fandom you've only recently joined is hard but the fact that a person can have so much hatred directed at them for liking a tv show????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of all the dumb things this one of THE dumbest. Seriously?! SERIOUSLY?! -sigh- Rant over. I had to get that off my chest sorry.
A note for Transformers fans and Bronies. Never get Unicron and Unicorns confused.

lemongrass

Gee I wish I had a pony Tshirt. Wait, CHRISTMAS! :D

Flagwaver

Gharial, I do completely understand what you mean.

I am a Star Wars costumer, a Halo costumer, a Rennie, a Brony, and a Jedi.  I get it from all sides, as well.

In Star Wars costume and Halo costume, I am called names that I thought went out of style in grade school.  The only thing is, my local group raised over $300,000 for charities this year and we're planning a Christmas Eve trip to a children's hospital for the kids who can't spend Christmas at home.

At Ren Faire, when I am dressed in my home-made plate armor, I have idiots try tripping me, try taking my sword out of its scabbard, and, at one point, say "I wonder if he'll rust" before throwing a full mountain dew in my face.  And, while it felt good since I'm basically a baked potato in the sun, it took me two hours to get out of my armor, clean it, change my clothes, and get the armor back on... making me miss one of my scheduled tournament times.

Finally, I will fully admit that I am a Jedi.  Not as in costumer, but as in philosophical belief system.  I generally keep it to myself, but the few times it has come up, I have received no small amount of heck for it.  I mean, it's actually listed on my ID Tags (military dog tags) and is an officially recognized military religious preference.  However, that doesn't stop the random idiots from making fun.

So, as a brony, I don't see anything that I have not already faced.  I've been called everything under the sun (including a pedophile because I took a job as a mall Santa one year), so I don't even hear it anymore.  However, now I have found a community that is bound by something more than costumes or philosophical interpretation (believe me, there are no two Jedi who interpret things the same way).  And, since arriving, I have seen nothing more than kindness and friendship.

Gharial

Quote from: Flagwaver on 2013 Dec 10, 16:47:50
Gharial, I do completely understand what you mean.

I am a Star Wars costumer, a Halo costumer, a Rennie, a Brony, and a Jedi.  I get it from all sides, as well.

In Star Wars costume and Halo costume, I am called names that I thought went out of style in grade school.  The only thing is, my local group raised over $300,000 for charities this year and we're planning a Christmas Eve trip to a children's hospital for the kids who can't spend Christmas at home.

At Ren Faire, when I am dressed in my home-made plate armor, I have idiots try tripping me, try taking my sword out of its scabbard, and, at one point, say "I wonder if he'll rust" before throwing a full mountain dew in my face.  And, while it felt good since I'm basically a baked potato in the sun, it took me two hours to get out of my armor, clean it, change my clothes, and get the armor back on... making me miss one of my scheduled tournament times.

Finally, I will fully admit that I am a Jedi.  Not as in costumer, but as in philosophical belief system.  I generally keep it to myself, but the few times it has come up, I have received no small amount of heck for it.  I mean, it's actually listed on my ID Tags (military dog tags) and is an officially recognized military religious preference.  However, that doesn't stop the random idiots from making fun.

So, as a brony, I don't see anything that I have not already faced.  I've been called everything under the sun (including a pedophile because I took a job as a mall Santa one year), so I don't even hear it anymore.  However, now I have found a community that is bound by something more than costumes or philosophical interpretation (believe me, there are no two Jedi who interpret things the same way).  And, since arriving, I have seen nothing more than kindness and friendship.
                                                                                                                                                                                       Aye accepting communities get harder and harder to find.. I don't have as much to complain about but a big thing is definitely being kin its frustrating because telling people is very hard especially if your parents are religious they might do who knows what to you then there people who will make fun of you or say you are a retard insane etc. Its frustrating being apart of a community that only gets bad press and isn't even properly studied. Not to mention those teen wolves saying that therianthropy and kin is basically being emo with their videos on youtube those videos are the first thing that come up and don't accurately explain it. Then theres the people who think were just CRAZY furries. I am not a furry. Nor am I insane. Whatever being kin or therian is its not been studied. And most people don't look into it when they hear about it. So we get hate videos on youtube saying were evil and should all die or be locked up. No one bothers to study it and we are relegated to accepting their hate videos because no one studies or clarifies very well what it is. And the fact is no one quite knows what it stems from and until I get scientific proof Im just gonna say its reincarnation because I dont know what else to think. I mean no one knows or bothers to study so its open to interpretation. In fact discovering Im a otherkin has quite possibly led to me becoming a pegasister as I was distrustful of people before and well I was open minded but not trusting I might never have joined this fan base knowing how many bad things are said about the people in it. The fact that dealing with being kin has given me more confidence in myself that Id be willing to join a group where I might get bullied by others for being in that group is well remarkable. I dealt with and am dealing with things no body should just expect to be easy. Its so much more than an identity or anything else its hard to explain in words. A good metaphor for this situation where English fails you is that the people of ancient Greece  had seven words for love and this is honestly a similar situation. There are a lot of words to describe it but they're more like things that are similar not what it actually is.
A note for Transformers fans and Bronies. Never get Unicron and Unicorns confused.

Ramisha

I didn't tell anyone in my school (besides my best friends) that I like ponies.
Although none of them know the new show, so they'd think I like the old stupid cartoons and toys.

I don't really want them to know. They're idiots. They teased me for liking Pokemon before, they stopped but on rare ocassions I still get called a "Pokemon".
Is it really weird for a 11 year old to like Pokemon??? Really??? Idiots.
They think they're so mature with their boyfriends which they break up with in a week.  :l

lemongrass

Ramisha that is like my life story! My friend has been out with pretty much every boy in the schoolbjt always dumps them after a couple of days, then she cries and makes drama("but I still like him but I like this other guy too boohoo) She tells lies just to get attention and says things in a really patronising voice because she thinks it makes her sound 'intelligent'. I am 6months older than her but she thinks she is much more mature, she always says thinks to me like "you'll understand when you grow up"...
Apparently just because I am a brony and don't date people EVERY WEEK she is more mature than me..?

Ramisha

People are noobs.
Although I unfortunately like somepony too  DD: and the worst part is I can't even talk to him. And even stupider than that is the fact I get reeeeeeeeaaaallly jealous every time a girl talks to him.
I'm so selfish lol

Pipkin

Ironically when I started telling people I was a brony, I got different reactions from everyone I expected reactions from.  My parents were ok about it, in fact my mom supports it....kinda.  My "mature" younger brother was ok with it, my other brother still uses derogatory remarks towards me when I visit.  My sister was appalled by it, and still is, while her husband, the one I was really worried about, was ok with it.

Work on the other hand, is a different story.  Certain other managers actually questioned my professionalism as if me liking ponies had anything to do with being a department manager, the most recent comment was "Really *insert name here*?  You're a manager and you have a pony on your keychain!"  What's worse is I actually did see that coming....I didn't want my employees finding out at first because I actually thought that would jeopardize my authority in my own department(I was of course proven wrong)  X3.

So now after all the local drama is over with I have no issues wearing my pony shirts in public.  The first little lump in admitting it is very hard but the freedom afterwards is awesome.

(also how have I never posted in this thread before?)

lemongrass

Lots of people say I can't be a brony because I am a girl. I mean, sure if you wanna be a 'pegasister' but I think 'brony' should be a general term that can be used by everyone.

AaronMk

Most of the folks I'm with couldn't care less, probably because they're unaware enough they won't notice if I put on something ambiguous enough.

#DeposeGothsFromRomanClay

Act One

Quote from: AaronMk on 2014 Apr 19, 18:58:05
Most of the folks I'm with couldn't care less, probably because they're unaware enough they won't notice if I put on something ambiguous enough.

Might be the same case for me, as my circle of friends is quite small, all like RP and one even goes to Fforde Fiestas in the UK (where I'm from). However, they dont mention it, probably wont like it themselves, and I'm not the type that just shouts his hobbies or fandoms in their faces (or even hint it to them).

As for work - I'mma gonna avoid that as much as possible. They're all football/soccer watching, beer swelling, rave hopping, macho stereotypes, of which each one shares one thing with me in common - whether it's the beer drinking, the arty side or just working in the same place.
As for the ladies, most are Middle-aged or older, and generally friendly, but I'd confuse them. They'd probably not give it more than a second thought, so I don't bother bringing it up to perplex them. The younger lot... I just wouldn't trust with it.
All in all, I'm sure whispers would go around the store about it, serious or not. I leave them in the dark for the sake of not having to go in each day and almost expect a jeer, from having to build a reputation for them to expect me being a 27 y.o. whose quiet but dependable, arty but focused on manga art (which they seemed okay with, but manga is more a varied subject, being a style of art rather than a specific genre).

What they don't know, can't harm them - and if it keeps them from getting out pitchforks, I'm happy to keep a tight lip on it for the peace. Not exactly "Love and Tolerate" style, but I don't mind others who think differently to me, just as long as I don't get booed out a building myself.
Experiencing new and unique things - Ready to "Act Out"whenever necessary.
http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=11460.0 My OCs so far - Act One, Pressure Point, Warpcore.

Go Up