My little Pony: Equestria Girls - Movie

Started by Billow Pillow, 2013 Feb 08, 14:38:24

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

The Wandering Magus

I very much appreciated how early on (and I don't think this is a spoiler at all) Twilight admits that just having a crown and wings doesn't make her a leader of any sort, and that she's unprepared for ruling a nation.  It's a point that I had thought lacking before, and I applaud Hasbro for going out of their way to acknowledge it.
(sorry Bakasan, chose this image)
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636
my art: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=298
visiting soldier sister, be back 8/12/2013

super_chris85

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2013 Jun 24, 21:37:27
Spoiler: Actual spoilers • show
Spoiler: Spoilers spoilers • show
Spoiler: Last chance to turn back!! • show

When they changed and got pony ears and wings, it seemed so Sailor Moon. lol
Loved Rainbow Dash doing the "So awesome" face!
Sunset Shimmer's ultimate plan was actually not lame at all, which makes the movie even better.

Overall, it was an extremely awesome movie! :3

Post Merge

Spoiler: Spoilers again • show
I'm gonna guess that the rainbow that the elements of harmony produces has a cleansing effect that clears corruption from the target's heart. But it didn't work on Discord, I guess because he's so different from a corrupted pony.

Spoiler: show
well if you remember Discord isn't really corrupt he is just the embodiment of chaos and he did what he did because he felt like it

paintypalette

Quote from: Pinkie Pie on 2013 Jun 25, 03:04:10
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2013 Jun 24, 23:16:43
Spoiler: Spoilers I just remembered to mention • show
I think pony Pinkie and human Pinkie are connected. ovO
Why is Big Macintosh the only one with normal colored skin?! They could've just given him a kinda pale red color.

WOW. I Can't believe I didn't realize that until now..  o.O I wonder why as well.. O:

because red skin would look waaaaaay creepy..o_O if you ask me, I'll say i like the way big mac has normal colored skin.

The Wandering Magus

also, I like how the villain actually is smart and not stupid xD and how in tune she is with "our" modern world.  who needs magic when you've got tech galore? and twilight's bafflement is priceless xD
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636

Gracie Sky

Since Twilight is an egghead and has been exposed to technology beyond her current comprehension, does that mean there's a possibility Twilight might actually try to replicate it and invent the internet!?
Character Critique Thread

Have your OC fairly and honestly evaluated!

AlDeezy

Just saw it a few days ago and I must say... my expectations were not only met, but were exceeded to the point where I fell in love with the franchise all over again. I went through the same motions too! Jolly good show that. Jolly good.

AND OMAIGAWSH ONE OF MAI FAVES PART WAS WHEN
THE WHOLE MOVIE.

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: Gracie Sky on 2013 Jun 25, 20:39:52
Since Twilight is an egghead and has been exposed to technology beyond her current comprehension, does that mean there's a possibility Twilight might actually try to replicate it and invent the internet!?
not sure if want xD

Midnight Breeze

PrincessButton

Quote from: paintypalette on 2013 Jun 25, 16:20:13
Quote from: Pinkie Pie on 2013 Jun 25, 03:04:10
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2013 Jun 24, 23:16:43
Spoiler: Spoilers I just remembered to mention • show
I think pony Pinkie and human Pinkie are connected. ovO
Why is Big Macintosh the only one with normal colored skin?! They could've just given him a kinda pale red color.

WOW. I Can't believe I didn't realize that until now..  o.O I wonder why as well.. O:

because red skin would look waaaaaay creepy..o_O if you ask me, I'll say i like the way big mac has normal colored skin.
I agree, but purple skin was creepy, and so were many of the other colours of skin..
[Avatar drawn by Dusky Hues; Thank you!]

Chishio Kunrin

2013 Jun 25, 22:35:42 #169 Last Edit: 2013 Jun 25, 22:39:23 by Chishio Kunrin
Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2013 Jun 25, 22:19:54
My main complaint:

I don't like that
Spoiler: Yes, an actual spoiler again • show
Twilight actually does get a crush on Brad/Flash Sentry, and they mentioned that he's Sunset's ex. At least they didn't go super heavy on the romance, and she didn't get all "I'm gonna write Twilight Sparkle + Flash Sentry on my notebook and draw hearts around it" like girls typically do in high school movies/shows. She just blushed, walked away, and moved on with focusing on other things that were important.

I still don't much like it, though, and they better leave it out of season 4.

Post Merge

Oh, and I have a question.
Spoiler: Spoilery question • show
Did they ever say who last ran against Sunset for princess? I can't remember if they did. The whole time, I was sitting there thinking "I bet it was Rarity. Rarity's the girl who tried to run against her, right? I bet it was her."

I thought it because I remembered pony Rarity saying that if she was a princess, she'd never take her crown off.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Gracie Sky

I like how Twilight Sparkle can be physically attracted to something of a completely different race. Is it because she happens to be in the body of the same race as the guy? Does that somehow change her preferences? Is this even the first time she has felt attraction to something male? Perhaps the fact that she is in a human body is the reason she even felt attraction since I've never seen any sort of hint suggesting she's looking for a significant other to that point. Perhaps the hormones in a teenage human body caused a chemical reaction that... I have no idea what I'm talking about. >A<
Character Critique Thread

Have your OC fairly and honestly evaluated!

The Wandering Magus

@Chishio:
Twilight Sparkle: You'll look out for her, won't you?
Rarity: Of course we will. Although I do expect some sort of apology for last spring's debacle.

I think it was Rarity.

@Gracie: sounds like a reasonable guess.

Blues-Music

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2013 Jun 25, 22:19:54
My main complaint:

first of all I would like to say that that is a great voice! Second if the mirror could change species and dimensions why not change age as well? Also it could be because pony years are different from human years

The Wandering Magus

The Cakes foals could talk and run at one month, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that pony-human age conversion is sort of twisted.  Maybe the mirror's conversion took "close enough to adult pony" and changed it to "just about eighteen, but not, human/anthro".  Which would be "High School Senior".

Chishio Kunrin

2013 Jun 26, 19:54:27 #174 Last Edit: 2013 Jun 26, 19:56:33 by Chishio Kunrin
Quote from: The Wandering Magus on 2013 Jun 26, 11:08:29
The Cakes foals could talk and run at one month, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that pony-human age conversion is sort of twisted.  Maybe the mirror's conversion took "close enough to adult pony" and changed it to "just about eighteen, but not, human/anthro".  Which would be "High School Senior".

And the CMC were freshmen, by the looks of things.
So I guess...
Young child pony, able to read, write, do math, build things on their own, wander town on their own, starting to really learn their talent = Freshman age humanoid anthroish person thing?

After all, a lot of people don't start settling on what they job they want until late middle school or some time in high school.

Note: I'm kind of imagining the set up where middle school is grades 6-8 and high school is grades 9-12.

Post Merge

Heheh. So the humanoid CMC are about trying to figure out what job they want to grow up to have, rather than what cutie mark they'll get. :P I wonder if they try to go tour colleges and mess with things.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Dawnstar

2013 Jun 27, 00:33:59 #175 Last Edit: 2013 Jun 27, 00:41:17 by Dawnstar
Watched it through the previously posted link, and I will admit it was not what I was expecting. In a good way mind you, I actually liked it much to my surprise.

In regards toward the alternate reality bit, that's all I really saw it as. An entirely different world that just happens to have striking similarities between individuals. I think one of Rarity's lines may have even hinted at there being another Twilight Sparkle native to that reality (was something like: you look just like a girl I met in this other city with a dog just like him. or something, I'd have to watch it again to confirm).

If true, this would make Sunset Shimmer the only individual with no hinted at counterpart and accentuates just how out of place Twilight really is and why Celestia warned against them all going (Honestly, I wonder if Sunset may even be native to the human world, if not then she's definitely acclimated to it since it seems she's been there a while already).

As far as age discrepancies between Equestria and the human world, well, I'll just leave that as plot point and disregard because as I said, they're two different groups of individuals who just happen to be very similar. They don't have to be exactly the same which wouldn't even work very well given the theme of the movie.

That said, it was still a little strange and not something I would normally watch (ironically, I thought the same about the TV show itself), and definitely not on a level where I would've seen it in theaters in person, but it wasn't bad either and I'll probably watch it again down the line. Especially since it's got a few points with Twilight as a pony getting more comfortable with her new position as a princess.

Edit: As for the whole romance thing. Eh...I will admit I hope they really don't push it in upcoming seasons of the show, but seeing as how Twilight is an intelligent individual, I would say she started liking him so much because of how much he was actually helping her and how nice he was being towards her (and yes, the hormones of her new body probably didn't help) but overall I'd say it was an attraction of personality rather than "a romance for the sake of a romance."

Tiger

2013 Jun 27, 08:13:51 #176 Last Edit: 2013 Jun 27, 08:33:25 by Tiger
Watched it from Pinkie's link...

That was really friggin awesome.

Also, Sunset Shimmer's demon form is creepy.

Although, the one thing that really irks me is that the human ponies instantly believe Twilight that she's from another dimension and whatnot. Hrrm.
And the resolution was kind of... hrrrmpphh. I was expecting Sunset Shimmer to turn on Twilight when she helped her up. I also find it weird all the pony names aren't considered weird in the human world.

I couldn't catch the real name of 'Brad' though. What was it?

And Spike is a really good dog. Able to build a whole book bed with only his mouth to work with.

All in all, ponies.
[spoiler]The EQG dolls look horrendous.
[/spoiler]

A link to my tumblr above!
Tiger's OC page. Should re-do it...

Dawnstar

I believe his name is Flash Sentry, and the reason they probably stuck with the pony names was likely for simplicity's sake. Granted if you imagine the human reality using that way of naming for as long as equestria has then I doubt it would seem as weird to them.

Also, I will admit, Sunset's reaction at the end did seem a bit off. Granted she did get harmonized in the same way Luna did at the beginning of the series so that would be why she didn't turn on Twilight at that point.

Tiger

2013 Jun 27, 10:00:02 #178 Last Edit: 2013 Jun 27, 10:35:09 by Tiger
Quote from: Dawnstar on 2013 Jun 27, 08:44:29
I believe his name is Flash Sentry, and the reason they probably stuck with the pony names was likely for simplicity's sake. Granted if you imagine the human reality using that way of naming for as long as equestria has then I doubt it would seem as weird to them.

Also, I will admit, Sunset's reaction at the end did seem a bit off. Granted she did get harmonized in the same way Luna did at the beginning of the series so that would be why she didn't turn on Twilight at that point.

Flash Sentry is a weird name.

And the animation is really good :U

A link to my tumblr above!
Tiger's OC page. Should re-do it...

Night Pony

Watched it. Overall the movie felt like a two parter episode that starts/ends a season. The quality is just what I expected from the MLP staff.  ^-^

The only complain? Fix the proportions.  DD: But I'll look past that since the staff is used to draw ponies rather than humans.

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

Go Up