Season 5 Discussion

Started by Weatherboy1, 2014 Jan 31, 19:17:56

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Chishio Kunrin

Spoiler: Rarity Investigates • show
This episode was really neat and funny, though I don't see how what Rainbow Dash was accused of was a crime. I'm not entirely sure I understand why she would've been kicked out of the Wonderbolts, unless they have a really big rule against sabotaging each other, which would make sense. If you're willing to sabotage a fellow Wonderbolt, you can't be trusted.

Anyway, Rarity's dialogue was really funny and entertaining!
"We'll get to the bottom of this faster than my costume changes!" lol

I am kinda sad that they didn't slip in any Phoenix Wright references. They could've done something like
Wind Rider: Then, where's your evidence?
Rarity: *Takes out the bag of Rainbow Dash's hair* TAKE THAT! *Explains the evidence*

Either way, a really enjoyable episode.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Moon Pearl

Spoiler: show
A really fun episode. The RariDash pairing really does have potential. The story and the Noir feeling, paired with that Jazz backgroung, the pizzazz that Rarity displayed when sweet talking to the Mail Pony and the guards, the moments of fangirling and adorkableness of Dashie. This episode is a 10 out of 10. I'll watch it again. This is why I think that Rarity is best Pony

All Units. Battle Formation. Break Through the Front

Jcfraven

The only real conflict I have with the core of the recent episode is I had too high of hope it would be something similar to Phoenix Wright("Normal" Games or Ace Attorney Investigations, either one would've been fine with me), so when it didn't follow that idea, it led a bad taste in my mouth. This is similar to how if you drink something like a Coke for the first time, and you're told it's amazing, and you drink it, and it's flat, a different drink entirely, etc., it ends up leaving a bad impression of the drink, even if the true drink is good.

With the episode itself, it was good, but not without flaws. I liked the continuous monologue with Rarity, and the overall environment, created by the black and white, the storm, etc.. The primary issue I have with the episode itself is the fact that they didn't really set up the crime well enough, in my opinion. Sure, it is technically a kids show, but there were easy ways to fix some of the big issues with it. First, the motive was fairly weak to me. The logic of it made sense, but it wasn't really built up, it was just thrown in there. The biggest problems with that are below:

-If he cared that much about his record, then why didn't he try to keep it throughout the years?
-He's apparently never met nor seen Rainbow Dash prior to this day, he wouldn't really feel threatened until he did.
-What did Rainbow Dash really do in the first place?

Apart from the motive, there's also the investigation part, the meat of the episode. These are my thoughts in that:

-The majority of it was more or less jokes and basic conversing, yet supposedly there was a lot of logic done behind-the-scenes with Rarity. Why didn't they try to showcase some of it?
-The connections she made seemed to be there just to serve the plot. She may know Canterlot, but how would she know only one store made a cake of custom nature such as that? It's too big of a connection with such little information.

Then there's the accusation and conclusion portion of the episode. Honestly, I liked the style of explanation, and I think they did a good job with it. However, like with the rest, it's not without its issues:

-How did the cut-off hair tie to Windrider?
-What did he have against Spitfire to make her travel to an environment of seemingly dangerous nature, for a task of personal importance to her?
-Why was he still wearing the tie that he did that accidental spill onto? Wouldn't he have other ties?
-They never really bothered to let Windrider have a proper argument, which I found was a poor choice of direction, personally, as it's always interesting to watch a battle of logic and reasoning.

Speaking of the primary villain of this episode, he himself has issues of his own, story and character alike:

-He's the most important Wonderbolt in its history, yet he wasn't mentioned during "Testing, Testing, 123"(or whatever the episode was called). Why is that?
-Rainbow Dash never has mentioned one peep about him, yet apparently he's of the biggest importance to her?
-If he's so important, why did he never speak to the Wonderbolt Academy Cadets? He must've caught wind of what occurred.
-He stated he was coming out of retirement, yet never was it stated why. Also, is that actually a thing to begin with?
-His first encounter was with Rarity, knowing she was with Rainbow Dash, but didn't bother to do anything with her?
-Why is it that he is yet another pony that's actually a villain in nature(or for some cases an unintentional antagonist)? Can't there be one that isn't that way for Rarity?

I could go on, but I'm a bit tired, and my phone is close to dead. My final rating for this episode is a 6/10. Even though there were a lot of questionable things, and a fair bit of negative, it was fairly enjoyable, and the environment was fantastic as well. I look forward to the next episode!

LostSanity

Here are my S5E15 thoughts:

I really liked this episode. I really did.

Then again I like mystery stuff so that may be part of why.

However, parts of it legitimately made me laugh. And there were surprising cute moments from Rainbow Dash.

No Ace Attorney/Spiral moment. That would have made the episode better for me.

But I enjoyed it all the same.

Another GREAT episode.

:D
[shadow=gray,left]I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT REIGNS[/shadow]

The Roman Reigns of the forum

Necroceine

I think I need to watch this episode again to say what my real thoughts were, but for now I will say I hope we see this duo featured more in future episodes.

Spacecase101

2015 Sep 21, 11:21:42 #205 Last Edit: 2015 Sep 21, 15:49:18 by Spacecase101
Wierd. I prebought the season from Amazon and it was a Fluttershy Episode Titled "Scare Master" not the Rarity one. Amazon needs to get on the ball. Lol

LIFE AS STRANGE AS IT SEEMS.
IT LIES ON ITS SIDE AND SCREAMS!!
We are many...We are one...HOMELINGS!! Mucho of de Wooting!!

Jcfraven

Quote from: Spacecase101 on 2015 Sep 21, 11:21:42
Wierd. I prebought the season from Amazon and it was a Fluttershy Episode Titled "The scare Master" not the Rarity one. Amazon needs to get on the ball. Lol

I heard something about the episodes eventually being switched, I think. The Scare Master ended up being Episode 21, I think, which was leaked in its entirety by Apple/Itunes.

Spacecase101

Quote from: Jcfraven on 2015 Sep 21, 11:45:26
I heard something about the episodes eventually being switched, I think. The Scare Master ended up being Episode 21, I think, which was leaked in its entirety by Apple/Itunes.
Ah I see. Makes sence.

Dawnstar

I think that's the one that's supposed to air around Halloween, but I'm not sure. Either way I'm not gonna watch it until it's supposed to air because then I won't have an episode to look forward to that weekend.

Moon Pearl

2015 Sep 24, 01:18:21 #209 Last Edit: 2015 Sep 24, 01:20:01 by Moon Pearl
What I think of this episode?

We need to pair these two more often  o.O ;)

Please support me on Derpibooru. It doesn't cost nothing and you don't have to donate anything n_n. And no, I'm not using reverse psychology.

All Units. Battle Formation. Break Through the Front

LostSanity

Oh goodie. I'm the first to post S5E16 thoughts.

Anyway here they are:

This one was another good one.

I really liked the theme of this episode. Which seemed to me to be "doing something doesn't have to be extravagant, even the littlest things you can do go a long way"

I also liked seeing Coco Pommel again. I really like her character.

Overall it was a decent episode.

:)

Additional note: Are the Rarity episodes over now? It's not that I don't like Rarity, it's just she's had three episodes in a row now. We need to see other characters.

X3

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: LostSanity on 2015 Sep 27, 18:16:37
Oh goodie. I'm the first to post S5E16 thoughts.

Anyway here they are:

This one was another good one.

I really liked the theme of this episode. Which seemed to me to be "doing something doesn't have to be extravagant, even the littlest things you can do go a long way"

I also liked seeing Coco Pommel again. I really like her character.

Overall it was a decent episode.

Additional note: Are the Rarity episodes over now? It's not that I don't like Rarity, it's just she's had three episodes in a row now. We need to see other characters.

X3

Yes, the Rarity episodes are over. Next episode is Brotherhooves Social.

LostSanity

Well... now that Netflix has apparently revealed the rest of the episodes for this season and synopsis for them...

It seems like...

The finale is looking more and more like it's literally Final Fantasy XIII-2 (going through the timeline and fixing a paradox)

Not that I mind though.

It's something I'll at least have knowledge of and maybe I'll be able to explain it?

Don't count on me for that though.

:s

Chishio Kunrin

2015 Sep 29, 22:54:13 #213 Last Edit: 2015 Sep 29, 22:56:28 by Chishio Kunrin
Quote from: LostSanity on 2015 Sep 29, 18:10:35
Well... now that Netflix has apparently revealed the rest of the episodes for this season and synopsis for them...

It seems like...

The finale is looking more and more like it's literally Final Fantasy XIII-2 (going through the timeline and fixing a paradox)

Not that I mind though.

It's something I'll at least have knowledge of and maybe I'll be able to explain it?

Don't count on me for that though.

:s

That was actually sort of spoiled at the end of Equestria Girls: Friendship Games.
But also...
Spoiler: Super duper spoilery spoiler surprise • show
Spoiler: No, seriously, spoilers about a cinematic video from a panel • show
Spoiler: Last chance • show
O: At SDCC, they showed a cinematic from the finale, where Twilight was giving a lecture about how Rainbow Dash's Sonic Rainboom led to all six of the mane six getting their cutie marks, and Starlight Glimmer was in the audience!!! And then Twilight and Spike find Starlight in the map room of Twilight's castle!!!

Spacecase101

No one noticed the Charlie Brown pony?

Naura

Spoiler: Brotherhooves Social • show

Judging by the title of the episode, I thought we were going to see only brothers play the games, but I was wrong, and I like the way it turned out a lot better.

Anyways, in the beginning I was scared they were only going to use "Eeyup" and "Nope" but that took a change, and his voice had me smiling like crazy. There was nice to see there were more activites than the race. And in the end where he explained, I dunno if I'd had too much chocolate, but I shed some tears. I also like how it ended up that you don't have to win for them to love you again, just talking solves it.
This was a good episode, I can see some of my friends relating to this strongly.
Feel free to check out my [URL=http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=11982.0]Oc page[/URL]!

Dawnstar

I liked how much of a focus they put on Big Mac this episode since we haven't seen as much into his character as we have the other members of the Apple family.

Especially since he's been the only adult sibling to a member of the main cast (Fluttershy's upcoming brother excluded) so we got that "living in a family member's shadow" perspective.

His acting as "Orchard Blossom" was pretty funny too.

Though I was cringing during a lot of the antics, but not because they were bad. It was like watching a train wreck. Awful, but you can't help but watch.

Was also nice to see Rainbow and Scoots participating. With the way those two have developed anyone on the outside who didn't know they weren't sisters wouldn't be able to tell. Plus it was fun watching their little pep talks.

Also, I think this now means that Apple Bloom and Apple Jack are the only sister pair who haven't won a social yet. Rarity and Sweetie Belle won the first one we saw, and now Rainbow and Scootaloo won this one due to technicality.

On a final note I have to wonder what the implications of ponies wearing heels are, because here on earth heels and high heels originally came from the footwear horse riders used to wear. Makes me curious how something similar developed on their world.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Dawnstar on 2015 Oct 04, 11:47:06
I liked how much of a focus they put on Big Mac this episode since we haven't seen as much into his character as we have the other members of the Apple family.

Especially since he's been the only adult sibling to a member of the main cast (Fluttershy's upcoming brother excluded) so we got that "living in a family member's shadow" perspective.

His acting as "Orchard Blossom" was pretty funny too.

Though I was cringing during a lot of the antics, but not because they were bad. It was like watching a train wreck. Awful, but you can't help but watch.

Was also nice to see Rainbow and Scoots participating. With the way those two have developed anyone on the outside who didn't know they weren't sisters wouldn't be able to tell. Plus it was fun watching their little pep talks.

Also, I think this now means that Apple Bloom and Apple Jack are the only sister pair who haven't won a social yet. Rarity and Sweetie Belle won the first one we saw, and now Rainbow and Scootaloo won this one due to technicality.

On a final note I have to wonder what the implications of ponies wearing heels are, because here on earth heels and high heels originally came from the footwear horse riders used to wear. Makes me curious how something similar developed on their world.

That's how high heels were developed? Huh. Makes sense. Only thing I had heard about it was that high heels were originally worn by men, not women.

And hey, how did saddles and bridles come to be in Equestria?
And Twilight once said not to look a gift horse in the mouth. I wonder how that phrase developed in their world, considering that, in our world, it developed from horse ownership. You can tell a horse's age by looking at their teeth, and horses within a certain age range, not too young and not too old, are worth more money. If you're given a horse as a gift, checking its age is like looking at the price tag, so it's considered rude.

I got a little teary-eyed at the end of the episode. :') That scene was so sweet!

And I like how the writers didn't treat Big Mac wearing a dress as a huge joke, constantly prodding us that "Haha, boys don't wear dresses, hahaha, this is so funny, ha!" The comedy surrounding Orchard Bloom mainly came from his her attitude, dialogue, and mishaps. And I like how Big Mac even mentioned he wished he would've worn something more casual. That formal dress style was the real problem behind his clumsy mishaps, not just that he was wearing girly clothes. A dress and high heels isn't a very practical outfit for something like that. lol

I'm also glad Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle didn't laugh at him for wearing a dress. The only comment was really "That's Big Mac in a dress," pointing out that they weren't fooled by the disguise. And the judges just rolled with it, like "Okay, if he wants to participate in the Social dressed as a mare, that's his thing." ovO You do you, Big Mac.

Dawnstar

2015 Oct 04, 13:14:45 #218 Last Edit: 2015 Oct 04, 13:17:02 by Dawnstar
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2015 Oct 04, 12:13:12
That's how high heels were developed? Huh. Makes sense. Only thing I had heard about it was that high heels were originally worn by men, not women.

And hey, how did saddles and bridles come to be in Equestria?
And Twilight once said not to look a gift horse in the mouth. I wonder how that phrase developed in their world, considering that, in our world, it developed from horse ownership. You can tell a horse's age by looking at their teeth, and horses within a certain age range, not too young and not too old, are worth more money. If you're given a horse as a gift, checking its age is like looking at the price tag, so it's considered rude.

I got a little teary-eyed at the end of the episode. :') That scene was so sweet!

And I like how the writers didn't treat Big Mac wearing a dress as a huge joke, constantly prodding us that "Haha, boys don't wear dresses, hahaha, this is so funny, ha!" The comedy surrounding Orchard Bloom mainly came from his her attitude, dialogue, and mishaps. And I like how Big Mac even mentioned he wished he would've worn something more casual. That formal dress style was the real problem behind his clumsy mishaps, not just that he was wearing girly clothes. A dress and high heels isn't a very practical outfit for something like that. lol

I'm also glad Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle didn't laugh at him for wearing a dress. The only comment was really "That's Big Mac in a dress," pointing out that they weren't fooled by the disguise. And the judges just rolled with it, like "Okay, if he wants to participate in the Social dressed as a mare, that's his thing." ovO You do you, Big Mac.

Yeah, the first heeled shoes were developed to help keep horse riders in the saddle. Particularly horse archers who had to stand up while riding a lot in order to shoot. The stirrup would get hooked in the groove between the ball of the shoe and the heel which kept their feet from sliding around when they were moving and twisting around.

They actually didn't become a fashion item until the idea of "impractical means fashionable" started to develop somewhere between medieval and victorian Europe (not sure which time period) because they were designed purely for riding horses and were almost impossible to walk in.

Interestingly I think they were still considered mens' wear at the time. Heels being womens' wear is actually a pretty new thing.

Also, I actually didn't know that about the "gift horse in the mouth" saying. Thanks for enlightening me.  :]

And yeah, I loved how nopony bought Big Mac's disguise for a second. Sweetie and Scoot's reactions were hilarious and even Rainbow totally called him on it.

LostSanity

Here are my thoughts for S5E17:

Once Big Mac showed up in drag, I couldn't stop from laughing, but, at times, asking myself "What the heck am I watching?!"

I always feel good when I laugh.  ^-^

Seeing Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo as "sisters" made me smile too. That was cute and very awesome of Rainbow Dash.

I kind of liked the ending too. Finally Big Mac spoke longer and in full sentences!! Amazing!!  O:

Another GREAT episode.

Go Up