A guide for downloading and running the game. (Updated)

Started by Rissian, 2013 Jul 06, 11:29:51

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Rissian

For those having trouble running the game I'll try to assist you as much as I can with instructions, I can try helping somewhat with getting it running but first before asking for help in this topic you need to try this guide depending on the error.

Step 1 downloading :
The easiest way to currently download the game is with google chrome it works instantly on the download site, Firefox and Opera work but they're harder to download it with due to the way that the host handles files. Internet Explorer I have not tested yet. Firefox seems to not like asking for a consent so sometimes the download fails on it. Only the latest version of Opera works with that site as well.

Step 2 Extracting the game.
LoE is compressed using 7zip you must extract the game before you run it or it will not work at all.

Winrar and 7zip should both work fine for extraction.

7-zip http://www.7-zip.org/

Winrar http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Once you get either one drag and dropping  the LoE download to a folder with a right click should yield this menu.

The 7zip process is the same except you use the 7 zip menu tab that you can see in the screenshot.

Step 3 : Running the game for multiple versions of Windows.

Sometimes the game's login button will not work. That's because of Windows Vista and Windows 7 UAC Security. XP should work instantly. To fix this in Vista and Windows 7 right click LoE's exe and hit run as administrator that will avoid any UAC issues when the game tries to login. I can't help with Mac or Linux as my only Linux is a Debian server without a monitor connected via console to my PC and I don't have a mac.

Various error messages. :
Often you will recieve server side errors due the the sheer amount of people wanting to play right now, 508 is one of those errors. All you can do is keep trying to login at slow paces so the servers don't get even more overloaded. I haven't received enough error messages so just tell me if you receive more than 508 and I'll try and help sometimes I may be busy though so don't expect a instant response.  x3

Solutions to various problems.  (Windows/XP/Vista/7/8) :

#1 : If you ever need to reset LoE back to default settings press the Windows logo key + r at the same time, and type appdata then browse to LocalLow then LoE then Legends of Equestria and delete the settings data. Deleting the settings data will restore LoE's default settings, you will have to re-enter your password even if it's saved for the login button to work again.

#2 Broken login button. (Vista/7/8) (Listing this twice in case someone misses it.)
If the login button does not respond exit the game and make sure you right click LoE.exe and click run as administrator I assume this is due to LoE using the Windows appdata which is protected by the UAC in newer versions of Windows. This doe s not affect WinXP. If it still does not work exit the game and start it again with run as administrator like last time.

#3 (Pending)

Ründo

This pretty much sums up most, if not all, the posted "I need help" threads  ovO
good job
Currently: staring into space
Was: working on Tekner's MLP Minecraft Mod
Playing: Minecraft, Space Engineers, Cities: Skylines

Rissian

I can't help much with Linux or MacOSX someone else will have to, my only Linux is a debian server without a monitor, so I can't test or try to install LoE on it. I can only use the console on it. Since it has no monitor I can't test it, and the hookup is VGA only I think. I can help with Windows OS's and hardware trouble though. I used to have Ubuntu on this desktop but I deleted it.

Cerebrate

I'm stickying this, as it does cover most posts that people are making. Thanks for writing it.

Ründo

Now if we're lucky, they'll stop posting I need help threads...
Currently: staring into space
Was: working on Tekner's MLP Minecraft Mod
Playing: Minecraft, Space Engineers, Cities: Skylines

Star Strider

Is there a download link other than Mega? Its not working at all for me on firefox. Can someone put it up on mediafire or make a torrent?

Executioner ³ ² ¤ ½

2013 Jul 07, 00:50:18 #7 Last Edit: 2013 Jul 07, 00:54:43 by Executioner ³ ² ¤ ½
I get this everytime i try to login
Read the forum rules.

sportakus1

dont get any problem now,i log in without running in admin.....lucky day i have!
i am a brony from MLP online forum
(and an active pony in that website too)

Tiger

Quote from: Executioner ³ ² ¤ ½ on 2013 Jul 07, 00:50:18
I get this everytime i try to login

It's a similar problem to the 508 problem, but possibly a different number. Just keep trying until you can choose a server.

A link to my tumblr above!
Tiger's OC page. Should re-do it...

Pipkin

For Mac OSX Users, may want to read this, this was posted by Lacoltmalle Tail

Quote"For OS X users. The Mac version of the game was compiled with windows, which doesn't understand how the applications works, so that's why LoE isn't running. Your version of Unity or Unity Webplayer does not affect whether a unity game will run or not.

What you need to do is fix the permissions for the .app file. Here's a little command file that'll do it for you. https://www.dropbox.com/s/5np64wa2dqdqe12/LoE_OS_X_fix.zip

Just put the file in the same folder that you have the LoE_OSX application file in (and make sure it's called LoE_OSX or it won't work) and then open the .command file. A Terminal window will open and close and the game should work. Have Fun!"

I downloaded that command prompt, put it in the same folder LoE is in (I made a dedicated Legends of Equestria folder on my desktop, though based on your video it looks more like it's in your Apps folder, whatever folder you have it in, make sure it's in the same one).  I clicked the command prompt, the terminal window popped open then out.  Then I clicked on the LoE logo.  It immediately appeared in my dock, and the LoE welcome screen music has never sounded so peaceful after so much frustration.  Hope this helps!

I don't know enough about Mac to know if this works and I can't test it but it seemed to work for at least 2 ponies on here so I think it works

MrDeLoop

Hey all! Sorry to join the countless others shouting for help from the pit of despair, but I can't seem to find any solutions for this.
Rather than the 508 errors, I seem to be getting this gem.

Huh. I'm on Windows, and I've tried redownloading the source files/deleting the saved settings in appdata. It's weird because I got the game working twice yesterday. From the looks of it, it's like I have to wait for various files to finish "downloading", but I kept the login open overnight and nothing happened.  :o

Talguy21

I've had another problem altogether. I got the game running earlier today without a hitch, but then it disconnected me due to a 'timeout' in my connection. Whenever I try to log in now, I get this:

It worked fine earlier, and this is after server selection. I've retried several times with and without admin permissions. Any fix?

Cotton Ball

Why can't they make a kid version of all these downloads like a simpler version because alot of my friends want to play during stress test but they don't know how to do this  >.<
[move][/move]
Don't be a salad, be the best broccoli you could ever be.

Rissian

Quote from: Talguy21 on 2013 Jul 07, 14:17:22
I've had another problem altogether. I got the game running earlier today without a hitch, but then it disconnected me due to a 'timeout' in my connection. Whenever I try to log in now, I get this:

It worked fine earlier, and this is after server selection. I've retried several times with and without admin permissions. Any fix?

Either the server is too busy or it crashed.

Cotton if I have permission from the mods I can upload a zipped one instead of 7zip which should never have been used in the first place you and your friends could easily download, and upload it to a more browser friendly host.

GravityDerp

Okay so I downloaded it and my dad and I are confused that the game itself won't load.... And this seems really complicated with the 7zip stuff and neither of us can figure it out. Also we downloaded the game and kind find the file anywhere even though we saved it to downloads.
Well.... still trying to figure out this website.

BrilliantBolt

I am having so much trouble downloading.  :l >:O I have downloaded the file in firefox and google chrome and no luck! I downloaded the 7zip and still no luck! It wont open the file. Please Help!!!

Pipkin

Quote from: MrDeLoop on 2013 Jul 07, 06:05:36
Hey all! Sorry to join the countless others shouting for help from the pit of despair, but I can't seem to find any solutions for this.
Rather than the 508 errors, I seem to be getting this gem.

Huh. I'm on Windows, and I've tried redownloading the source files/deleting the saved settings in appdata. It's weird because I got the game working twice yesterday. From the looks of it, it's like I have to wait for various files to finish "downloading", but I kept the login open overnight and nothing happened.  :o

Gosh this took forever to find again.  Apparently this should work but it looks like you tried this already
Quote from: Kit on 2013 Jul 07, 11:14:19
Quote from: EddieScotch on 2013 Jul 07, 04:44:36
Anyone else got a problem with "downloading game files" error when logging in? Comes up with a list and the only item that's finished is "Item Atlas".

This should be the solution for at least Windows:

Delete all files in Users\(your_user_name)\AppData\LocalLow\LoE\Legends of Equestria\data

The contents you delete look like this:

Then you just run the game.  No need to uninstall, reinstall, redownload, reextract, reetc.  ^-^

Quote from: GravityDerp on 2013 Jul 07, 22:47:07
Okay so I downloaded it and my dad and I are confused that the game itself won't load.... And this seems really complicated with the 7zip stuff and neither of us can figure it out. Also we downloaded the game and kind find the file anywhere even though we saved it to downloads.

Quote from: BrilliantBolt on 2013 Jul 07, 22:59:03
I am having so much trouble downloading.  :l >:O I have downloaded the file in firefox and google chrome and no luck! I downloaded the 7zip and still no luck! It wont open the file. Please Help!!!

7Zip is a compressed archive, you should be able to extract the contents into it's own folder using a program like 7-zip and WinRAR.  The links for these extractors can be found in Trege's first post on this thread

kimplix

Quote from: Pipkin on 2013 Jul 07, 04:43:17
For Mac OSX Users, may want to read this, this was posted by Lacoltmalle Tail

Quote"For OS X users. The Mac version of the game was compiled with windows, which doesn't understand how the applications works, so that's why LoE isn't running. Your version of Unity or Unity Webplayer does not affect whether a unity game will run or not.

What you need to do is fix the permissions for the .app file. Here's a little command file that'll do it for you. https://www.dropbox.com/s/5np64wa2dqdqe12/LoE_OS_X_fix.zip

Just put the file in the same folder that you have the LoE_OSX application file in (and make sure it's called LoE_OSX or it won't work) and then open the .command file. A Terminal window will open and close and the game should work. Have Fun!"

I downloaded that command prompt, put it in the same folder LoE is in (I made a dedicated Legends of Equestria folder on my desktop, though based on your video it looks more like it's in your Apps folder, whatever folder you have it in, make sure it's in the same one).  I clicked the command prompt, the terminal window popped open then out.  Then I clicked on the LoE logo.  It immediately appeared in my dock, and the LoE welcome screen music has never sounded so peaceful after so much frustration.  Hope this helps!

I don't know enough about Mac to know if this works and I can't test it but it seemed to work for at least 2 ponies on here so I think it works

Thank you so much! I had problems with the application due to it only bouncing once and doing nothing afterwards. You sir/miss are a God!

Edit: It worked alright, But now I'm getting this after trying to login the game

I'm happy yet sad at the same time after seeing this. Any ideas what to do?

MrDeLoop

Quote from: Pipkin on 2013 Jul 07, 23:29:17
Gosh this took forever to find again.  Apparently this should work but it looks like you tried this already

Oh hey, thanks a bunch! I didn't delete all the data, but now I've got it working. You rock!  :3

Go Up