Roleplay Assistance and Tips! Posts now allowed! Contributions to the thread too

Started by Teal Turken, 2012 Oct 18, 10:10:24

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Dark Hooves

I know this is stated in the forum rules, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to post it here for everypony. Powerplaying is the willful or unwillful control of an outcome that happens to another's OC (like a battle pitting one OC against another) or controlling another's OC without their permission. This is rather annoying and disrupts the RP.
<br /><br />everypony is capable of great good or great evil but everypony should be treated like their worth giving a chance<br /><br />My OCs. http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=6860.0

Weremetalwolf

Quote from: Dark Hooves on 2015 Apr 26, 09:15:17
I know this is stated in the forum rules, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to post it here for everypony. Powerplaying is the willful or unwillful control of an outcome that happens to another's OC (like a battle pitting one OC against another) or controlling another's OC without their permission. This is rather annoying and disrupts the RP.

I agree with you, I've already seen many times people god-modding the other person character and get really annoyed if they don't do what they planned. The last one I remember seeing was a pegasus throwing other two to a wall with their wings to put them KO. Aside from the fact that it's really unlikely that a pegasus' wings would be strong enough to cause that, saying that they were going to make them faint is considering god-modding, hence is against the rules. I was about to intervene but seeing that the other user apologized, I let it slip for this time.
Being myself a roleplayer, I find it extremely annoying when something like this happens because it takes out the chance for the other person to do anything. I mean, are we playing together or are you playing on your own?
In my opinion, what could be used is being vague about what going to happen or do something like "OC is going to do this to the other OC" so that the other person would have to decide what to do next instead of finding a way to go around it.
<br />My channel<br />My DA<br /><br />

annosrules

Standard RP Combat educate (IMO) is to declare your attack type and target, as well as any situation modifiers, and allowing the other player to respond with the result. And if you are being attacked, don't dismiss it outright and be sure to at least take a few hits. Finally, if you want a specific interaction between two player's OC's, then a private message can get you a lot closer than leading into it through RP posts, or just outright saying it happens and get everyone really angry with you.

Vick McBread

Quote from: Teal Turken on 2013 Nov 04, 14:53:48
Edited out a few grammar issues pointed out by Chirp. Thank you. ^-^

Post Merge

I also found a bunch of grammar mistakes on my own. x3

YOU KNOW CHRIP! O:
Vick McBread; the small orange pegasus stallion is BACK!
Steam: -CHA- Vick McBread
I do RPs. Here, and on steam.
I just wanna say "hello."

Dusky Hues

This is a great thread, really, truly, and I was wondering how everyone would feel about me making a separate post about 'Para' style roleplaying or 'Verbose Response Roleplaying', as it's sometimes also called. I was going to start talking about it here, and realized I'd hate for a discussion on Para-RP to detract from this thread or even derail it.

PrincessButton

Quote from: Dusky Hues on 2016 Mar 02, 12:49:07
This is a great thread, really, truly, and I was wondering how everyone would feel about me making a separate post about 'Para' style roleplaying or 'Verbose Response Roleplaying', as it's sometimes also called. I was going to start talking about it here, and realized I'd hate for a discussion on Para-RP to detract from this thread or even derail it.

I'm sure that your contributions would be welcome! Feel free to compose a post about your thoughts on this style of roleplay.
[Avatar drawn by Dusky Hues; Thank you!]

Dusky Hues

Quote from: PrincessButton on 2016 Mar 02, 12:52:53
I'm sure that your contributions would be welcome! Feel free to compose a post about your thoughts on this style of roleplay.

I actually started writing down my thoughts to see if they would fill a separate post, and they certainly do! I'm actually very glad I didn't start it here! I'll see what I can come up with and try to make it as comprehensive as this lovely post! <3

Go Up