Dumb things that annoy you

Started by Zaner-Boy, 2012 Jun 01, 14:30:22

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Sweet Brew

Spoiler: OCD stuff • show
[quote author=Midnight Breeze link=topic=2523.msg1000954#msg1000954 date=1473446170]
People need to stop throwing around the term OCD so liberally. Everyone likes cleanliness and order, it doesn't mean you have OCD, and it stems from a popular misunderstanding of what obsessive-compulsive disorder really is. Some people are just more anal about cleanliness than others, they are called neat freaks. It's not a mental disorder, it's just a personality trait.

True obsessive-compulsive disorder is a horrible and extremely debilitating mental illness. Just as the name suggests, it's about obsessive thoughts and going through rituals; or compulsions, related to the obsession. These obsessions are usually completely devoid of logic or reason, the sufferer is not insane, they know their compulsions are irrational, but they have to do them in order to satisfy their obsession. An OCD sufferer's obsessions can be literally anything, it isn't necessarily related to cleanliness or order.

For example, an OCD sufferer may be a woman who is convinced; in the absence of any evidence, that she's being watched in her home. She's so obsessed and distraught that she's unable to live her daily life. Every hour she has to walk around her home making sure all the blinds are closed so that nobody can see in the windows. She has to check all her closets and behind all her furniture to make sure nobody is hiding anywhere. She has to thoroughly check every nook and cranny for hidden cameras. At night, she has to get up every half hour, turn on her lights, check under her bed and in her closet to make sure there's nobody in her room watching her sleep. If she doesn't do these things then she will be utterly unable to let herself relax, possibly having panic attacks. She KNOWS that her fears are irrational, but that knowledge doesn't make them go away, she can't help it.

THAT is obsessive-compulsive disorder. Getting uncomfortable when you walk into a filthy room is not OCD, it's called being a normal human being. It is extremely insulting to real OCD sufferers to say you have OCD just because you like to keep your video game collection alphabetized or something.
[/quote]

It's why I always say I have "OCPD", because OCPD just means you're a neat freak, not like an actual illness. :P
Though I have at times wondered if mine would be classified officially as OCD as I haven't been able to sleep if I touch one of my water bottles without a napkin (Unless I watched it) or something. lol

My mind catalogs exactly where what was and what it touched and what that touched and stuff.
But I still say it's just OCPD because I don't want to be one of those "Self diagnosed" people who just throw around terms they hear.

Though, any rational person might think like I do seeing as our dog pukes, poops or pees in our house basically daily.
I don't care if we cleaned it with soap and stuff, the floor is still discolored and that scares me. lol

Chromastone64

Spoiler: Another rant about games. This time, I'm REALLY mad, so expect caps. • show

You have got to be FREAKING kidding me.
Skyrim Remastered for PS4 won't be supporting mods like they said it would, because (apparently) Sony doesn't like them.
...The best thing to happen to PS4 games is being cut out for no reason. The ONE THING that makes PC gaming annoyingly better (because my laptop can't run anything more then WoW and TF2) isn't going to be a thing anymore for my console.
I am getting SICK AND FREAKING TIRED of game devs/publishers being COMPLETE IDIOTS and not following through! FOR SUCH STUPID REASONS AS WELL. Sony is SO bloody lucky I've put so much time into PS games in my life, otherwise I'd freakin' smash one of my PS4s (or at least sell it).
Sony HAD BETTER come and clear this up, because right now, I'm SO LIVID, I'M GONNA NEED MY PUNCHING BACK SOON.
A self-proclaimed "jack-of-all-media-types". I tend to say "freaking" a lot.<br />My OCs: http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=13316.0

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: Chromastone64 on 2016 Sep 09, 19:02:41
Spoiler: Another rant about games. This time, I'm REALLY mad, so expect caps. • show

You have got to be FREAKING kidding me.
Skyrim Remastered for PS4 won't be supporting mods like they said it would, because (apparently) Sony doesn't like them.
...The best thing to happen to PS4 games is being cut out for no reason. The ONE THING that makes PC gaming annoyingly better (because my laptop can't run anything more then WoW and TF2) isn't going to be a thing anymore for my console.
I am getting SICK AND FREAKING TIRED of game devs/publishers being COMPLETE IDIOTS and not following through! FOR SUCH STUPID REASONS AS WELL. Sony is SO bloody lucky I've put so much time into PS games in my life, otherwise I'd freakin' smash one of my PS4s (or at least sell it).
Sony HAD BETTER come and clear this up, because right now, I'm SO LIVID, I'M GONNA NEED MY PUNCHING BACK SOON.

I'm normally not a Bethesda apologist, but I can't see them being at fault for that. It's clear Bethesda fought with Sony for a long time trying to get them to approve the user-mod community, but Sony refused. It's probably that Sony wants to charge for mods and take a percentage of the proceeds, which Bethesda won't do. They tried doing that with the Steam community not long ago and it caused a lot of controversy, almost immediately after the paid mod service launched it was taken down and Valve gave refunds to everyone who bought mods, Bethesda and Valve both apologized and admitted that paid mods were a bad idea, pledging to never charge for user-created content. They aren't going to make that mistake again with the PS4 community.

The blame for this lies entirely with Sony. Bethesda didn't lie, they tried their best to deliver but Sony blocked it.

Chromastone64

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2016 Sep 09, 19:23:08
I'm normally not a Bethesda apologist, but I can't see them being at fault for that. It's clear Bethesda fought with Sony for a long time trying to get them to approve the user-mod community, but Sony refused. It's probably that Sony wants to charge for mods and take a percentage of the proceeds, which Bethesda won't do. They tried doing that with the Steam community not long ago and it caused a lot of controversy, almost immediately after the paid mod service launched it was taken down and Valve gave refunds to everyone who bought mods, Bethesda and Valve both apologized and admitted that paid mods were a bad idea, pledging to never charge for user-created content. They aren't going to make that mistake again with the PS4 community.

The blame for this lies entirely with Sony. Bethesda didn't lie, they tried their best to deliver but Sony blocked it.

I know it was Sony, not Bethesda. I'm just sick things that've been promised getting cut out of games for any reason.
A self-proclaimed "jack-of-all-media-types". I tend to say "freaking" a lot.<br />My OCs: http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=13316.0

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Sweet Brew on 2016 Sep 09, 18:50:49
Spoiler: OCD stuff • show

It's why I always say I have "OCPD", because OCPD just means you're a neat freak, not like an actual illness. :P
Though I have at times wondered if mine would be classified officially as OCD as I haven't been able to sleep if I touch one of my water bottles without a napkin (Unless I watched it) or something. lol

My mind catalogs exactly where what was and what it touched and what that touched and stuff.
But I still say it's just OCPD because I don't want to be one of those "Self diagnosed" people who just throw around terms they hear.

Though, any rational person might think like I do seeing as our dog pukes, poops or pees in our house basically daily.
I don't care if we cleaned it with soap and stuff, the floor is still discolored and that scares me. lol

While self-diagnosing is often taken to a ridiculous level, some people who self-diagnose don't have the money to go get a professional diagnosis and have to make due with trying to figure out what's wrong themselves.

It's like how tons of people in America will just keep living with a problem until it goes away or gets bad enough to send them to the ER. They don't have the money to go to the doctor, especially if it might be nothing or something really easily taken care of with medicine you can buy on a shelf at Walmart, in which case, paying for that doctor visit was a waste of money.
One of my parents' friends is actually in the hospital right now after going for about a month with lung pain that started out small and kept getting worse. It turns out, his lung was filling with fluid. He had been self-medicating with Aleve so he wouldn't have to pay for a doctor visit.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Midnight Breeze

Elite: Dangerous has got to be the most inadvertently terrifying game I've ever played. Amnesia can't hold a candle to this game.

First there's the eerie feeling of utter loneliness when you're out in dead space AUs away from the nearest person, and the sheer ominousness of being near large celestial bodies, but that's not the worst of it...

Crashing out of supercruise is practically a jumpscare. When you get thrown out of supercruise there is a loud BANG sound and your ship spins out of control for several seconds. You never know exactly when it will happen...which is why I stay WAAAAAY far away from stars and planets when supercruising, I'm terrified that I'll run into the bodies gravity well and crash out. Also, pirate ships will often interdict you which is a jumpscare in itself. I'm really paranoid about other ships flying anywhere near me.

And oh God...the white dwarfs. You never forget your first encounter with those buggers. It SUCKS. They're so dense that they will often crash you out of supercruise and start roasting you with heat damage mere milliseconds after exiting hyperspace. I  have nightmares about those things. I'm actually paranoid about jumping to a new star system, when I'm in hyperspace headed towards the system I'm thinking "Oh God, please don't be a white dwarf, please don't be a white dwarf."

Heck, even just visiting a space station could give a man a heart attack:

I've still yet to encounter a black hole...I'm not looking forward to it, honestly...

Dang space, you scary. Whatever, still better than No Man's Sky.

Sweet Brew

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2016 Sep 10, 23:08:43
Elite: Dangerous has got to be the most inadvertently terrifying game I've ever played. Amnesia can't hold a candle to this game.

That game always reminds me of Slyph Storm because his last video on his channel is him playing that saying how he's moving on. D:

I tried resetting my sleep schedule because it was all derped up again, like waking up at 8PM and stuff.... But now I keep only getting 3-5 hours of sleep for some odd reason.
My stupid body keeps waking me up at the wrong times, then I can't get back to sleep.
Every few nights I'll crash and sleep 12 hours and have to reset my schedule again though.

This is annoying.
It's the worst of insomnia and fatigue. lol

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: Sweet Brew on 2016 Sep 11, 17:13:40
I tried resetting my sleep schedule because it was all derped up again, like waking up at 8PM and stuff.... But now I keep only getting 3-5 hours of sleep for some odd reason.
My stupid body keeps waking me up at the wrong times, then I can't get back to sleep.
Every few nights I'll crash and sleep 12 hours and have to reset my schedule again though.

This is annoying.
It's the worst of insomnia and fatigue. lol

That happens when you don't have anything to get up for. You need to find a reason to get up in the morning and everything will fall into place. Finding a job or volunteer work would be best because it's most urgent. Another task like chores, cooking, or exercise could work but you'll need the self-motivation to do it.

Stardust Dragon

Monday I did pretty much nothing actually productive (besides going to class, which is something I don't consider "productive" as much as "routine") save for dropping by the campus security office in order to try and update the permissions on my ID.  They update it with ease and I feel good about myself for doing something out of my way that needed doing.

Today, I try to use my new updated card where I need it to work...and it doesn't.  :facehoof:

I suppose I should count myself lucky by saying it still could access my meal points, so not a total loss I guess?

Sweet Brew

I misread the date to the mane competition and was a few days late, so my entry is practically pointless. :c

Midnight Breeze

I can't believe how stuborn my mom and stepdad can be sometimes. They just believe the first thing they hear and never bother questioning it, and they fail to account for the fact that things can and do change over time. Just because something was true 2 decades ago doesn't mean it's true now. It's 2016, the internet is available almost anytime and anyplace with smartphones, therefor there is ABSOLUTELY NO excuse for not fact checking everything you hear, and keeping yourself updated.

I had to argue with them for literally 20 minutes to convince them that the US dollar is not backed by gold. Yes, 45 years after the gold standard was abolished they still think it's backed by gold. I told them that I've looked up facts like this up on the internet and that things do change, but they weren't having it. "I don't care what you've heard on that computer of yours, I know what I know." They'd say. Finally the conversation ended something like this:

Me: *Heavy, exaggerated sigh* Okay, Google!

Google: *Boop, boop?*

Me: Is the US dollar backed by gold?

Google: No, as of 1971 U.S. citizens have been able to utilize Federal Reserve Notes as the only form of money that for the first time had no currency with any gold or silver backing.

Me: Happy now?!

Chishio Kunrin

That moment when I start to wake up, and I want to get up, but before I can wake up enough to do it, my friend's gigantic heavy cat lays down on my arm and throat and pins me. And then I fall asleep again.

That happened today. :c

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

OldenEmpire

Ponies with buttons. How are they supposed to do up or undo a button? Hooves alone aren't going to cut it, and don't say magic, that used to 'hand'wave too many things as it is by the fandom and staff.
What is the strongest weapon of ponykind? The Elements of Harmony? No! The Princesses? No! The cannon? The spear? The horn? Not at all! Courage and courage alone stands above them all!

Sweet Brew

Slept in to 2AM, I'm just going to pull an all-nighter and reset my schedule....
I'm not a lazy bum.... DD:
Please don't judge me. :s

Midnight Breeze

I wanna know who started this millennial "entitlement" nonsense. Personally I've never seen it. In my experience millennials are an extremely enthusiastic and hard working bunch. The problem is that bright, talented millennials are understandably frustrated at being trapped behind a wall of baby boomers on the career ladder with little opportunity for advancement, which I don't think is unreasonable.

We grew up being told that hard work and dedication will take us places, and you're shocked to see that we're upset it's not true? Most companies are simply not meritocratic, promotions and raises are based more on seniority than anything. So Donna Do-Nothing who's currently sleeping at her desk while you do her work for her? Yep, she'll get the promotion before you simply because she's been there longer.

Millennials aren't entitled, they just know what they're capable of and dislike being needlessly held back by bureaucracy. Like when I was working at the corn dog factory in Dallas. I was determined to do a good job, prove my worth and move up. The very first week on the job I walked right into my bosses office and said "Hey boss, I understand we're in need of machine operators. I'm absolutely interested in learning, how can I prove I'm capable?" That's roughly how I remember wording it. I didn't walk in and demand to be made CEO, all I asked for was a fair chance to prove my worth.

Most managers probably would have rolled their eyes at me and thought "Typical millennial." But my boss recognized it as strong work ethic and enthusiasm that the company needed. He started watching me close and determined that I was totally capable and argued with the bigwigs on my behalf for weeks to try and help get me promoted. Even though they DESPERATELY needed machine operators and I was the only one volunteering they still wouldn't promote me because I hadn't been with the company 6 months yet. How does that make any sense?

Well, practically the day I hit my 6 month tenure I was promoted thanks to that boss. I quickly learned the new job and became one of the favorite operators among the workers. My workers told me "All the other lines have so much downtime, but yours runs smoothly all the time, it's a lot less stressful working on your line." Unfortunately the boss who had been my advocate quit, and I was treated like a workbot after that for the rest of my time working there.

If more managers were like the one who helped me then millennials wouldn't be complaining. Even if I had failed as a machine operator I would have been thankful for at least being given a chance. That's all millennials want, a fair CHANCE to prove their merit. We grew up being told that good ideas hard work sores, yet all we're seeing is companies eating their young left and right. Bright, enthusiastic young millennials don't like being stuck mopping floors and serving coffee while senior employees get first dibs on all the good jobs simply because they've been there longer. It's completely absurd that millennials are mocked and scoffed-at for being enthusiastic and eager work to their full potential, aren't those the kind of traits that should be praised and sought after by employers?

Sweet Brew

I don't understand myself.

I got 12 hours of sleep and I still am dead tired, people tell me I'm over sleeping.
I get 6 hours of sleep and I'm still dead tired, people tell me it's not enough.
I get 8 hours of sleep I'm still dead tired, people blame my diet and lifestyle.
Blah blah blah, still tired.

I don't get it, no matter what I do I always have to drag myself out of bed and am too tired to think straight the rest of the day.
Funny thing is I still have insomnia. lol
I can't fall asleep for like.... 3-5 hours.
Thankfully I don't have something I need to wake up for because when I did it was killing meeeeeeeee. DD:

It's like whatever I do I always end up so tired or with insomnia or more often than not both!
*Sigh* I suppose I'll just adjust regardless of stamina have to keep pushing myself. :s
Complaining does me no good, lol.

LostSanity

Spoiler: show

#FinalFantasyXV

#Persona5

#IWantADigimonComeback

#TheEndofLostSanity?
[shadow=gray,left]I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT REIGNS[/shadow]

The Roman Reigns of the forum

Midnight Breeze

I love Neil deGrasse Tyson, I really do. He's one of my greatest role models, in fact.

But those gaudy ties he wears, man...

Chromastone64

Spoiler: Long rant about college English • show
Ok, so I'm redoing my English course this year (only got a D, even if I'm not that bothered). The way it worked last year was we did four "controlled asessments", and then a final exam. The assessments were mini-tests that we were taught about on the lead up to each one. The assessments were:
1. Write a letter from a WW1 soldier to their family (which I did really good in)
2. Write a letter/anecdote from the view of a homeless person (again, did really well in this)
3. Analyze slang (this is where I faltered a bit, mainly because I don't know that much slang. What the heck is "lit" and "fleek" meant to mean?!)
4. Analyze the characters in "Of Mice And Men.
And then the exam.

Now here's my problem with the course: IT'S. SO. DEPRESSING.
The first two are their interpretation of "creative writing". I HATED doing those two, because they're SO SAD AND UNSETTLING. I don't really want to know about all the horrid things that happened in the trenches, and I hated seeing those videos of scared homeless people. Plus the final one is one OF MICE AND MEN. I know, it's a VERY well made book, and I don't want to disrespect the author, but good lord, academia, FIND A NEW BOOK FOR ONCE! I and most of my age group are sick of it!
Now back to the first two; they're too similar. There's basically no point in the first one if we're leaning to write a letter AND an anecdote. And their version of "creative writing" is to LIMIT us and give us a specific topic? There's LOADS of other things we could do that would be much more varied and less depressing. Let us think up a story and write 3 pages of it. Tell us to write a detailed bio for a character. Tell us to describe a location THAT WE CAN PICK! ANYTHING ELSE THEN DEPRESSING LETTERS!
And do you know what the absolute worst part of it is?
IT'S EXACTLY THE SAME THIS YEAR. LETTER, LETTER, SLANG, MICE. No differance what so ever! So essentially, I've got to waste a year's worth of free lesson time learning nothing because they didn't bother to change anything this year! There's also the fact that I KNOW I'm good at writing: my teacher actually said I should send my film script off to an actual producer once I finish it! So it's DOUBLEY USELESS!

Stardust Dragon

The more I learn about sound design, the less I understand about my school's sound setup.  As far as I can tell, the audio we have in our theater is scientifically designed to circumvent the mixing board wherever possible.

This...I...how...what...  o_o

It's not a good sign that now I'm going to walk into the booth at work and constantly scream at the mixer "WHAT DO YOU EVEN DO!?"

Go Up