Post-Season 4 discussion

Started by Weatherboy1, 2013 Aug 20, 16:31:14

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

jessebrony7

Spoiler: show
I saw some movie references in the latest episode! lol! Did any other pony saw them?

lemongrass

Quote from: Yellowpikmin476 on 2014 Jan 27, 00:34:55
I definitely liked it! I hardly expected Discord to sing! But it was good! I hope for Big Mac to sing next. Granny Smith got to, so I suppose Big Mac should too. But it was a great episode. I liked it.

Actually you can hear Big Mac singing during the chorus XD

SonicisDashing

Quote from: Dawnstar on 2014 Jan 26, 21:50:36
Honestly, I thought Discord was just being Discord. He may be "reformed," but all that really means is that he won't cause chaos on a mass scale. True chaos, while not inherently evil, is never truly good either, and this was a good display of Discord being himself (and he really is a "big, dumb meanie") while still staying well enough within his boundaries.

The song was certainly catchy. Really catchy actually, got stuck in my head for the good part of a day up until I logged into LoE and the music in game drowned it out. Still trying to figure out what all the song was based off of though. Parts of it reminded me of the genie's song from Aladdin, but there's something else I can't quite quite pin to it that seems familiar.

Overall though I actually really enjoyed this episode and was laughing through almost the whole thing. The only thing I didn't really like was Pinkie's "ooh shiny" moments, but they've been doing weird things with her all season now so I'm sadly going to assume she's going to be like through the finale. Can only hope they tone down her behavior next season.

Should probably still use spoilers for even minor things about the episodes until Mondays. I've had the smallest things give away parts of an episode no matter how hard I try to avoid them beforehand.

Can I be real? I don't like this "Discord being Discord" attitude.

It's not that he's causing general mischief for fun, at this point he's being manipulative and purposely trying to make ponies miserable (or himself happy at their expense) which becomes pretty abusive behavior. This wouldn't be so bad if the episodes and their lessons didn't blatantly ignore it and treat it like "ooh, it's just Discord, it's totally okay". It reminds me a frightening amount of "boys will be boys". It doesn't matter if it's Discord or not, he shouldn't be on a different moral pedestal from everypony else. He should be punished for how he is behaving.

Most of my thoughts of this episode can be seen as nitpicks. But really, I just didn't like it very much. What I was happy about was getting to see Twilight Sparkle and Cadence together in an episode again. The two of them bounce off each other very well as they both play straight mare.

Night Pony

Quote from: SonicisDashing on 2014 Jan 27, 15:21:41
Quote from: Dawnstar on 2014 Jan 26, 21:50:36
Honestly, I thought Discord was just being Discord. He may be "reformed," but all that really means is that he won't cause chaos on a mass scale. True chaos, while not inherently evil, is never truly good either, and this was a good display of Discord being himself (and he really is a "big, dumb meanie") while still staying well enough within his boundaries.

The song was certainly catchy. Really catchy actually, got stuck in my head for the good part of a day up until I logged into LoE and the music in game drowned it out. Still trying to figure out what all the song was based off of though. Parts of it reminded me of the genie's song from Aladdin, but there's something else I can't quite quite pin to it that seems familiar.

Overall though I actually really enjoyed this episode and was laughing through almost the whole thing. The only thing I didn't really like was Pinkie's "ooh shiny" moments, but they've been doing weird things with her all season now so I'm sadly going to assume she's going to be like through the finale. Can only hope they tone down her behavior next season.

Should probably still use spoilers for even minor things about the episodes until Mondays. I've had the smallest things give away parts of an episode no matter how hard I try to avoid them beforehand.

Can I be real? I don't like this "Discord being Discord" attitude.

It's not that he's causing general mischief for fun, at this point he's being manipulative and purposely trying to make ponies miserable (or himself happy at their expense) which becomes pretty abusive behavior. This wouldn't be so bad if the episodes and their lessons didn't blatantly ignore it and treat it like "ooh, it's just Discord, it's totally okay". It reminds me a frightening amount of "boys will be boys". It doesn't matter if it's Discord or not, he shouldn't be on a different moral pedestal from everypony else. He should be punished for how he is behaving.

Most of my thoughts of this episode can be seen as nitpicks. But really, I just didn't like it very much. What I was happy about was getting to see Twilight Sparkle and Cadence together in an episode again. The two of them bounce off each other very well as they both play straight mare.

But then again they don't have the power to imprison him again so they might as well stay on good terms with him.

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

GoldenTerrabyte

In the episode, Pinkie on more than one occasion went "Shiny..." at the balloon. And in Equestria Girls at the beginning, she said "Sometimes you just wanna jump up and down and yell YAY ME!". Also in EG, she was all "Sparkly!" at the mirror. Is Pinkie becoming London Tipton?! And just in case you were wondering, that ISN'T a good thing. To me, at least.
I'm back

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Yellowpikmin476 on 2014 Jan 28, 00:24:52
In the episode, Pinkie on more than one occasion went "Shiny..." at the balloon. And in Equestria Girls at the beginning, she said "Sometimes you just wanna jump up and down and yell YAY ME!". Also in EG, she was all "Sparkly!" at the mirror. Is Pinkie becoming London Tipton?! And just in case you were wondering, that ISN'T a good thing. To me, at least.

I thought she liked the balloons because her cutie mark is balloons. :I I hope she doesn't become a ditz like London Tipton.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

sammym07

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2014 Jan 28, 20:23:47
Quote from: Yellowpikmin476 on 2014 Jan 28, 00:24:52

I thought she liked the balloons because her cutie mark is balloons. :I I hope she doesn't become a ditz like London Tipton.

lol PREY

I can't turn this around
I keep running into walls that I can't break down
I said I just wander around
With my eyes wide shut because of you

blobking156

That episode was AMAZING with a capital "AMAZING!" Weird Al was perfect to voice Cheese sandwitch. and the name "Cheese" kind of reminds of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

Coffee Rush

2014 Feb 01, 14:03:40 #288 Last Edit: 2014 Feb 01, 14:17:58 by Coffee Rush
So many references in this episode. "Oh, then... Make it 3:10 to Goofoff." ( 3:10 to Yuma ) Not to mention it seems like a western. From the number of candles on the cake visible, Rainbow Dash is 21. She obviously isn't in her forties, so I'm going to assume she's 21. Also, I heard a tinge of Weird Al's own songs in some of the songs in the show. I liked the episode.
My OC can be found here!

Buddy Minute

Ima need to rewatch this one a bunch of times, there's so many good things in the background. Like on my second viewing, I noticed all the background ponies in Kid Pinkie's party. Bonbon is rocking dork glasses, plus every well known background pony is there! Also Berry Punch is an adult...so I guess she's much older then everyone else. Also apparently something happened to Cherry Berry, she's fine at the start of the episode but later needs surgery? Basically, this episode is full of visual goodies.

The episode itself is true to what a Pinkie episode should be. Pure fun.  :D I couldn't help but smile during this thing. This is exactly what her "key episode" should be.

Pipkin

Can you say AWESOME MUSICAL EPISODE!!!
Literally the entire episode was one big musical and all the songs were AMAZING!  Hands down the best episode in Season 4, and might break my top 5.

It's interesting to see based on Cheese's backstory and Pinkie's age that it looks like Pinkie moved to ponyville right after getting her cutie mark.....if that's true it would be interesting how she managed to move there on her  own at such a young age.

dynamite

Quote from: Coffee Rush on 2014 Feb 01, 14:03:40
So many references in this episode. "Oh, then... Make it 3:10 to Goofoff." ( 3:10 to Yuma ) Not to mention it seems like a western. From the number of candles on the cake visible, Rainbow Dash is 21. She obviously isn't in her forties, so I'm going to assume she's 21. Also, I heard a tinge of Weird Al's own songs in some of the songs in the show. I liked the episode.

Then again there could be candles at the back, kind of weird to have only candles in the front and not encircling.

Coffee Rush

Quote from: dynamite on 2014 Feb 01, 23:54:47

Then again there could be candles at the back, kind of weird to have only candles in the front and not encircling.

I was thinking of this.  :P I stick with she's 21, as Rainbow Dash isn't in her forties. ( As far as I can tell, anyways... )
My OC can be found here!

Chishio Kunrin

2014 Feb 02, 04:11:22 #293 Last Edit: 2014 Feb 02, 04:16:15 by Chishio Kunrin
This episode was awesome!
I kept seeing that rainbow everywhere in the episode, from streamers to the balloons Pinkie tried to use to help build a tower. It's not exactly a rainbow, though. It's the coat colors of the mane six. Has anyone else noticed that?

At least one of the songs Cheese Sandwich sang kind of reminded me of an actual Weird Al song, but I can't place my finger on it.

There was so much Derpy! Derp derp Derpy! Following the crowd to meet Cheese Sandwich, helping hang up Rainbow Dash flag streamers, drinking chocolate out of a chocolate fondue fountain (That's unsanitary, Derpy!), filly Derpy in Cheese's flashback!

Post Merge

Oh, also, was Pinkie singing in Spanish when she brought out the giant pinata during the Goof Off? :o

GoldenTerrabyte

Ah, that was really good! I like that they had him playing an accordion. That is because Weird Al's first instrument was an accordion. I think that it was really funny and well written. And I was afraid he might not sing in it, because otherwise having Weird Al would be pointless. But he did, and it came out great!
Quote from: Coffee Rush on 2014 Feb 02, 00:58:33
Quote from: dynamite on 2014 Feb 01, 23:54:47

I was thinking of this.  :P I stick with she's 21, as Rainbow Dash isn't in her forties. ( As far as I can tell, anyways... )

Her voice is too high for her to be in her forties. If she was in her forties, she would sound more like a woman.
I'm back

Dawnstar

Definitely an awesome episode and probably going to be one of my top ones for the season depending on how good upcoming ones are. This episode also brought back the side of Pinkie Pie's personality that I have been missing. Overall I thought it was well-scripted, well-paced and kept me smiling so long my face started to hurt. Going to have to watch through it again myself sometime as I know I missed a lot.

Quote from: Pipkin on 2014 Feb 01, 18:00:18
[spoiler]It's interesting to see based on Cheese's backstory and Pinkie's age that it looks like Pinkie moved to ponyville right after getting her cutie mark.....if that's true it would be interesting how she managed to move there on her  own at such a young age.

[/quote]
Really depends, we don't exactly know where the Pie family's rock farm is. It could be right outside Ponyville somewhere in which case it wouldn't be much of a stretch for her to show up there. I myself lived a good seven miles or so from the nearest town as a kid and I still rode my bike there to have fun with friends.

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2014 Feb 02, 04:11:22
Oh, also, was Pinkie singing in Spanish when she brought out the giant pinata during the Goof Off? :o

I believe she was, no idea what she was saying of course. Spanish didn't really stick with me as a language.

I'm going to agree with Dash being 21 if that's how many candles were visible. Yes in reality there would be candles on the other side as well, but this is a cartoon, and usually only the visible candles on the cake tend to be relevant to the character's age. I also remember reading somewhere that their intended ages were supposed to be between 17 and 19, and while I haven't been able to find the post to confirm it it makes more sense for her to be hitting her 20s than her 40s (not to mention, if that was their intended age range as characters it would probably make Rainbow one of the oldest of the six then as well).

Of course it could always just be a ridiculously big cake and the candles have no bearing on her actual age.[/spoiler]

GoldenTerrabyte

Quote from: Dawnstar on 2014 Feb 02, 09:23:32
Definitely an awesome episode and probably going to be one of my top ones for the season depending on how good upcoming ones are. This episode also brought back the side of Pinkie Pie's personality that I have been missing. Overall I thought it was well-scripted, well-paced and kept me smiling so long my face started to hurt. Going to have to watch through it again myself sometime as I know I missed a lot.

Quote from: Pipkin on 2014 Feb 01, 18:00:18
[spoiler]It's interesting to see based on Cheese's backstory and Pinkie's age that it looks like Pinkie moved to ponyville right after getting her cutie mark.....if that's true it would be interesting how she managed to move there on her  own at such a young age.

Really depends, we don't exactly know where the Pie family's rock farm is. It could be right outside Ponyville somewhere in which case it wouldn't be much of a stretch for her to show up there. I myself lived a good seven miles or so from the nearest town as a kid and I still rode my bike there to have fun with friends.

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2014 Feb 02, 04:11:22

I believe she was, no idea what she was saying of course. Spanish didn't really stick with me as a language.

I'm going to agree with Dash being 21 if that's how many candles were visible. Yes in reality there would be candles on the other side as well, but this is a cartoon, and usually only the visible candles on the cake tend to be relevant to the character's age. I also remember reading somewhere that their intended ages were supposed to be between 17 and 19, and while I haven't been able to find the post to confirm it it makes more sense for her to be hitting her 20s than her 40s (not to mention, if that was their intended age range as characters it would probably make Rainbow one of the oldest of the six then as well).

Of course it could always just be a ridiculously big cake and the candles have no bearing on her actual age.[/spoiler]
[/quote]
I believe that she is 21, especially with that, because that was a few seasons back, so she easily could have been 19 then and be 21 now.
I'm back

Dawnstar

That is a good point, especially since the time span between the beginning of season 1 and the end of season 3 supposedly covers a year.

Actually, that brings up an interesting thought. Since the last summer sun festival wasn't all that long ago, is effectively the summer solstice and we haven't had a fall/wintery episode yet (assuming we get one at all). I would say Dash's birthday probably falls within the month of July, maybe early August at the latest.

Of course that is assuming any amount of accuracy with all this speculation in the first place.

LostSanity

2014 Feb 02, 17:22:02 #298 Last Edit: 2014 Feb 03, 11:42:42 by Chishio Kunrin
I... um...

I don't know what to say about this episode.

At the end... I was like "What the hay did I just watch?!"

But... kind of in a good way.

That was... a very weird episode. Again... in a good way.

Sorry... I just... don't know what to say about this episode.

X3
[shadow=gray,left]I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT REIGNS[/shadow]

The Roman Reigns of the forum

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: LostSanity on 2014 Feb 02, 17:22:02
I... um...

I don't know what to say about this episode.

At the end... I was like "What the hay did I just watch?!"

But... kind of in a good way.

That was... a very weird episode. Again... in a good way.

Sorry... I just... don't know what to say about this episode.

X3

Of course it was weird. It had Weird Al Yankovic in it. :3

Go Up