Open Server Weekend Update

Started by Ellowee, 2015 Jan 24, 14:48:31

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Thrasher Dash

can you fix cantermore,heartlands,and other places that are broken if you can then thats wonderful  ^-^
If you see Princess Twilight (Unicorn) or Thrasher Dash (Pegasus) that's me!

lily water

Well I'm new so I haven't got a chance to

MagicTricks

Quote from: Prince Nightblade on 2015 Jan 24, 20:48:19
there are three but we need at least five

I haven't seen any so far. So I don't know you guys can see three and I can see none.

Sgt_Brony

Ehh, I'll wait till the game is fully functional.  I still haven't even installed and played it.

Leonexus

Quote from: Leo Rave on 2015 Jan 24, 19:30:09
Well, if there was ever a screen to get stuck in, I'm glad it was Cantermore's. Hirosashii's tunes are so calming~   :')

I agree completely  :D
Hope everypony has a fantastic day!

Galapagois

Hey all! We know there's a lot of problems with the game at the moment, and you can bet your behind we're working ours off to get everything working as well as it possibly can. There's been a lot of trouble for us to deal with on our end, from that rather inconvenient attack on our servers to just general massive overcrowding, but we're doing our best to sort everything out - and this kind of experience will be invaluable for later development of the game.

I just want to thank you all for being patient with us during all this. LoE, after all, is still in a pre-alpha state, and these tests are fantastic for us to get as much info as possible about the game to make sure that, when it's finished, it'll hopefully run smoothly; you are all helping us to make this game better!

In the mean time, the servers are still open, and (barring any further naughty shenanigans) should be remaining open until the planned end at 11:59pm EST on January 26th. We don't plan to extend the servers beyond that time; they're not free, after all, and everybody on the team here is a volunteer on the project, with real-life stuff to do during the week. You know, jobs and education and other sucky stuff. It's pretty hard to maintain the game while most of the team is MIA!

Also, a quick note on waiting lists: I know they're super frustrating, but they are fairly typical for MMO games like this. i can't tell you the amount of times I had to wait for a number to tick down before I could get online, back in my WoW days! We are working on things at our end, but for now, I'm afraid you'll just have to be patient!
Head of LoE Public Relations, King of Support, and a nuisance!

Thrasher Dash

If you see Princess Twilight (Unicorn) or Thrasher Dash (Pegasus) that's me!

RebelliousWaffle

how long does this last have been waiting for over an hour to get into the game with no avail. still on the arial view n would really like to get some time into today. ovO

Galapagois

Quote from: RebelliousWaffle on 2015 Jan 24, 21:53:40
how long does this last have been waiting for over an hour to get into the game with no avail. still on the arial view n would really like to get some time into today. ovO

Hard to tell; it depends on how popular the area you're trying to get into is! if you've been waiting that long, though, it might be best to try logging out and go for a different server, or try a different area (each pony race starts off in their own city, so if you can't get online as a unicorn in Cantermore, maybe try going as a pegasus in Cloudopolis, at least until things calm down!)

RebelliousWaffle

Quote from: Galapagois on 2015 Jan 24, 21:59:44
Hard to tell; it depends on how popular the area you're trying to get into is! if you've been waiting that long, though, it might be best to try logging out and go for a different server, or try a different area (each pony race starts off in their own city, so if you can't get online as a unicorn in Cantermore, maybe try going as a pegasus in Cloudopolis, at least until things calm down!)

thanks for the info

LostSanity

Not a good enough excuse. Please extend it for those of us that couldn't play today.
[shadow=gray,left]I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT REIGNS[/shadow]

The Roman Reigns of the forum

noah6411

Step 1: Extend open server weekend

Step 2: Find the little scrub who did this and report him to the FBI

Step 3: Get to his house first and videotape SWAT busting his door down

Do these three steps to achieve greatness.

Dashieisbestpony

If anything, another server would probably help chill down the wait time, and even though I know that you are all working your butts off to do this, it would be very much appreciated!
Oof it's been too long

Dawnstar

Two suggestions I would like to make:

1: Maybe find a way to notify in-game that the aerial view is a waiting line for a busy zone. I thought something was wrong with the game so I kept restarting it (which of course just reset my position in the waiting line). If I had known that I was actually waiting in a queue I would've actually sat around rather than waste what free time I had to play in frustration thinking something was broke. As I mentioned earlier, this would probably have saved a TON of frustration for both you and the players.

2: More travel routes, preferably one between ponydale and cloudopolis because I highly doubt a lot of people know you can travel through the heartlands to get between the two towns. This is probably one of the big reasons why cantermore was so bogged down. Not only did you have unicorns spawning there, but you also had earth ponies and pegasi trying to travel back and forth between towns (though I'd bet there were more pegasi trying to get to ponydale than the other way around). Granted the heartlands was having a similar problem as cantermore but from the sounds of it it wasn't quite as bad.

LostSanity

I'm still getting stuck on the loading screen.

Fix this ridiculous "waitlist" please.

-SkyPow3r-

Quote from: noah6411 on 2015 Jan 24, 23:18:18
Step 1: Extend open server weekend

Step 2: Find the little scrub who did this and report him to the FBI

Step 3: Get to his house first and videotape SWAT busting his door down

Do these three steps to achieve greatness.

You forgot one think: ...And ask if he can scream "This is Democracy!".
Its okay...

Galapagois

Quote from: Dashieisbestpony on 2015 Jan 24, 23:24:16
If anything, another server would probably help chill down the wait time, and even though I know that you are all working your butts off to do this, it would be very much appreciated!

In an ideal world, we'd just be able to put up dozens of servers to deal with the load, but these things cost money and time to get sorted out, two things we don't really have a massive supply of. We're working on it, but don't expect miracles!

Quote from: Dawnstar on 2015 Jan 24, 23:28:20
Two suggestions I would like to make:

1: Maybe find a way to notify in-game that the aerial view is a waiting line for a busy zone. I thought something was wrong with the game so I kept restarting it (which of course just reset my position in the waiting line). If I had known that I was actually waiting in a queue I would've actually sat around rather than waste what free time I had to play in frustration thinking something was broke. As I mentioned earlier, this would probably have saved a TON of frustration for both you and the players.

2: More travel routes, preferably one between ponydale and cloudopolis because I highly doubt a lot of people know you can travel through the heartlands to get between the two towns. This is probably one of the big reasons why cantermore was so bogged down. Not only did you have unicorns spawning there, but you also had earth ponies and pegasi trying to travel back and forth between towns (though I'd bet there were more pegasi trying to get to ponydale than the other way around). Granted the heartlands was having a similar problem as cantermore but from the sounds of it it wasn't quite as bad.

I think a notification about waiting times is something we've got on the cards, thanks to this OSW; thanks for bringing it up, though! As for travel routes, I believe we plan to have them far more clearly signposted in the final version of the game, so getting around should be easier. We do have a little section on the 'servers are open' post that's supposed to explain how to get between areas, but it looks like it hasn't been updated in quite a while, so I'll try to prod people to get that sorted out!

Quote from: LostSanity on 2015 Jan 24, 23:33:29
I'm still getting stuck on the loading screen.

Fix this ridiculous "waitlist" please.

As I've said before, waitlists are (disappointingly) common in MMOs, especially duing busy periods; we're working on getting the times down, but there's not a lot we can do while the servers are so full. Again, as I said earlier, it might be best to try another area; Cantermore seems to be very full, for example, but Ponydale has been having fewer problems in my experience.

LostSanity

Quote from: Galapagois on 2015 Jan 24, 23:42:18
As I've said before, waitlists are (disappointingly) common in MMOs, especially duing busy periods; we're working on getting the times down, but there's not a lot we can do while the servers are so full. Again, as I said earlier, it might be best to try another area; Cantermore seems to be very full, for example, but Ponydale has been having fewer problems in my experience.

1. I want to play as my unicorn OC. I'm not playing as anything else.

2. Where was this "waitlist" during the last OSW?

Oh wait...

IT WASN'T THERE BECAUSE THERE WASN'T ONE.

Salnalus

Quote from: LostSanity on 2015 Jan 24, 23:49:54

Oh wait...

No need for much frustration at them. They're trying their best to get things sorted, and they can't do/fix everything, but they surely try their best to do what they can.

Galapagois

2015 Jan 24, 23:56:44 #59 Last Edit: 2015 Jan 25, 00:06:00 by Galapagois
Quote from: LostSanity on 2015 Jan 24, 23:49:54

Oh wait...

I'm not sure if the waitlist has been implemented previously or not. If it wasn't present last time, then not seeing it would probably be because of a couple of reasons:

a) assuming you're referring to the short-notice test we did in December, there were far, far, far fewer people trying to get onto the servers, due to the fact that we hadn't announced it long in advance like we did with this one, which would mean that the waitlist rarely (if ever) came into effect;

b) the server probably just refused to connect people to the game, rather than putting them on a waitlist and trying to get them in when it could. Personally, if I had to choose between 'being put on a list with a chance to get into the game eventually' and 'being outright rejected and having an error code spat at me', I'd pick the former. It's having troubles right now, sure, but hopefully that's something we can work on between right now (i.e. the middle of a test event) and future events/the actual release of the game; and/or

c) we weren't dealing/recovering from a DDoS attack at the time.

Go Up