Open Server Weekend Update

Started by Ellowee, 2015 Jan 24, 14:48:31

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

amymist

Maybe it's just because I got up in on this so late, but I really didn't have the experience-destroying issues that everyone is complaining about? The game crashed on login a few times, but the third time I tried it, it worked just fine. I had a little bit of wait before getting into some areas, but certainly not the 3-hour aerial-view jam session that I keep hearing about!

Other than the wait, I had some ulta-minor issues- the chat window kept jumping to the top and making it so I had to scroll down to see new messages, and the combat system was kind of frustrating- I couldn't always tell what my moves/actions were supposed to do. Also at some point my hotbar decided to ditch the emotes (sit, facehoof, etc.) and just copied the first half of the bar over them?

There was also some stuff that I won't mention because it has already been covered extensively by other people.

I wonder if maybe there might be a way to donate in the future, so that fans can help support the server costs? I understand completely if that's not possible due to legal concerns.

Thinking of that also has me wondering something totally unrelated to the OSW- do you guys think it would be possible to get specific permission from Hasbro to do this? I have seen way too many fan projects C&D'd when they start gaining traction, and I think that is a very very real threat with a game like this.

Stuff

2015 Jan 26, 22:53:15 #161 Last Edit: 2015 Jan 26, 23:08:16 by Stuff
Quote from: amymist on 2015 Jan 26, 14:13:15
Thinking of that also has me wondering something totally unrelated to the OSW- do you guys think it would be possible to get specific permission from Hasbro to do this? I have seen way too many fan projects C&D'd when they start gaining traction, and I think that is a very very real threat with a game like this.

Notice how copyrighted the names ingame are.
Seriously.
Just.. do that.
I don't think they CAN get C&D'd. Worse thing that can happen is maybe changing the name of the game, but I'm not sure anyone can copyright "Equestria".

Hash Myth

Quote from: Stuff on 2015 Jan 26, 22:53:15
Notice how copyrighted the names ingame are.
Seriously.
Just.. do that.
I don't think they CAN get C&D'd. Worse thing that can happen is maybe changing the name of the game, but I'm not sure anyone can copyright "Equestria".

All it takes is a boat load of money and a super greedy lawyer and even you can be copyright banned.

The only way to stay out of the way of copyright lawsuit is to stay free and only accept donations. Once the LoE team charges anything to play, Hasbro will shut it down quick.

Unless the LoE team pays like a 40% royality charge for it then Hasbro gets paid and we get real MLP content.

I could see Hasbro stealing LoE for there own greed.

Go Up